What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

All time soccer tourney Matchday 1 Game 1 (1 Viewer)

Which team has the better offensive substitutes? Which team has the better defensive substitutes? (

• Manos di Dios has better substitutes on both sides of the ball.

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • wdcrob has better substitutes on both sides of the ball

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Manos di Dios has better offensive substitutes, but wdcrob has better defensive subs.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • wdcrob has better offensive substitutes, but Manos di Dios has better defensive subs.

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters
Re: both Nesta and Desailly, when we were discussing picks, I had them both slated as being a full round better than where we got them.  Never expected either of them to drop to where we picked them.  Gator even tried to trade up for Nesta pretty early in the draft.

Then again, I was pretty much just winging my assistance during the entire draft by picking players that I can remember and can envision playing together.  That's why there's not really much in this team prior to like 1990.

OK guys, I propose closing voting at noon unless we end up with more than 10 more votes to suggest that voters are still engaged.

Fair?

Also, I will start a Group B game in lieu of Native's game this afternoon.  Native's game pool will be posted on Wednesday.

Voters-  Several bonuses are on a knife's edge right now.  Manos di Dios and wdcrob are both exactly at the 60% threshold for the chance creation and finishing bonuses respectively. 

wdcrob is also right on the cusp of the counter-attacking penalty (which won't affect him as much with fewer Advantage rolls).

ANNOUNCEMENT:  I am simplifying the set-piece and PK mechanic.  I am moving to a six sided die.  For PK's any value of 3,4,5,or 6 scores.  For set pieces, only values of 5 and 6 score. 

I haven't even attempted to comprehend how this dice thing works.  Absolutely no idea.  We could lose every game or win every game and I'd still have absolutely no idea what happened.

To reiterate:  the game is divided into 6 phases (think of it as 0-15mins, 15-30 mins, 30 mins-HT, HT-60 min, 60 mins-75 mins, and 75 mins-FT).  For each phase, each team rolls against the following chart:

Die Roll

Advantage

Neutral

Disadvantage

Goal

Goal

Goal

Goal

Goal

Set Piece Earned

Goal

PK Earned

Set Piece Earned

Goal

Set Piece Earned

Opponent Cautioned

PK Earned

Set Piece Earned

Opponent Cautioned

Set Piece Earned

Scoring Chance Off Post

Scoring Chance Off Post

Set Piece Earned

Scoring Chance Saved

Scoring Chance Saved

Opponent Cautioned

Opponent Cautioned

Player Cautioned

Opponent Sent Off

Opponent Cautioned

Player Sent Off

Scoring Chance Off Post

No Action

Scoring Chance Conceded

Scoring Chance Saved

No Action

Scoring Chance Conceded

Scoring Chance Offside

Player Cautioned

No Action

No Action

Player Cautioned

No Action

No Action

Counter*

Set Piece Conceded

Counter*

Set Piece Conceded

Set Piece Conceded

Counter*

Set Piece Conceded

Set Piece Conceded

Set Piece Conceded

Set Piece Conceded

PK Conceded

Set Piece Conceded

Set Piece Conceded

Own Goal

Set Piece Conceded

Own Goal Conceded

Goal Conceded

Own Goal Conceded

Goal Conceded

Goal Conceded

I am retired, do almost nothing every day and would still not have enough time to put in the work that RHE does to this.  

Impressive to say the least :)

The teams started voting each with an equal distribution of 2 rolls against the Advantage Column, 2 rolls against the Neutral Column, and 2 rolls against the Disadvantage Column. 

As of right now, however, Manos di Dios would have 3 rolls against the Advantage Column (60% of the voters believe MdD will create more chances, which is the bare minimum to convert a Neutral roll to an Advantage roll).  They would have only 1 roll against the Disadvantage column (64% of voters believe MdD's defense will prevent more chances).  They would still have 2 neutral rolls.

wdcrob would have the exact opposite distribution.  He loses an Advantage roll and gains a Disadvantage roll for finishing at 40% or less in those categories.

But wdcrob currently has two very powerful advantages.  He has 60% of the finishing vote, which gives him a 1 in 3 chance of converting a near goal event into a goal (5 or 6 on a d6).

He has a strong supermajority in goaltending that gives him a 1 in 3 chance of converting a goal event into a save. (5 or 6 on a d6).  Both of these bonuses can only be successful once, but he can keep trying them until the succeed.

wdcrob is also at 60% of the counter penalty.  That would result in a 1 in 2 chance (1,2,or 3 on a d6) of any event labeled "Counter" to result in a goal against his team.

Finally, MdD has a strong supermajority in both offensive and defensive subs.  That will allow MdD to roll twice and get the better result on any one of it's rolls after an offensive substitution.  And it will be able to make wdcrob roll twice and accept the worse result on any of wdcrob's rolls after a defensive substitution. 

Update:  SInce my post MdD has fallen below the 60% threshold on chance creation and wdcrob has fallen below the same threshold for finishing.  So if voting finished like this those bonuses would not be applied. 

We are now the biggest geeks since D&D guy.

Although the six sided dice gets us some street cred back....I hope.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chance Creation:  Manos Di Dios (57.7%) wdcrob (42.3%) -- No bonus given

Finishing -- wdcrob (57.7%) Manos di Dios (42.3%) -- No bonus given

Chance Prevention -- Manos di Dios (65.38%)  wdcrob (34.62%) -- Manos di Dios converts one Disadvantage roll to a Neutral roll, wdcrob converts one Neutral roll to a disadvantage roll.

