What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Deshaun Watson, CLE (5 Viewers)

meanwhile, in the Bat cave:

'Deshaun,  the Packers' front office, ALL of them,  are on a conference call waiting for you to join in..they're on the red phone'.

That leaves Texans fans anxiously awaiting July 28 to see what happens when the team hits the field for the first mandatory practice of the offseason, unless the NFL steps in before then with the exempt clause.
Anxiously probably isn't the right word.

The sense of apathy and dejection that has set in after the litany of bad moves they let O'brien make, and then Watt leaving and this Watson stuff, has caused interest to plummet.

For pretty much their entire existence, the Texans have had a wait list for season tickets of around 25,000 people. It is empty now, in one offseason. They went through the whole list trying to sell the tickets they had and were turned down.

For pretty much their entire existence, the Texans have had a wait list for season tickets of around 25,000 people. It is empty now, in one offseason. They went through the whole list trying to sell the tickets they had and were turned down.
the nfl has to step in at some point. it's not good business for them to have the texans be this bad. 

the nfl has to step in at some point. it's not good business for them to have the texans be this bad. 
What could they do? 

If the owner was non-consensually putting his junk on massage therapists persons, they might be able to force a team sale ala the Clippers. 

But a GM made some awful trades & a QB made some terrible decisions.

It’s a shame, because they have a gorgeous stadium & a fan base that deserves better, but I just don’t see what the NFL can do. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Zeke's was 6 and didn't get knocked down at all it was 6 games from weeks 10-15.

He tried fighting it in court and that is why I started week 10 instead of week 1 and eventually he gave up and just took the 6 games.
This was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay way worse. 

My Niners did it for years.

the Saints had 1/8 full stadium filled with people wearing paper bags over their heads. 

It happens. 
but we're having to include losing a franchise qb (via holdout or court ordered) after signing him to a monster deal and trading the best wr in the league for the 60th best rb in the league. 

not including the franchise's icon forced his way out. 

but we're having to include losing a franchise qb (via holdout or court ordered) after signing him to a monster deal and trading the best wr in the league for the 60th best rb in the league. 

That’s the NFL for ya. Not every franchise is a winner & some catch unlucky breaks. 

:shrug:  

Covid probably had a lot to do with this.

They're probably in for a couple rough years unless somehow Mills becomes a stud. (Unlikely as that may be). 

Would it be really shocking to see Houston lose another franchise?  Seems unlikely for the 4th largest city, which happens to be in Texas (football mecca) to lose another team. But who knows really?

Would it be really shocking to see Houston lose another franchise?  Seems unlikely for the 4th largest city, which happens to be in Texas (football mecca) to lose another team. But who knows really?
Would be shocking to me, considering that stadium they’ve got was 80%+ paid for by TX taxpayers. 

the Texans are the result of bad management, bad luck & (allegedly) bad behavior by their franchise QB. But it’s not like they were world beaters with Watson. 

It’s just how things go in a monopoly of a sport that’s basically a fiefdom of billionaire owners. Some teams will compete, and some will be also-rans.

Houston is in for a terrible couple of years, at least. While the current situation with Watson goes on him, the blame for the overall state of the team should go to the top. Making BOB HC & GM was a terrible decision. The trades they’ve made have been deeply questionable & the team seems to be totally dysfunctional. 

But again, that’s just football. There’s always a Texans. If the Texans moved and became the Nevadans or the Idahoans they’d still suck. 

They're probably in for a couple rough years unless somehow Mills becomes a stud. (Unlikely as that may be). 

If Mills is not a stud, they’ll have the first overall pick to use on the top QB.

I don’t understand why this situation is just sitting there in limbo.  Why hasn’t the NFL placed Watson on some non-exempt list?   How tough can it be to interview 25-30 people  and determine a reasonable course of action?

They’ve had no reason to have to act yet.
Agree. Generally speaking, I believe the preference is to wait until legal channels have worked things out.

In situations where there is damning physical evidence, like being caught on video, for example, the NFL is usually quick to act.

This situation is far more complex, so they’ll probably stay on the sidelines until it’s either worked its way through the courts, or a settlement is reached.

@RapSheet

Quarterbacks are reporting today in Houston, and #Texans QB Deshaun Watson is expected to be among them, source said. He’s showing up for testing to begin entry into training camp. However, Watson’s stance about the organization and desire to be traded remains unchanged.

but...... but.....

@MikeGarafolo

I didn’t expect the league to step in at this point. The civil cases are ongoing and no criminal charges imminent. The league continues to monitor the situation. So it’s on Watson and the #Texans for how to proceed right now.

Would be shocking to me, considering that stadium they’ve got was 80%+ paid for by TX taxpayers. 

the Texans are the result of bad management, bad luck & (allegedly) bad behavior by their franchise QB. But it’s not like they were world beaters with Watson. 

It’s just how things go in a monopoly of a sport that’s basically a fiefdom of billionaire owners. Some teams will compete, and some will be also-rans.

Houston is in for a terrible couple of years, at least. While the current situation with Watson goes on him, the blame for the overall state of the team should go to the top. Making BOB HC & GM was a terrible decision. The trades they’ve made have been deeply questionable & the team seems to be totally dysfunctional. 

But again, that’s just football. There’s always a Texans. If the Texans moved and became the Nevadans or the Idahoans they’d still suck. 
I grew up a lions fan. 🤷‍♂️ The owner makes a HUGE difference. Maybe the key difference, over time.

Agree. Generally speaking, I believe the preference is to wait until legal channels have worked things out.

In situations where there is damning physical evidence, like being caught on video, for example, the NFL is usually quick to act.

This situation is far more complex, so they’ll probably stay on the sidelines until it’s either worked its way through the courts, or a settlement is reached.
Yep. 

Although I'd still think something happens before week 1.

Yep. 

Although I'd still think something happens before week 1.
I’m thinking unless there’s a settlement, this will drag on. 

I mean, it is possible the NFL may suspend him “pending outcome” or something if they can come up with a plausible excuse - that could happen.

if it does it’ll be a favor to the owners if they don’t have to pay him while he’s suspended.

Just spitballing here. 

I mean, it is possible the NFL may suspend him “pending outcome” or something if they can come up with a plausible excuse - that could happen.

if it does it’ll be a favor to the owners if they don’t have to pay him while he’s suspended.

Just spitballing here. 
I think if it’s not settled before the season, they’ll put him on the “exempt list”. I don’t think the NFL wants him to be the story. Just a guess.

This was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay way worse. 
I will forever believe that Zeke's suspension was less about Zeke, and more about Jerry Jones.

I think its possible Watson sees  no suspension and doesn't hit the exempt list. There is still no proof he's done anything wrong. A lot of hearsay and conjecture, but no real evidence. If there was a video or something, then he'd be in screwed, but short of that, none of the current evidence holds much weight. We kinda saw something similar with Tyreek Hill. Without video, there is too much reasonable doubt. 

I will forever believe that Zeke's suspension was less about Zeke, and more about Jerry Jones.

I think its possible Watson sees  no suspension and doesn't hit the exempt list. There is still no proof he's done anything wrong. A lot of hearsay and conjecture, but no real evidence. If there was a video or something, then he'd be in screwed, but short of that, none of the current evidence holds much weight. We kinda saw something similar with Tyreek Hill. Without video, there is too much reasonable doubt. 
The number of women is the difference. 

in both the Hill & Zeke situations, it was 1 person, a he said/she said.

here it’s he said/she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said.

when multiple witnesses have corroborating stories, that amounts to something that more resembles evidence. Yes, it’s still their words against his, but the number does matter.

I don’t see this going away without a settlement, exemption, or suspension. 

I’m not saying he’s guilty of anything, but there is evidence in the emails/texts he sent and the 20+ “Victims’” testimony. How persuasive that evidence is would be the determining factor if this went to trial.

Just spitballing here. 
I'm not sure what they do, exempt list makes sense I think. But unless something is resolved I just don't see the NFL ignoring this entering the season.

The league has over a month to take action, and I’m certain that they already have all of their contingency plans ready for what potentially will happen between now and then. 

There’s zero reason to act now. 

The number of women is the difference. 

in both the Hill & Zeke situations, it was 1 person, a he said/she said.

here it’s he said/she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said.

when multiple witnesses have corroborating stories, that amounts to something that more resembles evidence. Yes, it’s still their words against his, but the number does matter.

I don’t see this going away without a settlement, exemption, or suspension. 
If I had to be on something, I'd guess a settlement as well, but I'm not sure a suspension follows that. 

At this point I think Watson's chances of being traded are just as high as his chances of being suspended. I think teams are starting to get back on board, because it really feels like nothing too serious is going to come of this in my opinion.

Testimony IS evidence. Nearly all criminal cases depend, at least in part, on testimony as to the facts. 20+ people telling the same story and feeling themselves threatened and coerced in a vulnerable setting by a professional football player will be believed. 

I think nearly everyone involved is rooting for a settlement. The league would be able to penalize DeShaun and begin effective damage control. Obviously, Watson doesn't want it to crush him financially, but taking the focus off the occurrence and what evidence will be coming out will make his life easier and make it much more possible for teams to trade for him. The Texans can get a better trade price and be able to take a step out from under this over-whelming cloud. They can't work very hard on trading Watson before that without accepting a minimal return. The women most likely want to get compensated - I'm thinking that is why they responded when the attorneys were tracking down cases. Some may want their day in court (either so they can make more money through their book or because they truthfully want to opportunity to tell what happened and what he did). With a settlement they can do a book anyway telling the untold story and a settlement takes away the chance of getting little or nothing and all the stress of testifying about other facts that may get uncomfortable in their line of business. The lawyers ALWAYS want to settle and get paid. They will be getting at least 7 times what each of the women will (assuming 1/3 of 20+ settlement figures). I think it's now mostly about a figure the women will accept that Watson can pay. The plaintiffs are probably hoping to benefit from football picking up and the increased focus and so pressure on Watson.

I think it's very likely to settle, and I think that hope has the team and the NFL holding off. Plaintiffs like the added pressure. If they settle and there isn't a felony criminal charge filed or that gets pled out to misdemeanors, the league can probably get away with a 9 game (just over half season) suspension and start sweeping the rest under the carpet. Just my guess.

Away from the legal stuff for a second - is anyone else puzzled by the fact that his holdout didn't even last a day?

Except Hill didn’t actually do anything as it turns out.....

Away from the legal stuff for a second - is anyone else puzzled by the fact that his holdout didn't even last a day?
Once Houston gave up on him, he has no reason to stay away anymore.  Holding out doesn't force them to trade him anymore than they already plan to.

He shows up. Texans will tell him to go home, or else trade him.  Barring them working things out, I can't imagine letting him practice... risking injury that would hinder a trade even if the other stuff works out, and taking reps away from players who are going to play for them this year.

GregR said:
Once Houston gave up on him, he has no reason to stay away anymore.  Holding out doesn't force them to trade him anymore than they already plan to.

He shows up. Texans will tell him to go home, or else trade him.  Barring them working things out, I can't imagine letting him practice... risking injury that would hinder a trade even if the other stuff works out, and taking reps away from players who are going to play for them this year.
If he shows up why would the Texans tell him to go home?  I'd throw him right to the wolves.  He's clearly the best qb on the roster.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Texans are willing to trade Deshaun Watson and could be seeking three first-round draft picks in exchange for the QB. 

NFL reporter Chris Mortensen said Houston wants "some combination of five high draft picks and starting caliber players" in a swap for Watson, whose contract includes a no-trade clause, meaning he has to green light any trade. That the team is reportedly open to trading away its franchise player after months of denying such reports could mean that Texans are engaging several teams in trade talks. The Dolphins, Broncos, and Eagles have reported interest in going all in for Watson. In June, Broncos DB Kareem Jackson and former Watson teammate said Watson "wants to be" dealt to Denver -- a move that would send Broncos pass catchers skyrocketing up fantasy draft boards. Watson avoided the Commissioner's Exempt List after facing more than 20 allegations of sexual misconduct, making a trade more likely in the coming weeks. He could face a lengthy suspension no matter where he lands. A police investigation into the sexual misconduct allegations against Watson remains open and 22 lawsuits against the quarterback are pending. 

RELATED: 

Tua Tagovailoa

, Jalen Hurts

, Drew Lock

, Denver Broncos

, Miami Dolphins

, Philadelphia Eagles

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Jul 26, 2021, 8:04 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread