What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (4 Viewers)

Just out of curiosity, what should we be expecting this "top coach" to accomplish with this franchise that, say, three of the all time winning-est coaches couldn't accomplish?
Realistically? Not much more than we’ve seen. Putting aside we are taking about a team owned by Dan Snyder, I’d say my expectation in changing coaches (or anything else) is simply improvement. 

My main point is just that I don’t think Jay has done anything to deserve to be fired at the moment. But, if you know someone better is available, I’d be ok with making the move. I don’t know if anyone better is currently available. 

Here are the Washington Redskins home and away opponents for 2018 --

Home: Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles, Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers, Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts, Green Bay Packers.

Away: Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans, Arizona Cardinals

"Gruden noted both that Cousins played well and that he didn’t play enough to elevate the whole team during a challenging season."
Fair assessment.  And if this is what his biggest supporter in the org thinks, then KC is not getting franchise money from the Redskins.  It really is best for him to go somewhere like Denver where he won’t have to elevate the team.  

Fair assessment.  And if this is what his biggest supporter in the org thinks, then KC is not getting franchise money from the Redskins.  It really is best for him to go somewhere like Denver where he won’t have to elevate the team.  
Yeah, it is. He'll never carry a team, and carrying a team at least some of the time is a requirement for the kind of money he wants here.

Of course, Denver's not rolling in cap money, so that may not be an option. Houston looked like an option for a bit but then Watson came on like gangbusters. SF looked like an option but Garoppolo came on like gangbusters. He may have to settle for "whoever will pay him". And the Browns are rolling in cap money.

Funny how these other teams keep coming up with young QB's who are good, while Redskin fans say by rote "what are we gonna do, take a shot on some rookie?"

Yeah, it is. He'll never carry a team, and carrying a team at least some of the time is a requirement for the kind of money he wants here.

Of course, Denver's not rolling in cap money, so that may not be an option. Houston looked like an option for a bit but then Watson came on like gangbusters. SF looked like an option but Garoppolo came on like gangbusters. He may have to settle for "whoever will pay him". And the Browns are rolling in cap money.

Funny how these other teams keep coming up with young QB's who are good, while Redskin fans say by rote "what are we gonna do, take a shot on some rookie?"
I think he’d sign with Denver over Cleveland for a lower offer as long as it is a decent offer. I think he does want to win.  It’s not ALL about money, not even here in DC.  Anyway it doesn’t matter.  He’s done in DC.  The sooner it gets done now the better so the team can start working on other options....

Re: the idea of taking a shot on a rookie QB -- the idea is not crazy that the Redskins could go for one in this draft even without trading up.  I've heard many "experts" talk about how there are legit four QBs who could be top 15 players:  Darnold, Rosen, Allen and Mayfield.   Some people even put Lamar Jackson and Mason Rudolph in the first round, so that's actually 6 potential QBs in the first round.  The point is, there are QBs to be taken, based on how good you think they are.

Now let's look at draft order and who would be likely to select a QB in front of the Redskins

Cleveland
NY Giants
Indianapolis 
Cleveland
Denver
NY Jets
Tampa Bay
Chicago
San Francisco
Oakland
Miami
Cincinnati
Washington

Looking at this list, I think there are 4 in front of us likely to feel compelled to move on QB this offseason:  Cleveland, NYGiants, Denver, and  NYJets.  I get the distinct impression that Cousins will sign with Denver.  If so, then the Redskins could conceivably draft one of those top 4 QBs without trading up.

Or, if you are of the mindset that there are six guys you could go with, you could actually trade down to get your man.\

The Redskins have so many needs, of course they could also just stand pat with McCoy for another year and continue to build other parts of their team.  Many mock drafts I've seen have us snagging a defensive guy like Derwin James from Florida State, and I certainly wouldn't mind seeing us continue to bolster our defense or even grab a RB early if available.  Rolling with McCoy in 2018 is not a horrible option necessarily looking at the situation long term...

I'm not a college football officianado so I don't know what kind of pros the top 4 rookie QBs are likely to be, but as Fatness points out, between guys like Wentz, Goff, and Watson, it's not automatically crazy to go for a young guy as long he's got the stuff.  

The Redskins do have options, and don't need to go crazy to trade their entire draft to move up to the number one slot...

I wouldn't be shocked to see Miami take a QB if one falls. But the Giants may go for one more run with Manning and take  QB. 

