What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (13 Viewers)

Just spent the better part of the day at the memorial service for that kid from my step-son's boy scout troop who hung himself. It was rough.

I only knew the kid a little bit, but apparently my impressions were accurate. He was a wonderful person. And it seems nobody really has a clue why he did this.
Ugh.

The kids went too? If so, how are they processing things?

Just spent the better part of the day at the memorial service for that kid from my step-son's boy scout troop who hung himself. It was rough.

I only knew the kid a little bit, but apparently my impressions were accurate. He was a wonderful person. And it seems nobody really has a clue why he did this.
Damn

:( Just awful.

Ugh.

The kids went too? If so, how are they processing things?
My two step-sons went. My kids didn't. We don't have them this weekend and they didn't know him.

It is hard to know how they are dealing with it all, exactly. There was also a meeting with a grief counselor for the Boy Scout troop a few weeks back. At both things the parents (including Wife 2.0 and me) were getting choked up, tearing up, or outright sobbing but the kids were mostly sorta blank.

Any 19 year old killing himself is tragic. But the thing that was extraordinary about this is what kind of kid this was.

The second speaker yesterday was his science teacher from his freshman year in HS. She thought he was a great kid when she had him in her class for the year. Then she was diagnosed with some kind of cancer, I think the summer between his freshman and sophomore year.

She kept teaching through chemo and he came in to help her out with things basically every day until she got better. It sounds like he was sometimes there multiple times a day. He cleaned up around the classroom and was positive and encouraging the whole time. He dealt with a situation where she puked a waste basket during a class. He brought her an aquarium and a turtle, to help her feel better. Then he took care of the turtle for her, feeding it and cleaning the aquarium. She said that as a teacher she really hopes to make a positive impact beyond the curriculum on even just a few of her students every year and said that, in his case, the kid was the one who inspired her.

If her speech had been in a script of a movie or TV show I would have dismissed it as being over the top and unrealistic.

All the speeches were like that. Everybody talked about how empathic, optimistic and helpful he was. I came away both incredibly heart-broken but also feeling inspired to try to be a better person myself. 

I should add that the kid wasn't perfect. In fact, with all his helping people and rallying his friends to do fun things spontaneously, no wonder his grades sucked. :lmao:   :( :cry:

Help me win my survivor pool at work.  Who would you pick to win the Super Bowl (straight up, no spread) and the point total.  I got 150 racks* on the line here.

*$1 per rack
Because you're all dying to know

Female teacher... Patriots 60 points

Me .... Patriots..... 59 points

Student/son of PE teacher... Falcons.... 61 points

i think I'm looking good

Pats and the under are both "good" bets. I like the first half under/second half over, too. 

The Falcons defense is built to protect leads by attacking passing offenses, not stopping ball control offenses. They score first, pick up a couple first downs get a big chunk play, and then play aggressive pass defense the rest of the way to mask their weak d backs. The Pats are obviously able to get out to a lead but Brady and co. have made Superbowl comebacks down two scores in the 4th quarter against better defenses. Falcons offense is built to get big plays, not get 5 yard gains every play, and the Pats defense is designed for exactly that.

I fully believe the Falcons can run well with them for a while but barring a big early lead they don't rate to force the Pats out of their comfort zone. But the Pats can force the Falcons out of their comfort zone just by keeping the game close and running the ball a lot, let alone getting out to a big lead. 

The experience factor is real, but it's also about experience dealing with adversity. The Falcons are good enough to avoid having adversity by just blowing up early and never looking back but all other game flows give an edge to the pats.

I also think almost all of those game flows give an edge to the under, with the pats playing ball control offense and trying to slow things down on defense. Both of these offenses want to slow things down and keep the ball away from the other guy, and both these defenses are going to give up.some long drives and try to force mistakes.

That's also why i like the first half under. Both offenses are capable of putting the gas on, but early on they're going to be feeling each other out. The pats dont get over aggressive down a score or two early. The falcons can score quickly but the pats are going to try to play bend but dont break and keep things in front of them, if the falcons get aggressive and don't take the short gains it's going to be hard to score quickly. I can see either team leading 17-7 early, but i dont see them going back and forth swapping tds all game. The second half is when the trailing team is going to get aggressive on offense, imo.  

Pats and the under are both "good" bets. I like the first half under/second half over, too. 

The Falcons defense is built to protect leads by attacking passing offenses, not stopping ball control offenses. They score first, pick up a couple first downs get a big chunk play, and then play aggressive pass defense the rest of the way to mask their weak d backs. The Pats are obviously able to get out to a lead but Brady and co. have made Superbowl comebacks down two scores in the 4th quarter against better defenses. Falcons offense is built to get big plays, not get 5 yard gains every play, and the Pats defense is designed for exactly that.

I fully believe the Falcons can run well with them for a while but barring a big early lead they don't rate to force the Pats out of their comfort zone. But the Pats can force the Falcons out of their comfort zone just by keeping the game close and running the ball a lot, let alone getting out to a big lead. 

The experience factor is real, but it's also about experience dealing with adversity. The Falcons are good enough to avoid having adversity by just blowing up early and never looking back but all other game flows give an edge to the pats.

I also think almost all of those game flows give an edge to the under, with the pats playing ball control offense and trying to slow things down on defense. Both of these offenses want to slow things down and keep the ball away from the other guy, and both these defenses are going to give up.some long drives and try to force mistakes.

That's also why i like the first half under. Both offenses are capable of putting the gas on, but early on they're going to be feeling each other out. The pats dont get over aggressive down a score or two early. The falcons can score quickly but the pats are going to try to play bend but dont break and keep things in front of them, if the falcons get aggressive and don't take the short gains it's going to be hard to score quickly. I can see either team leading 17-7 early, but i dont see them going back and forth swapping tds all game. The second half is when the trailing team is going to get aggressive on offense, imo.  
I parlayed Atlanta moneyline (+130) with the over (57) 

pretty sure i just won 500 in magic football, by 2 points!  the greatest living american, apologies to trumpettes, tom brady, got me just enough points to win.  i'd know for sure if the #### *** nfl.com site could magically do real time updates to the standings.  but that would be too easy.

nice run at GM's league tre!  we came close.  i had the same lineup in the won i think i won

Not me.

I never know what's inside jokes and what's not. 

#### you farts.
Weirdly hostile, but okay.

If I was looking to bust your balls, I would make fun of spending the money to go to Columbia to become an architect. But that would be needlessly hurtful. Plus, I was waiting for you to do it.

You are from CA, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Weirdly hostile, but okay.

If I was looking to bust your balls, I would make fun of spending the money to go to Columbia to become an architect. But that would be needlessly hurtful. Plus, I was waiting for you to do it.

You are from CA, right?
Lol. I just like saying #### you farts. 

But... Yeah. That is dumb- spending money anywhere to become architect.

From CA, but north. Marin.

Users who are viewing this thread