What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (12 Viewers)

posted this in the netflix thread- caveat emptor

It's on Amazon, but we inexplicably watched a small movie called Sorceress last night, I think because the blurb likened it to Let the Right one in. So we watched. And watched. And literally nothing happened, nor did any part of it make any sense from a narrative, visual, dialog or any other standpoint.

Imagine watching an OK, not great looking woman looking at herself in mirror and fixing her hair for 60 minutes. And then occasionally talking to another woman, but imagine the dialog was written by somebody who had never actual had a conversation before, but understood they needed to include some words. It was so bad and pointless that at a certain point it felt like a matter of necessity to see if anything at all was going to happen or make sense. No. At the end, there's a music performance by the protagonist that is sooooooooo painfully bad (and nonsensical) that we finally realized that the movie was essential the equivalent of posting your kids ####ty scribbles on your firdge or FB page as "art". Made in Finland, because the Finnish gov gives money for the arts. 
it's called sorceress... and I think she talks about magic, but again- nothing ever happens, magical or otherwise.

I'm honestly astonished Amazon picked this up. It's like a bad- horrifically bad- student short. Except it's long. And it's not "fun/campy" bad... there is no fun here. Nothing happens. And again, the dialogue is written as if the writer has never actually had conversation with a real human being before... words are spoken, but without intent, meaning direction, or any sense. Definitely student film, but to call it sophomoric does an injustice to any wisdom fools out there might have. There is none here. Like a vanity piece by a non interesting and entirely untalented asberger kid. I've seen some terrible movies (dungeons and dragons, the sixth man)... but this is without a doubt the worst movie I've ever seen. 

Eta... And made worse because of the inexplicable comparison to the fantastic Let the Right One In. It's as if a hardware store decided to serve food and put a bunch of nails on a plate, spray painted then yellow and called it a curry. 

Eta2- the spray painted nails are waaaaaaay more interesting than this film.

so... :popcorn: .... anybody seen it yet?

I saw Sausage Party. yeah. so that's done.
I've wondered if this film was a victim of hype with me.  I saw it near the end of it's theatrical run, after hearing LOTS of people tell me how funny it was, how they almost peed their pants, etc.  Found some parts of it funny, might have even chuckled a little...but it nowhere near lived up to that hype (doubt any movie could).  Have no intention or desire to re-visit it.

Compare that to 21 Jump Street with Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum.  A couple of my hillbilly cousins raved about it, which induced a smirk and eyeroll from me.  But I gotta say...it made me laugh way more than it should have, and still makes me laugh when I catch bits of it on TBS.

I've wondered if this film was a victim of hype with me.  I saw it near the end of it's theatrical run, after hearing LOTS of people tell me how funny it was, how they almost peed their pants, etc.  Found some parts of it funny, might have even chuckled a little...but it nowhere near lived up to that hype (doubt any movie could).  Have no intention or desire to re-visit it.

Compare that to 21 Jump Street with Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum.  A couple of my hillbilly cousins raved about it, which induced a smirk and eyeroll from me.  But I gotta say...it made me laugh way more than it should have, and still makes me laugh when I catch bits of it on TBS.
I always liked the concept. just wasn't funny. a lot of swearing though- and I'm not offended by such things... but felt like the swearing was somehow supposed to be funny on its own. it wasn't.

The Prowler (1951 noir). Fantastic film. It reminded me of reading a James Cain novel. I'm not surprised a great writer like Trumbo was behind this.

The Prowler (1951 noir). Fantastic film. It reminded me of reading a James Cain novel. I'm not surprised a great writer like Trumbo was behind this.

I'm watching Resident Evil, the one that came out this year in January. I swear I cannot remember going to the theater to watch this movie but it is so familiar to me that there is no way I have not seen it yet. No idea where I would have seen it either. Its like Deja Vu but I cannot remember when I saw it.

The Nice Guys with Crowe and Gosling. I thought it was pretty ####### tedious for an action-comedy mash-up. Shane Black should just quit Hollywood. 

The Lobster with Colin Farrell. Interesting but mostly Meh. 

