What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (10 Viewers)

Lunch Fries Down. 10oz black coffee now to wake my ### up. 

Probably mashed sweet potatoes for dinner I guess. 

I'm already seeing the limitations of this diet after 24 hours :lol:

describe to me this waffle maker breafast tater thing

this sounds like one of those things that seems like a great idea on the internet until you actually do it

Lunch Fries Down. 10oz black coffee now to wake my ### up. 

Probably mashed sweet potatoes for dinner I guess. 

I'm already seeing the limitations of this diet after 24 hours :lol:
No need to be extreme with potatoes, just make them part of your regular diet. 

My wife is thinking about doing this, and I was hoping for a few answers from the potato dudes. Can they be fried? Baked (with or without oil)? And I saw condiments like salsa and ketchup were being used, so that's ok? Can you add things like chicken or beef stock to the potatos? Just looking for some easy perameters to pass along. Good luck to you all, btw.

Cheated at dinner tonight.  But not bad. 

Went to a fancy steakhouse. Guys with me eating huge steaks and desserts. And drinking lots of wine. 

I had one (1) beer (Brooklyn Lager) and a piece of salmon, some greens, and some shrimp.  Still I had fasted all day, so feeling OK about it generally. But stuff like this screws up our data, and after all, if the FFA isn't scientific, then what are we?

Cheated at dinner tonight.  But not bad. 

Went to a fancy steakhouse. Guys with me eating huge steaks and desserts. And drinking lots of wine. 

I had one (1) beer (Brooklyn Lager) and a piece of salmon, some greens, and some shrimp.  Still I had fasted all day, so feeling OK about it generally. But stuff like this screws up our data, and after all, if the FFA isn't scientific, then what are we?
Fat?

Wait, so a white potato is good for you now?
Other than the high GI (only matters if you're already diabetic), yes.  I'm more than a little irritated about being lied to my whole life. 

I was also reading that high GI foods are great for recovery after a workout so potatoes plus protein is a perfect post-workout meal. 

Fat, Not Sugar, Causes Diabetes 

According to a statement by the American Diabetes Association, “…there is little evidence that total carbohydrate is associated with the development of type 2 diabetes.  Rather, a stronger association has been observed between total fat and saturated fat and type 2 diabetes.”10

Last edited by a moderator:
Little irritable tonight.. Not sure if it's the diet or what. Tried sweet potatoes for dinner but they were crappy. Made more roasted potatoes and mashed with a bit of green onion and chicken stock and spice 

About 930 calories on the day. Not hungry. 

Little irritable tonight.. Not sure if it's the diet or what. Tried sweet potatoes for dinner but they were crappy. Made more roasted potatoes and mashed with a bit of green onion and chicken stock and spice 

About 930 calories on the day. Not hungry. 
Seriously, just stop the 'full spud' diet and eat healthy with potatoes with your meals.  I did the 'full spud' diet for one day and found it ridiculous and unnecessarily extreme.  Instead I incorporated potatoes into my daily diet.  Potatoes are filling and you'll eat a lot less of 'bad' foods.

First post of that thread would be dedicated to my business partner who after hearing about the potato diet from me started it. After five days he's not lost an ounce.

When I asked him what he had to eat yesterday he said "Five pounds of potatoes"

First post of that thread would be dedicated to my business partner who after hearing about the potato diet from me started it. After five days he's not lost an ounce.

When I asked him what he had to eat yesterday he said "Five pounds of potatoes"
With how much oil, butter, and sour cream?

the diet absolutely works if you are strict about it.    potatoes only, no fat, a little seasoning (even some low/no sugar hot sauce is ok), don't eat the skins if you don't need to.   Do that for 3-4 days you will for sure lose 5lbs or so.    

beyond that, just eating some potato before every meal might help you become a better eater, eat less and just lost weight slowly over time the proper way.   Potatoes are so filling that if you start your meal with a baked potato, you won't eat half your steak, or your pasta, or taco salad or hamburger  etc...whatever it was that was the main course.   So if the end result of this is just to lower your average daily consumption of calories, its a win win.

Other than the high GI (only matters if you're already diabetic), yes.  I'm more than a little irritated about being lied to my whole life. 

I was also reading that high GI foods are great for recovery after a workout so potatoes plus protein is a perfect post-workout meal. 
Yes, high GI foods are a known staple in the bodybuilding community after a workout.  There are even supplements that have been made specifically for that reason:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/musclemeds/secret-sauce.html

That's 50g of carbs and while the formula is proprietary (it consists of a Insulin-Release Amplifying Reactive Carbohydrate System, so that's the sort of marketing they are going after).

iSPIKE Insulin-Release-Amplifying Reactive Carbohydrate System
The faster you can get carbs into your system to spike insulin and replenish glycogen after a workout, the better! This is accomplished with MuscleMeds exclusive iSPIKE Technology. The speed at which a nutrient particle is absorbed is partly a function of its surface area. The greater the surface area, the more digestive enzyme molecules can react with it simultaneously. This promotes greater rates of absorption and higher insulin spikes. MuscleMeds researchers have reduced the average size of the carbohydrate particles in the iSPIKE Technology while increasing the total number of particles, thus resulting in a substantial increase in reactive surface area and faster absorption.*

The use of micronparticulated waxy maize and micronparticulated maltodextrin in the iSPIKE Technology yields tiny particles of these carbohydrate sources, which therefore greatly accelerates their absorption speed. This high speed uptake of glycogen into muscle tissue is essential for faster recovery and recuperation. iSPIKE uses the enzymes amylase and glucoamylase to speed the breakdown of these two micronparticulated carbohydrates. This further enhances the anabolic qualities of the muscle glycogen delivery system.*
Or here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/mhp/darkmatter.html?searchterm=dark%20matt

GLYCOSACCHARIDE-FST is an advanced carbohydrate matrix composed of three functional saccharides to help optimize the post-workout anabolic actions of insulin and reload your muscles with glycogen.* This advanced carb matrix of homo-polysaccharide (derived from potato), polysaccharide (derived from low viscosity, high molecular weight osmotic waxy maize starch) and oligosaccharide (derived from Maltoplex-18 glucose polymers) allows for fast gastric emptying, a quick, powerful spike in insulin and enhanced glycogen replenishment support.* GLYCOSACCHARIDE-FST’s carb matrix was scientifically developed to deliver a nutrient infusion to help elicit a greater insulin response and open the anabolic window faster and keep it open longer.* To further promote its anabolic effects, DARK MATTER contains a blend of 4-hydroxyisoleucine, chromium picolinate and guanidnopropionic acid to amplify and help modulate insulin – which may help improve insulin signaling for increased anabolic action, nutrient transport, protein synthesis, creatine/nutrient uptake and glycogen replenishment.*
So yeah, right after your workout, you do want something that your body can absorb very quickly.

Seriously, just stop the 'full spud' diet and eat healthy with potatoes with your meals.  I did the 'full spud' diet for one day and found it ridiculous and unnecessarily extreme.  Instead I incorporated potatoes into my daily diet.  Potatoes are filling and you'll eat a lot less of 'bad' foods.
Eh this is entertaining though. Couple more days out of morbid curiousity then back to eating normal but healthy. 

Tonight I had one medium baked russet, one cup homemade Crock-Pot black beans and 1/3rd an avocado. I'm totally full and just avoided a fat and calorie filled meal. To me this is the benefit of potatoes 

Day 1:  Down 2.8lbs

Clearly a case of water weight which is fine. Got a small run in yesterday. Using a splash of diced green onions and chicken stock to jazz up the mashed skin-on red potatoes a bit. Works well. 

Today I have about 1lb mashed red potatoes w/ green onions, about 3/4lb of boiled/sliced/baked red potato "steak fries"  (seasoned with garlic salt, salt, black pepper, and oregano) and a baked sweet potato that I'll just wrap in paper towel and microwave a bit to soften it up if I decide to get into it. 

Oddly NOT hungry after a 6pm run followed by 7pm dinner of 13oz of potato mash that totalled 350 lousy calories. I'm not sure WHY I'm not hungry, but i'm going to drink some water and eat 1/3lb of this mashed potato goodies with a splash of franks red-hot for breakfast and see how the day goes. 
Glad to have you aboard. Looking forward to somebody with some epicurean skills posting some good ideas for different ways to cook them. The not hungry thing is pretty remarkable. I get hungry now because I am mixing it up, but once I get through the first day of nothing but potatoes, I have to force myself to eat. 

Full spud gives the best results. I had to lose about 100 lbs to get back to my old fighting weight. If you want to lose fast, nothing but potatoes works, fast. I agree about the sustainable part, and I do eat more healthy now, but I might go on another run of full spud to lose quickly, or if I plateau and stall at a certain weight. It just works. 

Day 10:

23.9%

Down just nearly 10lbs in 10 days, and that's including a couple days this weekend off the rails and a night out last night with a normal meal and a beer. 

My ### this doesn't work. 

209.2 this morningLower than I've been in a couple months for sure. I've felt good all week, dropped a few pounds, clothes look better. I'm jumping off the wagon tonight.

I cant lose weight that quickly, not enough calorie deficit, don't weigh in every day, yada yada yada, I know, but those are the number... I would do this again for a few days as a reset/quick loss.

I guess more than 3-4 days would be required for the taste bud reset thing because I definitely craved tastier foods throughout this but I did feel full throughout and definitely ate less in terms of calories... now to see what happens when I switch to more traditional healthy eating patterns.
Curious how its been going back to normal foods.

Down 1.2lbs more this morning... 4 total in 2days. Light headache this morning but not sure if it's related. Feeling good and not really hungry. Will have to force myself to eat breakfast later. 

Congrats Otis. You staying on thru Friday? 

I have a challenge coming up Thursday, a birthday dinner the GF committed us to. Could easily stick to potatoes and water with this couple and may do so. Will see. 

Friday night I may end up going to Zoo Brew beer festival at the Memphis Zoo. Hundreds of beers to sample in a fun environment. I was planning on going off diet Satuday morning so won't be a huge issue to jump a few hours early. Will probably still eat potato-centric fri night before heading out and avoid any late night snacking stupidity. 

Curious how its been going back to normal foods.
Weight wise I'm still just under 210. Nothing extreme diet wise on the weekend. I was at the family cottage so a lot of BBQ and beer.

During the week just eating sensibly. Had spaghetti squash with a veggie loaded marinara sauce Monday night.  Last night we had a pile of mashed potatoes with some stuffed portobellos and the rest of the sauce from Monday.

Down 1.2lbs more this morning... 4 total in 2days. Light headache this morning but not sure if it's related. Feeling good and not really hungry. Will have to force myself to eat breakfast later. 

Congrats Otis. You staying on thru Friday? 

I have a challenge coming up Thursday, a birthday dinner the GF committed us to. Could easily stick to potatoes and water with this couple and may do so. Will see. 

Friday night I may end up going to Zoo Brew beer festival at the Memphis Zoo. Hundreds of beers to sample in a fun environment. I was planning on going off diet Satuday morning so won't be a huge issue to jump a few hours early. Will probably still eat potato-centric fri night before heading out and avoid any late night snacking stupidity. 
If my experience is any indication, you can eat crap and drink sometimes and this keeps working. Just need to keep stringing together multi day clusters of all potato in between. 

If my experience is any indication, you can eat crap and drink sometimes and this keeps working. Just need to keep stringing together multi day clusters of all potato in between. 
If I break formation for dinner Thursday night... it will be for something like a 6oz filet, baked potato, steamed asparagus/broccoli and maybe a beer. Nothing too out of line. 

If I break formation for friday night it will be for ~1-2000 calories of high end microbrew beer. :lol:

Will see how it goes. Satuday's cookout will just be crawfish, corn, potatoes, and light beer. If I'm going to go ahead and get off the spud diet for the holiday weekend, I MAY skip the potatoes ;)  

Day 1:  Down 2.8lbs

Clearly a case of water weight which is fine. Got a small run in yesterday. Using a splash of diced green onions and chicken stock to jazz up the mashed skin-on red potatoes a bit. Works well. 

Today I have about 1lb mashed red potatoes w/ green onions, about 3/4lb of boiled/sliced/baked red potato "steak fries"  (seasoned with garlic salt, salt, black pepper, and oregano) and a baked sweet potato that I'll just wrap in paper towel and microwave a bit to soften it up if I decide to get into it. 

Oddly NOT hungry after a 6pm run followed by 7pm dinner of 13oz of potato mash that totalled 350 lousy calories. I'm not sure WHY I'm not hungry, but i'm going to drink some water and eat 1/3lb of this mashed potato goodies with a splash of franks red-hot for breakfast and see how the day goes. 
what temp/time did you cook those "fries" in the oven.  They look great

Tiger Fan said:
what temp/time did you cook those "fries" in the oven.  They look great
Prebaked till could get a fork in them. Then hit with a QUICK blast of EVOO mist to get spices to stick... then broiled on top shelf for 7-8 mins each side (or to desired crispiness). 

Chase Stuart said:
Yes, high GI foods are a known staple in the bodybuilding community after a workout.  There are even supplements that have been made specifically for that reason:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/musclemeds/secret-sauce.html

That's 50g of carbs and while the formula is proprietary (it consists of a Insulin-Release Amplifying Reactive Carbohydrate System, so that's the sort of marketing they are going after).

Or here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/mhp/darkmatter.html?searchterm=dark%20matt

So yeah, right after your workout, you do want something that your body can absorb very quickly.
This is called carb backloading which I am a huge fan of.  I think it really works.  Could be bro science, but before HGH came on the scene that was the preferred method of all pro lifters.  And you can just use dextrose.  No need to get fancy.

For you people dropping multiple pounds per week eating virtually all potatoes, how much weight have you been able to drop using traditional means in other scenarios? I see people dropping 5 lbs a week on 1200 calories of potatoes. It seems like you wouldn't get the same result on 1200 calories of regular food which math says shouldn't really happen. Wondering what else is at play. 

For you people dropping multiple pounds per week eating virtually all potatoes, how much weight have you been able to drop using traditional means in other scenarios? I see people dropping 5 lbs a week on 1200 calories of potatoes. It seems like you wouldn't get the same result on 1200 calories of regular food which math says shouldn't really happen. Wondering what else is at play. 
I think with any crazy "diet" you're going to see significant drops of several pounds the first week if you stick with it. I think what seems strange about this one is folks don't seem to rebound as badly when coming back off it (assuming you don't go full #######). 

Some of the reasons why have been covered in here by folks much smarter than myself (ProstRGK, cudleus, Maurile).

I've had about 150 calories of oven roasted "fries" so far today with no dipping sauces or anything. Still not hungry. So odd. Normally i am STARVING by now after my typical 3 egg breakfast. 

PotatoMagic(TM). 

My guess is that it's largely a function of satiety and breaking the food/reward cycle.

1200 calories is very hard to stick to in traditional diets.  So if the Potato Hack diet allows someone to consistently comply with a 1200 calorie a day diet in a way that Weight Watchers or something doesn't, that would go pretty far.  Maybe not five lbs a week (the math says you'd need to run a caloric deficit of 2500 calories a day, which isn't completely impossible depending on metabolism and activity, but seems pretty unlikely).  But a steady two pounds a week would seem virtually assured for most men, if we just assume strict linear thermodynamic stuff. 

I think most differences between diets in those comparison studies are likely explained by compliance rates.

I think with any crazy "diet" you're going to see significant drops of several pounds the first week if you stick with it. I think what seems strange about this one is folks don't seem to rebound as badly when coming back off it (assuming you don't go full #######). 

Some of the reasons why have been covered in here by folks much smarter than myself (ProstRGK, cudleus, Maurile).

I've had about 150 calories of oven roasted "fries" so far today with no dipping sauces or anything. Still not hungry. So odd. Normally i am STARVING by now after my typical 3 egg breakfast. 

I went with a potato, chicken sausage, wilted spinach and salsa for breakfast for 262 calories.  I will often do this with beans and/or eggs instead of the potato.  The potato addition has definitely curbed my hunger way more than if I go beans/eggs.

I know I can't go all spuds, but they seem like a no-brainer add to a diet at this point (thanks stupid myths).

ETA - I also worked out for over an hour doing cardio this morning, so I am running on an extreme deficit at the moment and not really hungry at all.

Binky The Doormat said:
As a type II diabetic I can't imagine this would be a good idea for me.
Not that I would purport to give anyone medical advice, but high-starch low-fat diets have proven to be effective for many people in treating or even reversing type 2 diabetes.

Often, the best thing you can do for type 2 diabetes is to lose weight. High-starch low-fat diets (such as the rice diet -- the potato diet hasn't been studied as well) are not only relatively effective for weight loss, but they seem to improve insulin sensitivity independent of their effects on weight loss. This is worth a read.

I'm in!  As long as I can deep fry'em, dip them in in ketchup and mayo, eat them with some sort of red meat and wash them down with a milkshake or several beers.

I'm in!  As long as I can deep fry'em, dip them in in ketchup and mayo, eat them with some sort of red meat and wash them down with a milkshake or several beers.
Pretty sure this is the diet for 90% of Americans. But they are organic potatoes and ketchup, grass-fed beef, olive oil mayo, hand churned ice cream from an organic sourced farm, and craft brew beer... so healthy! 

Not that I would purport to give anyone medical advice, but high-starch low-fat diets have proven to be effective for many people in treating or even reversing type 2 diabetes.

Often, the best thing you can do for type 2 diabetes is to lose weight. High-starch low-fat diets (such as the rice diet -- the potato diet hasn't been studied as well) are not only relatively effective for weight loss, but they seem to improve insulin sensitivity independent of their effects on weight loss. This is worth a read.
And check this out.

Definitely will read - thanks MT!

Binky The Doormat said:
As a type II diabetic I can't imagine this would be a good idea for me.
The McDougall website, where I first got most of my information on this diet, advocates a vegan diet to reverse type II diabetes. There are countless success stories on the website of people using this type of diet and being able to come off DM meds entirely. blood glucose normalizes, HgbA1C results improve.

i do not fully understand how it works. I was taught all my life that carbs were what causes DM, and glucose intolerance or insensitivity. At the hospital, we still put people on the SmartCarb diet, which consists of almost no starch, a limited amount of bland protein (dried out boneless, skinless chicken breast) and artificial sweeteners out the wazoo. I still see huge BG spikes after people eat, and nobody gets cured.

i was pre-diabetic before I started this diet. 100lbs. Overweight (at least) mostly belly fat. I knew it was a race between a heart attack/stroke and DM II, on which one struck first. My blood sugars now are completely normalized. My blood panels show I am in a state that is almost "heart-attack proof." 

My goal now is to start leading community meetings at my hospital, so I can follow up with patients and educate them better on nutrition as a tool in reducing risks with their disease process. I hit on this idea taking care of one patient in particular who did not even know they were diabetic and came in with severe ketoacidosis (BG=960s!) and spent 2 months in ICU, ventilated and paralyzed, with millions of dollars spent on special equipment to keep their lungs and kidneys from being irreversibly damaged. The suffering of this patient and their family was immense. I am now following up with this patient personally to make sure they have all the information and support they need to reverse the disease process. Most of these patients aren't FBG's- they aren't buying VitaMixes or $100/oz supplements. They aren't college educated, and they know about nutrition what they learned in High School health class from the Food Pyramid. If I can teach them ways to save money and increase their health through such a simple approach, and really reach 10-15% of them, I will consider that a wonderful success.

IMO, this would help you. I think if you did this diet for a while, then switched to something more sustainable, you could get off diabetes meds permanently and reclaim your health. if you're interested in trying this, Binky, let me know. I need to get organized in how I present information and how to best help/advocate for people that want to pursue this. I would be willing to work with you on the best approach to take, and how to navigate the doctors and lab work you'd need to do. Whatever the case, GL.

Users who are viewing this thread