What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If you could change the outcome of one play, what would it be? (1 Viewer)

I only get one? I am a Cleveland fan narrowing it to one is almost an impossible task.

Jan. 11, 1978 AFC Championship. Elway hits Mark Johnson for a 20 yd completion on 3rd and 18 to keep "The Drive" alive.

Jan. 17, 1988 AFC Championship. Jeremiah Castille causes Ernest Byner to fumble at the two yard line on his way into the end zone for the potentially tying score with about a minute left in regulation.

See, I couldn't pick just one....

I only get one? I am a Cleveland fan narrowing it to one is almost an impossible task.

Jan. 11, 1978 AFC Championship. Elway hits Mark Johnson for a 20 yd completion on 3rd and 18 to keep "The Drive" alive.

Jan. 17, 1988 AFC Championship. Jeremiah Castille causes Ernest Byner to fumble at the two yard line on his way into the end zone for the potentially tying score with about a minute left in regulation.

Brian Sipe would like to have a word with you

Santonio holmes in the edge of the endzone. Hate that guy! Second would be John Paxxon hitting that three in game six against the suns. That game 7 would have been epic.

F_ck...I was at that game. But at least it wasn't the conferrence championship

We can add "The Shot" by Jordan and and Jose Mesa's bottom of the 9th in game 7 if we venture away from football...

Neil O Donnell doesn't throw that second interception to Larry Brown. For some reason. 20 years later, that still hurts.

2014 Nats-Giants NLDS Game 2, bottom of the 15th. Had already sat through a Game 1 one-run loss the day before, and that night I watched the Giants tie the game after Nats led 1-0 with 2 outs and nobody on in the 9th. It's freezing cold and my old man's been sitting there with me for 5 hours suffering. Denard Span draws a two out walk. He goes on a 2-1 pitch as Rendon crushes it to the gap in right-center. If the ball hits the wall the game is over. Instead, the ball dies in the wind and cold, is caught at the wall, and we sit in misery for another hour before Brandon Belt homers in the 18th for the go-ahead run.

Giants go on to win that game, take the series in 4, and win the World Series. I honestly think if that ball had made it to the wall it would have been the Nats instead, and I'd have that memory of the marathon win in the cold I watched with my aging dad, plus whatever other memories would have followed. Instead I'm scarred for life, or at least until they win a playoff series.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saints @ 49ers, 2011 division game. 4th quarter, time running down, 49ers down by 3. Alex Smith completed a 47 yard pass to Vernon ####### Davis to the Saints 20 yard line, putting them in position for the game winning score with 9 seconds left.

if the Saints win that game, I think they win it all that year. which is great enough for me as a Saints fan, but would also put an extra $4K in my pocket.

The Tyree catch is my most hated play of all-time because it's the ultimate total fluke... and I'm not even a Pats fan.

But really what I hate are plays that were egregiously mis-called by refs or were bad rules for the intent of the game.... like the Tuck Rule.

And I realize my Royals most likely wouldn't have a title without one of the worst ref calls I've seen.. the Game 6 '85 series Denkinger call.

Jordan shot. Other Jordan shot. Sipe interception. Renteria hit. And so on.

eta - I see these have been covered.

win the World Series.
Only Madison Baugauner was beating the Royals last year, your nationals would've gotten Pwned.
Cool, thanks for correcting my story. Enjoy the pending 75-87 Royals season.
Agree they will probably be .500 or worse this season. No question.

And they were far from the best team last year... but that team caught a FIRE during the playoffs that was sick... and it took the finest pitching performance in WS history to stop it.

What were the Nationals going to do about it?

F_ck...I was at that game. But at least it wasn't the conferrence championship

We can add "The Shot" by Jordan and and Jose Mesa's bottom of the 9th in game 7 if we venture away from football...
Was just coming to post this, for only one play: the fumble, Craig Ehlo tackling Jordan, the phone line going dead just as Grover decided to go to the bullpen. Cleveland has a play for every season.

win the World Series.
Only Madison Baugauner was beating the Royals last year, your nationals would've gotten Pwned.
Cool, thanks for correcting my story. Enjoy the pending 75-87 Royals season.
Agree they will probably be .500 or worse this season. No question.

And they were far from the best team last year... but that team caught a FIRE during the playoffs that was sick... and it took the finest pitching performance in WS history to stop it.

What were the Nationals going to do about it?
You're right, the Nats didn't have any starting pitching that was capable of shutting down that powerhouse Royals offense.

Seriously- I don't know if they would have won the whole thing. I don't even know if they would have made it there. They would have been heavily favored in Game 5 (Strasburg v. Peavy at home), they would have been slight favorites in the NLCS, and they would have been heavily favored in the World Series, but being a favorite doesn't mean you win. Thing is, being in that hypothetical position would be the closest any team in DC has been to a title in 25 years. So that's how I answered the question. Plus then I'd have a happy memory of watching the game with my dad instead of the miserable one.

First offensive play for the Colts in Super Bowl XLI.

Peyton Manning gets stepped on by his center and breaks his ankle. Jim Sorgi has to come in and play.

Bears win.
Same game, but I'd say turn that last Grossman int into a reception. I don't remember the exact situation, but I think it would have put the bears deep in Indy territory with a chance to at least get back in the game.Also it would mean Joffer's wall wouldn't have a crack in it... Whoops..

Yes but, perfection, so close. Stuffing it to those Miami snobs. :hot: :hot: :hot:

ETA: and it will almost certainly never happen again for my team
Tyree happened on 3rd down. Who is to say the Giants don't convert on 4th-and-5?

I'd pick the Asante Samuel almost-interception the play before. Let's say he picks that. Giants have only two timeouts and under 1:20 to go. Let's say the Pats play clockball and kneel on both 1st and 2nd down in which the Giants use their timeouts. Pats kneel on 3rd down and the clock burns off 40 seconds. Pats punt from around their own 35yd line with about 30 seconds left and no Giants timeouts, needing a touchdown drive of about 75 yards (unless they pull off a sick punt return).

I think the Giants have better odds of pulling off 4th-and-5 than a field-length drive with no timeouts.

Chicago ahead 3–0 and holding a 3 games to 2 lead in the best of seven series, several spectators attempted to catch a foul ball off the bat of Marlins' second baseman Luis Castillo. One of the fans, Steve Bartman, reached for the ball, deflecting it and disrupted a potential catch by Cubs outfielder Moisés Alou. If Alou had caught the ball it would have been the second out in the inning, and the Cubs would have been just four outs away from winning their first National League pennant since 1945. Instead, the Cubs ended up surrendering eight runs in the inning and shortly afterward lost the game, 8-3. When they were eliminated in the seventh game the next day, the "Steve Bartman incident" was seen as the "first domino" in the turning point of the series.[1]

Can the Cubs win the National League and then World Series ONCE in my lifetime?!?!?!!
This is the one for me. Waiting since 1972 . . .

Aaron Dobson's fourth down TD pass to Rakeem Cato is instead intercepted by T.Y. Hilton and returned for a touchdown, FIU covers the second-half spread, and I take my winnings and retire to a private island in the Caribbean, instead of having my arms and legs repeatedly broken by various bookies and mafia goons for the next four years.

Yes but, perfection, so close. Stuffing it to those Miami snobs. :hot: :hot: :hot:

Tyree happened on 3rd down. Who is to say the Giants don't convert on 4th-and-5?

I'd pick the Asante Samuel almost-interception the play before. Let's say he picks that. Giants have only two timeouts and under 1:20 to go. Let's say the Pats play clockball and kneel on both 1st and 2nd down in which the Giants use their timeouts. Pats kneel on 3rd down and the clock burns off 40 seconds. Pats punt from around their own 35yd line with about 30 seconds left and no Giants timeouts, needing a touchdown drive of about 75 yards (unless they pull off a sick punt return).

I think the Giants have better odds of pulling off 4th-and-5 than a field-length drive with no timeouts.
How many skin of their teeth Super Bowl wins do the Pats need? Be happy with what you've got.

F_ck...I was at that game. But at least it wasn't the conferrence championshipWe can add "The Shot" by Jordan and and Jose Mesa's bottom of the 9th in game 7 if we venture away from football...
Ugh. Forgot about the shot. Was going to post Jose Mesa getting an out with one of those pitches... cleveland sports.. :bag:

There is no way in a just world that Eli ends his career with more rings than his brother.

This just in: the world ain't fair

Jerry Rice fumble

Miracle shot at the buzzer goes in, Notre Dame beats Kentucky

The phantom foul call on Rumeal Robinson to close out the 1989 NCAA Tournament Championship game giving Michigan two free throws and a 80-79 OT victory.

:rant:

The phantom foul call on Rumeal Robinson to close out the 1989 NCAA Tournament Championship game giving Michigan two free throws and a 80-79 OT victory.

I have to disagree strongly here. If you change it, I'm going to have use my one change to put it back.

Aaron Dobson's fourth down TD pass to Rakeem Cato is instead intercepted by T.Y. Hilton and returned for a touchdown, FIU covers the second-half spread, and I take my winnings and retire to a private island in the Caribbean, instead of having my arms and legs repeatedly broken by various bookies and mafia goons for the next four years.
Please do not violate the sanctity of the Beef O'Brady's bowl, even if only hypothetically.

Mitch Williams throws something other than a fastball/beachball to Joe Carter.
like they wouldn't have lost game 7 anyway.
Can't recall who was due up for the Phillies in Game 7, but I gotta believe they would have run Schilling out there again on 2 days rest, likely in quick relief, after he dominated in Game 5. Of course their bullpen was trash so they still probably would have blown it in 8th/9th.

How many skin of their teeth Super Bowl wins do the Pats need? Be happy with what you've got.
no

Both of these are wrong. Its that choking dog Joe Table not being able to get two ####### outs in the 1997 World Series.I hope he's selling pencils on a street corner somewhere.

I have to disagree strongly here. If you change it, I'm going to have use my one change to put it back.
Maybe we can work something out. Can you at least let me have it for the rest of that night? It really changed the course of the party in the dorms that night.

I didn't have a dog in that fight, but I absolutely hated that the title game ended that way.

Of course, what I hated even more is that Illinois didn't play in that title game because Nick Anderson forgot to box out.

Users who are viewing this thread