What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (2 Viewers)

@SayWhat? and Western States 100 tracking info:

Ultralive.net live tracking.

Our boy, runner 196

Live broadcast.  This is the first year they're doing this, and I'm looking forward to seeing how they do.  UTMB has done a good job with a live broadcast, but there are spots on this course that are pretty damned remote.

WS100 Mobile App (AndroidIOS) - I think these are also new, haven't checked them out yet.

And just in case our boy doesn't post his pace chart, this page shows 24 hour, 30 hour, and cutoff times by aid station.
Bump for the links

The two leaders (Walmsley and Hawks) are through the SECOND aid station already - 15.8 miles in 2:24. In the mountains.

Whoa. :headbang:

I haven’t paid much attention to the lead up, or the sport at all actually. But I did hear that Walmsley had to do a lot of non-running training due to some IT issues. So while he’s obviously the most talented runner out there and has the experience, I think that he can be beaten today. Hawks and Hazen both have the chops to win this, but watch out for my boy Tim Tollefson. He’s more of a mountain guy, UTMB is his passion, but he’s got a road background and plenty of speed to thrown down in the final 40 miles. 

Read @SayWhat?'s story about his number before going out to run today. I'm traveling to attend a wedding today and had seen the trails just a short ways from the airbnb I am staying in. I planned to just "check them out". Motivated by the story, I decided to run to the top of the hill - they start in a valley. 

Long story short, there where a lot more cross-trails than I realized so I ended up wandering around in circles a bit before eventually using the sun to make some of my own trails to get out...

:lmao:

I'm a little worried too find out how much poison ivy I may have wandered through...

The next aid station starts the cut-off ranges. Has to be out of there by 12:30 local time. It's nine miles from aid station 2. He hit that last aid station at 8:39 am.

The next aid station starts the cut-off ranges. Has to be out of there by 12:30 local time. It's nine miles from aid station 2. He hit that last aid station at 8:39 am.
There are several guys within the same range as our guy through the first two aid stations.  They'll be a good gauge as we continue on.  [Channeling my inner BassnBrew.]

Through Duncan Canyon in 5:15. Local time 10:18am.

Well below cut-off time at this point.
Sweet! 

He's 18 minutes behind 24 hour pacing.

He was 15 minutes behind at #1, 20 minutes behind #2, so he's starting to cut it down. This looks like the runnable stretch so hopefully he can pick up some time.

41 women in this 10k for the Olympic team. Not sure I’ve ever seen this many runners on a track. 
We were there, got a little tough to follow the leaders at times as the field got stretched out. But gosh darn is Hayward unbelievable, so happy to finally get in there after walking around it for the last several months. 
Headed home for a bit to follow WS, then back to Hayward this afternoon. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet! 

He was 15 minutes behind at #1, 20 minutes behind #2, so he's starting to cut it down. This looks like the runnable stretch so hopefully he can pick up some time.
Other than that climb up to Robinson Flat. After that it is literally down hill for a long while

Sweet! 

Yeah he’s in a great spot so far, as long as he’s feeling ok through here he’s in good position to stay near that 24 hour pace. But the climb to Robinson sucks (my quote was “Robinson Flat is a ####”), it’s warming up, and you’re still at altitude. So a key part of the race to stay on that 24 hour pace here. Then after a short and annoying road climb you quickly start to lose altitude as you begin to descend out of the high country and into the Canyons. 

He's got a nice posse with him.  I happened to grab screen shots of the men at various points.  At Robinson Flat, the three guys listed in front of him and the three listed right behind him have been with him since the last checkpoint or two.  @SayWhat? and the three listed behind him (Charles, Steven, and Brett) are within a minute of each other, so they must be supporting each other.    

30.3 friggin' miles.  That alone - with heat, elevation, and terrain - would be a BMF day for any of us.  And for those runners, they just call it "Saturday morning."  SMH

WSER 100 starts.  I watch an hour or so of the coverage.  @SayWhat? is running.

Then go for a 90 minute swim.  @SayWhat? is still running.

Come home, shower.  @SayWhat??  Running.

Go to Target with the wife.  She gets some prescriptions filled, I get some groceries, including a couple bottles of Fresca.  @SayWhat? out starting to heat up, and running.

Grab lunch with the wife at a restaurant we haven't tried yet.  It's Canadian-themed.  My wife has scrambled eggs.  I have fish & chips with white vinegar (a Canadian thing).  Then we get some nanaimo bars to go, and head out.  @SayWhat? -- yup, running.

Then to Tom Thumb for some more groceries.  Nothing special there, just the necessities for the week.  @SayWhat? is still cranking out miles.

Now, home.  Seven hours after I left for my swim.  Feels like a full day.  And @SayWhat? is still out there kicking ###.  While my day is pretty much done, his is only 1/3 done.

GO GO GO @SayWhat?, you BADASS!

I haven’t paid much attention to the lead up, or the sport at all actually. But I did hear that Walmsley had to do a lot of non-running training due to some IT issues. So while he’s obviously the most talented runner out there and has the experience, I think that he can be beaten today. Hawks and Hazen both have the chops to win this, but watch out for my boy Tim Tollefson. He’s more of a mountain guy, UTMB is his passion, but he’s got a road background and plenty of speed to thrown down in the final 40 miles. 
Or maybe not. Over a 30 minute lead at Foresthill. 

He's through Miller's Defeat already.  Time of 7:41:00.
Made up time there, into Dusty Corners at mile 38 in 8:20, now within 10 minutes of that 24-hour pace. 
This next part he’ll start to see down into the Canyons, running on some single track on the edge of it as he works down to Last Chance.  Then it’s a steep hammer down into Deadwood Canyon and up the climb to Devils Thumb. I just got nauseous thinking about it…..

He's about 45 minutes away from next checkpoint. Still about 15 minutes away from 24 hour pace. He's been holding steady. Hope he's hanging in there without and major issues. 
Still running with a lot of the same guys. ...several recurring names both in front of him and behind him.  He's been with Charles H the whole race.  See how all that plays out over the back half of the race.

Users who are viewing this thread