What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (8 Viewers)

Also, I’m not seeing my named mentioned in any of the pre-race writes about the elite men’s field.  Super discouraging, but highly motivating.  
Be sure to give Bryon Powell the finger when you see him as you pull in to Robinson in the top 20.  And I'll write you in for the prediction contest ;)

Good talking with you just now, you got this!  Ain't nothing left to do now but relax and.....breathe.  

I always understood the ammonia smell to be protein (ie muscle) breakdown.  Pretty common in the later stages of an ultra, obviously.  It's super inefficient to rely on it as a fuel via gluconeogenesis, much less efficient than burning fat, so I'd question how much that is happening in any sort of normal run.  
From what I've read today it looks like yes it's burning amino acids, which basically means protein, but no it's not necessarily muscle because it also includes dietary protein.  

I planned to do a short run today and try a long run tomorrow to test the ammonia thing.  I haven't gotten it in some time after doing my 70 minute runs so let's see if it really kicks in around 80 to 90.  

Hopped on the treadmill for a short run and my kid joined me so I put on a new Disney movie.   Then my wife came down and took him for a ride, and I decided to test the theory tonight.  My last meal was about 6 hours before I ran, and I did 90 minutes.  When I was done, I didn't smell a thing.  

Some nice runs in the last 24- grue and juxt throwing it down, and @gianmarco with the kick ### run of the day- absolutely flying the last couple miles of 16.
Thanks.

My training has clearly been lacking. I haven't done enough pace work and definitely haven't done enough distance. 

Wife and I are up here visiting @gruecdand had a small window here with just perfect running weather given the season and needed to take advantage of it. So we all headed out for a run yesterday. I was debating doing a GMP run or a long run and opted for the long run. Once I got 8 miles in and was feeling pretty good, I figured I might as well seize the moment and start doing some GMP miles. I was hoping to try and get 2-3 and slow back down as needed. Well, it was just one of those days where everything felt good so I just kept it up and even kept speeding up. While my HR was showing 179-180 those last few miles, it was definitely not accurate. I felt great and really didn't feel like I was working hard at all. It was only until the last half mile and that was because I was really pushing the pace for me.

That said, I've never felt that comfortable after a long run. I didn't feel like I ran 16. In the past, after runs of 12+ miles, I'm pretty spent the rest of the day. None of that yesterday. Needless to say, I was pleased with how it went, especially combining my pace workout with the distance. I'll work on getting one more long run in a couple weeks leading up to the race in a month.  Crazy to look back at the overall run, though, and see I basically ran 16 at GMP. 

Grue and my wife nailed their workouts too. The weather change was welcomed by all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish i had video of my bike trip back from our storage unit carrying our beach stuff. I had three beach chairs on my back, a boogie board under my arm (acting like a sail pushing me all over the place), cooler on the bike basket with beach umbrella and chair in top of that, like a jousting pole.

@SayWhat?.... Can't wait to follow along this weekend. Anyone here going to be getting updates to post as it goes along?
If I remember we could follow along on their website.

@SFBayDuck was kind enough to give us an expected pace chart for each waystation based on his goal. 

So @SayWhat? - if you can provide that for us all I'll make a fancy graphic like I did last time. I'm sure you have some extra time for that.  :lol:

@SayWhat?.... Can't wait to follow along this weekend. Anyone here going to be getting updates to post as it goes along?
I'll be at the Olympic Trials on Saturday afternoon, but will be following along and will post updates and context.  It's supposed to be 100 degrees here in Eugene that day so it'll feel just like I'm in the Canyons with @SayWhat?.  Except of course I'll be drinking beer in the Hayward Field stands instead of marching up the Devil's Thumb climb.  

They're live streaming the event on YouTube, along with the normal live tracking.  I'll pull together the links and post those here by Friday for anyone else who wants to follow along as our boy makes the epic trek from Olympic Valley to Auburn.

I'll be at the Olympic Trials on Saturday afternoon, but will be following along and will post updates and context.  It's supposed to be 100 degrees here in Eugene that day so it'll feel just like I'm in the Canyons with @SayWhat?.  Except of course I'll be drinking beer in the Hayward Field stands instead of marching up the Devil's Thumb climb.  

They're live streaming the event on YouTube, along with the normal live tracking.  I'll pull together the links and post those here by Friday for anyone else who wants to follow along as our boy makes the epic trek from Olympic Valley to Auburn.
Paging @BassNBrew ...our race tracker/time predictor extraordinaire.

