What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (14 Viewers)

shuke said:
Decided I'm not going to #### with fixing my bike. Just going to buy a new one. Fat as #### and I need to do something.
I spent $350ish on a new bike a few years ago. Got a Fuji Absolute 3.0. Local store gives me free lifetime tuneups. Hadn't owned a bike since middle school and I have absolutely zero regrets with this one. Well, my only regret is I don't use it enough, but every so often, I take it to work and love it.
My first 10 speed was a beautiful magenta colored Fuji. I spent $120 on it back in 1973. That represented a lot of lawn mowing and snow shoveling. I loved that bike. It was on that bike that I realized that distances of 20 to 70 miles were very makeable on a bike. Some low life rat ******* stole it in 1977 out of my parent's garage and I then went with a Motobecane. That bike was stolen in 1980. I had one of those Kryptonite locks. The thief cut the bike rack to get it instead of cutting the lock. I was stunned, particularly because I had the front tire with me at the time. I have been riding Treks since then, the Burke family who makes them being family friends I have gotten good deals.
can you get a brother a hook up?

shuke said:
Decided I'm not going to #### with fixing my bike. Just going to buy a new one. Fat as #### and I need to do something.
I spent $350ish on a new bike a few years ago. Got a Fuji Absolute 3.0. Local store gives me free lifetime tuneups. Hadn't owned a bike since middle school and I have absolutely zero regrets with this one. Well, my only regret is I don't use it enough, but every so often, I take it to work and love it.
My first 10 speed was a beautiful magenta colored Fuji. I spent $120 on it back in 1973. That represented a lot of lawn mowing and snow shoveling. I loved that bike. It was on that bike that I realized that distances of 20 to 70 miles were very makeable on a bike. Some low life rat ******* stole it in 1977 out of my parent's garage and I then went with a Motobecane. That bike was stolen in 1980. I had one of those Kryptonite locks. The thief cut the bike rack to get it instead of cutting the lock. I was stunned, particularly because I had the front tire with me at the time. I have been riding Treks since then, the Burke family who makes them being family friends I have gotten good deals.
Treks are nice...I coached a kid whose dad worked for Trek and told me he'd get me a deal, but even at a reduced price it was out of my comfort zone. The Fuji was perfectly priced for me. For a while, I was biking every day to work on a bet with my boss, but right now, I have to help take kids to school in the morning and need a car. I'm also getting very lazy. :bag:

hours on this particular contract are from 9pm-7am
What kind of job is this?

Congrats.
It's with a company that does hazardous materials work. The company does site surveys to find the materials and then oversees the contractors that remove it.
I work with this industry on every project- seems like a good business, as long as you're not doing the removal.congrats on the new job :thumbup:

how old are the kids? (while I typed that, I just imagined your response being "late-20s")
Yeah, it's definitely a niche industry, but it turns out that hazardous materials were pretty much used in everything so there's a lot of work. And yes, definitely happy to be doing the survey/monitoring side and not the removal side.

Daughter just turned 6 in April. Had wanted to be employed again when she started full day kindergarten this past fall, but our life has been pretty insane over the last year and a half and kind of conspired against that.

Congrats.
It's with a company that does hazardous materials work. The company does site surveys to find the materials and then oversees the contractors that remove it.
I work with this industry on every project- seems like a good business, as long as you're not doing the removal.congrats on the new job :thumbup:

how old are the kids? (while I typed that, I just imagined your response being "late-20s")
Yeah, it's definitely a niche industry, but it turns out that hazardous materials were pretty much used in everything so there's a lot of work. And yes, definitely happy to be doing the survey/monitoring side and not the removal side.Daughter just turned 6 in April. Had wanted to be employed again when she started full day kindergarten this past fall, but our life has been pretty insane over the last year and a half and kind of conspired against that.
LOOK AT ME I GET TO CHECK FOR HEXAVALENT CHROMIUM!!!ETA: congrats

Last edited by a moderator:
shuke said:
can you get a brother a hook up?
I get hooked up by my father when we go back to Wisconsin to visit family and friends. Its really his connection, though I did teach John Burke, who took over the company for his pops, to sail back in the 70's.

Back then manufacturing bike frames in America was a radical idea. Schwinn and Huffy were leaving and it was common knowledge one could not compete with the Japanese and the Europeans. Mr. Burke disagreed though I think his move was borne of desperation.

shuke said:
Treks are nice...I coached a kid whose dad worked for Trek and told me he'd get me a deal, but even at a reduced price it was out of my comfort zone. The Fuji was perfectly priced for me. For a while, I was biking every day to work on a bet with my boss, but right now, I have to help take kids to school in the morning and need a car. I'm also getting very lazy. :bag:
Hopefully, your sperm will follow suit.

shuke said:
Just going to cut this thing off.

shuke said:
My pops got one of Trek's first "Mountain bikes". More of a fat tire road cruiser by today's standards. He rode that thing everyday until 2000 when it was 20 years old and then gave it to me for a bad weather bike. At the time it was original, excepting the tires and an Aerobar my pops had mounted. I kept it and used it through 2010 at which time I shipped it back to Trek as a curiosity. At the time the bike had well in excess of 300,000 miles on it and the frame was still solid. That is saying a lot as my pops goes 210lbs, and I went as high as 290 lbs. during my stint on it.

Congrats.

Yeah, it's definitely a niche industry, but it turns out that hazardous materials were pretty much used in everything so there's a lot of work. And yes, definitely happy to be doing the survey/monitoring side and not the removal side.

Daughter just turned 6 in April. Had wanted to be employed again when she started full day kindergarten this past fall, but our life has been pretty insane over the last year and a half and kind of conspired against that.
not sure what it's like where you are, but in NYC the DOB has mandated that we hire environmental firms to provide an "all-clear" report (ACP-5 :nerd: ) before we get a permit to build anything. I would imagine the same would be true of any renovation/remodel work outside of the city too.

so great you got to be there with your daughter the first 6 years. I did my best (working from home my son's first year, and then layed off his fourth- and when my daughter was born), but would have loved to have done that. what does she think about not having your around so much... or will your graveyard hours allow you to still take her to school when you get back from work?

shuke said:
Just going to cut this thing off.
As an alternate plan can I suggest you visit a few whorehouses in Manila. The cost will be the same, you will enjoy yourself more, and within a week to ten days it will fall off naturally due the things you will catch.

Congrats.

Yeah, it's definitely a niche industry, but it turns out that hazardous materials were pretty much used in everything so there's a lot of work. And yes, definitely happy to be doing the survey/monitoring side and not the removal side.Daughter just turned 6 in April. Had wanted to be employed again when she started full day kindergarten this past fall, but our life has been pretty insane over the last year and a half and kind of conspired against that.
not sure what it's like where you are, but in NYC the DOB has mandated that we hire environmental firms to provide an "all-clear" report (ACP-5 :nerd: ) before we get a permit to build anything. I would imagine the same would be true of any renovation/remodel work outside of the city too.

so great you got to be there with your daughter the first 6 years. I did my best (working from home my son's first year, and then layed off his fourth- and when my daughter was born), but would have loved to have done that. what does she think about not having your around so much... or will your graveyard hours allow you to still take her to school when you get back from work?
Unfortunately, she'll be on the bus before I get home most likely. That could change in the future.

shuke said:
My pops got one of Trek's first "Mountain bikes". More of a fat tire road cruiser by today's standards. He rode that thing everyday until 2000 when it was 20 years old and then gave it to me for a bad weather bike. At the time it was original, excepting the tires and an Aerobar my pops had mounted. I kept it and used it through 2010 at which time I shipped it back to Trek as a curiosity. At the time the bike had well in excess of 300,000 miles on it and the frame was still solid. That is saying a lot as my pops goes 210lbs, and I went as high as 290 lbs. during my stint on it.
cool what did they say? did you get it back?

shuke said:
cool what did they say? did you get it back?
I got a nice note. They said they were going to keep it around the factory as a curiosity. When Mr. Burke came through Naples Fl. where my pops now lives, he took us to dinner. He asked what my pops was riding, a Cannondale at the time, though maybe only 10 miles at a time, and certainly not daily anymore, my pops being 81 at the time. He sent my pops a bike the next week to get him off the Cannondale, and he also built a tricycle for my older brother who is quite impaired due to M.S. A real nice gesture in my book.

