What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

​ 🏛️ ​Official Supreme Court nomination thread - Amy Coney Barrett (9 Viewers)

Yet another complete 180 -- GOPs Josh Hawley problem

The Q&A portion of Amy Coney Barrett’s Supreme Court confirmation hearing began Tuesday and went about as you’d expect. Democrats peppered her with inquiries that sought to glean how she would rule on key issues such as abortion and the Affordable Care Act, but Barrett — like many nominees before her — resolutely declined to provide specifics, saying they could be read as prejudging cases that might come before her.

Barrett, whose personal opposition to abortion and criticism of Roe v. Wade have been extensively detailed in recent weeks, testified she has made “no commitment” to either the White House or GOP senators on how she would rule on such cases. Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) also asked her whether she agreed with the late Justice Antonin Scalia that Roe was “wrongly decided,” and Barrett declined to weigh in.

No surprise there. This is how these hearings go.

What was particularly interesting, though, was how Republicans sought to drive home the idea that Barrett wouldn’t be a surefire vote for their side against abortion rights. They were essentially arguing, as they have on striking down Obamacare, that Barrett would not necessarily do the thing that they very much would like her to do.

This posture is difficult to square with the comments of one of their very own committee members: Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.).

While Hawley’s fellow Republicans have made a clear strategic decision to cast Barrett as something of a blank slate on these issues, Hawley has gone in a very different direction. Even before Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s death, Hawley has pushed something unusual: an explicit litmus test.

Hawley has said he would not support any nominee unless he or she clearly said that Roe, the landmark Supreme Court case establishing a right to abortion, was invalid precedent.

“I will vote only for those Supreme Court nominees who have explicitly acknowledged that Roe v. Wade is wrongly decided,” Hawley told The Washington Post’s Robert Costa in July. “By explicitly acknowledged, I mean on the record and before they were nominated.”

Hawley added: “I don’t want private assurances from candidates. I don’t want to hear about their personal views, one way or another. I’m not looking for forecasts about how they may vote in the future or predications. I don’t want any of that. I want to see on the record, as part of their record, that they have acknowledged in some forum that Roe v. Wade, as a legal matter, is wrongly decided.”

Hawley added to NBC News last month: “I’m going to start by asking the question that I articulated before the Senate, which is, does this nominee — has this nominee recognized that Roe vs. Wade was wrongly decided in 1973? … If they can’t beat the test, it doesn’t get further than that — I’m gonna vote no.”

Hawley has since said that Barrett does indeed satisfy his test.

“There’s plenty of evidence, I think, to demonstrate that she understands that Roe is — in my words — an act of judicial imperialism,” Hawley said last week. “And I feel very comfortable with her on that issue.”

So while the GOP is seeking to argue that it does not know how Barrett would rule on these cases, one of its own Senate Judiciary Committee members has effectively said he does.

There’s some nuance here. Hawley’s test required the nominee to have enunciated this position before nomination, not necessarily as part of the confirmation hearing. And Barrett has indeed suggested that she opposes Roe, signing on to a 2006 ad that said it was “time to put an end to the barbaric legacy of Roe v. Wade.” Barrett has also written things that suggest a precedent such as Roe might not be a “super-precedent” and could be overturned.

But it’s not 100 percent clear that Barrett has said Roe was wrongly decided. Something can be both “barbaric” and legal. Abortion rights opponents may believe the best way to get rid of Roe or its companion case Casey v. Planned Parenthood is via legislation or constitutional amendment. And floating the idea of overturning long-standing precedents isn’t the same as saying a specific one was wrong.

Hawley, though, demanded that the nominee would have “explicitly acknowledged that Roe v. Wade is wrongly decided.” And Barrett flatly declined to do so Tuesday:

FEINSTEIN: Do you agree with Justice Scalia’s view that Roe was wrongly decided?