Wish i had video of my bike trip back from our storage unit carrying our beach stuff. I had three beach chairs on my back, a boogie board under my arm (acting like a sail pushing me all over the place), cooler on the bike basket with beach umbrella and chair in top of that, like a jousting pole.
Hope you loobed up prior to that effort. 

Also... I quit my job. 

While this will add some stress over finances if i cant find replacement work, it will hopefully remove the unhappiness and stress I took home with me every night dealing with an office environment that really didnt jibe with me personally or professionally. 

Also, also...heading down to MD (Ocean Pines near Ocean City) next week for a month.

Maybe a 10k or something while I'm down there...who's near there?
I lost my job, which I'd grown to hate a few months ago and I was definitely much less stressed while looking for a new job. Still obviously that worry of not knowing but with patience I ended up getting pretty much an ideal position for myself (getting into the craft beer world) starting in July. Obviously very lucky I could take my time and be selective with some severance and a wife with a good job. I'm sure it will work out for the best. 

Any Samsung watch users here? I know it's not the best for running, my wife has a Garmin with way better functionality, but it's what I have and it wasn't cheap... I'm looking for a decent app for distance intervals as I try to ramp back up into running after mostly walking the past few months because of some foot issues. 

I can use the Samsung Health App for tracking and it syncs with Strava, Google Fit etc... which is nice but it doesn't have an interval function. There's one I used today called Run4Gear that does the intervals perfectly but doesn't really sync well with anything. I guess I could use it on my watch and Strava or a different app on my phone but that seems redundant. 

I lost my job, which I'd grown to hate a few months ago and I was definitely much less stressed while looking for a new job. Still obviously that worry of not knowing but with patience I ended up getting pretty much an ideal position for myself (getting into the craft beer world) starting in July. Obviously very lucky I could take my time and be selective with some severance and a wife with a good job. I'm sure it will work out for the best. 
Sorry no Samsung knowledge but congrats on the new job and hope it works well for you!

Despite the temp and humidity being roughly the same as Huntsville, New Orleans just feels worse to run in. I'm not sure why, could be that thing #1 and I walked about 13 miles yesterday. 

It's a decent enough place but I sure wouldn't want to live here. Probably won't come back for a while. (Not a bad thing just other places I want to visit)

I l with patience I ended up getting pretty much an ideal position for myself (getting into the craft beer world) starting in July. Obviously very lucky I could take my time and be selective with some severance and a wife with a good job. I'm sure it will work out for the best. 
Congrats! 

If you need some guinea pigs, I'm sure you'll have a few volunteers ;) :banned:

Followed my 90 min treadmill MAF run with a 72 minute treadmill MAF run.  That's a record for time for me for back to back days.  By the very end of yesterday I had to dip under 5mph just to keep my heart rate down so I'm not sure it counts as running but my overall average pace was faster for the 72 than the 90 so it looks like I emptied the tanks.  Will probably go easy today, maybe do some rowing and then hopefully get back outside this weekend. 

Followed my 90 min treadmill MAF run with a 72 minute treadmill MAF run.  That's a record for time for me for back to back days.  By the very end of yesterday I had to dip under 5mph just to keep my heart rate down so I'm not sure it counts as running but my overall average pace was faster for the 72 than the 90 so it looks like I emptied the tanks.  Will probably go easy today, maybe do some rowing and then hopefully get back outside this weekend. 
Let the fat burning commence! 

If I remember we could follow along on their website.

@SFBayDuck was kind enough to give us an expected pace chart for each waystation based on his goal. 

So @SayWhat? - if you can provide that for us all I'll make a fancy graphic like I did last time. I'm sure you have some extra time for that.  :lol:

And @SayWhat? - what's your bib number? 

Yo!  Just checked out the vendor expo and watched a couple interviews with a few of the elites, including Jim Walmsley.  Told him I was going to be in his hip pocket all day.  

Seriously though, just took the tram with the family up near the top of the escarpment.  That’s a long ### climb to start a 100 mile race.  Just silly.   :lmao:

Ill try to post some thoughts later today or tomorrow, including possible pacing targets.  High of 97 forecasted, so it should be optimally cool conditions.   :thumbup:

Ok... you get a (probably far too long) race report! Tonight was event 1 in the Run (317) summer 5k series. I think it was @BassNBrew that saw one of these running through Fountain Square while having dinner with his kid a couple years ago. Indianapolis is area code 317 so their shtick is to run slightly more than a 5k, i.e. 3.17 mile races. There's 5 of them in the series and I signed up for all 5 earlier this week. All the races are on Thursday evenings about once a month from now to October - last one is on my birthday. 

Anyway, we all know how little I've run lately but I figured I'd go out and try to run it mostly hard and see how I could do. I set a goal of 24 minutes, but had no idea how realistic that might be. That said, the runs the last couple nights had me feeling pretty good about it. So why not? 

Weather was scheduled to be ~85 at 7 pm but otherwise nice. Strava captured the weather at the start as 83 with 53% humidity and light rain. What it didn't capture was by the end it was a very steady rain but that's ok, actually felt pretty good, I was just soaked to the bone!

I put down an aggressive goal time of 22 minutes to make sure I could run in "Wave A" - for social distancing purposes, they broke this up in waves and had little dots on the ground to help space folks out and all. By the end, I'm hoping to do better than that time and then some. Anyway, time to start rolls around, I'm trying to stay toward the back of wave A but of course, no one really wants up near the front. I end up about mid pack of the group, the national anthem plays, I have my music started and the watch ready to go... They count us down and we are off!

Mile 1 - 7:38, HR 146

If you look at the first 1/4 mile +, you will see my pace has a nice sine wave going on - I got all excited, went out fast, tried to slow down, sped back up, slowed down again... However, by about the 1/2 mile mark, I am kind of settling in to a good pace. My watch buzzed the first mile marker as about 7:38, which is right about where I want to be-ish. I'm feeling pretty good about things for the most part.

Mile 2 - 7:46, HR 167

Still staying mostly consistent. At about 1.7 miles or so there is a little U-turn thing you have to do while also running part way around a roundabout - @ChiefD would have been thrilled! But overall, I felt really good about my chances to finish this thing strong. I had feared I might start getting gassed around here and/or have mental issues around now, but overall I was really feeling strong and it's only a little over a mile to the finish!

Mile 3 - 7:39, HR 176

Again feeling really good all the way through. That said, I *thought* that I was starting to increase my speed at about 2.6 miles or so into it - strava shows maybe a little bump, and I was starting to pass a few people, but it felt like I was moving faster than the data would indicate. But overall all, my legs felt fine - I did have to concentrate on breathing more than I should but lack of running has the whole cardio thing being a bit off and such.

Mile .17 - 1:28 (6:56 pace), HR 183

My watch captured the end as .21 so just barely long based mostly on taking several of the corners wide to avoid all the water draining off the road into the gutters/drains. I really felt good here and did have some kind of kick left. Only downside was having some guy pushing a freaking stroller pull up beside me as we were finishing. Looking at the finish times, etc, it appears he was just behind me pretty much the whole way. 

Official time: 24:30, 75th out of 865. 

I'll take it! Also, based on the pace time, that puts the 5k time being 23:58 so right on my goal! Also, all the squats and other stuff have paid off some, I think. My legs felt really good the whole time. That said, as mentioned above, all the lack of actual running also had a toll - HR and breathing definitely have a ways to go. However, all things added together, I really feel good about the effort. 

One weird thing about their scoring that I had noticed from looking at times from the last time they did this - although they make a big deal about 'bib time' being what matters and they show bib time and gun time on their results page, it actually lists your place based on gun time rather than bib time. My place per that is 68th. You can easily sort by bib time but it still shows place based on gun time. I copied them all down to excel to find out what place I actually finished. 

well, I figure @gruecd would have been light years in front of me while pushing his stroller but still kind of disheartening to see the guy pull up on me like that!
:lol:

Didnt I just tell the story of my compwtetive runner college roommate getting beat in the NYC marathon by the guy wearing Rockports and another guy in a full pink unitard with pink feather boa.

Back in MD, site of the infamous 5k extravaganza and general strava initiation. 

Its flat. And not much variety. As much as nyc may wear on me especially relative to my childhood duck home with the marin headlands essentially at my doorstep), theres still a pretty good mix of runs right out my door.

@SayWhat? and Western States 100 tracking info:

Ultralive.net live tracking.

Our boy, runner 196

Live broadcast.  This is the first year they're doing this, and I'm looking forward to seeing how they do.  UTMB has done a good job with a live broadcast, but there are spots on this course that are pretty damned remote.

WS100 Mobile App (AndroidIOS) - I think these are also new, haven't checked them out yet.

And just in case our boy doesn't post his pace chart, this page shows 24 hour, 30 hour, and cutoff times by aid station.

Back in MD, site of the infamous 5k extravaganza and general strava initiation. 

Its flat. And not much variety. As much as nyc may wear on me especially relative to my childhood duck home with the marin headlands essentially at my doorstep), theres still a pretty good mix of runs right out my door.
:lmao:

Of course as of this week I officially live in Eugene, but Marin will always be partly a "home" to me.  

Yeah fellas!!  Western States time!  Such a cool environment with stacked fields for both the men and women.  Just finished up prepping and planning, having some dinner, and about to get some fitful sleep before my alarm goes off at 3am.  Just really excited to experience this race, and get this thing done.  Supposed to be hot, but I planned on that.  Anything less than HOT would've been gravy.  I've got my extremely hobbled crew ready to meet up with me at Robinson Flat and Foresthill, with one of my buddies pacing me from Foresthill (mile 62) to Rucky Chucky (mile 78) with another buddy tagging in at Rucky Chucky to the finish. 

I touched on my goals a bit in this post.  I don't think things have changed much.  I'd love love LOVE to go sub-24, and I think if everything went perfectly that I might have upside to 22ish...but I don't anticipate things will go perfectly.  So I'm hoping to run a smart race, which I think is going to be crucial in the heat.  My plan is to not red line my effort in the high country (through mile 30), then just flat survive the canyons (mile 30 to 62) in the heat of the day, and then hope that I have some legs left to run, actually making good progress, during the last 40 miles with my pacers.  

I requested and was granted bib #196.  The 1 is for my wife, because she's my one and has put in more work and showed a hundred times more grit than I ever have throughout the course of this year.  Truly inspiring. The 9 and 6 are the ages of my two beloved daughters.  All three of them are here supporting me.  Planning on glancing down at that number on my leg throughout the race for continued motivation.  Additionally, I'm going to channel my inner @SFBayDuck with thoughts of his will at this very race a few years ago.  He had such a brutal year to run this race...slushy snow for tens of miles to start the race and then a hot as heck year...yet he stuck with it, didn't quit, and got the job done.  Buckle time.  That's the goal, after all.  

It's go time.  We'll see you guys at Auburn...

Yeah fellas!!  Western States time!  Such a cool environment with stacked fields for both the men and women.  Just finished up prepping and planning, having some dinner, and about to get some fitful sleep before my alarm goes off at 3am.  Just really excited to experience this race, and get this thing done.  Supposed to be hot, but I planned on that.  Anything less than HOT would've been gravy.  I've got my extremely hobbled crew ready to meet up with me at Robinson Flat and Foresthill, with one of my buddies pacing me from Foresthill (mile 62) to Rucky Chucky (mile 78) with another buddy tagging in at Rucky Chucky to the finish. 

I touched on my goals a bit in this post.  I don't think things have changed much.  I'd love love LOVE to go sub-24, and I think if everything went perfectly that I might have upside to 22ish...but I don't anticipate things will go perfectly.  So I'm hoping to run a smart race, which I think is going to be crucial in the heat.  My plan is to not red line my effort in the high country (through mile 30), then just flat survive the canyons (mile 30 to 62) in the heat of the day, and then hope that I have some legs left to run, actually making good progress, during the last 40 miles with my pacers.  

I requested and was granted bib #196.  The 1 is for my wife, because she's my one and has put in more work and showed a hundred times more grit than I ever have throughout the course of this year.  Truly inspiring. The 9 and 6 are the ages of my two beloved daughters.  All three of them are here supporting me.  Planning on glancing down at that number on my leg throughout the race for continued motivation.  Additionally, I'm going to channel my inner @SFBayDuck with thoughts of his will at this very race a few years ago.  He had such a brutal year to run this race...slushy snow for tens of miles to start the race and then a hot as heck year...yet he stuck with it, didn't quit, and got the job done.  Buckle time.  That's the goal, after all.  

So pumped. Good luck, GB. Stay healthy, stay strong, and kick some BMF ###.

Oh hell yeah!

Awe-inspiring, just getting to the start line... kick butt and have a blast!

YEAH!  I'm pumped now!  Run it, kill it, endure it, and enjoy it, @SayWhat?!

I've got the livestream on the TV right now, just waiting for coverage to commence.  I'll be looking for Bib 196 all day!

It's cool watching the start live.  Watching Walmsley running up the initial climb.  I know that's normal for him, but it's still awesome to see.

I just tuned in to the livestream, and one of the first things I hear from the female announcer: “I’m just coming off an injury,,,”.  Ah, yes.  The story of our running lives.

Eta: That sunrise from the peak …WOW.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread