What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Leonard Fournette, FA (4 Viewers)

The Jags couldn't even get a 6th for him. 

And if you don't believe that, then I have a hard time trusting your player evaluation, because Ronald Jones > Leonard Fournette. 

That's also a false conclusion - if the Bucs do sign him, it doesn't = at the expense of RoJo.  There's a long hike from point A to point B in that logic trail. 
You'll change your mind on my player evaluation wants they start playing side by side. Until then respectfully disagree with your evaluation. 

Because he isn't as good as Ronald Jones, and the season starts in 8 days. He doesn't know the Bucs playbook, hasn't worked with the QB and why would get time ahead of the guys who do? 

Not like he's LT2 coming in with a HOF resume. It's Leonard Fournette, who's looked mostly like a guy with legs who got a lot of touches for most of his career. 

Why would you think he would be playing if he came in? 
Him not knowing the playbook is an issue, but it doesn't stop the Bucs (or any team) bringing him in and getting him quickly up to speed. RB isn't rocket science, especially given the Bucs have a 3rd down back in Dare already (McCoy will be the pass catcher but I'll be surprised if he can pick up the pass blocking scheme). 

The part I don't get is saying Fournette isn't as good as Ronald Jones. Fournette, who isn't anything special, has demonstrated an ability as a rusher, blocker, and receiver above RoJo. Hell, Rojo would've been cut his rookie year if he wasn't a 2nd round pick.

Yes, Ronald Jones can take a massive step forward and become a better RB than Fournette. It's possible. But Ronald Jones will all of a sudden need to learn to read holes, pass block, and catch the football. He's a really limited back with some elusiveness and speed. 

Because he isn't as good as Ronald Jones, and the season starts in 8 days. He doesn't know the Bucs playbook, hasn't worked with the QB and why would get time ahead of the guys who do? 

Not like he's LT2 coming in with a HOF resume. It's Leonard Fournette, who's looked mostly like a guy with legs who got a lot of touches for most of his career. 

Why would you think he would be playing if he came in? 
If they bring him in then their opinion of LF is different then yours.  Are you saying the Bucs would bring him in and not use him?

I dont think he is better but i also don't think fournettte would be fantasy relevant until week 3 at best in TB. 
Yea I agree with that completely.   We have never seen what Fournette could do in the NFL with a respectable passing game, let alone a respectable offense.... if he lands on the Bucs we can finally see what he can do when he doesn't have 8 or 9 men in the box every damn play.  Honestly, like I said I don't really like him, mainly because of his history of getting banged up, but if he gets into a situation like Tampa Bay that is "mouth watering" to see what his true potential really is.   

Yeah, Fournette played on a team with a questionable QB and mediocre WR's. 

Going to the Bucs, where defenses have to key on two elite WR's, two solid TE's and the greatest QB of all time is completely different. 

what sucks in my situation is someone dropped him in my league and waivers clear tomorrow morning..... no idea what a reasonable FAAB bid on this guy is right now... wish he had already signed with another team 

If they bring him in then their opinion of LF is different then yours.  Are you saying the Bucs would bring him in and not use him?
That’s a false conclusion. They could bring him in to replace Shady. They could bring him in to kick the tires & then release him. They could bring him in as a 3rd down back. 

if the Bucs bring in Fournette it could be mutually exclusive from Ronald Jones, who is currently their starter.

The part I don't get is saying Fournette isn't as good as Ronald Jones. Fournette, who isn't anything special, has demonstrated an ability as a rusher, blocker, and receiver above RoJo. Hell, Rojo would've been cut his rookie year if he wasn't a 2nd round pick.

Yes, Ronald Jones can take a massive step forward and become a better RB than Fournette. It's possible. But Ronald Jones will all of a sudden need to learn to read holes, pass block, and catch the football. He's a really limited back with some elusiveness and speed. 
apparently you didn’t watch Ronald Jones at all last year, or in college. Your description of him lacks accuracy. 

3 things strike me about the Fournette rumors of Pats & Bucks

1. neither the Pats not Bucs have issued any statement. They’re both “according to a source”.

2. The Jags couldn’t even get a 6th rounder for Fournette

3. not 1 NFL team places a waiver claim on him. If they had, he’d be on a team. 

3 things strike me about the Fournette rumors of Pats & Bucks

1. neither the Pats not Bucs have issued any statement. They’re both “according to a source”.

Because his salary is 4 mil if a team does either of those. Letting him pass through waivers means you can pay him 2-3 mil and not have to lose a waiver spot or a draft pick. Guys are almost never claimed on waivers. Don’t be so obtuse 

Just heard a discussion on LF and the Pats. The conversation settled on it would be a full blown RBBC in NE with all the backs on the roster getting used. The offense would go extra run heavy with lots of RB used for dump off passes. Basically lots of power sets and Edelman. But it was pretty uniform LF would have a much reduced role and a lot fewer touches. Not sure how appealing that would be to LF. 
LF needs volume.....limited touches for a battering ram like him would be a whole lotta 10 for 40 kinda lines.

That’s a false conclusion. They could bring him in to replace Shady. They could bring him in to kick the tires & then release him. They could bring him in as a 3rd down back. 

if the Bucs bring in Fournette it could be mutually exclusive from Ronald Jones, who is currently their starter.
Lol wat? They aren't bringing him in to be the teams 3rd down back.  

Lol wat? They aren't bringing him in to be the teams 3rd down back.  
Well it seems pretty unlikely they’d bring him in to replace RoJo when every report out of camp has been positive, so...

sounds like a bad fit.

:shrug:  

I’m not a Fournette owner for the same reason the Jags aren’t: He’s just not very good. 

Yeah, Fournette played on a team with a questionable QB and mediocre WR's. 

Going to the Bucs, where defenses have to key on two elite WR's, two solid TE's and the greatest QB of all time is completely different. 
I disagree with the assessment of the jags having mediocre wrs.  Each year they've always had a player or two who's stood out and they always seem to be drafting a wr in the top three rounds.  Their wrs aren't the best, but they haven't been bad considering who they've had at qb (which I would argue has been worse than questionable).

Well it seems pretty unlikely they’d bring him in to replace RoJo when every report out of camp has been positive, so...
Because off-season/preseason hype is always truth 

Every Seattle player is having a career year guys. Every report out of camp was positive 

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree with the assessment of the jags having mediocre wrs.  Each year they've always had a player or two who's stood out and they always seem to be drafting a wr in the top three rounds.  Their wrs aren't the best, but they haven't been bad considering who they've had at qb (which I would argue has been worse than questionable).
Other than Robinson, I believe they have been average. That's my opinion. Their passing game was rarely a threat. 

sounds like a bad fit.

:shrug:  

I’m not a Fournette owner for the same reason the Jags aren’t: He’s just not very good. 
Lol wat? Rojo was nearly cut his rookie year. Then he played well last year. Good job on him improving.. This narrative that he's obviously better than Fournette is bizarre though coming from you. It seems to me you are emotionally attached to RoJo. Agree all this could very easily be smoke. Totally agree with you on that but, and it's a big but, if they bring Fournette in on a team friendly deal you better believe they told him the job is his. He wouldn't sign on a team friendly deal if they didn't. If RoJo outplays him sure he'll be toast but they sign him that means they think he's better. I'm betting if Fournette lands there that's what happens too. Fournette is not playing 3rd downs. He's coming in to play 1st/2nd down and GL. 

Lol wat? Rojo was nearly cut his rookie year. Then he played well last year. Good job on him improving.. This narrative that he's obviously better than Fournette is bizarre though coming from you. It seems to me you are emotionally attached to RoJo. Agree all this could very easily be smoke. Totally agree with you on that but, and it's a big but, if they bring Fournette in on a team friendly deal you better believe they told him the job is his. He wouldn't sign on a team friendly deal if they didn't. If RoJo outplays him sure he'll be toast but they sign him that means they think he's better. I'm betting if Fournette lands there that's what happens too. Fournette is not playing 3rd downs. He's coming in to play 1st/2nd down and GL. 
Last year it was Montgomery and Michel. It’s RoJo this year. 

