What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Houston Texans - (2 Viewers)

Not a fan. After all of the nonsense this team has given us fans the past few years we needed a splash hire and we pick a guy who’s never been a coordinator even?

I get he comes with a lot of experience, but this team needed some youth, not a 65 year old first time head coach. Totally bummed and I feel like we made a typical Texans hire. 

Supposedly he and Watson built a good rapport at the pro bowl last year, but I’m worried this seals the deal on Watson in Houston. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Romeo was 73, Culley 65, they really aren't serious about trying to keep DeShaun, that's a true gut punch to the fan base. 

I would pull the trigger tomorrow for whatever the Texans want or at least get razor close, obviously nobody has stepped up and swept them off their feet with a juicy offer...but who's to say?

As I stated in the beginning or have felt from the start, I wouldn't care if Watson wanted out, I wouldn't trade him if I owned the team and I would camp out in his world for a while until i could get things smoothed over. It's not just get Watson out of there, what free agents or college players are going to desire to want to play in Houston? They will never get a player with true heart if they keep this up. So sad what has happened there in such a short time. I haven't seen this kind of destruction since Wannstadt took over the Miami Dolphins. 

Interested in Texans fan opinions on new coach
I'm actually not. Those on the outside often have uninformed opinions on coaches, but especially those that come out of left field. There's plenty of reasons to be skeptical, but any informed opinion is months away from development.

I am an Arkansas Razorback alumni and I admit being a bit down a year ago when my school hired Sam Pittman to be Head Coach. At 58, he was very experienced as an OL coach and was known for his passion and love for coaching. I am not comparing him to any NFL hire as they are light years apart, but that off the radar hire has had positive impact on a downtrodden program.

I know that Houston has a great legacy and a lot of passionate fans here in the Pool and I am pulling for Culley to turn out well. He definitely has a tough road ahead and it is way more than just the Watson road block, which we have no idea how will turn out.

Rotoworld take:

Texans hired Ravens passing game coordinator David Culley to be their head coach.

Houston Chronicle's John McClain had it first. Culley's hiring comes out of nowhere. The 65-year-old assistant has been in the NFL since 1994, yet has never called plays. His tenure as a positional coach includes being the WR coach for a Chiefs offense that scored zero WR touchdowns, being the QB coach for Josh Allen's 10/12 TD/INT rookie season, and being the passing-game coordinator of the Ravens most recently. That plays into why Culley has never interviewed for a head coaching job outside of this one time in Houston. The attention immediately turns to how Deshaun Watson views Culley, who becomes the second minority coach to be hired this cycle. Watson wanted Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy to be considered, but he never seemed to be a serious candidate to Jack Easterby, GM Nick Caserio, and Cal McNair. Houston remains the epicenter of NFL drama heading into the offseason. Culley will have his hands full right away with the media, with his franchise quarterback, and with filling out a coaching staff. He's a respected leader within NFL circles, so perhaps he has success in a CEO-like role. Not every head coach needs to be the next offensive genius after all, and he may be able to relate to Watson.

RELATED: 

Baltimore Ravens

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Jan 27, 2021, 9:36 PM ET

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Texans are "targeting" Josh McCown and Lovie Smith as assistants.

The Texans were shredded for giving McCown a head-coaching interview over more qualified candidates, but all signs point to the former quarterback as being a future NFL coach. Being hired as a QBs coach or passing-game coordinator would be a reasonable start. Smith would bring a lot of experience to first-time head coach David Culley, and he's available after being fired by Illinois last December. The Texans have their offensive coordinator in Tim Kelly.

RELATED: 

Lovie Smith

, Houston Texans

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Jan 27, 2021, 10:38 PM ET

I am an Arkansas Razorback alumni and I admit being a bit down a year ago when my school hired Sam Pittman to be Head Coach. At 58, he was very experienced as an OL coach and was known for his passion and love for coaching. I am not comparing him to any NFL hire as they are light years apart, but that off the radar hire has had positive impact on a downtrodden program.

