What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (7 Viewers)

Just watched this on Hulu. Its really, really good. Some articles say Cage could get an Oscar nomination for it. Wouldn't surprise me. He's excellent.
Thanks for the heads up about it being on Hulu. As insane as the premise of “someone steals Nicholas Cage’s truffle pig and he sets out to take it back” sounds, it was genuinely good. 

What’s the deal with Cronenberg? I’ve seen Scanners and Dead Ringers and I just don’t get the appeal. Anyone like his movies?
Yeah, I've liked several of his movies.  I don't think I would grade him out as an all-time director, but I think he has an interesting style and his earlier movies are go-tos for body horror, and I would guess that's what he is mostly famous for.   The Fly is probably the best example, but it's all over other movies like Existenz and Videodrome.      Off the top of my head I would say my faves are The Dead Zone, The Fly, and A History of Violence.   Some odd movies in his filmography for sure.  

Seems I like David Cronenberg movies more than I realized.  I really enjoyed several already mentioned, and I'd add Naked Lunch and Crash ( :bag:  ) as two more I liked, especially the former.  Somehow I never love one of his movies, but I've found many of them very good.

Red Notice is dumb fun.

It all hinges on how you feel about Ryan Reynolds. If you think the PG version of Deadpool is still petty funny, you'll likely enjoy it. 

But it is derivative and absurd and obvious that it's a Netflix rather than Big Studio movie.
Being a fan of Rock, Ryan and of course Gadot :wub:   I  Wasn't blown away as much as I expected to be. Still, a decent :popcorn:  movie.

Seems I like David Cronenberg movies more than I realized.  I really enjoyed several already mentioned, and I'd add Naked Lunch and Crash ( :bag:  ) as two more I liked, especially the former.  Somehow I never love one of his movies, but I've found many of them very good.
I liked Crash... don't remember if I mentioned it, although I did mention Naked Lunch.

we seem to have a similar take on Cronengberg. 

I watched 3 movies on planes over the past week.

Wrath of Man - Jason Statham doing Jason Statham things. the usual shoot em up heist/action flick, with a couple really good sequences. overall, good not great. 6.5/10

Old - M Night Shyamalan flick where people go to a secluded beach where time moves differently. as bad as it sounds, it's even worse. just don't. 3/10

Free Guy - Ryan Reynolds is a video game NPC who starts becoming aware of what's going on. this one is a lot of fun, with some good cameos. some goofy plot stuff in the 'real world', but the scenes within the game are mostly cool & hilarious. 8/10

whoknew said:
I'm sure I'll get mocked for this but anyone else love the Hallmark Christmas movies? I love them all.

Ok, there are too many to watch them all, but I make sure I watch a lot - especially if they have Lacey Chabert in them.
I am glued to both Hallmark Channels.

Danica McKellar is awesome. 

Army of Thieves....I never saw Army of the Dead and probably never will.

Anyway I enjoyed it. Another action/humorous type Netflix movie

Just watched Jane Campion’s The Power of the Dog on Netflix. It’s got a lot of Oscar buzz and it’s best to go into it with little knowledge. It’s a Western or better described as a drama in the setting of a western. Cumberbatch plays against type as a real ornery cowboy. I was interested and quite fascinated the whole time because it’s the kind of movie where you aren’t ever quite sure where it’s going even when you do. I was basically able to see where it would end up but it was so unsettling that it kept me off kilter the entire time. It’s not a movie you can bounce on and off the phone with, it is slow but demands attention. The best part was how gorgeous it looked. Just exquisitely filmed with some breathtaking scenery. Also for those with a 4K TV, this isn’t just in 4K but in Dolby Vision. I’ve never streamed anything that looked this good.

I watched Power of the Dog this weekend. Agree on all points. It did look gorgeous -- I just got a new OLED TV and it was a good way to see how that looked. I knew very little about the plot going in, and I think that worked out to the best. One of those that may merit a re-watch with the ending in mind.

I watched Power of the Dog this weekend. Agree on all points. It did look gorgeous -- I just got a new OLED TV and it was a good way to see how that looked. I knew very little about the plot going in, and I think that worked out to the best. One of those that may merit a re-watch with the ending in mind.
I saw in the TV that we seemed to have the same TV upgrade. I went from very solid Panasonic Plasma to LG OLED. It's nice to finally see streaming start to catch up to the TV quality. 

Last night we watched The Crow.   I will say that the idea for The Crow >>>>>>> the movie.   I still had a blast with it, but it's one that doesn't hold up very well.   Even more ridiculous than I remember.  

My favorite parts were the pawn shop owner and his dumb sayings "Oh, #### on me" and "Jesus Christ in a taxi cab".  :lol:    That and Ernie Hudson coming in at the end with a road flare.  

No wonder I don't care for Scorsese films. I've only seen 25 of his favorite 125. And I probably liked about 10.
Of the ones I've seen, I've mostly liked, but I knew when I saw that link that I would open it and probably have seen about 30 tops.  

