What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (12 Viewers)

Jan 12 Row: 10k - 39:27 - 172 Avg HR. Blah blah new thread record blah blah. That wrecked me though, tomorrow will be a nice n easy day.

January Total: 109,474
Oh COME ON. 

and by the way I call BS because it says you did this one day in the future 

I wear these when I run https://www.amazon.com/AfterShokz-Titanium-Conduction-Headphones-AS600SG/dp/B018XNGQOE/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=trekz+titanium+headphones&qid=1578772395&sprefix=trexz+###&sr=8-3

Never had an issue with them.
Thanks. Purchased. 

Sticking with the early morning exercise even in this Seattle weather we are having. Today was the worst. Cleared up right after I finished though. Next two weeks I’m going to concentrate on getting the diet right and will put them both together for all of February. Can’t remember the last time I’ve been this long without a soda. Feel so much better already. Even wore a shirt that I hadn’t worn in a while because it been too tight.

Have only had one beer this month but am going to a wine tasting today so will add some more alcohol to the total but probably not too much.

I wear these when I run https://www.amazon.com/AfterShokz-Titanium-Conduction-Headphones-AS600SG/dp/B018XNGQOE/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=trekz+titanium+headphones&qid=1578772395&sprefix=trexz+###&sr=8-3

Never had an issue with them.
Thanks. Purchased. 
I bought these for bike commuting so I could hear ambient sounds. The sound quality isn't as good with bone conducting headphones, but they stay on really well and I can hear what's going on around me. I find myself using them when driving, around the house when I'm couch surfing, and all over the place because I can still hear what's going on while I use them. Would recommend, but I'm not an audiophile. 

I took a day.off exercise yesterday because i tweaked my knee. I have no problem getting to the gym these days but it sucked keeping my calories under 1540 net with no cardio.  I let myself go up to 1700 because I don't want to feel like I have to work out even if I'm injured.  

That said it felt better today so I tried some elliptical. I was ready to quit if it hurt in the slightest but it felt good so i kept the resistance low and did half an hour while watching a little football, then tried the rower for a few minutes.  I didn't want to overdo anything but everything felt ok so I did some stretching and quit while i was ahead.  Went home and had chicken pasta and vegetables..

Reminder that it's not enough to be willing to work hard to lose the weight when you're past 40.  There's no guarantee you'll stay healthy.  Take care of your body and don't overdo it. We're playing the long game (hopefully). 

So much for thinking a lettuce wrapped Beyond or Impossible burger is a good choice.  Loaded with sodium.  Had 2 in 2 days and jacked my blood pressure. Down 5 pounds so far so that's good.

Day 41/100

As noted above, I restarted keto on Thursday, and did a bunch of cardio to jumpstart. Yesterday I went out with the intention of running a minimum of 4.5 miles, and going as many as 6 if I could. I headed out and felt great for the first 3 miles or so, but then I really started struggling. At mile 4 I was completely out of gas. Usually I can fight through a wall, but I was just completely out of energy. It's an odd feeling, because my legs weren't tired, my heart rate was in the 118 range, and I wasn't even breathing hard. I just had no energy. I struggled to walk/run for one more mile, and called it quits. Guess that's what happens with 0 carbs.

Today I did 30 minutes of stretchy yoga to help recover. Tomorrow I'll run again.

On the plus side, I have dropped 6lbs in 2 days. That was fun.

Bank: $390

Last edited by a moderator:
Chicken sandwich at Abblebees for lunch?  Go home and row for an hour while watching football. 

Rowtis Stats

Jan 12 Row:  Easy 1 hour - 11893m

January total: 86,994m

I wanted to go longer, and could have as I was going at a nice easy pace, but my left leg had completely fallen asleep by then.  Need to sort that out  

Otis said:
Chicken sandwich at Abblebees for lunch?  Go home and row for an hour while watching football. 

Rowtis Stats

I wanted to go longer, and could have as I was going at a nice easy pace, but my left leg had completely fallen asleep by then.  Need to sort that out  
https://www.amazon.com/EndureRow-Rowing-Machine-Seat-Concept/product-reviews/B014JW4VY0

At least one product designed specifically for this issue, seems to have good reviews

daily pushups in and weekly running was upped a little

went off the rails a little this weekend out of nowhere

Week 1: -4

week 2: -1

still a loss but not a great showing

End of week 1 of calorie restriction.  Trying to stay under 2,000 a day.  Been closer to 1500-1700.  Down 8 pounds.  Maintained previous workout schedule but have not increased cardio yet. No alcohol since 12.30.  Feel great.  Much more energy and sleeping better than in a long time.

