What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (5 Viewers)

I would say more of a rock opera than a musical. It’s like 95% music. There’s very little of the movie that’s isn’t part of a song. It’s bat####.
I checked it out and saw the music was done by Sparks. Ten minutes in, I tapped out a bit. Maybe I'll give it another shot. I'm not a huge fan of Sparks's quirky music, and it sort of grated on me. I think the idea is great and it may indeed be a cool movie, but I wasn't impressed with the opening number. 

I checked it out and saw the music was done by Sparks. Ten minutes in, I tapped out a bit. Maybe I'll give it another shot. I'm not a huge fan of Sparks's quirky music, and it sort of grated on me. I think the idea is great and it may indeed be a cool movie, but I wasn't impressed with the opening number. 
It’s definitely not for everyone. My guess is it has a lot of people who turned it off or walked out pretty early on. Probably a ton of 1 star reviews. It’s an experience, that’s for sure. There were times when the music did annoy me a bit but wow was it a crazy trip of a movie. Totally unpredictable and the quality of the movie making is first rate. You just have to totally crank the sound up and let yourself go. It’s not a movie I would recommend to everyone though because it’s so weird.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's either the movies, the reefer, or the combo, but a lot of the movies that have held up in my mind as good have been disappointing on these rewatches.     I couldn't get through either Event Horizon or Fire in the Sky last night.     

At home with 2 more days off and looking at -18degrees on my phone, so more movies in store.  Time to be more serious with my movie selections today.  :lol:  

Watched 12 Angry Men (the Henry Fonda one) last night (it's on Amazon Prime). I found it to be pretty uneven. Part of my problem was spending the first third of the movie distracted by trying to recall which Star Trek and/or Twilight Zone episodes most of the actors had been in.

Apart from that, there were really good segments, and really clunky ones. Sometimes it felt like an episode of a T.V. show, sometimes it felt like a feature film. Sometimes there were some really good camera angles and framing, sometimes it looked like a community college production. Part of that probably is due to the bulk of the film occurring in basically 3 physical sets, and mostly in just one set. The 50's vernacular and sensibilities were somewhat jarring. I'm sure that's somewhat how people talked and thought back then, but it doesn't translate well 65 years later.

The acting was spotty, even by some pretty accomplished actors.

As for the writing, I think there's a kernel of a really good story there, but it wasn't always executed well. Sometimes, writing wise, it played like an afterschool special about doing your civic duty by being a jury member. Sometimes the opinion changes were earned, sometimes they were way too abrupt. Sometimes they got the content and the tone just right - I particularly liked the scene where George Voskovec is grilling Jack Warden about changing his opinion just for the sake of convenience, they nailed that.

I think my expectations for this were too high going in. I don't think it's a must see.

It was based on a teleplay and it was Lumet’s first movie after working in the theater and TV. So it does make sense that it comes off that way. 

Tried to watch The Last Duel last night and didn't make it through. One of the most boring movies I've every seen.  Reviews are good so maybe it's just me, or my state of mind. :shrug:

May, or may not decide to finish it at some point 

Tried to watch The Last Duel last night and didn't make it through. One of the most boring movies I've every seen.  Reviews are good so maybe it's just me, or my state of mind. :shrug:

It's you, the movie rules

How far did you get? It definitely gets better as the movie goes on and you get a feel for the way the story is shifting through each character's POV 

It's you, the movie rules

How far did you get? It definitely gets better as the movie goes on and you get a feel for the way the story is shifting through each character's POV 
I actually watched about 2 hours lol

Just finishing the story from her perspective I believe. My eyes were closing (and it wasn't that late)

I need to hit the brakes on these 90s movies. 

Started on my list of newer movies last night and tried The Paper Tigers on NF.   I would say it was a solid 5/10.   The premise was good, the fighting was fun to watch, but overall I think it was a bit slow and lacking as much humor and action as I thought I was signing up for.   

Saw Dune at the IMAX yesterday. Obviously looked and sounded incredible but also I was able to follow the plot a lot easier the second time/no distractions. 

my friends all loved Kevin Smith. I didn’t get it at all. They dragged me to the Jay and Silent Bob movie. God that was awful. 
I haven't revisited that one in a long time.   In the last few months I've watched Clerks, Dogma, Zack and Miri, and I think I watched about 10mins of the Jay and SB reboot before tapping out.    I thought about watching Chasing Amy again, but in the end I might just pass and go with my memory on that one.  

