What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Derrick Henry, BAL (6 Viewers)

I mean, it might be a blessing in disguise IF you have other options you're not sickened by. This game means NOTHING to Tennessee. Even if they win today, it doesn't mean anything for their shot at the playoffs. Only winning next week against Houston AND Pittsburgh losing 1 of 2 would get them in. This could easily be a preseason like feel with starters only playing a half.

Luckily only have Henry in my 3rd place game league. Rolling with Lewis with little thought. Prob would if it was the championship game too, but in 3rd place game, not much thought needed.

Another guy who was a monster for me all year and crushed me last week.

Terrible news to hear on championship weekend. He’s been my RB1 all year as my team is built more around WR.

Dion Lewis is owned and I don’t have great options between Latavius Murray and Jamaal Williams. The cupboard and the wire is bare.
It's kind you two are a combination of my consolation team. 3rd place still gets some prize. With Henry and Evans out, Watson having a poor outing yesterday, I'm pretty much toast. 

Go Greg Ward and Mike Boone!

Henry to the bench - we're sure he's not playing right? (I'm still in the stages of shock and denial).

Need to decide between Golladay and Chark in the flex.

I thought my lineup was going to be automatic for the ship. 

I mean, it might be a blessing in disguise IF you have other options you're not sickened by. This game means NOTHING to Tennessee. Even if they win today, it doesn't mean anything for their shot at the playoffs. Only winning next week against Houston AND Pittsburgh losing 1 of 2 would get them in. This could easily be a preseason like feel with starters only playing a half.
My league is 17 weeks, total points. This gives me hope for a solid week 17 return of Henry

I don't know of him injuring himself in practice. He participated in a walk through and an instructional (go over plays) session.

The Titans have only carried two backs all season despite them being a dime a dozen in today's NFL and that most teams have 3 or 4.

They had Fluellen on their team for a few years and he got injured this year. He's not ready to come off IR and is probably done with the team. Plan-wise, that was probably Henry's replacement. Dawkins is a little bugger that was signed a couple years back to be Dion's backup. He's unspecial, does a fine Dion impression, but can't pick up the blitz well so he always goes back to the PS. 

Blasingame was a big college RB, more like Henry than anyone. NFL types didn't feel he could be an NFL RB, so he signed with the Vikes as a FB. His first two games, he showed nice blocks and impressive hands. How Henry runs straight up but with a lean forward, this guy is totally straight up and sure to absorb many hits. Maybe he learned watching Henry, we haven't seen him run really in a year. 

Resting Henry seems stupid. There were articles earlier in the week if you wanna google. Like FF, you don't bench your studs in a playoff caliber game. The way Vrabel always makes "look at me" decisions is scary for this team's future. The Titans cut the top rated rookie OLB the last half of 2018 in order to promote Dawkins. 92 by PFF? He was awesome to close the season just like Evans was last year. This year, he keeps getting pulled for clear backup LBs and then back as a starter/play the most type. It's been infuriating but Vrabel has had 50 LB transactions on this team since he became coach. FIFTY!!! He's got a wicked character flaw evaluating LBs. Last week they switched Landry to Finch's side and he couldn't hack it against a LT. Left tackles are easily better than right tackles, so this was super predictable. Everyone had Finch back in the starting lineup this week with that experiment done. The cut was a downright shock. The college DE converted so nicely and has shown a holy wow number of moves. He's perfect for today's NFL that plays nickel most of the time.  Unless they have a sweetheart arrangement where he returns, I'd bet he is signed Monday by some other team and they're thrilled to get him. Finch and Landry were both allowed to miss much of camp due to what some call fictitious injuries. Gilbert was playing DE in Green Bay and about to get cut so they got him for a song. The Titans only have Correa who was active in camp. Vrabel will make your head spin with his LB decisions.  My favorite and yes I purposely saved this for last- Vrabel called Finch an excellent young player just the other day.

In game threads, since day one, there have been "look at me" moments from Vrabel every single week and you can go look to see what each was. Everyone in the thread was what the... when he did it. Waiving Finch seems like much of the same.  Who cuts a good young LB with zero complaints about personality, teamwork etc? 

I would bet $ Dawkins is not a big part of today and this was all Vrabel's ego.

They didn't plan to run a ton according to everyone. They'd never be able to keep up with the Saints without passing a lot and Tannehill had a quote about the game on his shoulders that everyone loved. Mularkey was stubborn with the run game and the Titans needed to have a RB backup where they could be-do what you do best.

This setup with Brown smothered by a top CB and leaning on Davis, Firkser, and Smith makes me want to puke. That Vrabel still thinks ol' Dion can get it done is mind-numbing. That people are saying Jonnu could be the back today with like 3 carries in his career is also disgusting.  Tannehill has been amazing, but don't forget he has yet to improve his turnover #s. 

I'm rooting for an OMG awesome gameplan by young Arthur Smith and hoping everyone has a career day today. 

The Titans have a ton of free agents and ...I hope Vrabel is let go and not part of what's supposed to be a quick rebuild. He won't be and will irritate me at least another year, but...a man can hope

Resting Simmons and Jackson shows the Titans looking at next game and not much concern for today. Shouldn't have cut Finch then

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Derrick Henry (hamstring) is expected to suit up in Week 17 against the Texans.

The Titans need a win to get in, so they smartly rested Henry in their Week 16 matchup against the Saints in an effort to give the Texans their best punch. Rapoport added that Henry's hamstring isn't any worse, meaning "he'll be as healthy as he's been in a long time." Expect the Titans to feed Henry all the work he can handle come Sunday.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Dec 23, 2019, 4:59 PM ET

Derrick Henry (hamstring) practiced on Tuesday.