Our families once co-sponsored a yacht club picnic for the entirety of Beaver Lake. That must have been in 1970 I am thinking, though maybe it was as late as 1972. I was constantly stoned in those days and now, 40+ years hence, some chronology for incidental events eludes me some.

I work from home which is usually great. But I'm having an issue with timing the beginning of my nightly beer drinking. Basically most days I'm 'off the clock' around 5-5:30. Great! We eat dinner around 6:30-7. Kids usually have rock climbing/dance/underwater basket weaving from 5ish to 6:30ish. Wife takes them.

So tempted to crack the first beer around 5:30-6 but I feel like that's kinda, I don't know, lush. Most people commute, get home at 6-6:30 rush to get dinner, kids homework and in bed and naturally start the drinking around 8-9. That seems appropriate. Drinking an IPA around 5:20 on a Tuesday 1.5 hrs before dinner seems wrong.

#earlydrinkinghumblebrag

I work from home which is usually great. But I'm having an issue with timing the beginning of my nightly beer drinking. Basically most days I'm 'off the clock' around 5-5:30. Great! We eat dinner around 6:30-7. Kids usually have rock climbing/dance/underwater basket weaving from 5ish to 6:30ish. Wife takes them.

So tempted to crack the first beer around 5:30-6 but I feel like that's kinda, I don't know, lush. Most people commute, get home at 6-6:30 rush to get dinner, kids homework and in bed and naturally start the drinking around 8-9. That seems appropriate. Drinking an IPA around 5:20 on a Tuesday 1.5 hrs before dinner seems wrong.

#earlydrinkinghumblebrag
That drinking time seems more than appropriate.

Way overthinking this. Drink up, Nancy.

PS - I may have tailgated at 7 am and consumed mimosas out of a coffee mug all day at a community forum on health care last month. YMMV.

Can I get a ruling on wedge salads? Wife loves them and I keep telling her they're stupid because it's just taking regular salad and making it more difficult to eat

Can I get a ruling on wedge salads? Wife loves them and I keep telling her they're stupid because it's just taking regular salad and making it more difficult to eat
You get fresh, crispy iceberg lettuce with bacon, chunks of blue cheese along with homemade blue cheese dressing and good tomatoes - AND you get to eat it with a steak knife? What's not to like?

You get fresh, crispy iceberg lettuce with bacon, chunks of blue cheese along with homemade blue cheese dressing and good tomatoes - AND you get to eat it with a steak knife? What's not to like?
The whole having to cut it up part

Sorry, I wasn't clear, the point was that the knife part was a plus rather than a negative. Yeah that part is tough to overcome, its a total hassle to use 2 utensils to eat - especially salads where at least half of them you have to cut up anyway unless you like to try and stuff 6-8 inch-around lettuce pieces into your face.

If I were you, I wouldn't let your wife handle a steak knife near you anyway - she has to want to stab you so often, it's just too much of an unnecessary risk for you.

We want you here.

Sorry, I wasn't clear, the point was that the knife part was a plus rather than a negative. Yeah that part is tough to overcome, its a total hassle to use 2 utensils to eat - especially salads where at least half of them you have to cut up anyway unless you like to try and stuff 6-8 inch-around lettuce pieces into your face.

If I were you, I wouldn't let your wife handle a steak knife near you anyway - she has to want to stab you so often, it's just too much of an unnecessary risk for you.

We want you here.
:goodposting: surprised I've made it this long

#earlydrinkinghumblebrag
The hell's the matter with you?

Users who are viewing this thread