I think the story of making Clerks and people like him having the ability to rise in the business >>>>> my current opinion of his movies.   

btw, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was on broadcast cable this wk, so i finally saw it. Liked it quite well,  stylish and fun. easily my favorite QT since Kill Bill 2. fixed the sixties -

Omg the f/x on Event Horizon.  :lol:
This movie absolutely terrified my wife…can’t remember if we saw it at the show or on video but we definitely saw it around the time of its original release.  No chance she will watch it again 

Today was a revisit of Eyes Wide Shut.    :popcorn:    This one still fascinates me and pulls me in.  
it’s been years since I saw it but I really liked it.  Never understood to hate it got

Another one I haven’t seen in years that was generally hated but I kinda liked was A.I.  might have to dive into that one again at some point

Another one I haven’t seen in years that was generally hated but I kinda liked was A.I.  might have to dive into that one again at some point
Why? Think about the end with that android and his stupid expression waiting for someone to come get him.

You've just re watched the movie.

That makes me really happy that you liked it 
the major function in why i did is that the work is relaxed, assured. he's not convincing me of anything (which, being a nerd, he never fully does) nor creating a world - he's home. the kid who lived at Cinerama, for whom being a video store clerk was becoming the Mayor of Imagination. lord help me, i kinda like that kid now.

the major function in why i did is that the work is relaxed, assured. he's not convincing me of anything (which, being a nerd, he never fully does) nor creating a world - he's home. the kid who lived at Cinerama, for whom being a video store clerk was becoming the Mayor of Imagination. lord help me, i kinda like that kid now.
so well said

Don't Look Up wasn't as bad as critics or Twitter might have painted it out to be. Leo, Streep, Jonah, Rylance are all really funny. It's worth a watch even if it's depressing and a bit too obvious now. Dr. Strangelove LIGHT 

Lawrence of Arabia - Been wanting to watch it for a while and finally took the plunge tonight. Its really good but soooo long. Its basically two separate movies. Also - while my setup at home is good, it would be better to see it on the big screen for sure. The visuals would be fantastic.

But overall it was a terrific character study to see how war and the events of the time took a toll on everyone involved. 

Lawrence of Arabia
My all-time favorite movie.  So many classic lines, great performances, incredible scenery, magnificent scoring, unparalleled individual scenes, the editing...

The historical elements, the cultural insights, costumes.  Add I LOVE great voices and this film is chalk-full of great pipes, Jack Hawkins, Claude Raines, and José Ferrer.  I mean come on, I mean just COME ON.  

To think it was the film debut of Peter O'Toole and I haven't even mentioned Alec Guinness or one of my favorite under rated actors in Arthur Kennedy.  

I could open up a thread and rave all-day about Lawrence of Arabia.  Spielberg said before he began any movie project that he would watch LOA.  This movie cannot and would not be made today.  It is the definition of an epic film.

Don't Look Up wasn't as bad as critics or Twitter might have painted it out to be. Leo, Streep, Jonah, Rylance are all really funny. It's worth a watch even if it's depressing and a bit too obvious now. Dr. Strangelove LIGHT 
i thought it was good.

It’s definitely not for everyone. My guess is it has a lot of people who turned it off or walked out pretty early on. Probably a ton of 1 star reviews. It’s an experience, that’s for sure. There were times when the music did annoy me a bit but wow was it a crazy trip of a movie. Totally unpredictable and the quality of the movie making is first rate. You just have to totally crank the sound up and let yourself go. It’s not a movie I would recommend to everyone though because it’s so weird.
We watched this last night.  Didn’t really care for it.  My wife called it “an assault on her ears”

Didn't find it boring, but Ben was just so miscast that I can't allow myself to take it seriously.

I watched a couple more 2021 flicks yesterday:  The Electric Life of Louis Wain (Prime) and New Order (Hulu).   Both were pretty good, but liked Wain a little better, mostly because of Cumberbatch.   New Order is a Spanish language film about a riot/takeover in Mexico - more of a dystopian feel, but I had a bit of trouble understanding the whos and whys.   

My all-time favorite movie.  So many classic lines, great performances, incredible scenery, magnificent scoring, unparalleled individual scenes, the editing...

The historical elements, the cultural insights, costumes.  Add I LOVE great voices and this film is chalk-full of great pipes, Jack Hawkins, Claude Raines, and José Ferrer.  I mean come on, I mean just COME ON.  

To think it was the film debut of Peter O'Toole and I haven't even mentioned Alec Guinness or one of my favorite under rated actors in Arthur Kennedy.  

I could open up a thread and rave all-day about Lawrence of Arabia.  Spielberg said before he began any movie project that he would watch LOA.  This movie cannot and would not be made today.  It is the definition of an epic film.
Lawrence Of Arabia might be my favorite movie of all time as well. :hifive:

Users who are viewing this thread