Went to see GotG II last night - finally found some time.  Had super high expectations (unlike the first installment for which I really didn't expect to even like it, yet I loved it). I was underwhelmed :( Maybe I set the expectations too high, or maybe after a long week of work I wasn't in the proper mindset but it was no where near what I was hoping for.  Probably didn't help that there were only 20 other people in the theatre besides my sons and I.  Wasn't terrible and i definitely had some laughs but there were a few slow spots that brought it down IMO. Loved DRAX.

I'd still give it a 7 as I want to watch it again to see what I missed.

Finally got around to watching Ex Machina last night.  Overall I found it interesting, but somewhat predictable (maybe I've seen too many movies).  I guess I should have seen it before watching a single Black Mirror episode.  3.5/5.  Alicia Vikander   :wub:

Is there a thread for Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales?
Saw this in IMAX 3D and really enjoyed it. The visual effects were very good and the story was good enough for me. My eyes got a little sweaty at the ending.
Really fun summer popcorn flick.

Osaurus said:
Finally got around to watching Ex Machina last night.  Overall I found it interesting, but somewhat predictable (maybe I've seen too many movies).  I guess I should have seen it before watching a single Black Mirror episode.  3.5/5.  Alicia Vikander   :wub:
I loved Ex Machina.

John Wick 2. Totally excellent shoot 'em up. Neo choreograph-blasts his way through probably a hundred bad guys in two hours. Dark and fun as hell. 8.5 / 10

Consider this rating a "Professional Courtesy"

Agree, really well done, 

Haven't seen it, but it's on my list. I know it had hype in the beginning of it's run. Did stay consistently good or am I going to get sucked into a bunch of mediocre seasons after 1 great one?
I'd say there's good (maybe okay) and very good in each season. I referenced it in regard to Ex Machina only because it felt like something from this series and for me it was predicable as a result.  It was ultimately disappointing but still good on its own (in a vacuum).  

John Wick 2. Totally excellent shoot 'em up. Neo choreograph-blasts his way through probably a hundred bad guys in two hours. Dark and fun as hell. 8.5 / 10

Consider this rating a "Professional Courtesy"
Big fan of this series. If you don't like John Wick then you went to the wrong genre movie. 

Popstar:

This one really hit the spot after a couple beers last night.  Not all the the jokes hit, and there were some SNL-like moments when a dud scene seemed to drag on, but when it was funny I was rolling.   A lot of the songs were great, and I had tears in my eyes thanks to some full frontal male nudity.  Well worth the watch.  7/10

Moonlight:

Some great acting, and it was really well shot, but there was something keeping me at arms length on this one.  Maybe it was just the pacing of the movie, but I was just surprised that during a movie like this I felt so little while watching it.  Just about every other drama that I have seen from the year got a tear from me at some point or at least had me invested in the story, but not here.  I can't quite put my finger on it, but it kept it from greatness for me.  6/10

Big fan of this series. If you don't like John Wick then you went to the wrong genre movie. 
Only saw JW1 about a week ago and only because I'd heard good things about this one and didn't want to see them out of order. As soon as I saw it, I was ready for round 2. Seems like there'll be a JW3, but I have to wonder if maybe two was enough.

Moonlight:

Some great acting, and it was really well shot, but there was something keeping me at arms length on this one.  Maybe it was just the pacing of the movie, but I was just surprised that during a movie like this I felt so little while watching it.  Just about every other drama that I have seen from the year got a tear from me at some point or at least had me invested in the story, but not here.  I can't quite put my finger on it, but it kept it from greatness for me.  6/10
It's a very fine film. I liked it quite a bit, too, but it wasn't especially satisfying. part of it is the storytelling - chopped up into 3 distinct parts - kept me from feeling too connected to the lead character(s). it was an adaptation of a short story, I believe, and that is evident in its pacing. i liked the story being told in the film but i wanted more.

A couple of movies on a plane:

Sicario - Really liked it. Had it on my Netflix queue forever but never got around to watching it. Great realistic action scenes, good cast and interesting twist (why she was brought aboard) 3.5/5

Split - Great performance by the lead actor. Sort of weak, unorganized story at times but still entertaining. One of M. Knights better recent efforts. Worth a watch. 3/5

He is much better in Nocturnal Animals.  The movie is much better too.  Does Michael Shannon do anything bad?
No.

