What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (11 Viewers)

Bad News Bears

I think I may have watched this back in the 80's on a  VCR and at that time thinking the movie and in particular Walter Matthau was very funny.  Watched it again over the weekend and had a very hard time getting through it to the end.  Very little funny about this movie.  I'm not politically correct, but wow, I don't think this movie as it was made in 1976 would be made today.

Band of Brothers

I'm making my way through this series for the third time.  It's great!  Really well done production.  Hard to believe it's already been around for more than 15 years.  The only negative is that it consistently has that "unknown Star Trek character in a blue shirt" thing going on.  Each episode that starts off with a new character who comes out of nowhere typically doesn't survive that mission.
Red shirt  :nerd:

Anyone see King Charles III - the Masterpiece Theater film of the blank verse play projecting Charles' upcoming reign - this wk? Flawed but very compelling and Mrs Tom Hardy playing Kate Middleton was quite interesting (esp for me as i found her the image of my HS sweetheart). wikkid say check it.

Anyone see King Charles III - the Masterpiece Theater film of the blank verse play projecting Charles' upcoming reign - this wk? Flawed but very compelling and Mrs Tom Hardy playing Kate Middleton was quite interesting (esp for me as i found her the image of my HS sweetheart). wikkid say check it.
Sounds good!

Sully

I enjoyed it though if they didn't show the crash 15 times the movie would have been really really boring.  I hope the guy is as cool as Tom Hanks made him out to be. 

The Last WitchHunter

Vin Diesel's epic tale through time of the lonely emptiness that befalls an immortal protector of mankind from evil sorcery.  Yup.  I watched the whole thing.  I'm that guy.

The 80s movie we grownups were loving when you hairless punks were going gaga over worthless fluff like BttF & KK, The Year of Living Dangerously, is on Turner Classic Movies tonite @ 10

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw Predestination, the Ethan Hawk time travel flick.  It was good.  Although. . . . I'm not quite sure I understand what the heck was going on. And I was paying really close attention. 

Doctor Strange:

Yeah, it took a lot of energy to finish this one.  I think this one is at the bottom of the Marvel pile for me right along with Thor 2.  I guess for me there are just so many twisty-turny video gamey fights I can watch and this one had about 5 more than my limit.  I really didn't like Thor either, but at least there was a character or two that I liked and that was lacking here.   Honestly, I don't have much positive to say about this one, so I will just stop. 

Doctor Strange:

Yeah, it took a lot of energy to finish this one.  I think this one is at the bottom of the Marvel pile for me right along with Thor 2.  I guess for me there are just so many twisty-turny video gamey fights I can watch and this one had about 5 more than my limit.  I really didn't like Thor either, but at least there was a character or two that I liked and that was lacking here.   Honestly, I don't have much positive to say about this one, so I will just stop. 
I think the visuals were about as good as any I've ever seen in a movie.

That's about all I can say that's positive.

Saw Predestination, the Ethan Hawk time travel flick.  It was good.  Although. . . . I'm not quite sure I understand what the heck was going on. And I was paying really close attention. 
Really? For a time travel movie I found this one to be fairly easy to follow. I'm usually :whoosh:   when the film tries to out-think itself (and me).

Everybody wants some is flying way under the public's radar imho.
It raced through the theaters, and I've never seen it available at our local Redbox.
I don't remember if I commented on this one.

D&C is one of my favorite movies and I love Linklater's work. EWS felt so slight and pointless- following a bunch of bros around to parties without any development or arc to them. felt like some dude telling a story about his glory days but without having a point or frame of reference for the audience..ultimately I just didn't give a #### about any of them.

I think the visuals were about as good as any I've ever seen in a movie.

That's about all I can say that's positive.
I have heard people say that and just listened to the /Film guys gush over the same thing.  I don't get it at all.  I guess it's just not what I want my movies to look like.  So many of the fight scenes looked like a bad video game to me as they supposedly ran on the walls and up buildings.  I realize I am old and grumpy, but that really bores me in movies as there is no 'magic' there for me as I try to imagine how they filmed it.  

that's a career that feels strangely unsatisfying. he's had moments as an approaching middle-aged actor that i enjoy but then he also does more than his share of dreck. similar to john cusack in that sense for me. Cusack is someone who needs to find an FX or HBO series to restore his career. 

I have heard people say that and just listened to the /Film guys gush over the same thing.  I don't get it at all.  I guess it's just not what I want my movies to look like.  So many of the fight scenes looked like a bad video game to me as they supposedly ran on the walls and up buildings.  I realize I am old and grumpy, but that really bores me in movies as there is no 'magic' there for me as I try to imagine how they filmed it.  
I understand. 