Goalkeeping -- wdcrob (75.92%) wdcrob  has 1/3 chance to convert a goal into a save until a successful savings roll is made.

Counter:  wdcrob must execute a 1 in 2 savings roll on any counter event when he is rolling on the Advantage or Neutral table.

Subs:  Manos di Dios has clear supermajority in both categories.  May have the better of any two MdD rolls after offensive sub.  May force the worse of any two wdcrob rolls after defensive subs.

We should all pitch in and buy RHE a jersey or something. My God this is gonna be a lot of work for him.

Manos di Dios roll order:

1. Neutral
  2. Neutral
  3. Disadvantage
  4. Advantage
  5. Neutral
  6. Advantage
wdcrob roll order

1. Advantage
  2. Neutral
  3. Disadvantage
  4. Disadvantage
  5. Neutral
  6. Advantage

Manos di Dios Roll 1 (Neutral)

1d20

No Action

wdcrob Roll 1 (Advantage)

1d20
19  Set Piece Conceded! 

Manos di Dios Rolls a d6 (5 or 6 scores goal)

1d6

Lampard lines up a free kick from 21 yards away, about 8 yards to the right of center.  He steps up and gets it over the wall, but it never comes down fast enough to trouble Buffon.  Goal kick.

Manos di Dios Roll 2 (Neutral)

1d20
17  Set Piece Conceded 

wdcrob Set Piece Roll (5 or 6 scores)

1d6

Poor from Messi and he shoots straight into the wall from 24 yards.

wdcrob Roll 2 (Neutral)

1d20
18 Set Piece Conceded (Set Piece A Looza!)

Manos di Dios Set Piece Roll (5 or 6 scores)

Manos di Dios set piece roll

1d6
6 (Goal), but Gigi Buffon gets a savings roll

wdcrob savings roll (Buffon saves on 5 or 6)

1d6

It's Lampard lining up.  GOOOOOALLLLLL

Manos di Dios 1 - 0 wdcrob

Manos di Dios Roll 3 (disadvantage)

1d20
8  - Player Cautioned (will roll a D10 where each value corresponds to a field player, no GKs)

Manos di Dios Caution Roll

1d10
6 -- Socrates

Socrates is late on a 50/50 ball.  The referee reaches to his pocket and produces a yellow card.  Harsh on the Brazilian.

Manos di Dios Roll 3 (disadvantage)

1d20
8  - Player Cautioned (will roll a D10 where each value corresponds to a field player, no GKs)

Manos di Dios Caution Roll

1d10
6 -- Socrates

Socrates is late on a 50/50 ball.  The referee reaches to his pocket and produces a yellow card.  Harsh on the Brazilian.
bunch of thugs, just like those fans of theirs :mad:

IMO, rob is starting a bunch of guys who all play centrally, added onto a 3man back line leads to some serious trouble on both sides of the ball. even pep isn't going to help.

I prefer the overall shape and balance of godhand. plus la bonbon is steaming cauldron of misery for opponents.

spacing wins for me when every guy is a superstar.

Manos di Dios Roll 4 (Advantage)

1d20
8 Opponent cautioned

wdcrob Caution Roll

1d10
Kaka

Uncharacteristic from Kaka as he clumsily clatters Nesta after a clearance.

IMO, rob is starting a bunch of guys who all play centrally, added onto a 3man back line leads to some serious trouble on both sides of the ball. even pep isn't going to help.

I prefer the overall shape and balance of godhand. plus la bonbon is steaming cauldron of misery for opponents.

spacing wins for me when every guy is a superstar.
wcdrob could have easily overcome that by having a better manager...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zona_mista

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2009/dec/01/england-football-tactics-fabio-capello

In other words, asymmetries matched, every system mapping neatly on to the one it was pitted against. The problem came when it met an incongruent asymmetry, as was exposed in Juventus's defeat to Hamburg in the 1983 European Cup final. Hamburg played with two forwards: a figurehead in Horst Hrubesch, with the Dane Lars Bastrup usually playing off him to the left. That suited Giovanni Trapattoni's Juventus, because it meant Bastrup could be marked by the right-back Claudio Gentile, while the left-back Antonio Cabrini would be free to attack.

Realising that, the Hamburg coach Ernst Happel switched Bastrup to the right, putting him up against Cabrini. Trapattoni, sticking with the man-to-man system, moved Gentile across to the left to mark Bastrup.

That, of course, left a hole on the right, which Marco Tardelli was supposed to drop back from midfield and fill. In practice, though, Tardelli was both neutered as an attacking force and failed adequately to cover the gap, through which Felix Magath ran to score the only goal of the game.
Extra funny because GaT(or)asker is using Tardelli as a holding mid.

wdcrob Roll 4 (Disadvantage)

1d20
9 Player Sent off!

wdcrob Red Card Roll

1d10
Schweinsteiger

Schweinsteiger with a horror tackle on Maradona!  Two-footed and over the ball!  The referee has no choice!  Schweinsteiger is shown red!

NOTE:  wdcrob may not roll on an advantage for the rest of the game

Agreed. Willian as a lone wide man on the right is asking for trouble. Roberto Carlos will go nuts if I get to play him.

Manos di Dios Roll 5 (Neutral)

1d20
19 Own Goal Conceded!

Horrible miscommunication between Desailly and De Gea and Desailly heads an innocuous cross right in the net!  We are all even!  wdcrob has a lifeline!

Users who are viewing this thread