What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (21 Viewers)

Then it screams mid-life crisis.

If there's a thing you want and you go get it, it's "I can do what I want."  If you just want a tattoo for the sake of getting one, it's a crisis.
Agreed.  I have some in mind, but wanted to open it for suggestions for shtick's sake.  I'll get off your lawn now.

Agreed.  I have some in mind, but wanted to open it for suggestions for shtick's sake.  I'll get off your lawn now.
I assumed you had something in mind.  I was trying to shtick with you, but I'm apparently not very shticky today.

Last edited by a moderator:
anyone ever been to Turks & Caicos?    

field report please, thinking about taking wife there
yep... but caveat- like, 15 years ago.

grace beach on provo is phenomenal- one of the nicer beaches youll ever see. if you can get a place on the beach (and there are tons of them- the beach is like 14miles long), you're golden. and there's a range of time-share/condo options to full-service 5 star hotels.

where we were there (twice) the food and service was the worst I'd ever had in the caribbean... or pretty much anywhere. but from what I understand, it's much improved since then (nowhere to go but up I suppose). but I love the beach, hotel options and very easy direct flight (from NYC).

anyone ever been to Turks & Caicos?    

field report please, thinking about taking wife there
We went sometime recently - maybe two years ago?  I was underwhelmed, but it just might not be my kind of vacation.  I think TRE has been there many times and is an expert on where to go; you might wish to ask him. 

We went sometime recently - maybe two years ago?  I was underwhelmed, but it just might not be my kind of vacation.  I think TRE has been there many times and is an expert on where to go; you might wish to ask him. 
what was underwhelming to you about it?

I thought the beach was fantastic... but the time-sharey, resorts breathing down on the beach scene has never been for us. also, as I mentioned above- the food and service was abysmal. but that was a long time ago- how did you find that part of things?

eta: it's nowhere near our favorite carib spot- but grace beach and the easy fly-in airport are nice.

Yes, Tre's the Providenciales expert. 

Turks and Caicos was fine.  We stayed in a house on Taylor Bay, which was much quieter and more secluded.  We went over to Grace Bay Beach and checked it out.  It was nice.  Probably preferred being away from all the resorts, even if the beach wasn't quite as nice. 

The poverty is striking when you're not in the resort areas.  And there are homeless dogs (Potcakes) everywhere. 

Mostly it's just a good place to laze your days away drinking on a beach, but we did have some great experiences while we were there.  There were 5 of us, including my daughter.  We took a boat out and anchored, where the women snorkeled and the guys on the boat gave my buddy and I spears to fish for lobster (we were also in snorkels; no diving).  We caught a #### ton of them, along with a couple of fish and a few conch we found, they took us to a deserted island and cleaned them all, cooked up a nice meal, and sent us on our way with enough lobster that we had 3 more meals with it while we were there.  That whole thing was pretty reasonable (as opposed to the sportfishing excursion we looked into, which was prohibitively expensive compared to places we'd done it).

My daughter loved the horseback riding place.  You take them down to the beach and ride them in the ocean, which you don't get everywhere.  We also let her go to the dog rescue, where you can get a puppy to take to the beach for half a day (easiest way for them to get them socialized).  As a bonus, you'll get to meet everyone wearing a bikini on that beach.

Lots of fresh fish.  Everything else is expensive 'cause it has to be flown in.  The Turks Head Lager was pretty good.  We drank a ton of it, 'cause again, everything else has to be flown in.  Trying to think of what else stands out.  Of all the islands I've been to, it was one. 

what was underwhelming to you about it?

I thought the beach was fantastic... but the time-sharey, resorts breathing down on the beach scene has never been for us. also, as I mentioned above- the food and service was abysmal. but that was a long time ago- how did you find that part of things?

eta: it's nowhere near our favorite carib spot- but grace beach and the easy fly-in airport are nice.
You answered your own question.  I didn't find the service abysmal, though not great either.  Food was not very good IMO.  Mostly the place just doesn't stand out to me in any way, as Bob alluded to.

We went several places with really good food, and I had no real complaints about the service.  They're definitely on island time, but nothing awful. 

We had fun.  It was a cheap trip for us, so it was completely worth it.  For a full price trip there, I'd probably try lots of places I've never been before I'd go back.  We're headed to USVI later this year.  Curious to see how it compares.

Users who are viewing this thread