It was a light session ahead of Sunday's must-win game against the Texans, but all signs continue to point toward Henry returning from his one-game absence. Henry almost certainly could have played against the Saints in Week 16, but the Titans held him out of a contest that did not affect their playoff chances. Henry will be an elite RB1 with everything on the line.

SOURCE: Jim Wyatt on Twitter

Dec 24, 2019, 4:04 PM ET

Derrick Henry (hamstring) confirmed he'll play Week 17 against the Texans.

"I'm definitely ready," said Henry, who resumed full practice Wednesday after sitting out the previous week against New Orleans. His return is welcome news for the Titans, who can clinch the AFC's final Wild Card berth with a victory Sunday in Houston. Henry rushed for 86 yards when he faced the Texans in Week 15.

SOURCE: Turron Davenport on Twitter

Dec 26, 2019, 1:14 PM ET

Assuming the chiefs beat the chargers in the early games, the Texans won't have anything to play for except pride. 

There's a really good chance Henry goes off big this week. Won't matter to most of his owners but it should be fun to watch as a fan. 

One would think most of the Texans starters are in the sideline early in the second half. (Presuming KC doesn't screw it up). The chiefs definitely should prefer to play Tennessee or Pittsburgh instead of the bills, and then the Patriots before the Ravens. 

I'm kind of surprised the chiefs are playing early, but that should work to the Titans advantage.

The Texans need to get healthy as best they can and I'd expect many of them to sit or play part of the game. 

The Titans won't ride Henry the whole game as indicated above. As long as they have a comfortable lead, they'll rest the big fella. You don't push a hammy.

The Titans have been long done with contact practices this year so there's not much evaluating to be done about a practice. Henry says he feels great and that's what we want to hear. 

O'Brien was asked if all his starters would play and he said he expects the players on the field to win. He's all but said they're resting guys all week long.

Watson's back has him grimacing. I wouldn't be surprised if he sits after one sack and spends the rest in the locker room. Standing with a hurt back can sometimes be uncomfy. I bet they get him in the locker room, lying down, getting some treatment for it

The safety with the achilles- they're crazy if he plays. Every burst could possibly tear it...he'lll be soaking that next to Watson

Henry wins the 2019 rushing title with 1539 rushing yards. He also had 16 rushing TDs.

I drafted him as a rookie in my dynasty and have hung on, always believing in his talent.  Happy to see him finally getting a chance to shine. The TN coaches criminally under used him his first two years in the league.  This guy is going to go down as one of the best because he has such a unique combination of size and speed.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap3000001093014/Can-t-Miss-Play-Derrick-Henry-captures-2019-rushing-title-on-53-yard-TD

Last edited by a moderator:
In the 20 games since Henry was made the bellcow last year, he has averaged 115.7 YPG and 1.3 TDs per game. That is now 15 of 20 games that he has scored a TD, scoring an impressive 26 times. 

But there are still people that don't like him.

In the 20 games since Henry was made the bellcow last year, he has averaged 115.7 YPG and 1.3 TDs per game. That is now 15 of 20 games that he has scored a TD, scoring an impressive 26 times. 

That's a good thing.

Derrick Henry rushed 30 times for 195 yards in Tennessee's Divisional Round upset over Baltimore.

Henry became the league’s first running back since the merger to rush for at least 180 yards in three consecutive games, simultaneously finishing as the first in NFL history to run for 175-plus in the same postseason. Baltimore corralled the 26-year-old to 56 yards on 11 carries in the first half but watched him gash their front-seven for a 66-yard dash up the gut in the third quarter before lining up in the Wildcat formation and Tebow’ing a three-yard touchdown pass to Corey Davis. With potentially two games to go, Henry currently sits just 233 yards shy of trumping John Riggins’ postseason record of 610 rushing yards in 1982. The Titans will either travel to Kansas City or Houston for next week’s AFC Conference Championship game.

Jan 11, 2020, 11:31 PM ET

Bump this to 16/21 games, 119.5 YPG, and make a mental note that by scoring one TD last night, he brought his TD rate *down*.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m so happy to see this...Henry ‘played no one’ when he broke the high school rushing records.  His SEC records and Heisman were ‘because of volume.’

Subtle vision, deceiving speed, on top of size rarely seen...he’s an elite talent and always has been.

Turns out, Earl Thomas also has no interest in tackling this man. 
Thomas is a player too. I've noticed things like this the last two years- well-known good players shying away from contact with him. 

I remember a Henry story when Eddie George was interviewing him, high school seniors and juniors would make up an illness rather than have to tackle him. Eddie said something about Jim Brown sharing a similar story at all levels.

Along those lines, what happens when these guys have to face him again? Out of their division, it's just one game. Take the awesome Jalen Ramsey. He got trucked big time and ever since, he only dives at Henry's legs and doesn't even try an honest tackle. He is so arrogant and yet he's shy about tackling him? It really makes me wonder what the future will be like and I can't help but compare him to Jim Brown. There have only been guys like Jacobs and Bam Morris. Okoye might have been but he got hurt. We've never really had a big big back last since Brown.

BTW Branden Williams made the tackle of the year on Henry yesterday, kudos to him. He hugged him and ran right through him. That was great

He is a unique talent and is in the perfect system finally.  I am proud that I believed in him from the beginning and now we are seeing what he can do.  I still find it funny how even until a week or two ago there were still doubters. 

Users who are viewing this thread