What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (10 Viewers)

Lifted yesterday morning and skipped the cardio. Wife has told me I am getting "too skinny", so now more focused on adding muscle. I'll still do cardio but I'll probably dial back the volume and intensity a little. And I will try to eat more calories, just of the right stuff. Which might be as much of a challenge as losing weight.

Oh, and 166.8 this AM, pre-defecation.

Day 2 of 16:8

Yesterday I had my first meal at noon. I had a 6pm meeting so I had my last meal at 5pm. I'm a little confused as to why I'm not hungry this morning? Black coffee & water only. 

I get there's some hormonal changes that occur when fasting, but day 2? Any physiological explanation as to why this is so easy? 

@belljr - 3.5 weeks in and I've only missed 2 days since starting on 1/13 - both on Saturdays before going on a long run so I'm ok with that. 20 per day this week.
This is the one an only thing I've been pretty consistent about.  I have missed a few days here and there but it was for shoulder pain ....   

:hifive:

Yesterday I had my first meal at noon. I had a 6pm meeting so I had my last meal at 5pm. I'm a little confused as to why I'm not hungry this morning? Black coffee & water only. 

I get there's some hormonal changes that occur when fasting, but day 2? Any physiological explanation as to why this is so easy? 
If you aren't eating a bunch of sugar and simple carbs now--that helps.

Awesome that you’re doing this while you’re traveling. They have a rowing machine at the hotel gym?  How you making it happen?
Yep - actually both hotel & office have one of these. It's different than the Concept 2 but light years ahead of any of the magnetic ones so it's worked well. Not sure what to do with all the dials and things so have just left them be. 

This is relatively lame compared to what others are doing, but I gotta know where I am starting from and build from there.  So here is my Feb daily routine (started on 2/3):

Zero booze

Wake between 6 and 630 AM 

Sun Salutation Yoga first thing in the AM

Minimum of 10K steps by EOD

get into MAF heart rate zone by EOD (although I'm probably not going long enough to consider it MAF training or whatever)

10 push ups

10 pull ups (assisted)

10 curls

Bed at 10PM (no TV, phone, computer, etc.) -- if needed, I'll listen to "soothing sounds" station on cable, but only as a last resort.

ETA: IF  I eat breakfast at around 9:30, lunch mid-day, then dinner at around 5:30, then nothing except water after dinner.

Super Bowl weekend set me back to 201 lbs so here we go.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is relatively lame compared to what others are doing, but I gotta know where I am starting from and build from there.  So here is my Feb daily routine (started on 2/3):

Zero booze

Wake between 6 and 630 AM 

Sun Salutation Yoga first thing in the AM

Minimum of 10K steps by EOD

get into MAF heart rate zone by EOD (although I'm probably not going long enough to consider it MAF training or whatever)

10 push ups

10 pull ups (assisted)

10 curls

Bed at 10PM (no TV, phone, computer, etc.) -- if needed, I'll listen to "soothing sounds" station on cable, but only as a last resort.

Super Bowl weekend set me back to 201 lbs so here we go.
Not lame at all. Gotta take the first steps--the direction matters more than their size.

3rd workout of the month.  Dealing with connective tissue injuries. Getting old sux0rs.  Gotta be super careful  not to really hurt myself. Focusing on yoga for now. Did yoga with light weights today.  

:shrug:  

@belljr - 3.5 weeks in and I've only missed 2 days since starting on 1/13 - both on Saturdays before going on a long run so I'm ok with that. 20 per day this week.

This is the one an only thing I've been pretty consistent about.  I have missed a few days here and there but it was for shoulder pain ....   

:hifive:
Ive been doing the daily push ups (about 3 weeks) and have gotten my 6 and 7 year olds involved.  I have both of them doing ~20 of the kid/knee push ups in the morning and again in the evening.  I've been doing 3 max sets per day (one right when I get up and then in the morning/evening with my girls). 

I started just doing 2 max sets...but it is amazing how many more I can do now before I started.  My girls couldn't even do 10 when we started and are knocking out 20 at a time and my 7 year old did 40 in one set with a little break.  It really catches on, but I've been down this road before and I know if we miss a day or two, the whole thing goes to crap.  Gotta keep it rolling!

Lifted yesterday morning and skipped the cardio. Wife has told me I am getting "too skinny", so now more focused on adding muscle. I'll still do cardio but I'll probably dial back the volume and intensity a little. And I will try to eat more calories, just of the right stuff. Which might be as much of a challenge as losing weight.

Oh, and 166.8 this AM, pre-defecation.
Hot damn y’all are some smallish dudes. 

Yeah I have a physiological explanation. Modern Americans are fat pigs. Some time last century the food industry convinced us we need 3 square meals a day. We don’t. We didn’t evolve to eat that way. The cave men weren’t settling into a bowl of corn flakes in the morning. 

Our bodies aren’t meant to eat so much. We’re meant to go longer in between meals. Which benefits you not just in having fewer calories over time, but also in allowing your body time to focus on repairing itself and maintenance and functional energy rather than devoting all its energy every waking moment to digesting all the garbage you’re constantly stuffing in your pie hole all day.  

I'm 5'10". That's pretty much average.

When I graduated from college, I weighted 150. That was pretty damn skinny. 

At my porkiest, I was just under 200 pounds. I was between 185 and 190 when I started this.
Fair. I looked at my muffin top midsection in the mirror today and came to realize that even though I’m losing good amounts of weight, I still have a ways to go.  My planned 210-215 goal may be just a “first goal” — I may have to get to more like 200. 

Yeah I have a physiological explanation. Modern Americans are fat pigs. Some time last century the food industry convinced us we need 3 square meals a day. We don’t. We didn’t evolve to eat that way. The cave men weren’t settling into a bowl of corn flakes in the morning. 

Our bodies aren’t meant to eat so much. We’re meant to go longer in between meals. Which benefits you not just in having fewer calories over time, but also in allowing your body time to focus on repairing itself and maintenance and functional energy rather than devoting all its energy every waking moment to digesting all the garbage you’re constantly stuffing in your pie hole all day.  
From what I have read, this is pretty close to correct.

Fair. I looked at my muffin top midsection in the mirror today and came to realize that even though I’m losing good amounts of weight, I still have a ways to go.  My planned 210-215 goal may be just a “first goal” — I may have to get to more like 200. 
My best buddy is about 6'3". He has an athletic build. He is a couple years older than me. 

He got up to about 230. More recently he has been like 195-200.

My best buddy is about 6'3". He has an athletic build. He is a couple years older than me. 

He got up to about 230. More recently he has been like 195-200.
When I was 22 I was down to 185-190 and was doing lots of body weight exercises. Looked and felt great. That said, I wasn’t doing much cardio then, but also wasn’t doing as much weight lifting then. So probably I have a little more muscle now than I did then. By that metric I figure 200 probably is the right place to be. Maybe 195 at the very low end.  Though I’ve never had a six pack, and always have felt that would be pretty cool to have at least once in my life. 

When I was 22 I was down to 185-190 and was doing lots of body weight exercises. Looked and felt great. That said, I wasn’t doing much cardio then, but also wasn’t doing as much weight lifting then. So probably I have a little more muscle now than I did then. By that metric I figure 200 probably is the right place to be. Maybe 195 at the very low end.  Though I’ve never had a six pack, and always have felt that would be pretty cool to have at least once in my life. 
To reveal your abs you need to have total body fat of < 13% or so. That's a pretty daunting goal for any over 40 man who isn't an actor, model, or professional athlete. Those people get paid to work out. The rest of us have lives.

To reveal your abs you need to have total body fat of < 13% or so. That's a pretty daunting goal for any over 40 man who isn't an actor, model, or professional athlete. Those people get paid to work out. The rest of us have lives.
Yeah, that’s why I’m not making it a real goal.  I’d just be happy to feel lean and not have this gut.  If ever I hit the point where I’m feeling like I’ve conquered and need a new big challenge, that’s always out there waiting if I wanna try.

Yeah, that’s why I’m not making it a real goal.  I’d just be happy to feel lean and not have this gut.  If ever I hit the point where I’m feeling like I’ve conquered and need a new big challenge, that’s always out there waiting if I wanna try.
So you want to give up all booze for months. 

Glad you realized this on your own. Hesitated saying something when you last mentioned your goal weight, but opted not to. Sub 200 works on a 6'3 frame. 

This may be semantics, but our bodies aren't meant to eat three large meals per day. I get that I am a bit of an outlier but I eat about a dozen times some days. I just only eat one meal, and a lot of times it isn't a big one. 

Here's the thing, once I hit my goal weight, I thought why not a couple more pounds... then a couple more, and a couple more.  Next thing you know, you've flown by the goal.  I dont actively try to lose weight at this point, but I'm still very slowly trending downwards.  

I'm 6'3 and i weigh 172.  25 pounds ago I never thought this weight was ever even a possibility and that I'd have to be starving myself to be here.  Now that I'm here, I realize I'm not all skin and bones...I just have no gut and no chubby face and no extra chin.  I am not trying to be bulky with muscles and I am clearly not, but I have the body type I've always wanted - long and lean.  That makes me happy.

I've said this before, I know people hate BMI, but I am right in the middle of the normal weight for my height.  That's where I want to be.  It also shows me that I'm not TOO skinny, despite what some people may say.  Those people are also the ones in the overweight/obese categories and have been desensitized by an overweight america.

Here's the thing, once I hit my goal weight, I thought why not a couple more pounds... then a couple more, and a couple more.  Next thing you know, you've flown by the goal.  I dont actively try to lose weight at this point, but I'm still very slowly trending downwards.  

I'm 6'3 and i weigh 172.  25 pounds ago I never thought this weight was ever even a possibility and that I'd have to be starving myself to be here.  Now that I'm here, I realize I'm not all skin and bones...I just have no gut and no chubby face and no extra chin.  I am not trying to be bulky with muscles and I am clearly not, but I have the body type I've always wanted - long and lean.  That makes me happy.

I've said this before, I know people hate BMI, but I am right in the middle of the normal weight for my height.  That's where I want to be.  It also shows me that I'm not TOO skinny, despite what some people may say.  Those people are also the ones in the overweight/obese categories and have been desensitized by an overweight america.
Damn 172 at 6’3”. I guess there are different body types though. I’m almost 6’4”, but I’m not sure 180 or so would work on me. I’m just kind of thick up top and always have been. But you guys are probably both right that 200 or below should be where I really end up eventually, maybe even around the start of summer at my current pace. 

But yeah 172 at 6’3” and that being in the middle of the normal range is eye opening to me. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not completely giving up booze but I can slow it the hell down.  This exercise thing is fun and easy.  The hardest part for me is fixing the diet.  Not that my diet is horrible but it could be a lot better.  

Remember gang:

1. Don’t drink alcohol today

2. Don’t eat sugary junk food today 

3. Get out there and exercise

Your friendly neighborhood fitness cheerleader,

oats

Might be a daunting goal for some, but first step might be to stop following the advice of the nutrition coalition.

I’m not completely giving up booze but I can slow it the hell down.  This exercise thing is fun and easy.  The hardest part for me is fixing the diet.  Not that my diet is horrible but it could be a lot better.  
Prioritize the cheats you want and eliminate the rest. That's a start.

5 weeks down. Pretty good week despite going over my daily number on SB Sunday for the first time since I started. Daily number is 32, high was 37.6, low was 9.6, average was 21.1. I'm going to stop tracking points for this week and see how it goes. I pretty much eat the same stuff all the time, so I know what I should (and shouldnt) be eating. Not easy, but feeling great. Looking forward to cheat weekend / V-day getaway. Still think the yoga is doing me more good than the diet. Keep plugging away. Spring is just around the corner!

1/2 - 184.6 lbs

1/9 - 179.8 lbs

1/16 - 177.4 lbs

1/23 - 176.0 lbs

1/30 - 174.8 lbs

2/6 - 172.4 lbs

(5'11.5", btw)

Damn 172 at 6’3”. I guess there are different body types though. I’m almost 6’4”, but I’m not sure 180 or so would work on me. I’m just kind of thick up top and always have been. But you guys are probably both right that 200 or below should be where I really end up eventually, maybe even around the start of summer at my current pace. 

But yeah 172 at 6’3” and that being in the middle of the normal range is eye opening to me. 
You're both right. 172 may not work for your frame. I'm shorter than both of you (6'1), have been 172 before (dipped down to 168), and it...did not look good. It was peak marathon training my first time through so I don't think it's fair to assess my lower energy levels and general soreness, but I was very skinny. I think my ideal weight is right around 180, when I'm in that neighborhood and fit my body fat % is around 12% or so - given what I'm willing to do with my diet that's about as good as I'll get. As the years go by and I lose muscle mass the ideal weight number will go down, but if you get under 200 and see a body fat number in the teens you'll know you're nearing peak.