I have Nocturnal Animals on the shelf to be watched this week.  High praise here and it seems like a movie not a ton of people liked, but I am looking forward to it.  Nightcrawler was one of my favorite movies the year it came out, I think it's great. 

It's a very fine film. I liked it quite a bit, too, but it wasn't especially satisfying. part of it is the storytelling - chopped up into 3 distinct parts - kept me from feeling too connected to the lead character(s). it was an adaptation of a short story, I believe, and that is evident in its pacing. i liked the story being told in the film but i wanted more.
That makes sense. 

I think a bit of it for me was how emotionless the main character was throughout the movie.  I completely get that he is somebody who shut down because of all the struggles he was dealing with, but that was also done in a much better and interesting way in a character like Affleck's in Manchester by the Sea.  Maybe it was just having the unfair comparison of having watched that very recently.  To me it felt like the final scene in Moonlight was to give a satisfying conclusion to something that we didn't seem to see him struggle with or have that much importance on throughout the movie.  Just felt flat to me. 

Speaking of Shannon and one of his main collaborators that doesn't seem to do much wrong, Jeff Nichols, I also have Loving on the shelf for this week too.  Looks like Shannon is in that one too (I think he has been in all of Nichols' films?)

Popstar:

This one really hit the spot after a couple beers last night.  Not all the the jokes hit, and there were some SNL-like moments when a dud scene seemed to drag on, but when it was funny I was rolling.   A lot of the songs were great, and I had tears in my eyes thanks to some full frontal male nudity.  Well worth the watch.  7/10
LOVED this movie.

wife went to sleep sick super early last night, so I had some time to pick a movie I figured she'd never want to watch... takes time to sort through Amazon and Netflix. settled on a recent tom tykwer movie with tom hanks I'd never heard of- Hologram for a King. 

I'm a fan of tykwer from run lola run and especially princess and the warrior. also like hanks. but this felt pretty pointless... stranger in a strange land writ ad nauseum. a little light humor, a little light romance. but overall just light. 

followed that up with Analyze This, which I still find funny and clever with Deniro, Crystal and Kudrow all very funny... gumbah sidekick #1 was a highlight, as was Crystal's son. can't remember if it predated the sopranos... I think it did.

Arrival B - I enjoyed the linguistics portion the most. How they broke through and began to understand each other.

Forrest Whitaker and Jeremy Renner could have been anybody. This was Amy Adams movie and I thought she did great.

The ending bugged me.

The flash forward was confusing and I didn't like the fact that Renner and Adams got together. Just didn't set well with me.

Speaking of Shannon and one of his main collaborators that doesn't seem to do much wrong, Jeff Nichols, I also have Loving on the shelf for this week too.  Looks like Shannon is in that one too (I think he has been in all of Nichols' films?)
He was a member of Steppenwolf Theater Company here in Chicago. Gary Sinise, Joan Allen, John Malkovich, Jim True-Frost, and a few others are the most recognizable. Shannon did a production in 2006 of  "The Pillowman" by Martin McDonagh (In Bruges, Calvary, 7 Psychopaths). He was really good on the stage like that. Weird to see him in big films or yucking it up with Fallon.

saintfool said:
He was a member of Steppenwolf Theater Company here in Chicago. Gary Sinise, Joan Allen, John Malkovich, Jim True-Frost, and a few others are the most recognizable. Shannon did a production in 2006 of  "The Pillowman" by Martin McDonagh (In Bruges, Calvary, 7 Psychopaths). He was really good on the stage like that. Weird to see him in big films or yucking it up with Fallon.
I saw Pillowman on Broadway with Jeff Goldblum as the cop. Hmmm, just looked it up and the part that Shannon played was played by Michael Stuhlbarg, who played Arnold Rothstein in Boardwalk and (I didn't even realize it was him) is in this season of Fargo as Sy.

I can't say I remember the play all that well as it was sort of mediocre.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread