What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Leonard Fournette, FA (11 Viewers)

He'll get plenty of chances to play on Sunday. He's risking millions of dollars for nothing. He is a top ten pick right now if he never plays another down again. There is literally no upside to playing more for LSU. None.
You know these guys can get insurance, right? He probably isn't risking anything.I don't know if he has it, but I'd imagine so. Gurley did.
I knew they did but I wasn't aware that it was a huge policy.

LSU is paying for his college tuition plus room and board. That's something, right?
It's something, but not nearly enough IMO. I don't have a problem with the schools. The issue is with the NCAA. The system they run is ridiculous.

He should continue playing and show teams he's not a #####
Hmmm interesting. What does he get for that?
drafted. self respect. experience.
Drafted- LOL he's a top 10 pick now if he walks off the field and never plays college football again. So nope.

self respect - So in order to have self respect he should risk his health for nothing. lol nope

experience - yeah maybe a little but he's gifted. He's not going to lose it.
Top 10 pick if he sits out another nearly 2 years from the game?

Risk his health for nothing? No, risk his health, like all players, to become a millionaire.

And yes, lots of experience.
lol like I said for nothing

He'll get plenty of chances to play on Sunday. He's risking millions of dollars for nothing. He is a top ten pick right now if he never plays another down again. There is literally no upside to playing more for LSU. None.
You know these guys can get insurance, right? He probably isn't risking anything.I don't know if he has it, but I'd imagine so. Gurley did.
I'd imagine the policies vary a great deal. He should be calling his insurance agent right now and upping the payout. Not trying to weasel out of playing next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd imagine the policies vary a great deal.He should be calling his insurance agent right now and upping the payout. Not trying to weasel out of playing next year.
Yeah maybe 100 million+

LOL @ weasel out. It's absolutely in Fournette's best interests. The only way it wouldn't be is if he wasn't going to be a 1st round pick because he sat out. I have a hard time believing he would slip out of the 1st if he sat out.

I dont see how sitting nearly 2 years benefits him, or any elite athlete
NFL players kind of sit out 6 months a year in the offseason don't they? Julio Jones was hurt and sat out almost a year. Seems to have totally killed his talent. Am I right?

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont see how sitting nearly 2 years benefits him, or any elite athlete
NFL players kind of sit out 6 months a year in the offseason don't they? Julio Jones was hurt and sat out almost a year. Seems to have totally killed his talent. Am I right?
2 years. guy who hasn't played an NFL snap.
Last time I looked all college players haven't played a snap in the NFL until.......well until they start playing in the NFL. A. Cooper never played a snap in the NFL for 20+ years. He seems to have adjusted to level of play just fine.

Drafted- LOL he's a top 10 pick now if he walks off the field and never plays college football again. So nope.

self respect - So in order to have self respect he should risk his health for nothing. lol nope

Risk his health for nothing? No, risk his health, like all players, to become a millionaire.

You're assuming that NFL teams would look at a guy who gave up on competitive football to make sure that he could get paid as a Top 10 pick. That's uncertain.

Maurice Clarett tried something similar. He was not a Top 10 pick.

You're assuming that NFL teams would look at a guy who gave up on competitive football to make sure that he could get paid as a Top 10 pick. That's uncertain.

Pretty sure if he was passed on as a top-20 pick and available to teams who made the playoffs in 2016, he doesn't make it to the second round of the draft. Any playoff offense with a RB need would scoop him up I'd think.

Pretty sure if he was passed on as a top-20 pick and available to teams who made the playoffs in 2016, he doesn't make it to the second round of the draft. Any playoff offense with a RB need would scoop him up I'd think.
Maybe? Who knows?

This kid has to balance two uncertainties:

1) Will I get hurt?

vs.

2) If I give up on college football in order to make an NFL paycheck, would teams view that as a red flag?

People are way to hung up on this injury thing. The odds of him or anyone else having a career ending injury are remarkably remote. Look at Gurley last year. He had a pretty significant injury, missed a lot of time and still got picked 10.

People are way to hung up on this injury thing. The odds of him or anyone else having a career ending injury are remarkably remote. Look at Gurley last year. He had a pretty significant injury, missed a lot of time and still got picked 10.
He lost money with that injury and if he blows it out again his career is over. At least that's my understanding.

For what? I mean Gurley was a top 10 pick "after" blowing his knee out. So if he sat out that year instead you're saying teams would have passed on him because of principle? Pretty sure he would still be a 1st round pick.

Guy should disenroll right now. Make some sports training company take care of his bills while pimping their services until he becomes a top 10 pick and call the NFL on their bull #### bluff.

Easy solution here for Fournette...find someone who will pay him to sign a bunch of memorabilia, then leak evidence so the NCAA makes him sit out. Then no one questions his heart or will to play, and it likely hurts his draft stock very little, based on other players with amateurism violations in recent years.

On the other hand, maybe he enjoys football too much to want to walk away from it just to get a ridiculously large payday. (And if he isn't carrying a multimillion dollar insurance policy against his being unable to play in the NFL, I question his judgment...)

Milkman said:
jurb26 said:
He lost money with that injury and if he blows it out again his career is over. At least that's my understanding.

For what? I mean Gurley was a top 10 pick "after" blowing his knee out. So if he sat out that year instead you're saying teams would have passed on him because of principle? Pretty sure he would still be a 1st round pick.
Right. And the #10 overall pick gets paid more than some who gets drafted later in the 1st round.

It would seem that we all agree that it's possible that a RB who blows out his knee can get paid more than one who says he won't play so that he can get paid.

Arodin said:
Easy solution here for Fournette...find someone who will pay him to sign a bunch of memorabilia, then leak evidence so the NCAA makes him sit out. Then no one questions his heart or will to play, and it likely hurts his draft stock very little, based on other players with amateurism violations in recent years.

On the other hand, maybe he enjoys football too much to want to walk away from it just to get a ridiculously large payday. (And if he isn't carrying a multimillion dollar insurance policy against his being unable to play in the NFL, I question his judgment...)
Yes. The NCAA makes accommodations for this, I know.

Rotoworld:

LSU sophomore RB Leonard Fournette will be authorized to auction his jersey from Saturday's game for South Carolina flood victims.
In a touching moment, Fournette, who rushed for 158 yards and a touchdown on 20 carries in Saturday's 45-24 win over South Carolina, announced his intention to auction the jersey for charity while reading a prepared statement in a postgame interview. His family lived on a bridge for several days when Hurricane Katrina overtook New Orleans in 2005. "I want to send my prayers, condolences and empathy to the people of South Carolina," Fournette said. "What they are going through reminds me of what we went through, my people in New Orleans, Louisiana, went through 10 years ago with Hurricane Katrina. ... I would like to auction off my game jersey as is to the highest bidder to help out the relief efforts. People of Louisiana not only care, but know firsthand what you in South Carolina are going through." The NCAA later confirmed that he could. The Heisman favorite is a class act.

Source: ESPN
Oct 11 - 11:09 AM

I know he is listed at 6'1 230. But damn he looks bigger and seems to play bigger than that. Dude is a beast. Call me crazy but I think he goes in the top 3 easily.

I know he is listed at 6'1 230. But damn he looks bigger and seems to play bigger than that. Dude is a beast. Call me crazy but I think he goes in the top 3 easily.
No RB is going top 3 easily. He looks like a 1st rounder for sure. I'd guess around 15.

No RB is going top 3 easily.He looks like a 1st rounder for sure. I'd guess around 15.
If Gurley keep having his success and this kid keeps doing what he is doing he could easily go top 10, maybe top 5 depending on the team. I could a situation where maybe Russell Wilson gets hurt in a couple years and is out for the year, the Seahawks stink that year have a top 5 pick and that kid falls to them, or another team that has a really good defense and likes to run the ball.

He should play out the year. Win Heisman. Then immediately challenge to enter the draft. if he wins the Heisman the moment he lives school he will be a millionaire via an endorsement deal. A legal challenge only keeps him in the news. Good for his endorser.

He should play out the year. Win Heisman. Then immediately challenge to enter the draft. if he wins the Heisman the moment he lives school he will be a millionaire via an endorsement deal. A legal challenge only keeps him in the news. Good for his endorser.
Why challenge, so he can lose and sit out a year and lose money in the draft? It hasn't worked out to well for others that have tried it.

Challenging might be silly but not as silly as playing next year.
Yep, he would be a fool to play collegiality after this year. Damn you could make the case he should shut it down this year before something happens. Of the handful of games I have seen of him this year I cannot remember a running back that I can compare him to. He is a new breed, extremely big and extremely powerful. He is going top 5 for sure

Yeah there's no upside to playing one more snap really. NFL teams have enough tape on him. He just needs to explain himself which shouldn't be hard. Just hire some people to help.

:rolleyes: Every good RB should just quit their team right now. Elliot, Henry, Fournette, Chubb, oops too late on that one. He'll never be drafted now. While we're at it every player who might be a prospect should just shut it down mid season. It'll make drafting our fantasy teams so much easier.

:rolleyes: Every good RB should just quit their team right now. Elliot, Henry, Fournette, Chubb, oops too late on that one. He'll never be drafted now. While we're at it every player who might be a prospect should just shut it down mid season. It'll make drafting our fantasy teams so much easier.
This thread went right over your head didnt it?

No. Not really complicated. People think he's a top 5-10 draft pick so he'd be stupid to not quit right now. I disagree.

No. Not really complicated. People think he's a top 5-10 draft pick so he'd be stupid to not quit right now. I disagree.
Not quit. Protect himself because there is no reason to risk his health. He's a 1st round lock now.

Then you equated it every player and then on to fantasy.

Rotoworld:

LSU sophomore RB Leonard Fournette rushed for 150 yards and a touchdown on 26 carries in Saturday's 48-20 win over Western Kentucky.

Fournette's longest run went for 18 yards and he averaged 5.8 YPC. His lone touchdown on the evening came midway through the third quarter, when he plunged into the end zone from one yard out. The 6-foot-1, 230-pound sophomore's scored a touchdown in all seven of LSU's games this season. In addition to his 15 touchdowns, he's rushed for 1,363 yards. Saturday's 150-yard effort against Western Kentucky actually marked Fournette's lowest rushing total in a game this season. Frightening.

Oct 24 - 11:34 PM

Not quit. Protect himself because there is no reason to risk his health. He's a 1st round lock now.
So he should voluntarily stop playing right now, but not quit? There are lots of first round locks, should they stop playing immediately?

So he should voluntarily stop playing right now, but not quit? There are lots of first round locks, should they stop playing immediately?
I wouldn't blame any player for sitting out that has little to prove. I know a lot of you guys love your college football but that system is really terrible.

Not enough to cover their entire earning potential.

They should be able to make the choice if they play college football or pro football. Not be forced to be exploited in college football for next to nothing.

Not enough to cover their entire earning potential.

They should be able to make the choice if they play college football or pro football. Not be forced to be exploited in college football for next to nothing.
Nobody is forcing them to do anything.

Users who are viewing this thread