Top Posters In This Topic

• Officer Pete Malloy

• General Malaise

• El Floppo

• kevzilla

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Moo.

HELLO FROM REHAB!!!!   Not sure if anything's been shared but Sunday dinner at my parents' a couple weeks ago was in fact an elaborate ruse to stage an intervention.  Actually it wasn't very

Thanks for all the thropwas everybody.  I'm doing alright, hanging out with family and friends, tipping back cold ones, grilling and enjoying 80 degree weather.  Despite being a little sad, I'm reliev

Posted Images

1 hour ago, kevzilla said:

Now home, still no power. In the morning, I'ma look like Jack Nicholson in The Shining. It was a run.

sorry kev, hope you have lots of blankets ...it's coming our way, but looks like precipitation is going south of us

Woke up at 4:30 to see my phone shut down due to dead battery. The every-30-second chirp of my smoke alarm was the cherry on top.

Got in my car and drove. For a while. Hit the grocery store when they opened and Wal-Mart when they did. Just texted my manager and told her I didn't see how I was going to work. Getting blazed now, might go see if they got the mall opened later. I doubt it, most of Austin is closed. 

Apologies to all for turning this into Kev's Thread About Shivering. 

• Like 4

Woke up at 4:30 to see my phone shut down due to dead battery. The every-30-second chirp of my smoke alarm was the cherry on top.

Got in my car and drove. For a while. Hit the grocery store when they opened and Wal-Mart when they did. Just texted my manager and told her I didn't see how I was going to work. Getting blazed now, might go see if they got the mall opened later. I doubt it, most of Austin is closed. 

Apologies to all for turning this into Kev's Thread About Shivering. 

It's a fun stream of consciousness or lack of consciousness.

Only took 24 hours, but the power is on. My thermostat said 48 degrees when it came on, and it was colder than that last night. Don't take the grid for granted, folks. Civilization, as we've seen recently, is a thin veneer.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1
7 minutes ago, kevzilla said:

Only took 24 hours, but the power is on. My thermostat said 48 degrees when it came on, and it was colder than that last night. Don't take the grid for granted, folks. Civilization, as we've seen recently, is a thin veneer.

ice storms are no joke down here ...we're further north but haven't seen a tough one in a number of years - if looks like it's gonna be more than a day or two before power is restored it really is one of those times where you get in the car and drive until you find a hotel with power.

Anyone else here get bombarded with job leads from recruiters? I just got 2 texts, an email, and voice mail all in about 2 minutes from a recruiter in Ft. Lauderdale who “has the perfect position for someone with my skill set”. Out of spite, I should find the actual company who is offering the position and tell them this recruiter sucks and is probably costing them real candidates for positions. 

Edited by Osaurus
  • Like 1
37 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Anyone else here get bombarded with job leads from recruiters? I just got 2 texts, an email, and voice mail all in about 2 minutes from a recruiter in Ft. Lauderdale who “has the perfect position for someone with my skill set”. Out of spite, I should find the actual company who is offering the position and tell them this recruiter sucks and is probably costing them real candidates for positions. 

:mellow:

1 hour ago, Osaurus said:

I used to get a lot more headhunting calls than I do now (I should probably think about why that is, but IDGAF).

ANYWAY, back in the late 90s and early 00s, I kept this on a tape deck and would blast it every time I got one of those calls. Most callers hung up before the chorus, but I remember one dude screaming through the speaker "I love this song, but I just need to talk to you!". I turned up the volume.

• Laughing 2
4 hours ago, Osaurus said:

At my work email I get emails from a placement service "with the perfect candidate for your company".   I have no idea how they got my email, we never used them to try and find an employee.  They also have my name spelled wrong in a way that is not a real name, and their emails have some broken/bad english.  A few years ago I emailed back with "remove us, we aren't looking..." since then the address/person that sends them has changed 4 times.  I just have their domain set to go to the trash.

• Like 1
On 2/12/2021 at 3:52 PM, Osaurus said:

“has the perfect position for someone with my skill set”

Had a call a couple years ago from a head hunter that said these exact words to me. Told me about the job, it was for a Journeyman Tool & Die Maker with Stamping experience and it was a prefect fit, great money and benefits.

Huh, I said to him, "I haven't been a Tool & Die Maker for the past 10 years". I'm a CAD Designer.

Silence......... "Ok, well if something comes up I'll give you a ring". Click

• Thanks 1

Eight degrees this morning. In my car charging my phone and getting warm for the first time since Sunday. Though unqualified to drive on snow, I'll be going somewhere later. Water is also out, and I used my one flush at 2:30 AM.

• Sad 2
27 minutes ago, kevzilla said:

Eight degrees this morning. In my car charging my phone and getting warm for the first time since Sunday. Though unqualified to drive on snow, I'll be going somewhere later. Water is also out, and I used my one flush at 2:30 AM.

That sucks and hope your power is on soon. 

If your pipes are frozen you should shut the water off to your house.  There is a good chance you will have a cracked pipe and turning off the water will limit the damage once they thaw. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, berndog said:

That sucks and hope your power is on soon. 

If your pipes are frozen you should shut the water off to your house.  There is a good chance you will have a cracked pipe and turning off the water will limit the damage once they thaw. 

Water is off to the complex right now. Ima melt some snow and pour it into the toilet, but it will be a slow process. 

37 minutes ago, kevzilla said:

Water is off to the complex right now. Ima melt some snow and pour it into the toilet, but it will be a slow process. 

Making wine? ;)

It's actually quite a bit more comfortable in my car with the engine off than it is is my house. But the real reason I'm out here is that I don't know how far I have to go to find a functioning public restroom, or how soon to start.  :oldunsure:

• Sad 1

It's actually quite a bit more comfortable in my car with the engine off than it is is my house. But the real reason I'm out here is that I don't know how far I have to go to find a functioning public restroom, or how soon to start.  :oldunsure:

Stay safe gb...this thing is no joke.

19 minutes ago, kevzilla said:

Update: 45 minutes to get into Target, and they closed the line shortly behind me. 

The line to the can? On account of the destruction?

59 minutes ago, kevzilla said:

Update: 45 minutes to get into Target, and they closed the line shortly behind me. 

Is anybody buying anything or people are just walking around for warmth?

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

Is anybody buying anything or people are just walking around for warmth?

They're getting cleaned out. More importantly, a simple bottle of sweet tea, guzzled in line, ensured that I could handle my business.

• Like 2

CONVERSATION JIM

Fireplace electric

[I]Please be patient while you are being connected with an operator ...[/i]

Robot

[I]You are now chatting with Jim

You are looking for electric fireplaces?[/i]

Jim if you are a real dude I'm sorry

[I]I am haha[/i]

Yes I'm looking for some k ind kf electric fireplace

[I]Sure one moment

Local furniture store website redacted.com/living-room-furniture/fireplaces.html[/i]

What category is that i tried appliances lol

[I]Under living room there is a fireplace category[/i]

Where did Brady earn his sixth ring not a furniture question sorry

####

[I]That I can't help you with haha.[/i]

I cant type imtried talk to text and that went well lol

[I]I see that haha[/i]

Ok cool was trying the turing test results inconclusive but I believe in you thank you for your help lol

[I]You're welcome![/i]

So the swear word was an accident...

Verdict... is Jim a real guy?  Or a clever bot?

• Thinking 1

Spending a little extra quality time in my car before going into my cold, dark house for another night. I bought a lantern/phone bank with a hand crank. I assure my iFriends that USB works better than that crank.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, kevzilla said:

Spending a little extra quality time in my car before going into my cold, dark house for another night. I bought a lantern/phone bank with a hand crank. I assure my iFriends that USB works better than that crank.

Have you heard any sort of timeline for power to return?

1 hour ago, bostonfred said:

If you're using your car as a charger then don't sit idle you need to drive it around a little or you might end up with a dead battery. 

Every day, I have to find a public restroom. Sometimes twice.

Here comes the big melt today. We will start to see who has broken pipes and the roads will be in the best shape in a week.

But tonight is another hard freeze, so it will be very icy in the morning, but warm up all day and no more freezes in the forecast.

We limped through then ordeal with a tiny gas generator which ran the fan for our gas furnace, our router, a couple of tvs and lamps. For the most part the router was kind of worthless, since Spectrum was mostly down, but I'm not complaining, most here had it much worse. I bought the generator last Thursday a couple hours before we lost power and my wife thinks I am a genius.

It won't take long to disprove that.

• Like 8
11 minutes ago, cosjobs said:

Here comes the big melt today. We will start to see who has broken pipes and the roads will be in the best shape in a week.

But tonight is another hard freeze, so it will be very icy in the morning, but warm up all day and no more freezes in the forecast.

We limped through then ordeal with a tiny gas generator which ran the fan for our gas furnace, our router, a couple of tvs and lamps. For the most part the router was kind of worthless, since Spectrum was mostly down, but I'm not complaining, most here had it much worse. I bought the generator last Thursday a couple hours before we lost power and my wife thinks I am a genius.

It won't take long to disprove that.

Nice move with the generator, copernicus. 

Glad to hear you guys are ok.

Portland folks,

I’m arriving 4/2 around noon and will be out on the coast 4/3 and part of 4/4. I’ll be in Portland proper part of 4/4 and 4/5. I head out 4/6. This trip (unlike many other attempts) is actually happening. 

Edited by Osaurus
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, bostonfred said:

Where's @General Malaisebeen?  I'm not a Facebook guy so maybe everyone else knows what he's been up to

He’s been busy in the PSF or whatever it’s called now