Also it is worth keeping in mind that in the last draft 2 teams traded up in to the top 10 to take a QB and another did so the year before. Arizona may try to do the same this year. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2018/01/05/id-be-foolish-to-say-i-dont-want-to-be-here-highlights-from-kirk-cousinss-fan-event/?utm_term=.6f87fb8e3c00

Apparently, Kirk Cousins had a 2 hour Q and A with fans today.  I didn't listen to it but apparently you can go to the link above to listen to it.

The summary though in this Washington Post article surprised me a little though.  I had always heard that Kirk just wouldn't sign a contract here, NO MATTER WHAT.  But in these quotes he's saying he wants to be here:

"Shortly after Cousins was introduced to applause, Paulsen wasted no time asking one of the key questions that will factor into whether Cousins is in D.C. next season: Do you want to be a Washington Redskin?

“That has been the question, right?” Cousins said with a laugh. “That’s what we talked about last summer in July. The short answer is yes. I just feel that it’s been a very positive six years. Obviously, we don’t have Super Bowl rings to show for it, we don’t have playoff wins, but it’s a privilege to play here. I’ve felt that for all six seasons. I’d be foolish to say I don’t want to be here. It is truly a dream come true and a privilege to be here. Now obviously, it’s not that simple or that easy, and we have time to figure all that out, and work through all the circumstances that have to take place to feel really good about that, but I do feel the short answer is yes and let’s work through it.”

Then:

"Later in the event, a fan asked Cousins to elaborate on what he means when he says that he wants to be in D.C. under the right circumstances.

“Under the right set of circumstances is those conversations that [Cousins’ agent] Mike McCartney will have with the Redskins between now and March,” Cousins said. “I may get involved a little bit, too, but just trying to get on the same page, make sure it’s the right fit. We talk about winning is so important and I want to be excellent at what I do. I want to be associated with excellence and as I’ve said, if I feel like winning and excellence is here, I just don’t have a lot of reason to look elsewhere. I’m a big part of that. The ball’s in my hands, so if we’re not winning and we’re not excellent, I’ve got to look at myself first and foremost. But that’s certainly what I want to be a part of and helped build, so if I feel like that’s here, there’s no reason to look around.”

I still don't think he's gonna stay here, because I don't think we're gonna pay him (and I'm ok with that).  That said, I find it curious that his comments here directly contradict much of the reporting that he won't sign here for any amount of money.  Either those speculations are incorrect OR KC is just flat out lying to the fans...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ever watch "Bull Durham"? If Kirk is anything, he's a polished and consummate pro around the microphone. Has his quotes down. Good for him.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2018/01/05/id-be-foolish-to-say-i-dont-want-to-be-here-highlights-from-kirk-cousinss-fan-event/?utm_term=.6f87fb8e3c00

Apparently, Kirk Cousins had a 2 hour Q and A with fans today.  I didn't listen to it but apparently you can go to the link above to listen to it.

The summary though in this Washington Post article surprised me a little though.  I had always heard that Kirk just wouldn't sign a contract here, NO MATTER WHAT.  But in these quotes he's saying he wants to be here:

"Shortly after Cousins was introduced to applause, Paulsen wasted no time asking one of the key questions that will factor into whether Cousins is in D.C. next season: Do you want to be a Washington Redskin?

“That has been the question, right?” Cousins said with a laugh. “That’s what we talked about last summer in July. The short answer is yes. I just feel that it’s been a very positive six years. Obviously, we don’t have Super Bowl rings to show for it, we don’t have playoff wins, but it’s a privilege to play here. I’ve felt that for all six seasons. I’d be foolish to say I don’t want to be here. It is truly a dream come true and a privilege to be here. Now obviously, it’s not that simple or that easy, and we have time to figure all that out, and work through all the circumstances that have to take place to feel really good about that, but I do feel the short answer is yes and let’s work through it.”

Then:

"Later in the event, a fan asked Cousins to elaborate on what he means when he says that he wants to be in D.C. under the right circumstances.

“Under the right set of circumstances is those conversations that [Cousins’ agent] Mike McCartney will have with the Redskins between now and March,” Cousins said. “I may get involved a little bit, too, but just trying to get on the same page, make sure it’s the right fit. We talk about winning is so important and I want to be excellent at what I do. I want to be associated with excellence and as I’ve said, if I feel like winning and excellence is here, I just don’t have a lot of reason to look elsewhere. I’m a big part of that. The ball’s in my hands, so if we’re not winning and we’re not excellent, I’ve got to look at myself first and foremost. But that’s certainly what I want to be a part of and helped build, so if I feel like that’s here, there’s no reason to look around.”

I still don't think he's gonna stay here, because I don't think we're gonna pay him (and I'm ok with that).  That said, I find it curious that his comments here directly contradict much of the reporting that he won't sign here for any amount of money.  Either those speculations are incorrect OR KC is just flat out lying to the fans...
I don't see the disconnect. He has been happy on one year franchise deals. He didn't want a long term deal until those options ran out. The are out now so he'll deal. 

I don't see the disconnect. He has been happy on one year franchise deals. He didn't want a long term deal until those options ran out. The are out now so he'll deal. 
Yeah, maybe you don't see the disconnect but my point was many, many people out there were making pronoucements that he would not sign a deal in Washington, no matter what.  For instance, see this article, one of many just like it at the time:  https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/report-kirk-cousins-wont-sign-a-long-term-deal-as-long-as-bruce-allen-is-with-redskins/

I'm saying that Cousins recent comments contradict those reports. There is no disconnect on my part at least.  I'm just saying either those reports were incorrect or Cousins is not telling the truth right now. One of those two options...I'm willing to agree that as usual the media members were reporting their opinions as facts...

Yeah, maybe you don't see the disconnect but my point was many, many people out there were making pronoucements that he would not sign a deal in Washington, no matter what.  For instance, see this article, one of many just like it at the time:  https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/report-kirk-cousins-wont-sign-a-long-term-deal-as-long-as-bruce-allen-is-with-redskins/

I'm saying that Cousins recent comments contradict those reports. There is no disconnect on my part at least.  I'm just saying either those reports were incorrect or Cousins is not telling the truth right now. One of those two options...I'm willing to agree that as usual the media members were reporting their opinions as facts...
i stay very skeptical of anything that comes out of our media unless i hear it myself.  They are the worst!

Cousins would have signed here if we gave him whatever he wanted, which was an unrealistic price. He'll still sign here if we want to pay him $25-30M/yr, but we're not going to do that, and he'll accept less from most other teams. Nothing's changed. He's posturing to get an offer from us to help bid up his price for other teams. We'll play along because it would be a bad look to let him walk without putting in some kind of effort to keep him here but both sides know he's leaving. 

Cousins would have signed here if we gave him whatever he wanted, which was an unrealistic price. He'll still sign here if we want to pay him $25-30M/yr, but we're not going to do that, and he'll accept less from most other teams. Nothing's changed. He's posturing to get an offer from us to help bid up his price for other teams. We'll play along because it would be a bad look to let him walk without putting in some kind of effort to keep him here but both sides know he's leaving. 
I think he'd listen to an offer of $28+million per year and even think of staying but as you say we aint giving him that..,.nor should we with so many other needs to fill.  

I still think he ends up in Denver...

I think he'd listen to an offer of $28+million per year and even think of staying but as you say we aint giving him that..,.nor should we with so many other needs to fill.  

I still think he ends up in Denver...
I think he'd be better off in Jacksonville.  Great young Defense will take a ton of pressure off.

If you were Kirk,  outside of the $$$, is there any other reason you'd stay? While I don't think he's money-hungry driven enough to leave for a similar situation, or a worse one, aka Cleveland, if any Team with a semblance of 'normal' culture (ownership,management,coaching,locker room,fanbase) makes him a ballpark offer, he'd be crazy not to go. Snyder isnt going anywhere. Thats a handicap Im learning to live with. As long as Bruce Allen is involved with the organization,  I'm very comfortable siding with players over Team. Im rooting for Kirk to find a new home and do great. Im sorry its not here, but that should have been taken care of last year, and now its too late, and once again the Team is between a rock and a hard place. I'm so really, really tired of this crap.

If you were Kirk,  outside of the $$$, is there any other reason you'd stay? While I don't think he's money-hungry driven enough to leave for a similar situation, or a worse one, aka Cleveland, if any Team with a semblance of 'normal' culture (ownership,management,coaching,locker room,fanbase) makes him a ballpark offer, he'd be crazy not to go. Snyder isnt going anywhere. Thats a handicap Im learning to live with. As long as Bruce Allen is involved with the organization,  I'm very comfortable siding with players over Team. Im rooting for Kirk to find a new home and do great. Im sorry its not here, but that should have been taken care of last year, and now its too late, and once again the Team is between a rock and a hard place. I'm so really, really tired of this crap.
There is absolutely no reason Jacksonville shouldn't try to sign Cousins. They currently have $17 million in cap space available and gain an additional $19 million if they cut Bortles, which is a no brainer. Their defense is good enough now where you don't want to have to wait a couple of years to develop a young QB. For the reasons you stated above, I think Jacksonville would be a desirable team for Cousins.

dhockster said:
There is absolutely no reason Jacksonville shouldn't try to sign Cousins. They currently have $17 million in cap space available and gain an additional $19 million if they cut Bortles, which is a no brainer. Their defense is good enough now where you don't want to have to wait a couple of years to develop a young QB. For the reasons you stated above, I think Jacksonville would be a desirable team for Cousins.
I agree which is why I am rooting for Bortles to have a great game this week. Jaguars are the perfect fit for Cousins. The money is there and so is the team. Denver doesn't have the cap space without shredding the rest of the roster so I don't know if they will pony up for Kirk. I also don't think that higly of the rest of Denver's team. I didn't see their vaunted defense show up this year at all. Their skill positions may be a bit better than the Redskins right now, but only a bit, and let's see how they both look after the draft and the start of free agency. The gap their is closable. After the Jaguars I think Kirk's best spot is to stay in DC. I am not sure the Redskins best move is to pay what Kirk is asking for though. This team has too many holes right now. Ask me tomorrow and I might change my mind :lol:  

I agree which is why I am rooting for Bortles to have a great game this week. Jaguars are the perfect fit for Cousins. The money is there and so is the team. Denver doesn't have the cap space without shredding the rest of the roster so I don't know if they will pony up for Kirk. I also don't think that higly of the rest of Denver's team. I didn't see their vaunted defense show up this year at all. Their skill positions may be a bit better than the Redskins right now, but only a bit, and let's see how they both look after the draft and the start of free agency. The gap their is closable. After the Jaguars I think Kirk's best spot is to stay in DC. I am not sure the Redskins best move is to pay what Kirk is asking for though. This team has too many holes right now. Ask me tomorrow and I might change my mind :lol:  
Yeah, I want Bortles to just blow up this weekend.  I actually like Pittsburgh's team, but it would be cool to see some "fresh blood" make some noise in the playoffs. 

And yeah, a bonus would be throwing a big monkey wrench into all these speculations that Jags will sign Cousins.

The other thing I wonder about the Jags is, with Coughlin there, will they make a run at Eli?  That defense with Eli at the helm could absolutely make a run at a championship...

Yeah, I want Bortles to just blow up this weekend.  I actually like Pittsburgh's team, but it would be cool to see some "fresh blood" make some noise in the playoffs. 

And yeah, a bonus would be throwing a big monkey wrench into all these speculations that Jags will sign Cousins.

The other thing I wonder about the Jags is, with Coughlin there, will they make a run at Eli?  That defense with Eli at the helm could absolutely make a run at a championship...
Personally, I would take Smith over Eli. If I am winning primarily due to the strength of my defense, the main thing I don't want the offense to do is turn the ball over. Eli turns the ball over too much for my preference.

Personally, I would take Smith over Eli. If I am winning primarily due to the strength of my defense, the main thing I don't want the offense to do is turn the ball over. Eli turns the ball over too much for my preference.
That;s a legitimate point.  I think for the $, Smith is probably preferable to Cousins with that defense.  If Smith will cost $17 million and Cousins $28 million, that's a cool $11 million extra to put toward surrounding weapons/defense, etc.  

In terms of turnovers specifically, even Tyrod Taylor would be an option.  But Taylor is not as good as Smith in terms of consistently producing offensively, vs. simply not turning the ball over.  

And then you have those who simply do not believe JAX is going to go away from Bortles, e.g. http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/apparently-you-can-cross-jaguars-list-free-agent-destinations-kirk-cousins

It will be an interesting offseason to be sure.  It may be that Cousins has suitors, but perhaps not as many as originally anticipated. Though I still think he'll show up somewhere different that D.C. next season...

It will be an interesting offseason to be sure.  It may be that Cousins has suitors, but perhaps not as many as originally anticipated. Though I still think he'll show up somewhere different that D.C. next season...
A lot of (potentially) available QBs this offseason. Cousins is the best of them, but, like you say, teams may prefer a lesser QB for significantly lesser contract. Cousins, Smith, Bortles, Eli, 2 of the Vikings' QBs, Taylor. Tannenhill maybe? Palmer is probably done.

A lot of (potentially) available QBs this offseason. Cousins is the best of them, but, like you say, teams may prefer a lesser QB for significantly lesser contract. Cousins, Smith, Bortles, Eli, 2 of the Vikings' QBs, Taylor. Tannenhill maybe? Palmer is probably done.
I don't remember a year with this many moving parts at the QB position. I find it fascinating. Even started a thread about it. 

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/764251-pin-the-team-on-the-qb

Add to that 4-6 QBs projected to go in the first round.  At least a few of those QB-needy teams are going to take a shot in the draft...

The Redskins do have options, and don't need to go crazy to trade their entire draft to move up to the number one slot.
Amazing how much the bolded has been derided as ridiculous by so many sports mouths and Redskin fans, yet now here we are and surprise, there are options in FA and the draft.

Today may have made Keenum unavailable to the Skins, and may have made Jacksonville unavailable to Cousins.

If Keenum isn't available Bridgewater may be.

Today may have made Keenum unavailable to the Skins, and may have made Jacksonville unavailable to Cousins.

If Keenum isn't available Bridgewater may be.
I think the Vikes stick with Keenum and Teddy signs a short team friendly deal. Bradford follows Shurmer to whatever job he lands. Hopefully AZ. That will only leave Denver as real competition for Cousins. And they should draft someone instead.  

I'm pretty sure that if we don't draft a rookie to be our (immediate or soon thereafter) starter that one of the those 2 Viking QB's will end up here.
If Shurmer goes to a team that doesn't need a QB I can see Bradford here. I really think the Vikings will keep Case and Teddy. 

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/35387/zach-brown-among-redskins-non-kirk-cousins-free-agent-decisions

This article takes a look at the NON-QB free agent decisions the Redskins have to make in the offseason.  As I'm assuming that Kirk is gone, I feel many of these decisions are actually far more important than how much to offer Kirk.  I won't quote the whole article here but just list the guys they mention.  Feel free to weigh in on each.  (Try it, it feels good to talk about the Redskins without talking about Kirk Cousins first, second and third).

Breeland -- he's decent but he's wanting big time $.  Not sure he's worth that, may have to let him fly.  Also, Redskins now have surprising depth with guys like Fuller, Dunbar, etc.

Hall -- a sentamental favorite and you know he's come back for pennies, but just can't stay healthy anymore and wonder if this justifies a roster spot.  It seems like we need those slots later for injuries, etc.  Here's a wierd idea...would he ever want to join the assistant coaching ranks?  Seems like something he would do.

Zach Brown -- this would be my # 1 priority, not Cousins.  He's a difference maker.  Lock him up and spend if you need to to do it.

Phil Taylor -- we need DLmen so try to get him back, but based on injury history, don't spend very much on this.  He's almost like a project to me because not sure how much he'll see the field.

Foster -- prioritize to re-sign.  

Compton -- prioritize to re-sign.

Gallette -- I like how Gallette has come on since he's gotten healthy but I think he's starting to grumble about snaps and may even demand more $.  So I would try to sign him but not at top priority...not sure we're gonna use him as the central cog he wants to be.

Murphy -- along with Brown, he'd be one of my top priorities.  We need guys who can put pressure on the Quarterback, we simply cannot allow an effective one to go, particularly one who is young and who can give us a lot of years.

Spencer Long -- meh, sign if dirt cheap otherwise let go

Terrell Pryor -- bye, it was fun while it lasted.

Shawn Lavou -- meh.  Gee maybe we should look for offensive linemen in the draft.  Williams, Sheriff and Moses are fixtures...beyond that?

Niles Paul -- meh...it seems like we always say "hes' pretty good" but other than special teams, not sure what impact he has.  Just meh on this one.  I guess sign for Special Teams if cheap.  Otherwise...

Ryan Grant -- I would definitely sign him.  I think he's really starting to come on.  We need one more WR from draft or free agency but I actually think Doctson has potential, Crowder is a great slot guy, and both Grant and Harris are keepers.  Need to shore up Grant and Harris as solid, dependable guys and then shoot for one more guy in the draft or free agency.

Hopkins -- sign him...I think we take for granted having a dependable kicker but it is VERY valuable.  High priority sign.

What do you all think?

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/35387/zach-brown-among-redskins-non-kirk-cousins-free-agent-decisions

This article takes a look at the NON-QB free agent decisions the Redskins have to make in the offseason.  As I'm assuming that Kirk is gone, I feel many of these decisions are actually far more important than how much to offer Kirk.  I won't quote the whole article here but just list the guys they mention.  Feel free to weigh in on each.  (Try it, it feels good to talk about the Redskins without talking about Kirk Cousins first, second and third).

What do you all think?

I basically agree with everything you said. Maybe a little higher on Long than you are. But yeah, on the cheap. It's a shame Breeland has to go. He has Pro Bowl upside. I hope he finds it if he ends up outside the division. The money just isn't there to sign him and the depth to replace him is, like you pointed out. 

So what kind of compensation will the Skins get if he signs in Denver, Cleveland, etc. no way they let him walk and sign without compensation right??

Users who are viewing this thread