Don't go exercise after drinking.  That's just a recipe for injury imo.

Instead let's just call this your first cheat day of the year.  A cookie is probably 200 calories.  Same with the wine.  And the exercise is probably 700ish. That's about 1100 calories. 

There's 3500 calories in a pound.  Losing a pound a week means having a 500 calorie deficit every day. 

If you were losing a pound week at your old pace, you're now gaining a little over a pound a week at today's pace. That means that one glass plus one snack wiped out a whole day earlier this week. So that sucks. 

But it also means that it only wiped out one day.  It's not the end of your diet.  And you might feel better tomorrow between a rest day and refeeding your reserves a little.  

The trick is to realize that this is a rare thing.  If you do this 3 times a week and eat great the other 4 you'll put in all that work just to break even.  And if it's rare, it sucks to waste it on a random work day and having a meh glass of wine and a cookie.  I want to enjoy my cheat day.  

So tomorrow when you get after it again you don't have to work twice as hard to catch up. Just remember that you are earning your next cheat day.  And plan for that cheat day so it's more fun.  Like going to that wedding, having a nice dinner and a couple drinks - after eating a smaller breakfast and working out earlier in the day.  That's a lot more fun than a glass of wine, a cookie and a skipped workout, but ends up being about the same calories.  

If you find yourself able to get back to eating healthy and working out again tomorrow then this is just part of Otis learning a sustainable lifestyle change where you get an occasional cheat day but they're a scarce resource that you only get to enjoy once in a while. That's a good thing. Just make sure that that's all this is.
Too much truth in here... Was good at being back on track last week from Monday to Friday afternoon. Then Friday night my wife and I went out, had an amazing dinner (which would have been fine on its own) but also had several beers in the process - good beers, loads of calories. Not so good. Saturday I went and ran 7 miles but when I finished, I treated myself to a qdoba burrito. All the benefits of the run but immediate lost all the calorie benefits (and then some?) to a splurge. Then gave into the family and picked up donuts Sunday morning for breakfast - new small/family-ish place opened near home recently and we wanted to try it out. Weigh in this morning was less than pleasant. All the gain of the early part of the week washed out by a weekend of indulgence.

But that's ok. Back to regular routine today. 

daily pushups in and weekly running was upped a little

went off the rails a little this weekend out of nowhere

Week 1: -4

week 2: -1

still a loss but not a great showing
Started my morning off with some pushups. Going to try to join you on the daily push up thing. Every morning I get up and let the dog outside. Usually more or less just stand around waiting to let him back in. Did pushups today while he was out doing his business. Going to turn that into a habit, imo. 

Been doing the Noom weightloss app, it’s been lifechanging stuff for me.  Logging all my food and having a simple green/yellow/red breakdown has been a real nice accountability mechanism.  There’s also a lot of good information about caloric density, mental tips/tricks and stuff.  When I don’t log my meals for so long, I get a little push from people to get back on the wagon.  

I’ve went down a couple belt loops.  I noticed some shirts I was gonna give away to Goodwill, put away long ago when I decided I was just going to be chunky forever, fit great again.  Now I’m sending my XL shirts away (or getting my favorite ones tailored).  

For breakfast I’ll typically do a dunkin k-cup with 4 tbsp of creamer, banana for midmorning snack, either a salad/tomatoes or tuna/hot sauce/mayo/horse radish for lunch.  I pack my lunch everyday in my little fallout 3 lunchbox.  

I bought a little onion shredder to dice up onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, put them in plastic containers to go on lunches and dinners and stuff.  I usually pack a bottle of water and little 100-calorie baked chocolate wafer snackpacks from Aldi.  I’ll buy avocadoes and mix them up with dinner too.  Riced cauliflower with garlic/herb, almondmilk that’s 30cal/cup with vanilla almond cereal, chickenless strips mixed with sweet baby ray’s hickory sauce (or arrabbiatta pasta sauce), soybean spaghetti, yogurt with snickers/twix crumbles- there’s a lot of nice healthy alternatives out there. 

I literally just toss the stuff in a plastic bowl, microwave it for a minute or two, put on a sauce I like and enjoy.  On Sundays I’ll scramble a dozen eggs with vegetables and mix it with Duke’s mayo/hotsauce, throw on some everything but the bagel seasoning, make some wholegrain toast, then file the leftovers away to take to work during the week.  Ale-8-one is a yellow food, I prolly have 2 or 3 of them with dinner a week.  

