What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Official Kicker (K) Thread (4 Viewers)

Unsigned 49ers franchise player Robbie Gould will not attend mandatory minicamp.

37-year-old Gould would make $4.971 million under his one-year tender, but he is adamant in his pursuit of a multi-year pact. The 49ers have given zero indication they plan to budge. The sides have until July 15 to come to some kind of long-term accord.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Jun 10, 2019, 2:05 PM ET

Bears' minicamp kicking competition off to a bad start

Excerpt:

The minicamp phase of the Chicago Bears' kicking competition got off to a poor start, and one of the contestants is already out. 

The team announced Wednesday that they waived Chris Blewitt, one of the three kickers in minicamp competing for the job. 

During Tuesday's session all three kickers -- Blewitt, Eddy Pineiro, Elliott Fry -- missed kicks from 40-plus yards, back-to-back-to-back.

"Whatever went through your mind went through my mind," Nagy said after practice, via the Chicago Tribune.
You could say they cut Chris because when the pressure was on that he blew it.

( •_•) ( •_•)>⌐□-□

Chiefs signed K Harrison Butker to a five-year contract.

Per NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, the deal is worth "roughly" $20 million. Butker had been set to play on his exclusive rights free agent tag. Plucked off the Panthers' practice squad in Sept. 2017, Butker has made 90 percent of his field-goal attempts for the Chiefs. He has also drained 6-of-9 attempts from 50-plus yards.

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Jun 13, 2019, 3:14 PM ET

Seven Takeaways From Seahawks Coach Pete Carroll On The Final Day Of 2019 Minicamp

Excerpt:

Carroll is very excited about kicker Jason Myers.

Carroll opened his press conference in a somewhat unusual manner, enthusiastically saying, “let’s talk kickers.” Carroll had just watched Jason Myers make another “game-winner” to end practice, continuing what has been a nearly perfect offseason of kicks for Myers, a 2018 Pro-Bowler who the Seahawks signed in free agency.

“Both of our opportunities to end these sessions have come down to a tie last play, last-second kick, which just highlighted the consistency that Jason Myers showed for us,” Carroll said. “He did a great job throughout this offseason. We’re really fortunate to have him. The consistency was really there and the leg power and all that, working together with Michael (Dickson) and Tyler Ott. Those guys did a great job. So that move that we made to get him, I think is going to work out great for us and it’s going to give us the confidence to utilize the kicker like you’d hope to in crucial situations, long balls when we’ve got to go for it. We’re going to be playing with a lot of confidence in that regard. He did a great job. So I’m really happy that—and to have Michael too, we love what Mike can do. So I really feel good about that part of the kicking game. And it just kind of just jumped out at me that here we go again. And I gave him three chances here at the end and he hit them all, again, as he did in the last camp too. So just good stuff.”

Unsigned 49ers franchise player Robbie Gould said his "family is what’s going to dictate the decisions that I make."

Gould is at his house in Chicago training and spending time with his family. His contract situation remains unsolved with both sides staying put. In a perfect world, Gould would be kicking for the Bears, but the 49ers haven't been willing to trade him. The parties have until July 15 to come to an agreement.

SOURCE: NBC Sports

Jun 25, 2019, 6:24 PM ET

Robbie Gould on future with 49ers: It's complicated

Last edited by a moderator:
49ers signed K Robbie Gould to a two-year, $10.5 million contract.

Gould was scheduled to make almost $5 million under the franchise tag, so this valuation makes sense. According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the two-year contract is fully guaranteed, and it can become a four-year, $19 million deal if an option is executed. Seemingly looking to return to Chicago, Gould was not happy with the tag and even demanded a trade in the spring, but the 49ers never wavered about keeping him around and surprisingly got him to agree to a long-term contract on deadline day. Gould has connected on 96 percent of his field goal attempts since joining the 49ers in 2017.

Jul 15, 2019, 7:48 AM ET

NFL Contracts are confusing.....

"Via multiple reports, Gould will receive $10.5 million fully guaranteed at signing, on a two-year deal with a team-held two-year option.

That’s where it gets interesting. The 49ers must decide by late in the 2020 season whether to pick up the final two years of the deal. If they choose to keep Gould at that point, another $2.25 million becomes fully guaranteed, with another $2.25 million fully guaranteed as of April 1, per Adam Schefter of ESPN.com."

So it's a $10.5M "fully guaranteed"..... but SF decides if they want to pay half of the "fully guaranteed" 2020 portion of the contract at the end of the season, and then on April 1st they decide whether or not to pay the 2nd half of the "fully guaranteed" contract? Am I the only one questioning if everyone is using the same definition of the words "fully" and "guaranteed"?

If SF was willing to pay Gould $5mil 2019, and now the team has the option of paying him $5mil in 2020... not only didn't they give up anything but now Gould will get less $ than he would have if SF would have franchise tagged him again(or he would have gotten his freedom like he wanted). If you are a K in your late 30's threatening a holdout may be a bad idea. Cash that $5mil and feel lucky you are making more than 90+% of the RB's in the NFL that get their brains beat in play after play. Eeeeesh. Does he have an agent or did he come up with this hair-brained scheme to hold the 49ers feet to the fire on his own?

Not just a kicker in the 5th, but first non defensive player they took, odd pick.   87-of-88 on Point Afters, so he has that going for him I guess.
Strange. But they got OBJ and Hunt for their offense, so they restocked for sure. 

Point afters deserve the "I guess" qualifier. In college, should be a massive given to be a 5th rounder.  

Matthew Wright has been alternating field goal attempts with Chris Boswell at Steelers training camp.

As noted by beat reporter Mark Kaboly of The Athletic, this is a departure from past training camps where most of the reps would go to the incumbent starter. This would seem to imply the Steelers see Wright as legit competition for Boswell, who saw his confidence shaken during a lackluster 2018 campaign. An undrafted rookie out of Central Florida, Wright converted 12 of his 14 attempts (85.7 percent) for the Knights last year with a long of 46 yards.

RELATED: 

Chris Boswell

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jul 28, 2019, 9:47 AM ET

Do you think Gay has a chance at being roster worthy in a 12 man that rewards long kicks?

Think Gay is worth anything in a 12 teamer that rewards 4 pts for 40+ 5 for 50+ 6 for 60+ etc? (we do get -1 for misses) @Faust

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of digging the Chargers 2nd year K. 15/16 last year (think they signed him around Week 6) including a 59 yarder.

Rankings on K are always a bit of a crapshoot but guys who folks might pay a “premium” for (e.g., before the 16th round):

Zuerlein

Tucker

Butker

Lutz

Gostkowski

Fairbairn

So if you wanna Tier those guys or put them in a different order, fine but that’s my “probably won’t draft them because they’ll be off the board.”

A lot of people are going to draft Veteran kickers they’re comfortable with or have owned in the past. So semi-productive vets would be:

Gould, Vinateri, Crosby 

Youngish guys who have had big FF years recently:

Elliott, Maher, Myers

Young guys UTR who are really good:

Badgley, Rosas (harder to trust he’ll have a lot of FGA)

Vets I like the situation/defense/home field:

Bailey, Prater

OK, that’s already too long of a post on kickers.

:lol:

Shawn said:
Think Gay is worth anything in a 12 teamer that rewards 4 pts for 40+ 5 for 50+ 6 for 60+ etc? (we do get -1 for misses) @Faust
@Shawn - Matt Gay certainly has potential but rookie kickers always make me a little nervous.

Rookie kicker Matt Gay displays powerful leg in training camp debut

The upside to picking Gay right now is that at his current ADP you are selecting him as one of the last kickers picked  - giving him a great chance of outperforming his ADP.

Phil Dawson has announced his retirement from the NFL after 20 seasons.

An inaugural member of the revived Browns in 1999, Dawson is signing a one-day contract to retire in the Dawg Pound. Dawson spent 1999-2012 in Cleveland. Sojourns in San Francisco and Arizona followed. The retirement writing was on the wall for the 44-year-old after he missed six games with a hip issue last year. Despite his long, excellent career, Dawson will not be one of the rare special teamers to bust into the Hall-of-Fame.

Aug 1, 2019, 2:42 PM ET

Bears notebook: Kickers Fry, Pineiro hit bump in the road

BOURBONNAIS — Elliott Fry and Eddy Pineiro had a chance to take a step forward in the kicking derby, but neither did Monday. 

Pineiro, arguably the leader after making 12-of-12 field goal attempts at Soldier Field at Family Fest on Saturday, made 6-of-9 attempts at practice Monday, missing from 39, 44 and 53 yards. Fry made 7-of-9 attempts, missing from 45 and 43. Both players had at least one bad miss. 

The competition is close to even, with the preseason opener Thursday against the Panthers at Soldier Field. Fry has made 41-of-49 field goal attempts (83.7 percent). Pineiro has made 39-of-46 (84.8 percent). Neither kicker has missed consecutive attempts. 

“They know they’ve got to be better,” coach Matt Nagy said. “[Monday] wasn’t their day. But how do you respond the next time? That’s all.” 

After alternating kicking days last week, Fry and Pineiro both will kick again Wednesday and — opportunity pending — in the preseason opener Thursday.

Kind of digging the Chargers 2nd year K. 15/16 last year (think they signed him around Week 6) including a 59 yarder.
Caleb Sturgis stunk it up with 6 EP misses in 15 attempts in the first 6 games.  He also missed 4 of 13 FG attempts.  Mike Badgley was a breath of fresh air for my Chargers from week 7 on.  His only missed FG was a 52 yarder at Heinz Field (14 yr vet Jay Feely called it the hardest stadium to kick in).  He also converted 27 of 28 EP's.  He will be my one "homer pick" in my main redraft this year. 

Maybe I should offer a bottle of hot sauce to the person who correctly predicts the week HSG holds his 1st contest.  (tiebreaker:  pick the winner of that contest, closest alphabetically wins.)

😛

A knee injury kept Adam Vinatieri out of Thursday's exhibition opener against the Bills.

Undrafted North Texas product Cole Hedlund spelled Vinatieri on Thursday night, converting all three of his field goal tries with a long of 44 yards in the loss to Buffalo. Coach Frank Reich doesn't see Vinatieri's knee issue as a "serious concern," though given his advanced age (46), the Colts will likely err on the side of caution. The 23-year vet remained highly effective last season, finding the upright on 23-of-27 attempts (85.2 percent) including 4-of-6 from long range (50-plus yards).

SOURCE: George Bremer on Twitter

Aug 9, 2019, 3:01 PM ET

This is interesting. About the aforementioned Baltimore backup. I had no idea about this: 

Vedvik too is unproven outside of preseason action. Last year he seemed to be on pace to land a roster spot somewhere but was assaulted in Baltimore and was hospitalized last September.

Free agent K Blair Walsh worked out for the Jets.

The Jets are reportedly concerned with Chandler Catanzaro’s shaky preseason debut. Walsh was out of the league last year and converted just 72.4 percent of his field goal attempts in 2017. The Jets also visited with free agent Chris Blewitt.

RELATED: 

New York Jets

SOURCE: New York Daily News

Aug 10, 2019, 1:10 PM ET

Free agent K Blair Walsh worked out for the Jets.

The Jets are reportedly concerned with Chandler Catanzaro’s shaky preseason debut. Walsh was out of the league last year and converted just 72.4 percent of his field goal attempts in 2017. The Jets also visited with free agent Chris Blewitt.

RELATED: 

New York Jets

SOURCE: New York Daily News

Aug 10, 2019, 1:10 PM ET
Such an unfortunate name for a kicker.

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, at least four teams have injured about trading for Ravens K Kaare Vedvik.

Vedvik looked unstoppable in Thursday's preseason opener, converting all four field goals and both of his extra-point attempts with a long of 55 yards. Per Schefter, two of the teams showing interest hail from the AFC North. While no trade is imminent, Schefter confirmed the kicker will be dealt "at some point this summer." He could be a fit for the Jets, who are looking to fill their kicker need following Chandler Catanzaro's surprise retirement. Currently on a Hall of Fame trajectory, Justin Tucker remains the Ravens' long-term kicker.