I know that Houston has a great legacy and a lot of passionate fans here in the Pool and I am pulling for Culley to turn out well. He definitely has a tough road ahead and it is way more than just the Watson road block, which we have no idea how will turn out.
Brian Flores was not the guy on the top of everyone's list either so I hear you on Culley. I still think that was not a great hire for them right now. 

I'm just at a loss for what to say. If this is a move that Deshaun was on board with and part of rebuilding trust and goodwill with him I guess it makes sense.  I'm not over failing to get Robert Saleh, especially as it sounds like he was someone Deshaun would have liked, and that I think could go on to be a great coach for many years to come.

I kind of wonder if this is getting someone they can use as a placeholder while they groom McCown who they seem to have really fallen in love with.

As a Texans fan though it's like every new development just leaves me more stunned at what they are doing. I... struggle to find words. :(

I've had a little more time to stew on this and this was my takeaways....

Pros

• 27 year vet, so he's seen it all and nothing should surprise him
  • Experience under some solid coaches and organizations - Ravens, Chiefs, Steelers
  • Apparently a "teaching" oriented kind of coach - he'll fix the foot position of an OL on an individual snap level detailed guy
  • Sounds very well loved in the coaching and players fraternity - execs and coaches effusing praise on him this morning and I started my day watching Keyshawn gush over how much he loved Culley as a coach
  • Apparently built a close relationship with Watson last year at the Pro Bowl - time will tell here
Cons

• First time head coach at 65 make me go  Hard to understand the big picture long term here (Is this to groom a young guy on the staff to take over in a few years? McCown?)
  • Never been a coordinator level at any stop (but to be fair, has been an assistant head coach multiple times)
  • When he coached the Chiefs as their WR position coach, it was the year no Chief WR caught a TD pass 
  • He coached the Ravens WRs last year and Baltimore was last in the league in passing 
  • He will apparently keep Tim Kelley as his OC, which means less "rah rah" injection into the team and not sure yet if that's going to go over well
Important, but I fully acknowledge I'm least equipped to speak to this - I'm happy to see the Texans also not just half-### Rooney rule their HC process like I feel like they did with the GM search. Between McNair's quotes a few years ago, the way they treated Hop, and then how they handled the GM search it felt like the good ol' boy network on full display. We legitimately sought out qualified minority candidates, gave second interviews to multiple minority candidates (Frazier, Bienemy, Caldwell, Culley) and ultimately hired only the 3rd AA head coach out of 32 in the league in Culley.

Overall, I am underwhelmed by this hire. I feel like the locker room needed a "rah rah" coach like Saleh or Bienemy would have been. Culley seems very understated, and while the above paragraph not to be understated - he seems very much like a "Texans hire" in that he is rather "safe." If he cannot save Watson, this is an even worse hire and will set us back even further than we already are.

I posted this in the Watson thread but to me the Culley hire is about Easterby and Caserio knowing they control the power and Culley is someone they don't view as a threat to that. Not saying Culley can't work out, but I do think that was their motivation.

I'm just at a loss for what to say. If this is a move that Deshaun was on board with and part of rebuilding trust and goodwill with him I guess it makes sense.  I'm not over failing to get Robert Saleh, especially as it sounds like he was someone Deshaun would have liked, and that I think could go on to be a great coach for many years to come.

I kind of wonder if this is getting someone they can use as a placeholder while they groom McCown who they seem to have really fallen in love with.

As a Texans fan though it's like every new development just leaves me more stunned at what they are doing. I... struggle to find words. :(
Dallas did similar when they groomed Ginger for a while behind Wade Phillips and then went on to a decade of success under Jason Garrett.  

I want to like the Texans, I have lived in houston for 8 years now and I feel sorry for kids now since I will raise them as Texans fans.

The owner needs to fire all the management and start over.

The thing that is the most strange about this is that he signed his new contract after the Hopkins trade debacle.
A lot of people keep bringing up the fact he signed his contract after the Hopkins trade and two things I'd say to that:

1. It was a lot of guaranteed money to turn down but most of all...

2. At the time it's possible, if not likely, Watson did not fully grasp the svengali powers of Easterby.

You are going to face Trevor Lawrence twice a year for the rest of your adult lives. 
:shrug:  We had Peyton Manning twice a year for the first decade. We were supposed to have Luck twice a year for the next decade but that didn’t quite work out. Only potential silver lining is Lawrence going to JAX, they are one of the handful of organizations that could totally ruin Lawrence. If I was him I’d be trying my hardest to pull an Eli.

Watt and Watson traded seems inevitable now. This feels like a “safe” figurehead type move for Caserio and Easterby as someone else said where we’ll be right back where we started again in 3-5 years when Cal McNair maybe finally wises up to how he flushed this team down the toilet.

Seems like a long, long time ago we met at preseason practice to watch the team together. Houston sports are just so depressing right now, Astros WS win tainted by cheating, Rockets almost as big a mess as the Texans. I’ve been in Denver now for 5 years, might be time I start following some other teams until the Texans clean house, including new ownership (which will probably never happen.)

I want to like the Texans, I have lived in houston for 8 years now and I feel sorry for kids now since I will raise them as Texans fans.

The owner needs to fire all the management and start over.
The Owner is the problem with his willingness to cede so much power to a former chaplain turned executive with no clear definition of his responsibilities

I don't understand this move. On the face, this seems like they are sort of trying to keep Deshaun by hiring a coach who he has a good relationship with, and reportedly keeping Tim Kelley as OC, who he performed well under last season after O'Brien got fired. Also, odds are good they bring in McCown as a QB coach, who would work well with Deshaun. Yet, reportedly Casserio has not talked to Deshaun yet. If you want to keep him, then go all in and make him feel wanted. If Deshaun does get traded, Culley/Kelley are not who I would be starting a rebuilding franchise with. So again, are these moves to keep Deshaun or not? I really don't know.

I don't understand this move. On the face, this seems like they are sort of trying to keep Deshaun by hiring a coach who he has a good relationship with, and reportedly keeping Tim Kelley as OC, who he performed well under last season after O'Brien got fired. Also, odds are good they bring in McCown as a QB coach, who would work well with Deshaun. Yet, reportedly Casserio has not talked to Deshaun yet. If you want to keep him, then go all in and make him feel wanted. If Deshaun does get traded, Culley/Kelley are not who I would be starting a rebuilding franchise with. So again, are these moves to keep Deshaun or not? I really don't know.
That, in a nutshell, is what is wrong with this franchise. There is no direction whatsoever and even we fans can see exactly what you're seeing - these feel like moves akin to appeasing Deshaun and yet if you believe Shefter he asked out no matter what two weeks ago. If that's the case, I have no idea why Kelley is even being considered as retained?

You know what - I’d be curious for some reporter to ask Culley what the brass told him about the Watson situation. It wouldn’t surprise me one bit if they told him they felt good about it, with only hours later it comes out Watson wanted out a while ago. Can you imagine the chaos if that’s news to Culley?

So my biggest fear is that Easterby really is Cal's boy who can't be touched and has significant say in top level decisions. If so, I would not be surprised if these moves are made to tank for a few years, Culley is a disposable coach who will be gone in 3 years, and that McCown is the guy Easterby wants as head coach and he will be groomed to take over in 3 years because he is a good Christian man.

The only thing that gives me pause about that theory is Casserio. He has just worked with Bill Belichick and knows what being part of a winning organization is about. Why we he want to be working with (or for) Cal McNair and Jack Easterby who look like they are a couple of buffoons. Baffling.

Buckna said:
:shrug:  We had Peyton Manning twice a year for the first decade. We were supposed to have Luck twice a year for the next decade but that didn’t quite work out. Only potential silver lining is Lawrence going to JAX, they are one of the handful of organizations that could totally ruin Lawrence. If I was him I’d be trying my hardest to pull an Eli.
How did that work out? Honestly...

The Texans have been dead to me for years but Watson was the flicker of hope that made them interesting despite O'Brien.  I'm not sure what's there to root for once Watson and Watt go.  It's definitely not the front office and ownership.  They've done everything possible to alienate any concerning fan  :kicksrock:

Edit: no point in being argumentative. I simply meant we’re used to having once a generation QB’s in our division seemingly every generation. No need to kick us while we’re down.
You won't find a softer shoulder to cry on than mine, it disgusts me what is happening thru ownership and front office, there's no way to hide it. FTR, I think Miami has one of the bottom 5 franchise-owners in the league and at some point he will prove me right again and again like he has already. 

:thumbup:  You've been a long time supporter of most things the Ministry writes, please not kicking you when you're down, promise. 

You won't find a softer shoulder to cry on than mine, it disgusts me what is happening thru ownership and front office, there's no way to hide it. FTR, I think Miami has one of the bottom 5 franchise-owners in the league and at some point he will prove me right again and again like he has already. 

:thumbup:  You've been a long time supporter of most things the Ministry writes, please not kicking you when you're down, promise. 
At least y’all finally got Brady out of there, and with our extra picks hopefully sets you up for some nice success. Unfortunately the Bills are back being good too though. If Watson ends up in NY, that will be a very tough division with ironically the Patriots at the bottom!

At least y’all finally got Brady out of there, and with our extra picks hopefully sets you up for some nice success. Unfortunately the Bills are back being good too though. If Watson ends up in NY, that will be a very tough division with ironically the Patriots at the bottom!
Again FTR, MoP is only interested in Watson because I truly feel he would put Miami into the Top 4 I would say in the AFC, Kansas City is untouchable, the Bills look amazing in general, after that it's open season...sure the Titans, Steelers, Ravens but a strong QB and offense would even the playing field is all I am saying. 

Purely selfish reasons for Watson and I have been very slow to even speak out because I think it's cruel to the fan base to root openly for a franchise like QB but that is where we are right now. If you believe ESPN and the NFLN and Colin Blowhard...

dhockster said:
The only thing that gives me pause about that theory is Casserio. He has just worked with Bill Belichick and knows what being part of a winning organization is about. Why we he want to be working with (or for) Cal McNair and Jack Easterby who look like they are a couple of buffoons. Baffling.
Power and control would be my answer to your question.

Here is my thing on Easterby. I don't know the guy and for all I know some of the terrible stories coming out about him are absolutely unwarranted hit pieces. But even if the stories are fabrication, even if I can brush aside his curious rise to seemingly being McNair's right hand man what seems obvious is he's got McNair's loyalty.  True of not perception is reality sometimes and the easy thing to do, what I think most owners would do, is cut ties with someone who is not exactly indispensable. Especially when his role might possibly be a big part of what led to a bad relationship with the franchise QB.

Instead after the SI story and others ran all we've seen Cal do is double down on Easterby. Publicly saying his job was safe and hiring the GM that Easterby always wanted.

Easterby is in like flynn and I believe Cal is about as hands off as any owner going right now on day to day football operations.

It's my strong opinion that we have a situation here were Easterby truly has a TON of power and sway.  He has positioned himself as Cal's best friend,  spiritual advisor, right hand man and main advisor on major team decisions that go beyond player personnel decisions. That part was left for Casserio.

Again I got no proof on any of this but I just think Easterby let Casserio know he had the power, he had the owners ear, knew he could work well with Casserio and what he was able to promise and convery to him was that if he took over Texans GM job he could have free reign to make moves without worrying very much about  meddlesome owners. In many ways I believe the Easterby/Casserio duo will be running the Texans like they own them.

I'd just add this Easterby fellow is kind of amazing and I mean that. I feel like this guy could do  just about anything he wanted, just turns out running a pro football team is what he wants.

Power and control would be my answer to your question.

Here is my thing on Easterby. I don't know the guy and for all I know some of the terrible stories coming out about him are absolutely unwarranted hit pieces. But even if the stories are fabrication, even if I can brush aside his curious rise to seemingly being McNair's right hand man what seems obvious is he's got McNair's loyalty.  True of not perception is reality sometimes and the easy thing to do, what I think most owners would do, is cut ties with someone who is not exactly indispensable. Especially when his role might possibly be a big part of what led to a bad relationship with the franchise QB.

Instead after the SI story and others ran all we've seen Cal do is double down on Easterby. Publicly saying his job was safe and hiring the GM that Easterby always wanted.

Easterby is in like flynn and I believe Cal is about as hands off as any owner going right now on day to day football operations.

It's my strong opinion that we have a situation here were Easterby truly has a TON of power and sway.  He has positioned himself as Cal's best friend,  spiritual advisor, right hand man and main advisor on major team decisions that go beyond player personnel decisions. That part was left for Casserio.

Again I got no proof on any of this but I just think Easterby let Casserio know he had the power, he had the owners ear, knew he could work well with Casserio and what he was able to promise and convery to him was that if he took over Texans GM job he could have free reign to make moves without worrying very much about  meddlesome owners. In many ways I believe the Easterby/Casserio duo will be running the Texans like they own them.

I'd just add this Easterby fellow is kind of amazing and I mean that. I feel like this guy could do  just about anything he wanted, just turns out running a pro football team is what he wants.
Interesting take. Two things I would question though: Most GM's have the power over who the head coach is. I have a hard time believing that Casserio wanted to pick a coach who looks like a placeholder and has no power over selecting his coaching staff. Culley sounds like Easterby's selection for head coach, which to me indicates Casserio doesn't have that much power and control. Plus, I can't see any reasonable GM thinking that trading away your young, top 5 franchise QB is a good way to start building your team. This coaching selection seems to be pushing Casserio to have to do that.

The other thing I question is your take that Easterby is amazing. I think he is definitely charismatic, but I have listened to him answer questions in a press conference, and he answers them like a politician. He answers the question he wants to answer and not the question he was asked. I find that very unauthentic, especially from a man who represents himself as a very Christian man. Unfortunately, I think Cal McNair is totally enamored (brainwashed?) by him, and basically is following his gameplan. From what I have seen so far, that is not a winning gameplan.

Interesting take. Two things I would question though: Most GM's have the power over who the head coach is. I have a hard time believing that Casserio wanted to pick a coach who looks like a placeholder and has no power over selecting his coaching staff. Culley sounds like Easterby's selection for head coach, which to me indicates Casserio doesn't have that much power and control. Plus, I can't see any reasonable GM thinking that trading away your young, top 5 franchise QB is a good way to start building your team. This coaching selection seems to be pushing Casserio to have to do that.
With all due respect I see things almost 180 from you on most of these items.

I think what any GM wants first and foremost is control over the personnel of the franchise. McNair is not very hands on with football decisions, which we just saw with BOB doing whatever he wanted. Some GM's are more GM in name only, it's the head coach who either makes the move or is supplying the grocery list. Lynch, Mayock come to mind. Culley does not remotely wield that kind of power of a Shanahan or Gruden.

I'm not sure what you mean about power over selecting his coaching staff? I think most GM's would actually prefer to be able to do that and I've not heard anything suggesting Casserio or Easterby won't be involved in helping him fill out the staff.

As for being a placeholder. I  don't think anyone feels like this team is ready to compete anytime soon and for sure if Watson is traded it's a tear down. What matters right now is building a positive culture on a team most reports indicate sorely lacks this right now. In Culley they got a head coach known to relate to players and I think he is viewed by Casserrio as someone who can help build a positive culture. I think he's Casserio and Easterby's choice, or at least best choice who would accept the job.

