What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Rap/Hip Hop Discussion Thread*** (2 Viewers)

Last edited by a moderator:
Killer Mike and El-P just released their first song from their "Run the Jewels 2" remix album called "Meow the Jewels," which uses nothing but cat sounds to compose the beats.

Run the Jewels - "Meowrly"

Here is an article that discusses the background and some details of the "Meow the Jewels" record, which is expected to be released in September.

I just can't stop laughing at how hilarious and ridiculous this entire project is. I love RTJ so much.
i actually funded this. really looking forward to this.

Drake released a Meek diss track. So far, Jay/Hov this is not.
Meek is supposed to drop one tomorrow. Could get interesting. I think the drake diss was more bait than anything. Looks like Meek took it. This could be fun. But definitely no Jay/Nas.
Drake's cadence, or lack thereof, is bizarre. No clue what people see in this guy but I'm an old fart I guess.
Im not a huge drake fan. But he can actually spit when we wants to. but usually he is trying to make hits over lyricism.

I saw Rakim perform at a small bar last night in Denver (max capacity 500). It was amazing to see the godfather of modern rap in such an intimate setting. He put on a great show. Here is a picture I took from my spot in the front row.

I'm 32 years old now, and I started listening to rap in 1994 back when I was in sixth grade. It was the golden age of rap with 2Pac, Biggie, Outkast, Nas, and Wu Tang being some of my early favorite rappers. Eric B & Rakim mostly preceded my time, and I never owned any of their albums growing up. It wasn't until my freshman year of college when Napster was in its prime that I downloaded the whole "Paid in Full" album. I always respected Rakim as one of the all-time greats, but I don't think I fully understood how revolutionary and groundbreaking he was because I lacked that historical perspective of the pre-Rakim rap era. It wasn't until I was prepping for this show that I started comparing Rakim's style to those of some his contemporaries (i.e., Run DMC, Beastie Boys, etc.) and seeing just how revolutionary his flow and rhyme schemes were at that time and how simplistic and elementary he made his peers' style seem by comparison. Rakim changed the game with "Paid in Full." All of my favorite rappers growing up stood on the shoulders of Rakim. I feel lucky that I had the chance to see one of the all-time greats that truly revolutionized a genre of music.

I saw Rakim perform at a small bar last night in Denver (max capacity 500). It was amazing to see the godfather of modern rap in such an intimate setting. He put on a great show. Here is a picture I took from my spot in the front row.

I'm 32 years old now, and I started listening to rap in 1994 back when I was in sixth grade. It was the golden age of rap with 2Pac, Biggie, Outkast, Nas, and Wu Tang being some of my early favorite rappers. Eric B & Rakim mostly preceded my time, and I never owned any of their albums growing up. It wasn't until my freshman year of college when Napster was in its prime that I downloaded the whole "Paid in Full" album. I always respected Rakim as one of the all-time greats, but I don't think I fully understood how revolutionary and groundbreaking he was because I lacked that historical perspective of the pre-Rakim rap era. It wasn't until I was prepping for this show that I started comparing Rakim's style to those of some his contemporaries (i.e., Run DMC, Beastie Boys, etc.) and seeing just how revolutionary his flow and rhyme schemes were at that time and how simplistic and elementary he made his peers' style seem by comparison. Rakim changed the game with "Paid in Full." All of my favorite rappers growing up stood on the shoulders of Rakim. I feel lucky that I had the chance to see one of the all-time greats that truly revolutionized a genre of music.
Nice. Ive only seem Ra once but it was a great show.

7pm on hot97 flex is supposed to drop the meek mill diss track..... :popcorn:
Dunno what this guy is doing. Drake put out a second one that's better than their first, but don't think we're reaching Hov/Nas levels.
Yea Meek is scared. Im almost embarrassed for him at this point.
I don't know if that's it, I think Meek's superior technically and could handle Drake fine from a "battle" standpoint, Drake's strengths obviously lie elsewhere. But just firing shots on Twitter and not releasing a song is pretty lame. Maybe he's still working on it? Maybe there's some sort of hip-hop A-list (that Drake and his chick belong to) that he doesn't want to upset? Who knows.