ETA:  I think I've seen 26 of them.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Last night we watched The Crow.   I will say that the idea for The Crow >>>>>>> the movie.   I still had a blast with it, but it's one that doesn't hold up very well.   Even more ridiculous than I remember.  

My favorite parts were the pawn shop owner and his dumb sayings "Oh, #### on me" and "Jesus Christ in a taxi cab".  :lol:    That and Ernie Hudson coming in at the end with a road flare.  
The soundtrack >>> the movie 

And conversely why I like Marty’s movies so much. I’ve seen most of that list and don’t think there’s much of anything I didn’t like or at least find something interesting in. 

Soundtrack is  :moneybag: though. 

Man, I love this movie.  Has some juvenile elements and some spotty dialogue/acting, but I just love the dark imagery and story.

I was afraid of that.

Speaking of cruelty, though, I've been conducting a little Yorgos Lanthimos film fest the past week, watching The Lobster, The Killing of a Sacred Deer, and Dogtooth.  Holy crap, are these tough watches.  The easiest was The Lobster, which I'd expect has been previously covered in the thread, and at least has comedic elements, albeit black, black, black.  Actually I found comedy in The Killing of a Sacred Deer, too, though I'm not sure if I was supposed to.  Both that and Dogtooth are really rough to watch, though. 

His movies remind me in a way of Lars von Trier's.  So bleak, so cruel, and often with that same purposefully wooden acting style that von Trier seemed to cultivate.   von Trier's films seem to have had more an emotional impact on me, maybe by being less absurdist than Lanthimos's. 

Lanthimos also directed but did not write The Favourite, which I haven't seen yet but appears much more mainstream, probably since he was not the writer.  I do recommend The Lobster and The Killing of a Sacred Deer, but only if you have a mental state that can withstand "extremely dark" right now.  I wish I'd waited for a less overall depressing time to watch.  I'm not sure if I recommend Dogtooth, but if you like the first two, it's worth a shot.  Also, Lanthimos clearly has an obsession with hair that rivals Quarantino's foot fetish.

Prior thoughts on The Lobster.  @CGRdrJoe, did you like it?

KarmaPolice said:
Watching another 90s gem: The Last Boyscout. 

[Joe has just found out that Mike was sleeping with his wife]

Mike Mathews: It just happened, Joe. It...

Joe Hallenbeck: Sure, sure, I know... it just happened. Coulda happened to anybody. It was an accident, right? You tripped, slipped on the floor and accidentally stuck your #### in my wife. "Whoops! I'm so sorry, Mrs. H. I guess this just isn't my week."

:lmao:

Too dark?  You and I are usually of very similar opinions on movies, but I could see why this one would be divisive.
I just thought it was weird but not funny. Not sure I really got what it was trying to say. I didn’t think it really gave a huge payoff from its bizarre set up. 

We were talking 90s movies as we watched The Crow and Tommy Boy last night.   And joked about going through movies year by year.  I started looking up movies from 1990.  Odd year, and an interesting top 10 of the box office.   I wrote down a bunch that I haven't seen - everything from Miller's Crossing to Tremors to Home Alone.  The wife hates picking movies out of the blue, so we've gotten into a little routine of her picking one of two that I throw at her - ie last night was The Crow vs. Sleepy Hollow and Tommy Boy vs Austin Powers.   

Thinking Tremors v Arachnophobia, Home Alone vs Kindergarten Cop, Pretty Woman vs Ghost, or Presumed Innocent vs. Reversal of Fortune tonight.  :oldunsure:

I just thought it was weird but not funny. Not sure I really got what it was trying to say. I didn’t think it really gave a huge payoff from its bizarre set up. 

I found it absolutely hilarious.  Not sure if we've liked the same comedies in the past, so maybe that's where we differ.  I know we enjoy the same movies in other genres.

We were talking 90s movies as we watched The Crow and Tommy Boy last night.   And joked about going through movies year by year.  I started looking up movies from 1990.  Odd year, and an interesting top 10 of the box office.   I wrote down a bunch that I haven't seen - everything from Miller's Crossing to Tremors to Home Alone.  The wife hates picking movies out of the blue, so we've gotten into a little routine of her picking one of two that I throw at her - ie last night was The Crow vs. Sleepy Hollow and Tommy Boy vs Austin Powers.   

Thinking Tremors v Arachnophobia, Home Alone vs Kindergarten Cop, Pretty Woman vs Ghost, or Presumed Innocent vs. Reversal of Fortune tonight.  :oldunsure:
Dude… just watch Miller’s Crossing.

Finally got around to No Country for Old Men. I don’t get what all the acclaim is for. Was very average to me. 

Finally got around to No Country for Old Men. I don’t get what all the acclaim is for. Was very average to me. 
While I really liked it, there’s a couple movies from that year that were clearly better imo. There’s also several better Coen Brothers movies… such as the aforementioned Miller’s Crossing.

While I really liked it, there’s a couple movies from that were clearly better imo. There’s also several better Coen Brothers movies… such as the aforementioned Miller’s Crossing.
Yea I didn’t actively dislike it or anything, I just kept waiting for it to be this great movie and it never got there for me. 

Users who are viewing this thread