What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (11 Viewers)

@Otis, the wife and I did around a hundred days of Whole30 last year.  I really like it.  Even after the 100 days we still did mostly Whole30 while adding in rice or other grains and red wine occasionally.  The last half of the year we had some personal stuff come up and ended up drinking often and the Whole30 went by the wayside.  By the holidays we were eating all kinds of crap.

I will say we both lost a lot of weight and I don't think either of us gained it all back by the end of the year.  

We restarted Whole30 on Jan 2 this year.  Its been real easy to start back up.  

When I travel for work, I travel 3-4 days at a time.  I try to do my best on the road, I just avoid grains and sugars (and alcohol) while not worrying about what type of oil my food was cooked with.  So breakfast is eggs, bacon, and fruit.  Lunch is chicken on a salad (no cheese!).  Dinner is some type of protein and veggies.  Its not 'true Whole30' but it seems to work well enough.

I assume your wife is on Pintrest and finding recipes.  Here's a few I like.

Turkey Basil Meatloaf
Tuscan Chicken Spaghetti Squash
One Pan Balsamic Chicken with Veggies
Frittatas (several versions)
Nachos with Plaintain chips  (look up a homemade taco seasoning)
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Chipotle Sweet Potato Turkey Chili

@Otis, the wife and I did around a hundred days of Whole30 last year.  I really like it.  Even after the 100 days we still did mostly Whole30 while adding in rice or other grains and red wine occasionally.  The last half of the year we had some personal stuff come up and ended up drinking often and the Whole30 went by the wayside.  By the holidays we were eating all kinds of crap.

I will say we both lost a lot of weight and I don't think either of us gained it all back by the end of the year.  

We restarted Whole30 on Jan 2 this year.  Its been real easy to start back up.  

When I travel for work, I travel 3-4 days at a time.  I try to do my best on the road, I just avoid grains and sugars (and alcohol) while not worrying about what type of oil my food was cooked with.  So breakfast is eggs, bacon, and fruit.  Lunch is chicken on a salad (no cheese!).  Dinner is some type of protein and veggies.  Its not 'true Whole30' but it seems to work well enough.

I assume your wife is on Pintrest and finding recipes.  Here's a few I like.

Turkey Basil Meatloaf
Tuscan Chicken Spaghetti Squash
One Pan Balsamic Chicken with Veggies
Frittatas (several versions)
Nachos with Plaintain chips  (look up a homemade taco seasoning)
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Chipotle Sweet Potato Turkey Chili

@Poke_4_Life thanks a million for sharing, and I will relay those recipes to the missus (yes, she’s all over Pinterest and all sorts of websites, and I sent her to the reddit as well; she’s also reading the book, which I haven’t yet, but plan to).

Day 6 and it couldn’t be easier.  Last night was my first temptation, but it wasn’t food — was craving that near-the-weekend Thursday night beer or scotch or wine.  I wasn’t even close to giving in — feeling very committted here — but it was the first real craving.

So far it’s been super easy.  I eat what Mrs. O makes for breakfast and dinner; for lunch I have a Whole30-compliant bar (there’s an Rx bar with dates and cocoa and nuts and sea salt that tastes great).  I’m going to start working in a little more fruit, a banana or apple in the afternoon.  But after eating a full healthy meal at night, I have zero craving for junk food, and I’m usually pretty full.

Woke up feeling great again — went to the gym this morning, which was the first time I’ve made it there for Day 4 in a week in a long while (been pretty steadily making 3 days at least).  

We’ve also discussed that we want to extend this beyond the 30 days and never go back.  Mrs. O who can be sometimes flaky about my crazy fad diets is super committed, which makes it so much easier to stay on.  I’d like to do what you’re suggesting in terms of extending it after the 30 days — basically keep the same eating habits, with some looser allowances for a few things, but an approximation of Whole30, and allowing alcohol on the weekends or special events (but no more guzzling bottles of red wine on the couch at night 7 days a week...).

This is very doable.  I’m going to stick with this lifting and eating program for an extended period of time, and I have no doubt it will completely change how I look and feel, and my general health.  Psyched for that.

Thanks again for the post, I’ll pass those recipes along to Mrs O.  Good luck.  

Day 9 in the books. Piece of cake. 

Actually craved a scotch more than anything at a family party over the weekend. But held firm. 

Almost a third done.  Have stuck religiously to the diet.  And keep hitting the gym hard. SuperOtis activated. 