A movie like Logan represents how good a comic book movie can be. Strange represents how bad they can be.

I liked this movie. Didn't think it was too confusing at all. I called it "Primer-lite". Don't ever see Primer if you got lost in Predestination.
Loved Primer.  It's not that I got lost in Predestination, it's that I didn't see the point of the big reveal.  I mean, why go through all that work to do that thing that he was doing?  I just didn't get it. 

La La Land:

One of my least favorite movie genres, but I really really liked this one.  I think the first 1/2 and the last 5mins of the movie were great, but it did drag a bit towards the end as the pep and the music seemed to decrease.  The ending caught me off guard and really packed a punch.  That could have been it's own perfect 5min or so short movie.  Just great.  Not the best movie I have seen for last year (haven't seen a ton actually), but it put a huge smile on my face for most of the movie and I bet even after I watch more movies it would be in my top 10 or so for the year.  I liked Whiplash a bit more, but I will seek out whatever this director does next.  7.5/10

Jason Bourne -  this one felt a little off for me.  Not sure why. Not enough action too much "over the top"   Just can't put my finger on it.

I enjoyed it but not as much as the others

Manchester By the Sea:

I am still digesting this one, so I might ramble a bit.  First and foremost, what a performance by Affleck.  Had to carry the movie and it was great.  IMO it is hard to pull off that toned down of a character that has basically just emotionally shut it down in every aspect of life.  I felt all the emotion, guilt, and pain that he was carrying.  The scene with him and the officers was heartbreaking.  I also loved the directing and the fact that there were a lot of things and emotions that were implied but he didn't feel the need to hold our hands and show us everything - looks a character gives, the way people unpack something, etc..  a lesser director would have felt the need to show more or linger on it.  Movies like that pack more of a punch for me because it requires the viewer to do some emotional work and meet the characters part of the way.  Williams is fantastic as always, but I was surprised that she was is this in very few scenes.  All that said, there was something holding me back from absolutely loving this one.  I know the music was bugging me a little.  Maybe it was the nephew, as I really didn't like him or his actions much.  Still thought it was great, but something was just a little off.  8/10

Manchester By the Sea:

I am still digesting this one, so I might ramble a bit.  First and foremost, what a performance by Affleck.  Had to carry the movie and it was great.  IMO it is hard to pull off that toned down of a character that has basically just emotionally shut it down in every aspect of life.  I felt all the emotion, guilt, and pain that he was carrying.  The scene with him and the officers was heartbreaking.  I also loved the directing and the fact that there were a lot of things and emotions that were implied but he didn't feel the need to hold our hands and show us everything - looks a character gives, the way people unpack something, etc..  a lesser director would have felt the need to show more or linger on it.  Movies like that pack more of a punch for me because it requires the viewer to do some emotional work and meet the characters part of the way.  Williams is fantastic as always, but I was surprised that she was is this in very few scenes.  All that said, there was something holding me back from absolutely loving this one.  I know the music was bugging me a little.  Maybe it was the nephew, as I really didn't like him or his actions much.  Still thought it was great, but something was just a little off.  8/10
Oooooof.  I have plenty of things in my life that are depressing.  Don't need a movie to add more.

Manchester By the Sea:

What is the story generally about without giving any spoilers?

I guess you didn't see him on Real Time. 
Thanks for the tip.  Watching it on YouTube right now, and he came to a battle of wits unarmed.  The other people on the panel are all giving educational and rational points, then Affleck chimes in like a kid tugging on his parents pants leg while they're on the phone.

ETA: Bill Maher and I don't agree on many things, but he was outstanding in this debate.  The clip in question

Side note: the rabbit hole of suggested videos on the right of the video link above included "Kenny Powers best racist remarks")

Manchester By the Sea:

There are movies that receive Oscar nominations and critical praise like Crash, and I'm vexed as to why. Crash was awful.

Manchester is not one of those movies. Heartbreaking, beautiful, and surprisingly funny at times.

Thanks for the tip. atching it on YouTube right now,.  and he came to a battlef wits unarmed.  The other peopl. e on the panel are all giving educational and rational points, then Affleck chimes in like a kid tugging on his parents pants leg while they're on the phone.

ETA: Bill Maher and I don't agree on many things, but he was outstanding in this debate.  The clip in question

Side note: the rabbit hole of suggested videos on the right of the video link above included "Kenny Powers best racist remarks")
Yeah,  I peesonally think Sam Harris is one of the most well-spoken, intelligent people out there to listen to    Affleck just goes off on him and acts like a doosh  

KarmaPolice said:
Yeah,  I peesonally think Sam Harris is one of the most well-spoken, intelligent people out there to listen to    Affleck just goes off on him and acts like a doosh  
I am a proud pinko commie Liberal, but here's where some Liberals fail: a person can hold more than one thought in their head. Yes, we shouldn't discriminate against Muslims. Tolerance is a wonderful principal, but I'm intolerant of murder and ignorance. You can defend the rights of Muslims and still abhor radical, violent zealots.

The Hateful Eight

Saw this for a second time because I thought Mrs. Dogg would like it. Much like Django Unchained, I liked about 3/4 of this movie. The dialogue is top notch, as usual. But if I wanted to watch extreme gore I'd pop in The Evil Dead. You know I'm a Tarantino fanboy, but the violence is too much and it sullies the excellent acting and writing. 

The Hateful Eight

Saw this for a second time because I thought Mrs. Dogg would like it. Much like Django Unchained, I liked about 3/4 of this movie. The dialogue is top notch, as usual. But if I wanted to watch extreme gore I'd pop in The Evil Dead. You know I'm a Tarantino fanboy, but the violence is too much and it sullies the excellent acting and writing. 
I keep getting sucked in because of the flashes of brilliance I saw in IB.  Just feels like he can't control himself and his impulses to go full on Grindhouse.  I kind of want to give this one another try, but I am not sure I liked it even 1/2 way.  I am sure one of these days I will give it a rewatch. 

I keep getting sucked in because of the flashes of brilliance I saw in IB.  Just feels like he can't control himself and his impulses to go full on Grindhouse.  I kind of want to give this one another try, but I am not sure I liked it even 1/2 way.  I am sure one of these days I will give it a rewatch. 
Hateful Eight has some very funny dialogue, so there's that.

Extreme violence used to be an interesting, shocking device. But in 2017, I'm just bored by it.

The Hateful Eight

The more movies Tarantino makes, the more I realize he's really just trying to get the N word in as many times as he possibly can. I think it's like a game to him. Didn't really care for the movie, it was like a bad play with lots of profanity. 

The more movies Tarantino makes, the more I realize he's really just trying to get the N word in as many times as he possibly can. I think it's like a game to him. Didn't really care for the movie, it was like a bad play with lots of profanity. 
Don't forget the projectile vomiting. 

Deepwater Horizon - I don't know how much was true and how much was hollywood but I really enjoy this movie.  It was too over the top with the action/disaster.

8/10

:shock:

Did the lifeboats really leave without Mike Williams and the remaining crew members?

Yes. Both lifeboats that were designated to be used left without Mike Williams, the rig's captain Jimmy Harrell, and several other crew members. With about eight of them left on the bridge, they were about 20 yards from the lifeboat deck, which was down a flight of stairs. "When we get to the very last step, about eight of us, the other lifeboat starts descending," said Williams. "They had left without the captain and without knowing they had everyone who had survived all this on board." After loading a life raft and getting it into the water, it also left without them. Young technician Andrea Fleytas (portrayed by Gina Rodriguez) and another young man were stranded with Williams. -60 Minutes

Did Mike Williams really jump from an incredible height to escape the burning rig?

Yes, the chief electronics technician on the Deepwater Horizon, Mike Williams (Mark Wahlberg in the movie), jumped 10 stories into the Gulf of Mexico in order to escape the flames that had engulfed the rig. "I remember closin' my eyes and sayin' a prayer, asking God to tell my wife and little girl that daddy did everything he could, and if I survive this, it's for a reason. I made those three steps, and I pushed off the end of the rig. And I fell for what seemed like forever," he told 60 Minutes correspondent Scott Pelley.

Once in the water, Williams described his scramble to get away from the burning oil around him. "I feel this God-awful burning all over me, and I'm thinkin' 'Am I on fire?' Ya know, I just don't know. I could tell I was floatin' in oil, so I swam. And I kicked and I swam, and I kicked and I swam as hard as I could until I remember not feeling anymore pain. And I didn't hear anything. And I thought, 'Well, I musta burned up, because I don't feel anything. I don't hear anything. I don't smell anything. I must be dead." Williams had been badly injured during the explosions, and like in the movie, was eventually hoisted into a boat, which also picked up Gina Rodriguez and then toed a life raft to safety that was about to drift under the rig.

Going to see Alien Covenant tonight.

Over the weekend I am watching The Hateful Eight and 13 Hours The Secret Soliders of Bengazi

Users who are viewing this thread