BARRETT: So Senator, I do want to be forthright and answer every question so far as I can. I think on that question, I’m going to invoke Justice [Elena] Kagan’s description, which I think is perfectly put. When she was in her confirmation hearing, she said that she was not going to grade precedent or give it a thumbs-up or a thumbs-down, and I think in an area where precedent continues to be pressed and litigated, as is true of Casey, it would be particularly -- it would actually be wrong and a violation of the canons for me to do that as a sitting judge.

So if I express a view on a precedent one way or another, whether I say I love it or I hate it, it signals to litigants that I might tilt one way or another in a pending case.

FEINSTEIN: So on something that is really a major cause with major effects on over half of the population of this country, who are women, after all, it's -- it's distressing not to get a straight answer. So let me try again -- do you agree with Justice Scalia's view that Roe was wrongly decided?

BARRETT: Senator, I completely understand why you are asking the question but again, I can’t pre-commit or say, “Yes, I’m going in with some agenda,” because I’m not. I don’t have any agenda. I have no agenda to try to overrule Casey. I have an agenda to stick to the rule of law and decide cases as they come.

Hawley’s stance on this makes plenty of sense for him personally. As someone believed to have potential presidential aspirations, it could be a calling card in appealing to religious conservatives in the GOP nomination process. But it puts his allies in a very uneasy situation, which is why many of them have been critical of his approach — or at least said they don’t agree with it.

Hawley will ask Barrett questions later on Tuesday. His past comments suggest this issue will be front-and-center for him. Indeed, how could it not, given its importance to him? But raising this issue would also serve to undercut the argument that the GOP has spent virtually the entire day seeking to drive home.

And as Republicans seek to continue making the case that Barrett wouldn’t be an anti-Roe justice, Hawley’s statement that his litmus test has been satisfied will loom.

:lmao:  Yeah, I've definitely found myself in a tough spot when I spout off some point I heard someone else make and someone provides a solid response to it. I then just respond with  :mellow:  because I don't know enough about the topic to continue the conversation. I feel like I do that a lot less now that I've probably done that so many times that I realize how little I actually know about most topics.
Every high functioning person I have ever gotten to know well enough to have an opinion has had that epiphany. The more you know, the more acute your awareness of how much you lack.

Folks with average intelligence are far more likely to be confident they know more about a subject than the person they are engaging.

Humility and openness are highly underrated leadership characteristics. 

Slim majority now favor comfirmation

Funny how this has been sliding. 
Huh? Your editorial comment makes no sense.

A slim majority of voters now back Senate confirmation of Judge Amy Coney Barrett to replace the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg on the Supreme Court — a level of support that has increased by double digits since President Trump nominated her last month

In addition, the 28% voting No to confirmation is far less than the 46% reported in the Gallup poll.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh? Your editorial comment makes no sense.

A slim majority of voters now back Senate confirmation of Judge Amy Coney Barrett to replace the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg on the Supreme Court — a level of support that has increased by double digits since President Trump nominated her last month

In addition, the 28% voting No to confirmation is far less than the 46% reported in the Gallup poll.
I meant opposition sliding.

Sorry, I thought it was on this board I had a debate with somebody about opposition to the nomination. Wrong venue. 

From vice 

The New Yorker has suspended reporter Jeffrey Toobin for masturbating on a Zoom video chat between members of the New Yorker and WNYC radio last week. Toobin says he did not realize his video was on. 

“I made an embarrassingly stupid mistake, believing I was off-camera. I apologize to my wife, family, friends and co-workers,” Toobin told Motherboard.

“I believed I was not visible on Zoom. I thought no one on the Zoom call could see me. I thought I had muted the Zoom video,” he added.  

:mellow:

Wacko ? Confirmed
I've done a ton of stuff by Zoom since the start of the pandemic. He must have not had on the "view all screens" option. I make sure I have that on so I can see whether I'm on screen (alas, not because I'm masturbating). What a dumb dumb. 

This process -- focused on partisan political gain, needless theatre, and where a nominee isn't really being critically or impartially nominated or reviewed -- is inexorably broken.

This is farce and has nothing to do with ensuring that the very best serve on the highest court of the land.

This process -- focused on partisan political gain, needless theatre, and where a nominee isn't really being critically or impartially nominated or reviewed -- is inexorably broken.

This is farce and has nothing to do with ensuring that the very best serve on the highest court of the land.
I think she seems suited for the bench...no problem there.

I agree about the process and it should be a part of every democratic campaign.  How the GOP Senate, led by McConnell, thought this was more important than actual stimulus packages for Americans in need during a pandemic.

Murkowski reverses course and gives GOP 52 of 53 potential yea votes...Collins only nay at this point.

Sen. Lisa Murkowski announced Saturday that she will ultimately vote yes on Amy Coney Barrett's confirmation to the Supreme Court of the United States.

"I will be a yes," Murkowski said Saturday in a floor speech. "I have no doubt about her intellect. I have no doubt about Judge Barrett's judicial temperament. I have no doubt about her capability to do the job -- and to do it well."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/24/politics/murkowski-yes-vote-amy-coney-barrett-supreme-court/index.html

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/senate-rare-saturday-session-debate-amy-coney-barrett-nomination

Murkowski reverses course and gives GOP 52 of 53 potential yea votes...Collins only nay at this point.

Sen. Lisa Murkowski announced Saturday that she will ultimately vote yes on Amy Coney Barrett's confirmation to the Supreme Court of the United States.

"I will be a yes," Murkowski said Saturday in a floor speech. "I have no doubt about her intellect. I have no doubt about Judge Barrett's judicial temperament. I have no doubt about her capability to do the job -- and to do it well."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/24/politics/murkowski-yes-vote-amy-coney-barrett-supreme-court/index.html

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/senate-rare-saturday-session-debate-amy-coney-barrett-nomination
She stated that she was strongly opposed to filling the seat.   It shouldn't matter whether the candidate is qualified or not.  She was perfectly happy to let Garland fall by the wayside (although there as well she originally came out saying he should at least get a hearing and then reversed course).

She and Collins are cut from the same cloth.

“It has been 80 years since a Supreme Court vacancy was nominated and confirmed in an election year. There is a long tradition that you don’t do this in an election year.”

…This should be a decision for the people. Let the election decide. If the Democrats want to replace this nominee, they need to win the election.”

2016, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas)
“I strongly support giving the American people a voice in choosing the next Supreme Court nominee by electing a new president. I hope all Americans understand how important their vote is when it comes to picking a new Supreme Court justice.

“…If there’s a Republican President… and a vacancy occurs in the last year… you can say, Lindsay Graham said let’s let the next President, whoever that may be, make that nomination, and you could use my words against me and you’d be absolutely right.

2016, Sen. Lindsey Graham (Republican -S.C.)
“Rarely does a Supreme Court vacancy occur in the final year of a presidential term … Given that we are in the midst of the presidential election process, we believe that the American people should seize the opportunity to weigh in...

The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president.”

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, Merrick Garland nomination March, 2016
“I don’t think we should be moving on a nominee in the last year of this president’s term – I would say that if it was a Republican president.”

2016, Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.)
“I believe the best thing for the country is to trust the American people to weigh in on who should make a lifetime appointment that could reshape the Supreme Court for generations. This wouldn’t be unusual. It is common practice for the Senate to stop acting on lifetime appointments during the last year of a presidential term, and it’s been nearly 80 years since any president was permitted to immediately fill a vacancy that arose in a presidential election year.

During a very partisan year and a presidential election year … both for the sake of the court and the integrity of the court and the legitimacy of the candidate, it’s better to have this occur after we’re past this presidential election.”

2016, Senator Rob Portman (R-Ohio)
What you won't find in 2016 is anyone saying Garland wasn't qualified.   

Donald got it done where Obama couldn’t 
I still think it's a miscalculation for Trump.  He should have waited until after the election.  The GOP is spineless and would have voted her in either way but he could have used the boost from folks worried that they wouldn't.

I don't think things will be close enough where having a definitive conservative court will help his reelection.

:lmao:

love this schtick
What schtick? It's not schtick. I genuinely do not understand what you mean here. Both Obama and Trump nominated a viable candidate. The former McConnell didn't break for a vote and the latter he did - but neither was due to Trump doing somethat better than Obama. 