7pm on hot97 flex is supposed to drop the meek mill diss track..... :popcorn:
Dunno what this guy is doing. Drake put out a second one that's better than their first, but don't think we're reaching Hov/Nas levels.
Yea Meek is scared. Im almost embarrassed for him at this point.
I don't know if that's it, I think Meek's superior technically and could handle Drake fine from a "battle" standpoint, Drake's strengths obviously lie elsewhere. But just firing shots on Twitter and not releasing a song is pretty lame. Maybe he's still working on it? Maybe there's some sort of hip-hop A-list (that Drake and his chick belong to) that he doesn't want to upset? Who knows.
Whatever it is, he lost thus far. He is at the point were his career is on the line if he doesnt respond. also battling and making good diss records are two different things. Not sure how skilled Meek is at that. We will see though.

A guy I knew once described Rakim as "the first rapper that made you care what the rapper was actually saying". Rakim and a few others were definitely instrumental in ushering in the "new school".

yea this is trash. Drake is up 2-0. His back to back wasnt bad for a quick freestyle. Meek actually thought he went in on this and took his time. smdh
I don't think he freestyled that. I'm not saying he had somebody write it for him, but he's not coming up with that much off the top of his head.

Meek's all over the place, his diss opens up with him talking about some obscure rapper that Drake's affiliated with who is apparently a snitch. Which is pretty off-topic. You have so much material to work with re: Drake (that another man pissed on him and he didn't do anything is pretty rough), but he made a mess of a song. Which I guess is why Drake plays basketball arenas and Meek Mill...opens up for his gf who plays basketball arenas.

Can someone tell me the difference between Big Sean and Drake?
I don't like either, but I kind of understand how Drake is popular. Big Sean is a complete mystery to me.

Macklemore has a new song out that's him singing to his daughter. I know what you're thinking, but it's...yeah, actually it's ####### garbage. Not even going to provide a link, I hope your computer gets a virus if you try and look for it.

Big SEan has a few good tunes on my workout playlist. "Switch Up" is good IMO for working out.

I know nothing else about him.

I ask because I can't tell the difference between them when I hear them rapping.
I agree with Truck. Drake is tolerable at times. Big Sean's next nice verse will be the first that I've heard. Someone actually gave me a physical copy of what I believe is his most recent album(dark cover) and it almost got broken.

Ok WTF is a Fetty Wap and why do I hear it on the radio?

My 11 year old daughter asked me not to turn the station when its song came on this morning

Holy #### it was horrible! Is that what today’s rap is?

I have feel like I have failed as a father because my daughter likes that ####.

If that is what rap has “evolved” to I am ashamed that I ever liked it

A guy I knew once described Rakim as "the first rapper that made you care what the rapper was actually saying". Rakim and a few others were definitely instrumental in ushering in the "new school".
Was back in '88, but to this day was one of the best concerts of my life, headlined by Erik B & Rakim:

Biz Markie (was pretty mellow)

BDP (throwing condoms into the crowd)

Ice T (####ed up a cop car on stage)

Doug E Fresh (lots of strobe lights)

Kool Moe Dee (rollin' with a cowboy hat)

Erik B & Rakim (blew the show up!)

Those were the days...

My 11 year old daughter asked me not to turn the station when its song came on this morning

Holy #### it was horrible! Is that what todays rap is?

If that is what rap has evolved to I am ashamed that I ever liked it
Your daughter must be a young trap queen. You must be proud.

Holy #### it was horrible! Is that what todays rap is?

If that is what rap has evolved to I am ashamed that I ever liked it
Man, I tried to tell you guys earlier in the thread, STAY AWAY FROM THAT S###. This new wave of rap (Fetty/Future/Young Thug) will do nothing but make you question your personal tastes. It's unquestionably the single worst fad to ever develop from hip hop. These dbags make Lil B and SouljaBoy look like Nas.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread