What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone here built your own Golden Tee machine? (1 Viewer)

Hoh

Eater of cereal
Just wondering. I have lots of questions. Probably very basic questions that I should already know the answer to, and thus google hasn't been my friend.

I did do this about 5 years ago. Golden Tee is the best video game of all time imo.

Hardest part was building the cabinet out of MDF, but it came out pretty nice. Then it was just a matter of sourcing all the materials -- the guts are similar to basic PC builds which I've done many times, and then you just need the controls, video screen, etc.

Took about 8 months, but in the end it was an exercise in frustration as I blew about $1200 and never could get the ####### thing to work. One night I was drinking a lot and couldn't deal with it anymore and smashed it into a million pieces in the garage, then tried to set it on fire. That ended up being one of the final straws in my marriage, but my new wife is better so it worked out well in the end.

LOL..Good stuff. It's the guts that I'm fuzzy on. Shame on me. I am about to get a new laptop and my old one (circa 2011, Win7) should be capable of running just about anything I would think. So I'd like to repurpose it for something cool (family friendly, I should add ;-) ). Did you buy the GT board from IT, did you somehow MAME/ROM it? I'm also fuzzy on how the controls (trackball, buttons, etc) interface to the brains. I'm going to check out the link above, and also maybe get a book from the library.

Congrats on the new wife.

I did do this about 5 years ago. Golden Tee is the best video game of all time imo.

Hardest part was building the cabinet out of MDF, but it came out pretty nice. Then it was just a matter of sourcing all the materials -- the guts are similar to basic PC builds which I've done many times, and then you just need the controls, video screen, etc.

Took about 8 months, but in the end it was an exercise in frustration as I blew about $1200 and never could get the ####### thing to work. One night I was drinking a lot and couldn't deal with it anymore and smashed it into a million pieces in the garage, then tried to set it on fire. That ended up being one of the final straws in my marriage, but my new wife is better so it worked out well in the end.
:lmao:

Now I'm going to have to try to build a golden tee machine.

I bought an old home version used for $100 a few years ago. Full cabinet, but the screen is smaller. Works pretty good. I don't know if they still make them.

McGarnicle said:

:lmao: i love this place.

Hoh said:
rick6668 said:
Start here:

http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm

These guys build/restore everything. It's where I got my info when building my MAME machine.
What MAME did you go with, if I may ask?
It's old. Once it was working I never upgraded it. It runs the DOS version and the PC it's running on is over 15 years old running windows 98.

I only care about running the classics.
I hear you. This has come about because my JAXX Plug-n-Play with Galaga on it gave up the ghost because the pushbutton microswitch broke. I figure with minimal effort I can cannibalize the guts, and build a small console with arcade quality buttons. That would give my Galaga/MsPacMan?Pole Position fix. Then I started pondering what else I might like to play, and now its spiraling out of control. :-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so now you've got me wanting a combo game cabinet. I see one on craigslist near me for $800. To me, assuming the machine is in good shape, this price seems pretty reasonable. Worth buying something like this vs building. Assume for the moment that I'm not super handy.

McGarnicle said:

:lmao: i love this place.

Ok, so now you've got me wanting a combo game cabinet. I see one on craigslist near me for $800. To me, assuming the machine is in good shape, this price seems pretty reasonable. Worth buying something like this vs building. Assume for the moment that I'm not super handy.
Probably right but it's a pride thing.

McGarnicle said:

:lmao: so glad I clicked on this random thread. The best gems are always hidden.

McGarnicle said:

I really had no idea what "Golden Tee" was. Thought it may have been a euphemism for something so decided to click on the thread.

Would have been completely disappointed had it not been for this post. :)

rick6668 said:
Start here:

http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm

These guys build/restore everything. It's where I got my info when building my MAME machine.
I hope they're better at building games then they are websites. Holy christ.

Yeah, it hasn't had an overhaul in forever. It looks the same as it did 15 years ago. Might be on purpose as these guys are really into restoring games to their original condition.

Link? I'd love to take a look.

It takes a ton of time, which I no longer have, I wouldn't fault anyone for going this route.

I bought a second one 2 years ago which was partially finished, but the wife said it had to go.

Got two machines built and ready to go but they haven't made it out of my garage yet. Very simple but time consuming.

It takes a ton of time, which I no longer have, I wouldn't fault anyone for going this route.

I bought a second one 2 years ago which was partially finished, but the wife said it had to go.
The guy will take $700 if I pay cash tonight, so I'll be going up to take a look at it. If I buy it, I'll post some pics tonight or tomorrow.

The guy will take $700 if I pay cash tonight, so I'll be going up to take a look at it. If I buy it, I'll post some pics tonight or tomorrow.
FYI, i bought two old stand up arcades for $250 total. Wish I had just built.

Good luck.

McGarnicle said:

Awesome story. I love it!

:thumbup:

McGarnicle said:

It was a metaphor for your marriage.

Could have bought an entire arcade full of them for the money me and my buddies spent on that damned game at the bar during the early 2000s. #### that game.

Got two machines built and ready to go but they haven't made it out of my garage yet. Very simple but time consuming.
Pics?
They are nowhere near done. Computer hooked up to the controls and working but the cabinet is beat up and ugly. I just have a monitor sitting in there at the moment, nothing mounted. Was just starting to work on getting it pretty then a kid and a bunch of renovations came up. Had I built it myself instead of trying to repurpose an old junky cabinet, it would have been much easier.

sometimes after a couple of beers i tell my friends that i built a golden pee machine and then i go to the restroom it is sort of a little joke i do take that to the bank brourinals

What's the interface between controls and PC look like?
https://www.ultimarc.com/jpac.htmlThat's the site I bought my stuff through.
Yep, got the ipac I think from them to do my pinball machine. All the old analog buttons and switches work just fine
What pinball you got?
Virtual pinball machine. Took an old empty cabinet, put a 46 inch tv flat inside under the glass, built a pc underneath, and wired in the buttons. Right now it plays 108 tables. Edit: Like this: https://youtu.be/F_ILihnUCMc, the screen fills the entire area under the glass, I got a 70s widebody pinball so it would fit.

I even kept in the tilt sensor and wired that into the computer so you can hit the machine and jiggle the ball around.
Sweet!

I built a MAME arcade cabinet a few years ago that plays 500+ arcade games and I also loaded pretty much the entire NES game library into it. My next project will be a virtual pinball table at some point.

Walking Boot said:
Officer Pete Malloy said:
Walking Boot said:
Cliff Clavin said:
Hoh said:
Yep, got the ipac I think from them to do my pinball machine. All the old analog buttons and switches work just fine
What pinball you got?
Virtual pinball machine. Took an old empty cabinet, put a 46 inch tv flat inside under the glass, built a pc underneath, and wired in the buttons. Right now it plays 108 tables. Edit: Like this: https://youtu.be/F_ILihnUCMc, the screen fills the entire area under the glass, I got a 70s widebody pinball so it would fit.

I even kept in the tilt sensor and wired that into the computer so you can hit the machine and jiggle the ball around.
Holy crap I want that so bad.

Walking Boot said:
Officer Pete Malloy said:
Walking Boot said:
Cliff Clavin said:
Hoh said:
What pinball you got?
Virtual pinball machine. Took an old empty cabinet, put a 46 inch tv flat inside under the glass, built a pc underneath, and wired in the buttons. Right now it plays 108 tables.Edit: Like this: https://youtu.be/F_ILihnUCMc, the screen fills the entire area under the glass, I got a 70s widebody pinball so it would fit.

The search function is still FUBAR but did we discuss the Pinball Arcade app?

McGarnicle said:

Users who are viewing this thread