Aug 11, 2019, 11:06 AM ET

I don’t think any good ones out there. I will do. Our league is 14 teams where you start 11 guys and up to 3 PK as very flexible lineups. Score nicely. Least valued O position but we have 49 PK on roster and I like to keep up as they have importance as 9-10-11 starter for many teams

Lets do a breakdown

The easy 5. Looking for PK with nice legs, good O and secure job. This will all be personal preference but see these guys as easy owns

• Justin Tucker
  • Stephen Gostkowski
  • Greg Zuerlien
  • Will Lutz
  • Harrison Butker
Tier 2 is just a step behind but should be secure for job also but wontguarantee due to location(weather or team ineptness) or experience

• Jake Elliott
  • Kaimi Fairborn
  • Josh Lambo
  • Matt  Prater
  • Jason Myers
  • Robbie Gould
  • Mike Badgely
  • Brandon McManus
The rest

1. Kaare Vedvik. I really like but how will he do in new location. Bailey still there but as of today. I would probably draft top 10 with big leg and indoor location
  2. Mason Crosby. Still in fight with Sam Ficken but I see this as more incentive. If cut, he would quickly get job. Good O but crappy late season weather
  3. Giorgio Tavecchieo. Great location and offence to kick in but he has been around the block. One misstep and replaced but as of now is the 2019 PK
  4. Elliott Fry. Great O to kick in but no location and the noose is tight. Still ahead of Eddie Pinero and whispers of one of the 4 teams in on Vedvik. Very fluid situation which makes it tough
  5. Daniel Carlson. Already lost a job and how will O be. But seems to be coming on and got by the rookie blues
  6. Chris Boswell. Great O, mediocre location. He has had struggles in the past. Heinz Field not easy. Matt Wright still there but Boswell in the lead and experience looks to win out
  7. Brett Maher. Good O with Zek. Good D. Great location. He has been very inconsistent and another scary guy with all the Vedviks out there. Leg not issue or kicking long FGs but those shorter ones not up to standard. Issue is they could replace
  8. Aldrick Rosas. No competition but average O and crappy location. But no worries of losing job. He could be in tier above but the team lets him down
  9. Graham Gano. Good location, Good O team and lots of experience but still not recovered from injury a year ago and thus big pause. Plus Joey Slye has looked pretty good. 
  10. Adam Vinateri. Like Gano but extremely old. Also fighting injury and Cole Helund has looked pretty good also
  11. Greg Rodgers or is it Austin Seifert. Nice O. Both started off terrible but have gotten better. Rodgers winning slightly but invested in Seifert but have done so in the past. Both scare mr overall. 
  12. Matt Gay. Good O and location but crappy D which leads to team garbage points but not for PK. Battling Cairo Santos but has looked good and did draft. 
  13. Zane Gonzalez. Young guy who has been cut before and on another chance. How does Kingsbury O go
  14. Ryan Succop. Good PK with solid job on an average team. 
  15. Jason Sanders. Looks safe with good location but most thinking this team in running for first overall. 
  16. Steve Hauschka. Veteran who is on above avg O but crappy location. Has struggled a little in camp and last few years
  17. Dustin Hopkins. Good PK but team leaves him down low. Still solid to have job if playing in Anatchy. 
  18. Randy Bullock. Bad O, Average location. He looks to be good to start as not reading anything much about Tristian Vicano his competition 
  19. Taylor Bertolet. Avg O, not good location. He has not kicked their yet. If in 16 team league that starts 2 PK, than holding breath with this guy

Here are my kicker job security estimates, on something like a probability scale (1.00 = guaranteed to keep their team's starting job this year, 0.00 = guaranteed to lose it). I posted something similar in 2017, 2016, and 2014.

0.99    Greg Zuerlein     LAR
0.99    Harrison Butker     KC
0.99    Wil Lutz     NO
0.99    Ka'imi Fairbairn     HOU
0.99    Justin Tucker     BAL
0.99    Josh Lambo     JAX
0.97    Stephen Gostkowski     NE
0.97    Jason Myers     SEA
0.97    Robbie Gould     SF
0.97    Matt Prater     DET
0.97    Aldrick Rosas     NYG
0.96    Mike Badgley     LAC