What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (16 Viewers)

CabinFever said:
So what kind of compensation will the Skins get if he signs in Denver, Cleveland, etc. no way they let him walk and sign without compensation right??
Double check with the Google but I think the highest comp pick is before the start of the 4th.

CabinFever said:
So what kind of compensation will the Skins get if he signs in Denver, Cleveland, etc. no way they let him walk and sign without compensation right??
Depends on what free agents the skins sign...there is a formula

Unless they tag him, I don't see what compensation they would get.  He is an unrestricted free agent.

The danger of tagging him to ensure compensation is that he may stay at a price that gobbles up too much of the cap, while providing no more stability at QB than a one year stop gap, after which he would leave next year.

I think at this point the Redskins probably just have to cut bait with no compensation and look to draft someone in the upcoming draft.

Double check with the Google but I think the highest comp pick is before the start of the 4th.
Ah, ok...so teams do get some sort of comp pick for FA's lost.  Saw this on Wikipedia:

"Compensatory picks[edit]

In addition to the 32 selections in each of the seven rounds, a total of 32 compensatory picks are awarded to teams based on the players they lost and gained in free agency. Using a proprietary formula, the league defines a class of unrestricted free agents as "compensatory free agents ("CFA"). Teams that have lost more or better compensatory free agents than they signed in the previous year receive picks somewhere in the third through seventh rounds.[61] Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the others. Compensatory picks are awarded each year at the NFL annual meeting which is held at the end of March; typically, about three or four weeks before the draft. Compensatory picks can be traded beginning with the 2017 NFL draft.[62] The placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick. However, the NFL has never revealed the exact formula used to determine allotment of compensatory picks, though observers from outside the NFL have been able to reverse engineer it to some degree of certainty.[63]

All compensatory picks are awarded at the ends of Rounds 3 through 7. If fewer than 32 such picks are awarded, the remaining picks are awarded after the final Round 7 compensatory picks in the order in which teams would pick in a hypothetical eighth round of the draft; these picks are known as "supplemental compensatory selections". More than 32 compensatory picks have been awarded only on one occasion: the 2016 NFL Draft, where 33 picks were awarded; the additional pick was awarded (under an agreement between the NFL Management Council and the NFLPA) to the Buffalo Bills for losing Da'Norris Searcy to free agency and signing Charles Clay as a transition tagged player from the Miami Dolphins, who had not qualified as a CFA.[64][65]

In 2016, the NFL released the compensatory picks on March 11 (one month and four days after the Super Bowl)."

Sounds complicated.  Bottom line, they would get a late 3rd (at end of round) tops...and maybe not that.  It would be better than nothing but really shouldn't factor into their decision making.  It just is what it is I guess.

Unless they tag him, I don't see what compensation they would get.  He is an unrestricted free agent.

The danger of tagging him to ensure compensation is that he may stay at a price that gobbles up too much of the cap, while providing no more stability at QB than a one year stop gap, after which he would leave next year.

I think at this point the Redskins probably just have to cut bait with no compensation and look to draft someone in the upcoming draft.
They would get a compensatory 2019 pick for him, likely a comp 3rd.

The most likely scenario is they Transition tag him, and then if he gets any offers, they match it and keep him or they negotiate with the offering team to do a match-and-trade.

Just seems even more painful for Skins fans to see him walk and get nothing for it (even a late 3rd seems pitiful for a QB in his demand that put up big numbers) I’m fine with them not wanting to pay him 30 million a year or whatever but to get nothing in return is salt in a wound. 

I'm guardedly optimistic about Smith trade, if true.  I think Smith is probably just as good as Cousins but a lot cheaper.  Basically, if we could have signed Kirk for 20 M per year, we would do it...so same deal here.

As has been alluded to above, I think the final value of this trade for me will depend on what the team gave up.  If they gave up a 3rd round pick or something like that,  I'd probably be ok with it.  I just hope they didn't trade a number one pick for him.  I think that's too much for a guy we'll only have a few years, and we're not one player away from the SB.

I also hope the Redskins still plan on drafting a guy either this year or next because Smith has a limited shelf life.

It will be interesting to see what happens.  It doesn't surprise me that they did this, as Snyder always wants to "sell hope" but for this to work, we better not have traded a number one, and we'd still be wise to draft the franchise guy for the future this year or next...

I can't see KC having settled for a 6th rounder this early in the process. Gotta think Washington offered something substantial to get them to agree so soon.
That's a really good point. I really, really hope they didn't give up a number one.  A number 2 or a swap of first rounders I'd grumble about but I could live with.  A number 3 I'd be happy with.  Maybe it's something like a third rounder and agreement to swap number one picks...ugh...Skins have a history of overpaying so nervous...

It’s a 3rd plus a player tbd and I think it’s too much. Mid 3rd rounder is still a starter. Kareem Hunts of the world. KC didn’t have any leverage. This is McNabb and Brunell all over again. 

That said if it was a 5th I’d be stoked and fine with a 4th so I won’t grumble too much. Who am I kidding, I’ll get some grumbling in. 

That player to be added will also put a spot n on this. Buddy speculated it will be Cravens.

It’s a 3rd plus a player tbd and I think it’s too much. Mid 3rd rounder is still a starter. Kareem Hunts of the world. KC didn’t have any leverage. This is McNabb and Brunell all over again. 

That said if it was a 5th I’d be stoked and fine with a 4th so I won’t grumble too much. Who am I kidding, I’ll get some grumbling in. 

That player to be added will also put a spot n on this. Buddy speculated it will be Cravens.
Cravens?  That dude had potential but he's a little nuts.  Plus, he seems to get injured a lot.  I'd actually be ok with a third and Cravens.  Let's face it, we f'ed up on the Kirk contract years ago, this would be about as good a save as we could expect from the team.  Of course, I'm hoping we'll still try to draft a QB to ultimately build to the future..

They could throw in Dr. Jack Griffin as well.

So it's time to draft the best rookie QB they can draft. Let Smith play til the rookie has learned enough and is ready. Smith won't be much of a step back from Cousins, if any. He's steady and smart and can run his way out of tight situations.

So bump for Reed or whoever is playing at TE and Thompson out of the backfield? 
Not sure yet. Thompson is going to get his --- he was their best offensive player last year before he got hurt. Their TE's are liabilities, though. Reed's production is way down, he's always hurt, and I think "Jordan Reed" in our minds is just a memory. Now there's a beat-up guy who's often hurt and who kills the running game with nonblocking. Davis is similar, except he gets hurt less. He's a bad blocker. And if they're going to have a running game (not a given with Gruden, but a given with any sensible coach) then they stand on the table demanding to draft or acquire at least 2 TE's who can block.

Reports are that the new contract includes ~70$ million guaranteed and the player is Kendall Fuller. 
So far the guesses are Cravens and Fuller. That's one good thing that comes out of having secondary depth -- you can trade a guy.

I hope it's not Fuller. But if it is Breeland's chances of re-signing here just went up. And I think he's worth the money. He's better than Norman, and younger.

The #Redskins gave QB Alex Smith a 4-year extension worth $94M, source said. He gets a whopping $71M in guarantees.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) January 31, 2018
Let's wait and see about those amounts. Early reports are usually on the high side.

IF it's Fuller, then that sucks.  He's one of our best young corners.  Not worth it.
I like Fuller and think the price is high. However, the Redskins are also high on Moreau and Dunbar, high enough apparently that they could part with Fuller. And with Smith getting less money than Cousins would have gotten here it frees up money for Breeland.

Let's say the Redskins draft a good rookie QB. Smith remains the starter until the rookie takes over, this year or the next or the next. The rookie starts a whole season and does pretty well for a first year. There's a week 17 game against the Giants which determines if the Skins make the playoffs or not. The rookie throws 3 picks in the first half.

Are you comfortable with Alex Smith coming in?

So it's time to draft the best rookie QB they can draft. Let Smith play til the rookie has learned enough and is ready. Smith won't be much of a step back from Cousins, if any. He's steady and smart and can run his way out of tight situations.
Can’t draft a rookie now. A rookie now is a starter by 3rd year at the latest. With Smith getting $70mil guaranteed we would be paying him $35mil a year. That’s higher than the franchise tag.

Well Cousins nor Smith are going to make this team a contender. But I guess this frees up some money which is a plus. We need a TE that isn’t brittle or old, a #1 WR that can catch, a true 3 down RB (love Thompson but he’s a great 3rd down back) and all kinds of pass rush and run defense help...and a new GM sounds good too 

Well Cousins nor Smith are going to make this team a contender. But I guess this frees up some money which is a plus. We need a TE that isn’t brittle or old, a #1 WR that can catch, a true 3 down RB (love Thompson but he’s a great 3rd down back) and all kinds of pass rush and run defense help...and a new GM sounds good too 
Doesn’t free up as much as drafting a rookie to start or even back up Colt for a year would. 

Can’t draft a rookie now. A rookie now is a starter by 3rd year at the latest. With Smith getting $70mil guaranteed we would be paying him $35mil a year. That’s higher than the franchise tag.
Of course they can. They can renegotiate contracts, spread out the hit, keep Smith happy, let the rookie take over when he's ready.

This terrific aversion to drafting rookie QB's is something I don't understand in Skins fans. They drafted 2 in one year --- Griffin and Cousins. Both of them got the Skins to the playoffs one year.  It's looked on as a horror show but was it really? I don't think so.

Users who are viewing this thread