My wife is starting me on this Whole30 after the superbowl.

I fear this is going to turn me into a WholeBasspole

RED ALERT

Need to take a client to dinner tomorrow night, was unplanned. Steakhouse. 

CODE RED

I REPEAT, CODE RED

I've let myself go for a long time, especially since an old sports injury to my knee kept worsening and encouraging me to be sedentary. Hit 290 lbs finally.

And then this week, got blood test results back from the doctor. He said it showed me pre-diabetic. I'm dedicating myself to getting in much better shape. (Aug 3 update: New A1C is below pre-diabetic range)

Just going to spectate the contest, but I'll take all the support I can get.

Starting point: 290 lbs

Updates:

June 28:  290 lbs
July 6:     277.4 lbs
July 10:   274.0 lbs
July 14:   270.0 lbs
July 19:   266.8 lbs
July 23:   261.7 lbs
Aug 1:     261.2 lbs
Aug 7:     254.6 lbs
Aug 13:   250.0 lbs
Aug 21:   244.8 lbs
Aug 30:   244.8 lbs
Sep 5:     244.0 lbs
Sep 11:   242.8 lbs
Sep 18:   237.0 lbs
Sep 25:   236.6 lbs
Oct 3:      235.8 lbs
Oct 17:    239.0 lbs
Oct 23:    236.6 lbs
Nov 3:     234.6 lbs
Nov 9:     230.8 lbs
Dec 1:     230.8 lbs
Dec 6:     227.2 lbs
Jan 2:      230.8 lbs
Jan 9:      228.8 lbs
Jan 15:    226.0 lbs
Jan 22:   224.8 lbs
Jan 31:  224.6 lbs

Total weight loss:  65.4 lbs
Celebrated a birthday with a guilt-free (well, low guilt at least) and pizza-heavy weekend.  Was down another pound going in but the pizza negated that and a bit more, but I'm back to about where I started last week.

Have done really well this week since.  Planning out my meals in advance helps quite a bit.  Not sure what I'm doing for the Super Bowl yet, but I think I'm going to make it a test of my willpower and stay low calorie.

Weight from yesterday 221.2.

Ate too much at dinner out over the weekend.  Need to just cut the burger in half and commit to taking it home.  Got in a good workout with 5th grade basketball practice on Monday night.  Need to just keep focusing on smaller portions.
Might need to actually change something

Item that was added to the simple meal rotation a few months back.   Cup of noodles, a few servings of steamed broccoli, one serving of costco frozen chicken (I've pimped this stuff before.  My predominant protein source.  Pretty much add it to everyone from salads to zucchini pasta to this ramen concoction.  You name it).   Looking at max 500 calories, 28 grams of protein and whatever a few servings of broccoli has.   Downside is 50% sodium but could be less sodium and calories b/c there's some ramen mixture juice left that I don't drink.   Takes about 5 minutes and is pretty damn tasty.   I'd highly recommend.   

Last edited by a moderator:
RED ALERT

Need to take a client to dinner tomorrow night, was unplanned. Steakhouse. 

CODE RED

I REPEAT, CODE RED
Went to the steakhouse. Drank water the whole time while clients enjoyed some beer and wine. That was the hardest part. Otherwise asked them to not cook my steak in butter (wasn’t nearly as good) and had it plain without any sauce; ate Brussels sprouts and asparagus too, again, all the good stuff on the side. 

So, still at it. Today is Day 13. Tiger Blood time soon. 

Went to the steakhouse. Drank water the whole time while clients enjoyed some beer and wine. That was the hardest part. Otherwise asked them to not cook my steak in butter (wasn’t nearly as good) and had it plain without any sauce; ate Brussels sprouts and asparagus too, again, all the good stuff on the side. 

You got this.  

I was on day 31 yesterday.  Had a piece of cake in the office and didn't really enjoy it.  Sticking with Whole30 pretty closely for the foreseeable future, maybe a weekend drink from time to time.

I'm gonna guess the sprouts and asparagus were loaded with butter.  But honestly I can't imagine it mattering.

I'm gonna guess the sprouts and asparagus were loaded with butter.  But honestly I can't imagine it mattering.
No, I had a discussion with the waitress about this. She was making suggestions about what I could have. Was cooked in olive oil. 

Day 14 and still religious about it. 

Decided to have a mid-point weigh-in, just for data’s sake. 

Down about 10lbs In 2 weeks. I’ll take it.
Starting this up in another week with my wife, just waiting to get past her birthday next weekend. We have a work reward in Cabo towards the end of March so we both want to be in good shape.

Booze is going to be the hardest part for me.

Starting this up in another week with my wife, just waiting to get past her birthday next weekend. We have a work reward in Cabo towards the end of March so we both want to be in good shape.

Booze is going to be the hardest part for me.
Yeah. We are very seriously debating adding booze back in on weekends. I’ll do Whole90 — don’t give a crap about the food — but damnit taking away our booze.... :hot:  

may have a drink or two tonight...

Starting point: 290 lbs

Updates:

June 28:  290 lbs
July 6:     277.4 lbs
July 10:   274.0 lbs
July 14:   270.0 lbs
July 19:   266.8 lbs
July 23:   261.7 lbs
Aug 1:     261.2 lbs
Aug 7:     254.6 lbs
Aug 13:   250.0 lbs
Aug 21:   244.8 lbs
Aug 30:   244.8 lbs
Sep 5:     244.0 lbs
Sep 11:   242.8 lbs
Sep 18:   237.0 lbs
Sep 25:   236.6 lbs
Oct 3:      235.8 lbs
Oct 17:    239.0 lbs
Oct 23:    236.6 lbs
Nov 3:     234.6 lbs
Nov 9:     230.8 lbs
Dec 1:     230.8 lbs
Dec 6:     227.2 lbs
Jan 2:      230.8 lbs
Jan 9:      228.8 lbs
Jan 15:    226.0 lbs
Jan 22:   224.8 lbs
Jan 31:   224.6 lbs
Feb 6:    223.8 lbs

Total weight loss:  66.2 lbs
Was really good during the Super Bowl.... until the Patriots lost and then it was celebrating without concern for the consequences. Doh!

Still managed a win for the week.

Yeah. We are very seriously debating adding booze back in on weekends. I’ll do Whole90 — don’t give a crap about the food — but damnit taking away our booze.... :hot:  

may have a drink or two tonight...
How the heck did this post go four days without comment?

I think I'm two weeks into this thing and it's fine but I am not sure about the whole "tiger blood" thing. 

What should I expect and when should I expect it?

I already eat "cleaner" than 99% of the population so maybe I should lower my expectations for "tiger blood".

On a different note I am surprised at how easy kicking booze has been. Frankly I have been concerned for awhile that I may be a functional alcoholic, but I think Whole 30 has taught me that I am actually just a binge drinker so...WINNING!

So I'm something like 20 days in.  We did drink alcohol this past weekend, but never deviated diet-wise, despite the bag of dark chocolate Milano cookies staring at me from the cubpoard every night, and some restaurant meals out.

I think I've come to understand what is great about Whole30 and what is awful about it, and partly this is from reading up on it more in the past couple days.

What's great about it is it teaches you about your weak spots and bad habits.  For me, it's clear as day that the two things that have killed me most are (1) junk food snacking (mostly at night on the couch while watching TV) and (2) overdoing it with the alcohol every night.  I've gone without that for almost three weeks now, and I realize I don't NEED any of it.  Like, I can still hang out on the couch with my wife and watch some TV at night without guzzling a bottle of wine and a scotch or two, and without jamming a rack of Oreos into my face.  And the added benefit is you wake up the next morning actually feeling GOOD for a change.  Been a while since I experienced that on a regular basis.  Also, sleep has been better at night.

So, the great thing about it is you can find your bad habits, and learn to correct them because you learn you don't need them.  I'm hoping this lesson sticks, because even if that's the only thing that comes from Whole 30, it will be a massive overall improvement to my health and well being.  I'm down about 10lbs since the start, probably will lose another 5 before it's done, so losing 15lbs is a nice little fringe benefit as well.

What's bad about it is that it's not a great diet.  This article is what got me to thinking more about it, and it links to a US News survey and ranking of all diets.  Whole30 ranked #37 in the list of best diets.  That's, like, not good.  The doctors all bash it as basically being a gimmick -- the exclusions from your diet are completely arbitrary, and include lots of things that are good for you, like legumes and whole grains.  They say there is no science to back up any of the claims.  Ultimately they say it's just two people who don't really know what they're talking about who came up with a diet and it became a fad.

For me, I've noticed that, for example, my workouts have been worse.  That's probably in part because I'm eating a whole lot less, but I've also found I've lost some strength on my lifts and my recovery time is longer -- usually I'm sore days later now where, in the past, I might not be.  

So this morning I decided to start slowly deviating from it, by putting some whey protein in my banana and almond milk smoothie (I'm so sick of eggs for breakfast).  If the diet tells me not to add protein to my food, I'm thinking probably that's a stupid diet. I also decided to do it after reading this article last night indicating a recent study that said especially if you're over 40, you should overdo protein in your diet.  In other words, after that age, added protein has a dramatically increased effect on performance and muscle growth.  So, I'm going to start slowly weaning off Whole30 and adding in a protein shake probably each morning.

But in general, I'm glad I did this.  I'm near the end, and basically have completed the diet other than the alcohol that one weekend.  It's taught me where me weak spots are and I think, hopefully, has helped me correct some bad habits.  We'll see if that part "sticks," but if it does, it was well worth it.  

Great synopsis Otis. I agree with most of what you say. 

I put no stock in the diet rankings. Whole30 is basically an anti-inflammatory reset program vs a long term nutritional plan. It’s meant to teach you how certain foods impact your body/brain/energy/sleep. Grains, dairy, bad oils etc. 

Re:lifting and loss of strength. This is to be expected. You are probably in a calorie deficit and your body has much less stored sugar than you’re used to. You aren’t going to see gains while eating like this (unless you were untrained beforehand which it sounds like isn’t the case). 

Lift less. Give more time for recovery. Think of this as the cutting phase. Lose the body fat then focus on bulking. 

So I'm something like 20 days in.  We did drink alcohol this past weekend, but never deviated diet-wise, despite the bag of dark chocolate Milano cookies staring at me from the cubpoard every night, and some restaurant meals out.

I think I've come to understand what is great about Whole30 and what is awful about it, and partly this is from reading up on it more in the past couple days.

What's great about it is it teaches you about your weak spots and bad habits.  For me, it's clear as day that the two things that have killed me most are (1) junk food snacking (mostly at night on the couch while watching TV) and (2) overdoing it with the alcohol every night.  I've gone without that for almost three weeks now, and I realize I don't NEED any of it.  Like, I can still hang out on the couch with my wife and watch some TV at night without guzzling a bottle of wine and a scotch or two, and without jamming a rack of Oreos into my face.  And the added benefit is you wake up the next morning actually feeling GOOD for a change.  Been a while since I experienced that on a regular basis.  Also, sleep has been better at night.

So, the great thing about it is you can find your bad habits, and learn to correct them because you learn you don't need them.  I'm hoping this lesson sticks, because even if that's the only thing that comes from Whole 30, it will be a massive overall improvement to my health and well being.  I'm down about 10lbs since the start, probably will lose another 5 before it's done, so losing 15lbs is a nice little fringe benefit as well.

What's bad about it is that it's not a great diet.  This article is what got me to thinking more about it, and it links to a US News survey and ranking of all diets.  Whole30 ranked #37 in the list of best diets.  That's, like, not good.  The doctors all bash it as basically being a gimmick -- the exclusions from your diet are completely arbitrary, and include lots of things that are good for you, like legumes and whole grains.  They say there is no science to back up any of the claims.  Ultimately they say it's just two people who don't really know what they're talking about who came up with a diet and it became a fad.

For me, I've noticed that, for example, my workouts have been worse.  That's probably in part because I'm eating a whole lot less, but I've also found I've lost some strength on my lifts and my recovery time is longer -- usually I'm sore days later now where, in the past, I might not be.  

So this morning I decided to start slowly deviating from it, by putting some whey protein in my banana and almond milk smoothie (I'm so sick of eggs for breakfast).  If the diet tells me not to add protein to my food, I'm thinking probably that's a stupid diet. I also decided to do it after reading this article last night indicating a recent study that said especially if you're over 40, you should overdo protein in your diet.  In other words, after that age, added protein has a dramatically increased effect on performance and muscle growth.  So, I'm going to start slowly weaning off Whole30 and adding in a protein shake probably each morning.

But in general, I'm glad I did this.  I'm near the end, and basically have completed the diet other than the alcohol that one weekend.  It's taught me where me weak spots are and I think, hopefully, has helped me correct some bad habits.  We'll see if that part "sticks," but if it does, it was well worth it.  
By the way you can do non-dairy protein. 

Not trying to be snarky @Otis but if you had alcohol on Saturday then you are on day 5, not day 20. The Whole 30 website is very clear about that.

Falling off, even for a second = hard reset.

Not trying to be snarky @Otis but if you had alcohol on Saturday then you are on day 5, not day 20. The Whole 30 website is very clear about that.

Falling off, even for a second = hard reset.
It's a fake diet some guy and his wife made up, with a bunch of totally arbitrary rules.  NO PEANUTS, BUT YES CASHEWS OMGGG!!

I'll happily put my own little arbitrary twist on it -- a little alcohol at the midpoint, and some whey protein -- if it better suits me.

This is a very thoughtful post, particularly from you. Typically I have come to expect little more than "POTATOES!!! BAM! SUCK IT!" or "Ugh, I can't believe I ate the whole thing..." posts from you in these threads. So the fact that you went into detail and even provided your own research links says a lot to me.

That being said a couple things stand out. Ranking this diet #37 seems pretty arbitrary as well. There is nothing that legumes, dairy or whole grains that provide that will have any negative impact on your health by skipping them for 30 days. Particularly when you are eating nothing but vegetables, unprocessed proteins and healthy fats. Whole 30 is essentially the foundation of every single legitimate, effective healthy eating lifestyle in the history of mankind. Eat vegetables, lots of them, plenty of unprocessed protein and healthy fats. That's it.

Finally, not to be too much of a Richard but no, you really haven't done it. You had alcohol on day 15 and on "day 20" you are making another compromise. No compromises is part of the lesson.

Getting through 30 days is kinda the whole point.

It's a fake diet some guy and his wife made up, with a bunch of totally arbitrary rules.  NO PEANUTS, BUT YES CASHEWS OMGGG!!

I'll happily put my own little arbitrary twist on it -- a little alcohol at the midpoint, and some whey protein -- if it better suits me.

BAM! SUCK IT WHOLE 30!
FYP

What has worked for me:

1) Actually look at the calorie count of stuff I'm eating so I'm informed, even if I don't track it daily. Though better to track it.

2) Look up online how many calories maintain my current weight, and how many to take in for losing 1-2 pounds a week.

3) Find foods I enjoy that fit in that calorie count.  For me, concerned about diabetic stuff, this also means low carb things I enjoy.

4) Find what sates my hunger so I'm not fighting the urge to eat.  For me this mostly involves some amount of fat each meal (cheese works great), and avoiding artificial sweeteners.

5) Realizing that some starchy carbs (like pizza crust) just stick around in the digestive track for 4-5 days, which is really disheartening on the scale if you don't expect it to happen.  (Example:  My birthday weekend pizza splurge, had 3 pizzas over 4 days. Enough extra calories to account for no more than a pound or so. The scale went up *** 13 pounds *** by Sunday night. By Thursday night the weight had mostly all passed and I was back to where I'd started.)

6) Exercise where I can. Aerobic, calorie-burning, but something I can do and enjoy.  For me that was an exercise bike in front of the TV while I watched sports, movies, or binge watched.

And the great thing about all of this is... it's not a diet, it's not a fad that I'm going to grow tired of.  It's something I think I can make a lifestyle change and stick with.  The whole thing hinges on finding foods I enjoy that sate me that I can eat in quantities I like without it hurting me on the scale.  If you're happy with what you eat, you're going to stick to it a lot better than you are doing fad diets.

Yeah but then you’ve kinda completely bailed on the whole point of it. 

Also not surprised you’re too good for it. 

And, you're rationalizing.

It's called Whole 30 not Whole Everyday for the Rest of your Life.

ScottNorwood said:
Kale recipes, whatcha got?
Big bag of kale (one I was using from costco was 8 servings)

2 slices of thick cut bacon diced up

Half an onion diced up

Couple cloves of garlic diced up

Fry bacon, onion, and garlic in a big soup pot.   Throw a few cups of water in and the bag of kale.  Cook on low covered for like 10 minutes.  Stir around on occasion to mix all that fried goodness together.     I liked still having some water left after cooking so that I could throw in some potatoes and basically have somewhat of a soup but you can adjust to your preference.   Was eating this like crazy as my main veggie for awhile, but I've since switched to steamed broccoli.  Might have to circle back soon.   

Adding hard boiled eggs to my diet rotation as a snack. 80 calories. Though don't want to overdo them with the cholesterol.

mr roboto said:
Yeah but then you’ve kinda completely bailed on the whole point of it. 

Also not surprised you’re too good for it. 
Some of us can do in 20 days what others need 30 to do.  Nothing wrong with that. World needs ditch diggers too. 

Users who are viewing this thread