What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Hunter Henry, NE (2 Viewers)

What are we to do with him??

Sites had him as the #5 ranked TE this week.
Ideally, trade him off of the positive press of a good week? Henry is talented but SD is badly coached. And this season it seems like there is so little difference in TE after the top 3 that rankings probably don't mean much. If you were good at it, you could stream and beat his production usually.

Ideally, trade him off of the positive press of a good week? Henry is talented but SD is badly coached. And this season it seems like there is so little difference in TE after the top 3 that rankings probably don't mean much. If you were good at it, you could stream and beat his production usually.
Anyone who claims to be good at streaming TE production is lying.

Of note, Henry was not on the field on the Chargers' futile final drive until the last two plays.  His use is inexplicable.

The only hope I harbor is that the Chargers will use him more heavily when they are out of the race.

Of note, Henry was not on the field on the Chargers' futile final drive until the last two plays.  His use is inexplicable.

The only hope I harbor is that the Chargers will use him more heavily when they are out of the race.
His role won't change until Gates goes. It's really obnoxious honestly. Talk about a veteran overstaying his welcome.

What has happened here?  Worst pick of my draft.  Really hoping Olsen is about to come back.  The wire has nothing.

What has happened here?  Worst pick of my draft.  Really hoping Olsen is about to come back.  The wire has nothing.
Bad coaching is most of it, bad luck is some of it. He was targeted twice in the end zone yesterday but did not connect.

Bad coaching is most of it, bad luck is some of it. He was targeted twice in the end zone yesterday but did not connect.
About 99% of it.

It's really one of the worst uses of a player I can recall, ever. It would be one thing if he was limited a blocker. He's not all world but he's good blocker, he is a complete TE. So why you would remove him on so many downs will never make sense.  The worst is removing him in red zone packages in light of how effective he's been in that area. I know he's not at Gronk's level but could you imagine someone like Bellichick using him like the Chargers have? I can't.

When they utilize him they usually win, they have lost every game he has failed to get more than 3 targets, 4-1 otherwise. They have only lost two games when has played more than 40 snaps but one of those games he got zero targets and two in the other one.

I feel no worse about his talent level then I did coming into the season.

believe it or not he started for me.  but my te situation is awful
I dropped last week for alright...worked out.  Had Olsen stashed for a couple weeks...then this week hav Doyle as someone had dropped him during Bye weeks. 

Definately not worried in the long run about this year (redraft obviously)

I dropped last week for alright...worked out.  Had Olsen stashed for a couple weeks...then this week hav Doyle as someone had dropped him during Bye weeks. 

Definately not worried in the long run about this year (redraft obviously)
I'm still holding reed :sadbanana:

Hunter Henry caught 5-of-5 targets for 76 yards and a touchdown in the Chargers' Week 12 Thanksgiving win over the Cowboys.

Per beat reporter Jack Wang's calculations, the Chargers are now 5-1 in games where Henry draws at least five targets and 0-5 when he doesn't. Los Angeles' coaching staff decisions with regard to Henry's usage have been egregious all year, but the sophomore tight end has remained one of the NFL's most-efficient pass catchers. Henry will continue to be a boom-bust TE1 option, even in a plum Week 13 draw against the Browns.

Nov 23 - 7:36 PM

I'm curious what others are thinking about Hunter from a dynasty/keeper perspective. Obviously Rivers isn't getting any younger, and Keenan will be there for at least one more year as the likely primary target.

However, I didn't realize or fully remember that this is Hunter's age 22 season. Given his production at such a young age (when involved), he seems like the type that I may overlook situational issues and hope the talent wins out. Just curious how others view this.

I’d love to see some advanced analytics on Gates and Henry this year.  Just from my untrained eyes, the snap split should be 80-20 Henry.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d love to see some advanced analytics on Gates and Henry this year.  Just from my untrained eyes, the snap split should be 80-20 Henry.  
Current PFF grades through yesterday's game:

Henry:

• 85.3 overall on 468 snaps - #2T TE (tied with Gronk, behind Kelce)
  • 81.4 receiving on 232 snaps - #5 TE
  • 80.7 run blocking on 216 snaps - #5 TE
  • 67.6 pass blocking on 20 snaps - #15 TE
Gates:

• 55.2 overall on 326 snaps - #33 TE
  • 61.1 receiving on 223 snaps - #43 TE
  • 55.4 run blocking on 89 snaps - #58 TE
  • 51.8 pass blocking on 14 snaps - #67 TE
The snaps above from PFF don't match the snaps at PFR, so there may be slight variance there. The chargers have had somewhere between 682 (PFR team page) and 715 (PFR offensive snap counts for Rivers and Clemens) plays. Maybe the difference is penalties...?