As for Casserrio wanting to trade away his top QB who said he wanted to? I think most GM's love picks and Watson will bring a bounty of picks like never before seen so he can probably adjust on his plans but I've heard nothing to suggest he wants to trade Watson as much as Watson is trying to force his way out.

Finally whoever they hired as head coach had no bearing on Watson wanting a trade. This has been reported by Shefter multiple times. And when did it become public that Watson was not happy in Houston? When Casserrio got hired is when. That's because DeShaun knew who had the power and ear of the owner because Casserrio has been Easterby's guy he wanted going all the way back to last year when the Texan got tampering charges filed against them.

The other thing I question is your take that Easterby is amazing. I think he is definitely charismatic, but I have listened to him answer questions in a press conference, and he answers them like a politician. He answers the question he wants to answer and not the question he was asked. I find that very unauthentic, especially from a man who represents himself as a very Christian man. Unfortunately, I think Cal McNair is totally enamored (brainwashed?) by him, and basically is following his gameplan. From what I have seen so far, that is not a winning gameplan.

I think you are not getting what I'm saying about Easterby being amazing. He's not for me and I don't disagree with anything you are saying here, none of it, I feel like I know his type and it's so not for me. But I don't have have to like or agree with someone to recognize what they accomplished.

So  read that last line or two above you just wrote. This guy started as youth pastor, wanted to work in the NFL and now by your own words he's got the owner of the team enamored or brainwashed by him and following his gameplan and who you would agree holds considerable power. Easterby had a goal and he seems to have pulled off the impossible considering his lack of credentials. To me that's amazing and he can rise up this high in a profession he has no real reason or skills I tend to think if he put his mind to it he could do this in a whole lot of other ventures.

With all due respect I see things almost 180 from you on most of these items.

I think what any GM wants first and foremost is control over the personnel of the franchise. McNair is not very hands on with football decisions, which we just saw with BOB doing whatever he wanted. Some GM's are more GM in name only, it's the head coach who either makes the move or is supplying the grocery list. Lynch, Mayock come to mind. Culley does not remotely wield that kind of power of a Shanahan or Gruden.

I'm not sure what you mean about power over selecting his coaching staff? I think most GM's would actually prefer to be able to do that and I've not heard anything suggesting Casserio or Easterby won't be involved in helping him fill out the staff.

As for being a placeholder. I  don't think anyone feels like this team is ready to compete anytime soon and for sure if Watson is traded it's a tear down. What matters right now is building a positive culture on a team most reports indicate sorely lacks this right now. In Culley they got a head coach known to relate to players and I think he is viewed by Casserrio as someone who can help build a positive culture. I think he's Casserio and Easterby's choice, or at least best choice who would accept the job.

As for Casserrio wanting to trade away his top QB who said he wanted to? I think most GM's love picks and Watson will bring a bounty of picks like never before seen so he can probably adjust on his plans but I've heard nothing to suggest he wants to trade Watson as much as Watson is trying to force his way out.

Finally whoever they hired as head coach had no bearing on Watson wanting a trade. This has been reported by Shefter multiple times. And when did it become public that Watson was not happy in Houston? When Casserrio got hired is when. That's because DeShaun knew who had the power and ear of the owner because Casserrio has been Easterby's guy he wanted going all the way back to last year when the Texan got tampering charges filed against them.

I think you are not getting what I'm saying about Easterby being amazing. He's not for me and I don't disagree with anything you are saying here, none of it, I feel like I know his type and it's so not for me. But I don't have have to like or agree with someone to recognize what they accomplished.

So  read that last line or two above you just wrote. This guy started as youth pastor, wanted to work in the NFL and now by your own words he's got the owner of the team enamored or brainwashed by him and following his gameplan and who you would agree holds considerable power. Easterby had a goal and he seems to have pulled off the impossible considering his lack of credentials. To me that's amazing and he can rise up this high in a profession he has no real reason or skills I tend to think if he put his mind to it he could do this in a whole lot of other ventures.
Will just have to disagree on Casserio.

As for the second point, yes, the fact that Easterby has gotten as high as he has on very little accomplishments or resume is unbelievable, as most con jobs are. I can't use the word amazing, because to me, it has a positive connotation, and I don't see what Easterby has done as a positive thing. But I think you and I are basically agreeing, just using different words.

Will just have to disagree on Casserio.

As for the second point, yes, the fact that Easterby has gotten as high as he has on very little accomplishments or resume is unbelievable, as most con jobs are. I can't use the word amazing, because to me, it has a positive connotation, and I don't see what Easterby has done as a positive thing. But I think you and I are basically agreeing, just using different words.
Sounds like an Eric Mangini situation from the con job angle. 

I do think there is a good chance that the Texans are actually going to try to keep Deshaun Watson based on the following:

1. It makes more sense to keep the top 5 QB you have than gamble on a potential franchise QB that may bust. I know common sense has not been one of the strengths of the Texans recently, but I am going to give Casserio the benefit of the doubt until he proves me otherwise.

2. Casserio has just worked with Bill Belichick for 20 years in an organization that was known for playing hardball with their players, and most of the time it worked as evidenced by their amazing success over those 20 years. I have a hard time seeing Casserio give into a player on the first go around since this will set the tone for the rest of the roster.

3. With the new CBA, Deshaun Watson faces a very stiff penalty if he holds out. He may still be willing to do that, but it is going to cost him if he does. So he really doesn't have a whole lot of leverage, other than public sentiment, and the Texans haven't shown they care too much about that.

4. The Texans are $17 million over the projected cap right now. If they trade Deshaun it will actually add about $6 to their cap number for 2021, putting themselves $23 million over the cap.

5. The coaching hires: bringing in David Culley and keeping Tim Kelly make a lot more sense if they are keeping Deshaun Watson than if they are trading him.

While I think there is a good chance they try to keep Deshaun, at this point, I would not be shocked with whatever the Texans do. They seem like they have gotten themselves stuck in a quagmire of ineptitude.

From Rotoworld:

JACK EASTERBY, HOUSTON TEXANS

The Bench 97.5's Lance Zierlein reports Texans executive Jack Easterby is "still making calls to agents on behalf of the team and is very much involved in the football side."

In other words, chaplain, character coach, etc. Easterby is still behaving like a football guy/general manager. Easterby and the Texans had claimed this would not be the case after Nick Caserio was hired to lead the front office. Every Texans fire over the past 18 months has originated from Easterby's office, and he seems intent on starting more. Letting a character coach essentially run the organization into the ground is one of the more baffling, surreal front office developments we have seen in North American sports this century. The Texans need to get this fixed if they are to have even a one percent chance of keeping Deshaun Watson.

3. With the new CBA, Deshaun Watson faces a very stiff penalty if he holds out. He may still be willing to do that, but it is going to cost him if he does. So he really doesn't have a whole lot of leverage, other than public sentiment, and the Texans haven't shown they care too much about that.
Jalen Ramsey.  Same agent. 

Watson seems unlikely to hand the Texans leverage by holding out and costing himself money. 

It seems much more likely that he shows up but doesn't play, like Ramsey.  At this point I would say he's more likely to take the field and hand the ball to the other team to spite the Texans than he is to hand the Texans leverage by holding out and staying away while paying fines and not getting paid 

If people hink the Texans can keep him without his consent I think they are not factoring in the power a QB has both off the field and on it.  QB is the defacto leader of the team on and off the field.  Imagine completely toxic meetings and the leader of the team obviously not caring.  Zero chance of building any culture until that situation ends.  Let alone the embarrassment of paying him to sit the sidelines or turn the ball over on purpose (which doesn't need to happen because just the threat of it is enough). 

