What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Documentaries You've Seen ----> (2 Viewers)

Bump.  Looking for some new recommendations.

Watched American Factory last night - In post-industrial Ohio, a Chinese billionaire opens a new factory in the husk of an abandoned General Motors plant, hiring two thousand blue-collar Americans. Early days of hope and optimism give way to setbacks as high-tech China clashes with working-class America.  4/5
I watched that 30 years ago.
so weird ...first thing I thought of before I watched it.  

That factory is about 15-20 minutes from my house and that place was hummin' in the 60's, 70's, and early 80's when I grew up there.  My best friend helped build and maintain a lot of the equipment there.  My dad played softball against a bunch of their factory teams.  

The old joke was that Dayton, OH was built by all the hillbillies whose trucks broke down on their way to Detroit to get a car factory job.  

Dayton is a sad place these days and it doesn't look like it's getting any better.  Our world dominance ended a few years ago and most people don't even know it.  

appears that i've not posted my recommendation of The Seven Five in this thread.

amazing documentary

"Meet the dirtiest cop in New York City history. In the 1980s, Michael Dowd patrolled the mean streets of one of the toughest precincts in Brooklyn. He also headed a ruthless criminal network that stole money and drugs, ultimately resulting in the city's biggest ever corruption scandal."

appears that i've not posted my recommendation of The Seven Five in this thread.

amazing documentary

"Meet the dirtiest cop in New York City history. In the 1980s, Michael Dowd patrolled the mean streets of one of the toughest precincts in Brooklyn. He also headed a ruthless criminal network that stole money and drugs, ultimately resulting in the city's biggest ever corruption scandal."
This one is pretty good. Shocking and good.

On the President's Orders

"A searing, on-the-ground look at President Rodrigo Duterte’s deadly campaign against suspected drug dealers and users in the Philippines, “On the President’s Orders” is told with unprecedented access to the police themselves. It offers a gripping, visually stunning window into the war on drugs — those carrying it out, and those most impacted by it."

on PBS's Frontline last night. hooooooooooly ####. there are some disturbing moments. not for the faint of heart if you don't like seeing people die :(

some of the things the police are on film saying is truly chilling to the bone in the truest sense. 

Last Breath on Netflix is REALLY good. Really intense. Like, almost hard to watch at times because its so intense. 

A commercial diver becomes trapped on the ocean floor with dwindling oxygen and little hope of a timely rescue, so he tries to save himself.

Last Breath on Netflix is REALLY good. Really intense. Like, almost hard to watch at times because its so intense. 

A commercial diver becomes trapped on the ocean floor with dwindling oxygen and little hope of a timely rescue, so he tries to save himself.
As someone who got my open water certification just a few years ago and with only 10 or so dives under my belt, I really want to see this.  Yet part of me totally does NOT want to see it.  I can't imagine the nightmare it would be to go through that.

Thought I'd posted about the Diego Maradona doc, done by the guy who did Amy (winehouse).it's pretty great...although probably best for those interested in him or soccer. Rags to riches and fall, told through essentially no narration- just edited footage of the man, family, friends and old coverage- I found that method of telling the story interesting and really well done. 

"Bottle Shock" is about the 1976 Judgement of Paris blind wine tasting event that was won by Napa's Chateau Montelena Chardonnay, putting Napa on the global wine map. Featuring Alan Rickman. It does not come across as a documentary and they take quite a few Hollywood liberties but its still an entertaining show with some good 70's music. First half hour is quite slow but then it picks up. Should be able to stream on most services. 

trailer

Last edited by a moderator:
So I watched "The Seven Five" a couple weeks ago and highly recommend it.

Also watched @TheIronSheik, j.k., but there is one about The Iron Sheik himself called "The Sheik'". I followed wrestling back then and there was a lot of history even I didn't know. Very good work for sure. It's on Netflix.

Would like to suggest one called "Chuck Norris vs. Communism". It's on Prime and you'll need to turn on the subtitles because it's about Romania before the fall of the communist regime.

"Bottle Shock" is about the 1976 Judgement of Paris blind wine tasting event that was won by Napa's Chateau Montelena Chardonnay, putting Napa on the global wine map. Featuring Alan Rickman. It does not come across as a documentary and they take quite a few Hollywood liberties but its still an entertaining show with some good 70's music. First half hour is quite slow but then it picks up. Should be able to stream on most services. 

trailer
Another great one involving the wine industry is Sour Grapes. Fascinating, funny, and you get an inside look at Bill Koch’s spectacular wine cellar.

https://youtu.be/hPUYuwSRwB8

Have been through tons of documentaries and docu-series lately.  Here are ones that I have enjoyed

1.  The Ken burns series on country music was as great as expected.  Even if you aren't a country music fan

2.  AMC did a series called something like Hip Hop Songs that Changed the World and some really fun like Ladies First, the Queens/South Bronx "Bridge" feud, Jesus Walks, and others.  

