What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (3 Viewers)

Discovered Prine about 15 years ago when I heard the song “In Spite of Ourselves”, which also introduced me to the genius of Iris DeMent.

If you’ve never heard it before, click on the link and give it a listen, ideally while snuggled up next to your “big door prize”. 

Discovered Prine about 15 years ago when I heard the song “In Spite of Ourselves”, which also introduced me to the genius of Iris DeMent.

If you’ve never heard it before, click on the link and give it a listen, ideally while snuggled up next to your “big door prize”. 
Never heard of that song before (or Prine, to be honest) but that song is just so so great. Here’s a live version that was in the YouTube side bar and I think it’s an even better version. So down to earth, funny, and sweet. 

Never heard of that song before (or Prine, to be honest) but that song is just so so great. Here’s a live version that was in the YouTube side bar and I think it’s an even better version. So down to earth, funny, and sweet
Someone on Twitter declared it the greatest love song ever written, which I was initially inclined to chalk up to our tendency to hyperbolize the recently deceased. And yet ... I'm having a hard time thinking of anything better.

The bawdy verses ("Ain't got laid in a month of Sundays/Caught him once, he was sniffing my undies") is what initially gets your attention, but the adorable simplicity of the chorus is what stays with you. You're right that the live version is better musically, but I think the video, with all the couples photos, perfect captures the sweetness: All of us -- young or old, attractive or ugly, gay or straight -- can relate to that kind of uncomplicated affection for the love of our lives.

I'm glad I was able to introduce you to that song, and I hope you'll pay it forward to others. Isn't that what a legacy is all about?

Ok, now where have I heard this before? Apparently, it was in a couple of movies, but I haven’t seen those. Commercial maybe?

Music producer Hal Willner died from COVID-19 complications yesterday.  The headline of his obituaries highlight his work on SNL but I'll always remember the series of tribute albums he produced in the 80s and early 90s. 

Tribute albums were still a relatively new thing back then.  Willner assembled a eclectic cast of performers to record songs from a single composer:  Nino Rota, Thelonious Monk, Kurt Weill and Charles Mingus.  They were great albums and I bought all of them.   He also did one of songs from old Disney and compiled the music of Looney Tunes composer Carl Stalling.

Sadly, most of Willner's records are out of print due to rights issues.  The Mingus one is on YouTube but that's probably my least favorite of the tributes.

It's weird that you need to announce you never heard of some one especially when you generally do it after they die. Do you think anyone cares if you heard of some one? 
I flip through the obits in the paper every morning and loudly say to each one, "Never heard of him, don't care... never heard of... oh, last name Wilson! I know a Wilson! Oh, different Wilson, don't care... never heard of her..."

It's weird that you need to announce you never heard of some one especially when you generally do it after they die. Do you think anyone cares if you heard of some one? 
No, I only commented because several folks reacted so much to the news and I was curious why I had never heard of him.  When I found out it was a musician it made sense.

Diagnosed with pancreatic and dead in a week. Had a somewhat similar experience with CEO of a company a few years back. Had a call with him and found out about a month later he’d fallen ill, been diagnosed, and died within about 3 weeks. No symptoms prior. Terrible disease pancreatic cancer.
My dad does of an embolism related to pancreatic cancer- within a week of being diagnosed and given 6months. They hadn't even told us yet. Christmas Eve, 2006. My wife was pregnant with our oldest. :(

My dad does of an embolism related to pancreatic cancer- within a week of being diagnosed and given 6months. They hadn't even told us yet. Christmas Eve, 2006. My wife was pregnant with our oldest. :(
Sorry, Flop. I remember that your father had passed, but thought you were much, much younger when he did. It's still sad and tragic, but I am heartened that he was there for you in your youth. Regardless of that, it's still awful. And sad. My late condolences. 

I count Mad Magazine as one of the benefits of being a Gen X-er. Was just the right age when I read my first one, in that it was almost taboo when it came out and really had some wonderful material during my pre-teen and early teen years in the late 70's-early 80's. Mad, Cracked and the occasional Crazy magazines were my literary staples. I think I might still have the 45 single "Makin' Out" they attached to this edition

I count Mad Magazine as one of the benefits of being a Gen X-er. Was just the right age when I read my first one, in that it was almost taboo when it came out and really had some wonderful material during my pre-teen and early teen years in the late 70's-early 80's. Mad, Cracked and the occasional Crazy magazines were my literary staples. I think I might still have the 45 single "Makin' Out" they attached to this edition
Still own a bunch of the back issues. Always liked the Snappy Answers To Stupid Questions series. Never was a big fan of Spy vs. Spy though.

Still own a bunch of the back issues. Always liked the Snappy Answers To Stupid Questions series. Never was a big fan of Spy vs. Spy though.
I'm jealous; I was too much of a slob and left them laying around so that they got torn up before long.  I don't think I can recall a favorite feature, but Spy vs Spy wasn't one of them.

I'm jealous; I was too much of a slob and left them laying around so that they got torn up before long.  I don't think I can recall a favorite feature, but Spy vs Spy wasn't one of them.
They're fun to go through every now and then. My life would be complete if I still had my old Circus magazines.

They're fun to go through every now and then. My life would be complete if I still had my old Circus magazines.
Never got into Circus.

FWIW, I'm currently in a Mad Magazine wiki rabbit-hole, learning the depth of their influence on their time,and how badly their heirs have perverted the magazine's legacy.

Since we're sort of on the subject, I want to share this one line from the wiki article about Mad magazine:

Mad contributor Tom Richmond has responded to critics who say the magazine's decision to accept advertising would make late publisher William Gaines "turn over in his grave", pointing out this is impossible because Gaines was cremated.

Users who are viewing this thread