Now - get there.

You're both right. 172 may not work for your frame. I'm shorter than both of you (6'1), have been 172 before (dipped down to 168), and it...did not look good. It was peak marathon training my first time through so I don't think it's fair to assess my lower energy levels and general soreness, but I was very skinny. I think my ideal weight is right around 180, when I'm in that neighborhood and fit my body fat % is around 12% or so - given what I'm willing to do with my diet that's about as good as I'll get. As the years go by and I lose muscle mass the ideal weight number will go down, but if you get under 200 and see a body fat number in the teens you'll know you're nearing peak.

Now - get there.
This!  Good calls.  Right now I'm still over 220 and at 25% body fat, so still a long ways to go...

Might be a daunting goal for some, but first step might be to stop following the advice of the nutrition coalition.
I didn’t present advice, I linked a page that looks at the scientific evidence on both sides of various claims about nutrition and health.

But I can see why getting information from a group advocating for applying the scientific method rigorously to the formation of diet recommendations would be upsetting to some folks.

Actually, wait, no I can’t.

There was a study a bit back that an average American ate 7-8 times/day.  There was a small, but significant contingent that was at 15+ per day (i.e. grazing all day long). Just cutting back to 3 and not snacking all day is a huge cut to the average American calorie intake.  So first step in weight loss is just to cut out the all day grazing...

In related news I had a conference last week, so only managed 1 24 hour fast.  Even with that I gained back a few lbs (no choice but to sit in meetings and lunches/dinners).  Done 2 this week.  They seem to be coming easier.  Only time I was hungry last night was at 2:30am when the tornado warning system went off (luckily it hit 15 miles away).  I'll weigh in at the end of the week to see how things are coming.

I didn’t present advice, I linked a page that looks at the scientific evidence on both sides of various claims about nutrition and health.

But I can see why getting information from a group advocating for applying the scientific method rigorously to the formation of diet recommendations would be upsetting to some folks.

Actually, wait, no I can’t.
I assumed you were following their advice. I didn’t say I was upset. Just trying to help.

I assumed you were following their advice. I didn’t say I was upset. Just trying to help.
I am not sure what their advice actually is. I have looked at a bunch of the scientific studies footnoted in the materials I linked.

As for my diet, I have greatly restricted carbs, almost eliminated refined sugar and related sweeteners from my diet, and am mainly eating animal products (meat, fish, dairy, eggs), leafy/cruciferous vegetables, and nuts. I supplement that food with whey protein, creatine, fish oil, fiber supplements, and a multi-vitamin. I am also practicing 16:8 intermittent fasting. And drinking lots of water.

10k this morning.  Ate a lot last night, was so starving — I have a feeling maybe because I lifted in the morning. I haven’t had an appetite like that in a while. So I are a bunch of stuff but nothing terrible. Chicken. Peanut butter on whole grain bread. Some falafel and spinach on whole grain pita. Just a lot of random stuff, but mostly veered clear of the garbage (I had a couple Girl Scout cookies).  But it’s the first time I’ve noticed what lifting weights versus cardio seems to do to my appetite.  Is that a common thing?

10k this morning.  Ate a lot last night, was so starving — I have a feeling maybe because I lifted in the morning. I haven’t had an appetite like that in a while. So I are a bunch of stuff but nothing terrible. Chicken. Peanut butter on whole grain bread. Some falafel and spinach on whole grain pita. Just a lot of random stuff, but mostly veered clear of the garbage (I had a couple Girl Scout cookies).  But it’s the first time I’ve noticed what lifting weights versus cardio seems to do to my appetite.  Is that a common thing?
As I mentioned for me, MAF workouts didn't increase my appetite. I lost weight easily while doing it almost exclusively. My appetite is back doing the same exercise but at a higher HR.

My guess is the lower sustained HR for you while rowing is doing the same for you.

I’m struggling with the MAF routine.  It’s just too slow and boring for me.  Also, I’m prepping for a 10 mile run and I’m not convinced MAF is going to work.  I’ve started doing 2 workouts a day.  I’ll do the standard 10 mile training routine (I.e running 2-5 miles a day) and then do a HIIT workout either in the morning or at night.  I still have to work on the diet but I’m gradually getting better (e.g. I hardly ever snack anymore).  Cutting booze will be a work in progress 

As I mentioned for me, MAF workouts didn't increase my appetite. I lost weight easily while doing it almost exclusively. My appetite is back doing the same exercise but at a higher HR.

My guess is the lower sustained HR for you while rowing is doing the same for you.
That makes sense.  If true, all the more reason to stay with MAF for, well, basically, forever. 

I’m struggling with the MAF routine.  It’s just too slow and boring for me.  Also, I’m prepping for a 10 mile run and I’m not convinced MAF is going to work.  I’ve started doing 2 workouts a day.  I’ll do the standard 10 mile training routine (I.e running 2-5 miles a day) and then do a HIIT workout either in the morning or at night.
Trust the process.  Also add in a "tempo run" once a week - something close to your race pace.  

I did my first tempo run yesterday just to see if id made any improvement at speed after almost two weeks of MAF runs.  My long run used to be 5k mostly at 7 to 8mph but with some run walking usually starting after a mile and change. 

I switched to 5k MAF runs, and did my long run of 3.5 miles, so I expected my endurance at higher speeds to have improved some. 

I ran the first two miles at 7mph, nonstop.  That was a pretty big improvement for me already. I also thought i could have gone farther but that I'd definitely need to stop so I walked for a few, then ran again, walked over more, and ran the rest.  I finished the 5k in about 27:40.  My previous best was a shade over 28.  I actually felt like I was running a little slow at 7mph. 

My next goal is going to be 4 miles at MAF this weekend. That's about the ten percent increase they recommend as the most you should do - 3.1 to 3.5, 3.5 to 4, etc. Then I'll alternate between 5k and 3.5 at MAF pace during the week and try a tempo 5k later next week. I expect that I'll be closer to finishing the 5k at 7mph when I do. I'm betting that by the end of February I'll be able to finish the 5k in under 27 without any walking.  

Trust the process.  Also add in a "tempo run" once a week - something close to your race pace.  

I did my first tempo run yesterday just to see if id made any improvement at speed after almost two weeks of MAF runs.  My long run used to be 5k mostly at 7 to 8mph but with some run walking usually starting after a mile and change. 

I switched to 5k MAF runs, and did my long run of 3.5 miles, so I expected my endurance at higher speeds to have improved some. 

I ran the first two miles at 7mph, nonstop.  That was a pretty big improvement for me already. I also thought i could have gone farther but that I'd definitely need to stop so I walked for a few, then ran again, walked over more, and ran the rest.  I finished the 5k in about 27:40.  My previous best was a shade over 28.  I actually felt like I was running a little slow at 7mph. 

My next goal is going to be 4 miles at MAF this weekend. That's about the ten percent increase they recommend as the most you should do - 3.1 to 3.5, 3.5 to 4, etc. Then I'll alternate between 5k and 3.5 at MAF pace during the week and try a tempo 5k later next week. I expect that I'll be closer to finishing the 5k at 7mph when I do. I'm betting that by the end of February I'll be able to finish the 5k in under 27 without any walking.  
Makes total sense.  I'm not doing this necessarily to lose weight (I'm not overweight) or increase endurance (although that is a short term goal with the 10 mile run coming up).  I'm simply doing this as a way of changing my lifestyle.  I feel that it's important for me to also do a routine that I enjoy (i.e. combination of running and HIIT).  I'm hoping everything else falls in place.  

yes.  and not necessarily bad.  if you're burning the calories, the mostly* good food won't hurt your progress.

*how many cookies, and was there any scotch? ;)  

yes.  and not necessarily bad.  if you're burning the calories, the mostly* good food won't hurt your progress.

*how many cookies, and was there any scotch? ;)  
A few cookies. Two Tagalongs and a thin mint. And no booze. I was sooooo close to opening a bottle of red to kick off the weekend.  Brought out a bottle and set it on the counter. Thankfully Mrs o had no interest and the craving eventually subsided. So glad I didn’t. I was saying to Mrs O this morning, it’s funny but you never wake up the next day and regret NOT drinking the night before. 

I’ve noticed my face and neck look so much thinner and better, which is awesome. It obviously has gone from there and other places first; still have the love handles and extra on my stomach, and I guess that’s the last place I’ll lose it. Hopefully sooner than later....

Users who are viewing this thread