The flavor is awesome, I enjoy the stuff I’m eating, and if I go over a little bit on calorie count it’s not a big deal.  I’m consuming way less than I used to.  I don’t eat just to finish my plate anymore, or out of boredom.  I’ve done virtually zero exercise aside from the regular walking I do in the course of work/life.  I still eat bad stuff from time to time- it’s stupid hard not to in this country- but I’m gonna stick to my established routine after everything.  This is a longterm shift.  

One day I stepped on the scale and said enough is enough.  I saw an ad for this thing on FB and gave the trial a shot.  My blood pressure is down in the 113/75 range, down from like 143 or so last time I read it.  I’ve lost about 30 lbs in 3 months.  I feel healthy and more inclined to get out and do stuff.  She’s starting to come around on the idea too and packing her lunch to work.  She made a cauliflower crust pizza the other day that was completely delicious.  

Sorry if this comes off like bragging but it really has changed things massively for me.  For the first time ever, it feels sustainable in a way crash diets and swimming everyday never could (though I do need to exercise more).  Hope this can help others like it helped me.

Thanks for sharing the bolded. Id love to hear more from others about what they're eating. Especially homeade meals or pre-packaged snacks.

TIA!

Started my morning off with some pushups. Going to try to join you on the daily push up thing. Every morning I get up and let the dog outside. Usually more or less just stand around waiting to let him back in. Did pushups today while he was out doing his business. Going to turn that into a habit, imo. 
it really is easy.    I got out of bed.   Did 12 pushups.   Then do my morning routine

Otis said:

Rowtis Stats

How do you keep your hands from locking into the curled position?  If I row the process of straightening my fingers after finishing is excruciating.

it really is easy.    I got out of bed.   Did 12 pushups.   Then do my morning routine
Yep. You listing the challenge in here made me actually start to do it today. Actually did 15 this morning because I couldn't remember when you said you were starting this, and it seemed like a good number to start with. 

Speaking of which...

1/6:  -2.4 lbs

Total through 17 weeks:  -34.0 lbs

Should hit my goal (37 lbs) in the next couple of weeks.
1/13:  -2.4 lbs

Total through 18 weeks:  -36.4 lbs

I didn't try hard last week and don't feel like I deserve that loss.  :lol:

Since my original goal was to lose 37 lbs, I'd theoretically be done next week, but I've decided to tack on another 10 lb loss.  No, I have not become anorexic.  As I mentioned previously, I have a small frame.  So even though BMI is kinda BS, I'd like to be on a fairly skinny side of "normal" on that chart.

Since my original goal was to lose 37 lbs, I'd theoretically be done next week, but I've decided to tack on another 10 lb loss.  No, I have not become anorexic.  As I mentioned previously, I have a small frame.  So even though BMI is kinda BS, I'd like to be on a fairly skinny side of "normal" on that chart.
Dang impressive.  

Today was the first day I really took the 10k steps seriously. By dinner time, I only had about 2500 steps. It took me a solid 70 minutes or so on the treadmill (jogging and walking) to get past the 10k. I can definitely see how 10k a day would make a world of difference. But damn, takes a lot of time. 

Since my original goal was to lose 37 lbs, I'd theoretically be done next week, but I've decided to tack on another 10 lb loss.  No, I have not become anorexic.  As I mentioned previously, I have a small frame.  So even though BMI is kinda BS, I'd like to be on a fairly skinny side of "normal" on that chart.
Just don't get anywhere close to This.

krista4 said:

Up next from krista "my doctor is warning me that I'm too skinny and it's been a real challenge for me -- anyone in here have any advice for putting on weight?"

Rowtis Stats

Jan 14 Row:  Easy 10k (48:34, avg. HR 127, ~600 cals)

January total: 96,994m

Nice easy row.  My OCD wants me to go back downstairs right now for another ~3k so I can be at 100k for the month, but I'll do that tomorrow.  Other than the little wine I drank last Friday night and which made me miserable, no alcohol this month.  Once every two weeks aint so bad.

So I'm starting at 207 on 1/5/20 - let's do this :thumbup:
1/14/20 - 199.8.  It's amazing how much water weight you can lose in the first week.  Averaged about 1800 calories and over 10K steps per day.  Still too many drinks though.

I'm starting out slow with the workouts with the only goal being 10K steps per day (and to average at least 10K steps per day for the entire year).  I'll probably add to this as the year progresses but for now the 10K steps challenge is where it's at for me. 

Users who are viewing this thread