Anyway, PFR says Henry has played on 64.3% of offensive snaps, Gates 47.8%.

I don't find it problematic that Gates has played the snaps shown here. I do think Henry's snaps should be higher, whether that is at Gates' expense or not. The biggest problem is that Henry only has 44 targets in 11 games, and he had fewer than 5 targets in 5 of those games. That is the part that is unacceptable.

I'm curious what others are thinking about Hunter from a dynasty/keeper perspective.
I'd have him as the #2 dynasty TE myself.
IMO he is clear cut top 5, somewhere in the mix with Kelce, Gronk, Ertz, and Engram. There is a case to rank him #1 IMO, given the ages of Kelce (28), Gronk (28.5), and Ertz (27). Henry turns 23 in a couple weeks.

I would rank him no lower than #3, but I may suffer from :homer: bias.

IMO he is clear cut top 5, somewhere in the mix with Kelce, Gronk, Ertz, and Engram. There is a case to rank him #1 IMO, given the ages of Kelce (28), Gronk (28.5), and Ertz (27). Henry turns 23 in a couple weeks.

I would rank him no lower than #3, but I may suffer from :homer: bias.
That would be my top 5 as well and I would not think it crazy for someone to rank those in any order they saw fit. I tend to be more youth driven so that would be major reason I'd have Engram and Henry as my top 2 and I think it would shock no one if either of them were the #1 fantasy TE next season so it's not like youth you need to wait on.

I'm glad this question came up.  I'm a pretty big fan of his.  I think his floor his pretty high for a 22 year old tight end.  He'd have to underachieve mightily to be anything but a top 7-8 tight end for the next decade.  I am in one league, and it's a dynasty, so that skews my thoughts some.  With that said, I kind of look at Gronk and Kelce as being of similar talent and value, and then view Henry and Engram as being similar in talent and value.  But I think those are the easy top four tight ends in the game.  I respect anyone who wants to make a case for Zach Ertz, and there are probably others, but to try to sum up my take, Henry's going to be a super reliable tight end whose career arch may look comparable to Kelce's.

I'm curious what others are thinking about Hunter from a dynasty/keeper perspective. Obviously Rivers isn't getting any younger, and Keenan will be there for at least one more year as the likely primary target.

However, I didn't realize or fully remember that this is Hunter's age 22 season. Given his production at such a young age (when involved), he seems like the type that I may overlook situational issues and hope the talent wins out. Just curious how others view this.
I like him a lot in that scenario. Eventually Rivers will go and Henry will probably serve as that TE safety blanket of River's young successor.

I can't help but feel like the more they lose, the quicker Rivers goes too. Don't forget he didn't wanna come to LA to begin with. Losing just gives him another reason.

he's #3 in FF pts and #2 in yards the last three weeks.

i feel like he's finally right around that top 5 TE status that a lot of us owners were hoping for, especially with a matchup against the chiefs next week.

Chargers placed TE Hunter Henry (kidney) on injured reserve, ending his season.

OG Brett Boyko was signed off the practice squad in the corresponding move. Henry suffered a small kidney laceration in Saturday's loss to Kansas City. Henry took a step forward in his sophomore season, securing 45-of-63 targets for 579 yards and four touchdowns over 14 appearances. Without him, the Chargers will turn to veteran Antonio Gates at tight end.

Source: chargers.com 

Dec 19 - 5:29 PM

Weird, wildly uneven season. Had spells where they used him a lot and he produced, and just as often, whole games where he barely featured at all. Bizarre usage, almost like he was an RB and Andy Reid was his coach. Wouldn't know what to project for next season.

not the kids fault....they had to get stupid Gates the record....
Even after the record he had some weird games. I get that Allen is the man there, and Gordon is going to get his 20 + touches a game, but he should average 8 targets a week. There were also some games were the game script should have 10ish targets and he would get 2 or 3. 

So I was stuck with Henry as my best option on a team in the championship game now, couldn't trade for an upgrade before the deadline and have crap backing him up (seriously--O'Leary and IR'd Bennett). 

Is Gates a viable TE2 next week, leading up to his likely retirement (obviously heavily TD-reliant)? 

Only other option on waivers is Garrett Celek vs Jags.

Anyone else have this really specific problem? 

That had nothing to do with it. Gates took sole possession of the TE TD record with his first TD in week 2. 
Gates still played to many snaps at HH's expense after the record. The fact remains it was not his fault, he was productive when called upon and only reason he was not called upon more was bad coaching.

Gates still played to many snaps at HH's expense after the record. The fact remains it was not his fault, he was productive when called upon and only reason he was not called upon more was bad coaching.
I agree. I was simply saying that getting Gates the record was not a significant factor. 

I think one thing that is being overlooked is how slow Hunter Henry is.  When you watch him play it is painful.  Some players play faster than they are but Henry plays slower than he really is and looks like he is running in mud all the time.   I believe Rivers trusts Gates and always knows where he will be so he plays.  Henry has flashed some amazing plays, but overall he is just an average TE.

CaptainJT said:
I think one thing that is being overlooked is how slow Hunter Henry is.  When you watch him play it is painful.  Some players play faster than they are but Henry plays slower than he really is and looks like he is running in mud all the time.   I believe Rivers trusts Gates and always knows where he will be so he plays.  Henry has flashed some amazing plays, but overall he is just an average TE.

same 40 time as gronkowski and ertz...

there's a few TEs who are faster, sure, but i dont see the "slow" thing.

CaptainJT said:
Could not disagree with this more. Consider:

• Out of 150 TEs graded for the season to date, PFF grades Henry as the #3 overall TE, #4 at receiving, and #5 at run blocking.
  • Out of 47 TEs with minimum 25 passes, Football Outsiders ranks Henry #4 in DYAR (total value), #5 in DVOA (value per play), and #4 in EYds (yards per attempt).
His efficiency is strong:

• #5 in production premium
  • #7 in target premium
  • #5 in yards per target
  • #6 in yards per pass route
  • #4 in catch rate
  • #3 in QB rating when targeted
None of that profiles as a player who is slow, "running in mud," or average. The issue is that the Chargers didn't use him enough:

• #28 in snap share, playing just 67.9% of offensive snaps
  • #15 in targets
  • #16 in target share
  • #16 in red zone target share
  • #14 in end zone target share
That should change in 2018. Gates played 42% of the offensive snaps this season and has 38 targets, and he will be gone. So Henry's snaps and targets should increase going forward. Given the efficiency he has already demonstrated, IMO he is a top 5 TE going forward.

• Out of 150 TEs graded for the season to date, PFF grades Henry as the #3 overall TE, #4 at receiving, and #5 at run blocking.
  • Out of 47 TEs with minimum 25 passes, Football Outsiders ranks Henry #4 in DYAR (total value), #5 in DVOA (value per play), and #4 in EYds (yards per attempt).
To add on, on 53 targets in 2016 (Hunter had 62 targets in '17), Hunter put up pretty much the same efficiency stast with Football Outsiders.  For tight ends, #6 in DYAR and #3 in DVOA.  He finished #12 in EYards, which is pretty impressive with such a low target total.

In other words, we have two years of stats that lend credence to this being a trend.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/te2016

His efficiency is strong:

• #5 in production premium
  • #7 in target premium
  • #5 in yards per target
  • #6 in yards per pass route
  • #4 in catch rate
  • #3 in QB rating when targeted
None of that profiles as a player who is slow, "running in mud," or average. The issue is that the Chargers didn't use him enough:

• #28 in snap share, playing just 67.9% of offensive snaps
  • #15 in targets
  • #16 in target share
  • #16 in red zone target share
  • #14 in end zone target share
That should change in 2018. Gates played 42% of the offensive snaps this season and has 38 targets, and he will be gone. So Henry's snaps and targets should increase going forward. Given the efficiency he has already demonstrated, IMO he is a top 5 TE going forward.
This should be encouraging and screaming to try to buy Henry this off season, but then I remember it is the Chargers and I get scared again. 

Wow. Based on all the replies it seems I am off base on my Hunter Henry assessment.  I agree that when he has been utilized he has put up good numbers but so far in his career it is impossible to rely on him consistently.  Is that because the Chargers feel like they owe Gates? Is it that Gates is a better player? A better blocker? Maybe the team doesnt think Henry is as good as the fans do?  Maybe Henry isnt able to pick up the playbook?
I dont know what the reason is keeping Henry back, but if he were clearly better than Gates, he would play more and get more opportunities. Football is a business and the Chargers main goal is to win games and they must not feel that Henry gives them a better chance to win or they would use him more.

Users who are viewing this thread