Other than Robinson, I believe they have been average. That's my opinion. Their passing game was rarely a threat. 
Chark was a monster last year.  Westbrook has two seasons of 66 receptions in a row. Cole went 42/748 his rookie year. Conley went 47/775 last year.

Not world beaters but at least two fantasy worthy options out of that group each year.

Ronald Jones looked excellent for large swaths of 2019. It’s why he’s the starter right now & the Bucs didn’t bring anyone in already. 

Fournette is a questionable talent who was just released by his team 8 days before the season & described as having a bad attitude. 

We have our opinions. We’ll agree to disagree & see what happens. 

if I’m wrong I’ll eat crow. There ya go. 

Chark was a monster last year.  Westbrook has two seasons of 66 receptions in a row. Cole went 42/748 his rookie year. Conley went 47/775 last year.

Not world beaters but at least two fantasy worthy options out of that group each year.
Chark was good but let's just say the passing game wasn't good enough to get defenses to play them honest. Defenses always keyed in on Fournette all 3 years he played there. Situation is a big deal too. 

Defenses always keyed in on Fournette all 3 years he played there. Situation is a big deal too. 
lol wut

it’s easy for defenses to key in on Fournette when he runs right into 3-4 of them every time he touches the ball. 

Chark was good but let's just say the passing game wasn't good enough to get defenses to play them honest. Defenses always keyed in on Fournette all 3 years he played there. Situation is a big deal too. 
They had a rookie at qb for most of the year as well (was minsew 6th round? I forget) so defenses were keying in on him.  I don't think you can say they were focusing all of their attention on Fournette when that was happening.  Putting pressure on Bortles was also another way to make sure he threw an errant pass, the guy is terrible under pressure, so more pass blitzes during his seasons.

The jags fed Fournette, but that doesn't mean they didn't have talent at wr.

And then you made a “false equivalence” to Ramsey. a logical fallacy 

= logic fail. 
um so Fournette having off field troubles had nothing to do with it? 

You're right let's just agree to disagree. You are literally doing what you're accusing me of doing lolol. 

You're right let's just agree to disagree. You are literally doing what you're accusing me of doing lolol. 
The difference between these two examples is the jags got a first for Ramsey and nobody would even give up a conditional pick for Fournette.

They had a rookie at qb for most of the year as well (was minsew 6th round? I forget) so defenses were keying in on him.  I don't think you can say they were focusing all of their attention on Fournette when that was happening.  Putting pressure on Bortles was also another way to make sure he threw an errant pass, the guy is terrible under pressure, so more pass blitzes during his seasons.

The jags fed Fournette, but that doesn't mean they didn't have talent at wr.
Sorry man. Just look into stacked boxes or how teams defended the Jags. Fournette was literally never in a good situation. I don't know what to tell you if you think teams wanted to try and stop Bortles. Yikes. He was maybe the worst starting QB in the history of the NFL. You want that throwing as much as possible if you're a defense. 

Sorry man. Just look into stacked boxes or how teams defended the Jags. Fournette was literally never in a good situation. I don't know what to tell you if you think teams wanted to try and stop Bortles. Yikes. He was maybe the worst starting QB in the history of the NFL. 
Don't get me wrong, Bortles is awful.  My 80 year old grandmother is better than her, and I've already said she's a wr not a qb.  But you still need to get someone in the qbs face.

Fournette is a step above Trent Richardson when it comes to vision. But like TRich his draft pedigree will afford him multiple opportunities going forward. 

Time will tell if a team bring him in. It’s silly to debate what it means for the incumbent on a team that’s not actually brought him in yet. 

let’s see if he signs somewhere, then we can have a thoughtful chat about whether he’s better than the existing guy.

I’m surprised the Bears haven’t come up in discussions since they actually do need a RB right now. 

Don't get me wrong, Bortles is awful.  My 80 year old grandmother is better than her, and I've already said she's a wr not a qb.  But you still need to get someone in the qbs face.
I edited my comment late but no you're not worried about that. You want that type of QB throwing a lot. 

Users who are viewing this thread