So, what are you talking about?

Things didn't go my way......change the rules! :lmao:
While I disagree with and would criticize the Biden admin for increasing the number of justices, it wouldn't be against and/or a changing of the rules for them to do it. 

I put it on par with McConnell not bringing Garland up for a vote. Both are very dirty and against the spirit of tradition and fundamental fairness, but neither is technically against the rules or a changing of the rules. 

What you also won't find in 2016 is anyone saying the same thing they are saying in 2020.
Not true, there were a few here who said it should be brought for a vote just as this was who also say that now.  I don't recall anyone saying no to both, but there were a few who wanted Garland to at least get a hearing.  Now confirmation is something different and I suspect we are in for a period of if your party's President doesn't do the nominating, respective senators won't be voting for them anymore.

Why stop at 13? Why not 25? Why not 2 per state? 

The problem with ‘expanding’ the court is that it will never end. Each time a party has a majority they’ll expand it as well. 
This is always going to be the case.  The pendulum always swings back.

This is always going to be the case.  The pendulum always swings back.
That's my biggest concern with all this.  Dems gotta suck it up and not act or retaliate by packing the bench.   I really don't like pushing through this confirmation.  But the GOP won the votes to have control and call the shots. 

Last edited by a moderator:
As others have said....had they just given garland hearings and a vote (theoretically giving him a chance to win over some GOP senators, even though that was obviously an incredible long shot) they could have pushed Barrett through and most wouldn't have complained. 

The Republicans 100 percent had the right to vote against him. I think its lame to vote against a qualified candidate for political reasons but they had that right. But not even allowing hearings was garbage and very short sighted. 

So all these quotes from Republican Senators in 2016 were before the Kavanaugh hearings. Can we assume the Democrats turning those hearings into a partisan witch hunt may have been a game changer?  Stooping to he said she said from a high school kegger was new ground.  

The Republicans probably wouldn’t get a Democrat vote if they nominated Jesus with a Harvard Law Degree.  

That's my biggest concern with all this.  Dems gotta suck it up and not act or retaliate by packing the bench.   I really don't like pushing through this confirmation.  But the GOP won the votes to have control and call the shots. 
And that seems to be what will happen to pack the courts...the Democrats will win the votes (this is assuming they take control), and set the policy and call the shots.

Can we talk about the actual SCt decision yesterday? It doesn’t make sense to me to not allow ballots that are postmarked before 11/3 but received after. 

Having said that, I’ve read a lot of articles on the decision and haven’t been able to find the language of the WI law. Does anyone have it?

Kavanaugh is getting a lot of criticism for his concurrence. I’d just like to know the statute before I can criticize or not. 

It's startling that the seating of a new Supreme Court justice literally instills fear in a good portion of the nation. 

And that fear is totally warranted. 

Can we talk about the actual SCt decision yesterday? It doesn’t make sense to me to not allow ballots that are postmarked before 11/3 but received after. 

Having said that, I’ve read a lot of articles on the decision and haven’t been able to find the language of the WI law. Does anyone have it?

Kavanaugh is getting a lot of criticism for his concurrence. I’d just like to know the statute before I can criticize or not. 
I think there's gonna be a lot of Scalia style "because I SAID SO" logic in the near future. 

Not true, there were a few here who said it should be brought for a vote just as this was who also say that now.  I don't recall anyone saying no to both, but there were a few who wanted Garland to at least get a hearing.  Now confirmation is something different and I suspect we are in for a period of if your party's President doesn't do the nominating, respective senators won't be voting for them anymore.
This is the answer,  Garland deserved to have a hearing.. If the GOP voted no for x reason then that would be on them to tell the American public.

But to not take up the Garland nomination, and then to rush ACB through is/was wrong.   And its why I am ok with the Dems expanding the court since, what was done by McConnell was dirty politics.   ACB is qualified no doubt about that.. just like Garland was qualified.  This process is not about the nominee's but about the process done by the GOP and McConnell.  

Users who are viewing this thread