If you are interested in this sort of thing there is a decent chance this is the burner account for Caserio: https://twitter.com/JohnCPrepper98

ETA people who know Caserio say this is not him, but many people think it's Easterby or one of his lietenants, it's someone plugged in for sure.

I do think there is a good chance that the Texans are actually going to try to keep Deshaun Watson based on the following:

1. It makes more sense to keep the top 5 QB you have than gamble on a potential franchise QB that may bust. I know common sense has not been one of the strengths of the Texans recently, but I am going to give Casserio the benefit of the doubt until he proves me otherwise.

2. Casserio has just worked with Bill Belichick for 20 years in an organization that was known for playing hardball with their players, and most of the time it worked as evidenced by their amazing success over those 20 years. I have a hard time seeing Casserio give into a player on the first go around since this will set the tone for the rest of the roster.

4. The Texans are $17 million over the projected cap right now. If they trade Deshaun it will actually add about $6 to their cap number for 2021, putting themselves $23 million over the cap.

5. The coaching hires: bringing in David Culley and keeping Tim Kelly make a lot more sense if they are keeping Deshaun Watson than if they are trading him.

While I think there is a good chance they try to keep Deshaun, at this point, I would not be shocked with whatever the Texans do. They seem like they have gotten themselves stuck in a quagmire of ineptitude.
Excellent!

I think there needs to be more acceptance from the media and even fans that he is likely staying no matter how much he complains and tries to find his way out of Houston. He can not show up and perhaps the Texans need to be buyers in the back up QB market but you cannot just trade this guy for a couple draft picks and move on. It's gonna have to play out and you have to see if Watson has the intestinal fortitude to ride out what he is claiming to the end. I can't see him not playing and not showing up once the Texans start camp.

-The Texans are ultimately going to have get tough with the media and guys like Adam Schefter trying to work the trade for them on his Twitter account so he can "Break the News"

Rumor Mill in Miami is hot this morning and here is what is being pushed around...

Xavien Howard wants a significant pay raise a couple seasons after signing a $75M deal and he was the highest paid at the time, he's still the 5th Highest...love the guy a lot but 10 Interceptions is a career year, hate to lose him but also don't want a malcontent and he saw how Minkah found his way out of here. 

Howard, Tua, the 1.18, and Miami's 2022 1st Round pick...some folks might actually think that is way too much but I'll trade a DB for a QB any day, and if Tua were worth anything we wouldn't be discussing this as much so I'm not even sure what his value is but its more than Josh Rosen going into his 2nd year before they took Murray, he was a complete disaster. 

Rumor Mill in Miami is hot this morning and here is what is being pushed around...

Xavien Howard wants a significant pay raise a couple seasons after signing a $75M deal and he was the highest paid at the time, he's still the 5th Highest...love the guy a lot but 10 Interceptions is a career year, hate to lose him but also don't want a malcontent and he saw how Minkah found his way out of here. 

Howard, Tua, the 1.18, and Miami's 2022 1st Round pick...some folks might actually think that is way too much but I'll trade a DB for a QB any day, and if Tua were worth anything we wouldn't be discussing this as much so I'm not even sure what his value is but its more than Josh Rosen going into his 2nd year before they took Murray, he was a complete disaster. 
Howard has been excellent almost from day 1. But he has had multiple procedures on his knees. And that domestic incident. Something else to consider. Also, it's not easy to evaluate CBs in the draft. Howard was the #6 CB selected in the 2016 draft, while Miami's first round CB selection in 2020 hasn't been active in most games.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2019/12/20/dolphins-cornerback-xavien-howard-undergoes-knee-surgery/amp/

From what I heard Watsons lastest beef is not with the new coach or GM is that McNair had a meeting with Watson about what direction to go at GM and HC and then totally disregarded what Watson said.   That was McNairs mistake.  Should have never asked for his opinion.

Steven A and Bart Scott liked the Culley as HC hire as did other players who have played for him.  As far as the GM is the players should have no input on that position.   

Users who are viewing this thread