3.  Showtime just did a documentary about Sonny Liston this week and man this guy's story is shady as hell and pretty fascinating.  Probably could have been much longer and I think there are a ton of stuff missing on it

4.  EPIX did a 4 part on the History of Punk which was fine for novice people but nothing most people didn't know already.  Funny watching them try to portray Green Day as punk.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Life Itself

Excellent documentary about Roger Ebert’s life. Really powerful documentary and I really enjoyed it. 4.5/5
Spring 1992, I'm running late for class as the elevator doors are closing someone put a hand in making me wait for a group of people.  Impatiently I wait when Rober Ebert entered. His flunky whispered his agenda and Ebert rolled his eyes and gave me a like, "Can you believe these dorks?"

Roger used to come to CU (The University of Colorado) every year for The Conference on World Affairs.  He was going to showcase the film Raging Bull that week.  I had never seen Raging Bull so I went and got a front row seat.

Let me repeat.

First time seeing Raging Bull and Roger Ebert is giving his first hand knowledge of the film while it plays.

AMAZING!

Hulu has "Minding the Gap" which came out in 2018. It spans several years in the life of 3 skateboarders in the decaying community of Rockford, Illinois. It's about skateboarding, abuse, poverty, post-industrial America, growing up, addiction, etc. It's an incredibly powerful film and one that I can see just about anyone enjoying. 

Trailer

After Truth: Disinformation and the Cost of Fake News

This documentary covers a bunch of recent conspiracy theories including pizzagate and explores the origins of “fake news”. It’s disturbing, but well done imo 4/5. 

a bunch of years before Stop Making Sense, RAI recorded the Talking Heads live in Italy (1980). if you like the Talking Heads, it's absolutely worth watching... all the same energy and joy as SMS, without any stage sets or costumes. Movie-wise, I wish they didn't just do closeups... I'd have loved to have seen the whole band play at once- especially with all that energy and joy on stage.

Started watching a doc about Handmade Films that PBS was running as part of their sponsor drive yesterday ...pythons and George Harrison...had no idea about any of it. Looking forward to watching the rest.

Some completely awesome documentaries:

1. Won't You Be My Neighbor?
2. Apollo 11
3. One More Time with Feeling
4. Jump Shot
5. Dear Zachary
6. Free Solo
7. Maiden
8. Honeyland
9. I Am Not Your Negro
10. The Beatles: Eight Days a Week

2.  AMC did a series called something like Hip Hop Songs that Changed the World and some really fun like Ladies First, the Queens/South Bronx "Bridge" feud, Jesus Walks, and others.  
Watching now. Thanks for this. This was going to be in my DI draft for '04 and '97.

78/52 Hitchcock’s Shower Scene

This documentary takes you through the infamous shower scene and the marvel that is Hitchcock. It is fascinating. 4/5

I saw Sour Grapes last week. It was definitely interesting, and will confirm your suspicions that wine snobs are pretty weird.

I really enjoyed both the Hulu and Netflix documentaries about Fyre Festival. I’m just starting Love Fraud on Showtime- I’ve heard good things about it.

I started this, 1/2 way through.  WTF!!!!   Wow....

Cults intrigue me as well.  Cannot understand how people get "sucked" into mass brainwashing.  
My  only criticism is that I would like to know more about Keith and Nancy (their backgrounds, motivation, etc.). The last 2 or 3 episodes did delve into Keith's personality and background more than earlier in the series, but not enough to explain why he did what he did and how he drew people into his orbit. Here's a good article discussing this aspect of the series (some spoilers so save it for after you finish the series):

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/hbo-s-vow-finale-promised-second-season-real-look-keith-ncna1243948

notoriousbill said:
I started this, 1/2 way through.  WTF!!!!   Wow....

Cults intrigue me as well.  Cannot understand how people get "sucked" into mass brainwashing.  
Politics forum might hold the answers you seek.   :P

But seriously, I am going to have to check this one out.  

Rewatched Dogtown and Z-boys last night with my daughter who is just getting into skateboarding. A great documentary. Killer soundtrack and great archival photos and video. So interesting to see how unique their style was back then. They truly started by surfing on sidewalks, using their hands on the pavement like they did steering in water and even rode barefoot sometimes. Ouch! Also watched All This Mayhem with her last week about the Pappas bros. Crazy and sad story. Both docs well worth watching even if not really into boarding.

The Seven Five. What a ride. They do an excellent job switching between the hearing and the cops
telling their stories. Then it's introducing the gangsters and internal affairs/Feds along with one of the
cops  wives. 

Watching these cops spiral out of control is fascinating. It hits hard when you realize this ain't a movie,
it's the real thing. 
yep, this is excellent. and to think it's only the story of the "most" corrupt precinct in NY during a small window of time. 

gives one pause

Industrial Accident: The Story of Wax Trax! Records

For any of you who loved the label like I did, this is the documentary for you. Good stuff. 4/5

Users who are viewing this thread