What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (12 Viewers)

No booze and under my calorie goal yesterday.  I basically stayed off my phone and the news last night and just read a book.  Was kinda nice and I slept well as a result.  I also got a nice long walk in the afternoon, right after the news broke.  

This is stupidly hard.  Anything in a can or box seems to have more sodium than it should.
My breakfast today was a 1 oz box of cinnamon toast crunch with some 1% milk.  Probably around ~ 200 mg of sodium.  Not too bad.  Then I look at my planned lunch - one of those frozen meals (only 370 calories but like 1300 mg of sodium    :shock:  ).  And that meal isn't even filling for me so I'll likely eat some pineapple with it.  That doesn't leave me a lot of room for dinner.  From a calorie standpoint, I'm fine (1890 daily max is pretty easy).  Keeping the sodium under 2300 mg is much more challenging.  From now on when I do buy these frozen lunch meals, I'll try to stick with lean cuisine or options where the sodium is under 600 mg.  Thankfully I don't eat these very often.  

Good luck staying off the booze.  

Hey, those of you who have home rowers, what model do you have?  Thinking about starting.  I'm on a wait list for a Concept2 but not sure if I want to spend that much or wait that long.
I bought a water rower and love it.  I ordered from a local exercise equipment store and it was delivered within a week of ordering versus direct from the company was going to be 2 months.

I have used both the water rower and concept 2 before and like the feel, function and sound of the water rower over the concept 2.  Love the swooshing of the water. Good luck!

Well, I was coming in here to ask for permission to have a day of heavy drinking (after three days with no drinks) in reaction to today's events, and then I read of MOP's and kev's friend's genuine issues.  I'm still going to drink, because #### this ####, but wanted to tell you guys to hang in there.  MOP, many people here genuinely care, so if there's anything we can do to help, let us know.  Or just use this as a sounding board or to rant or whatever will be best for you.  Sending good vibes your way.
Oh hey, by the way, I've been stress-eating and drinking for two days and will have to re-set next week.  #### all of these people.  Oh so sorry that I'm not in "healing" mode for our dear owner's preference, but #### these people.  #### them.  #### them.  A day plus later and I'm just as angry.

Anyway, gimme a week before I give a #### about eating and drinking right again.

By the way, in case I wasn't clear, #### these people and their enablers.

Oh hey, by the way, I've been stress-eating and drinking for two days and will have to re-set next week.  #### all of these people.  Oh so sorry that I'm not in "healing" mode for our dear owner's preference, but #### these people.  #### them.  #### them.  A day plus later and I'm just as angry.

Anyway, gimme a week before I give a #### about eating and drinking right again.

So I think #### means LOVE, right?

Fits in every spot except the 5th one.

Very eloquently put.  I do a lot of body combat which is basically just a bunch of punches and kicks.  For the past month or so, I've been imaging a few specific individuals standing directly in front of me.  It feels great!

Good week of exercise for me (hit my movement and calorie goal every day).  Haven't had a drink since Saturday (and didn't really even crave one) but will drink tonight (but limit myself to 2-3).  Behind on push-ups by 185 which I'll make up today.  It's so hard to limit sodium intake but so my goal will be to eat the foods that I normally eat but work on controlling portion size.  

Under my calories again yesterday and got in a treadmill walk while my dog glared at me.  (Dog doesn't understand why we weren't walking outside in 40 degree light rain.)

Still no booze.  5 days dry so far.  Sleeping so much better.  Feeling better overall.  

Still need to add some additional exercise, but I can already see some noticeable results from just eating better.  I'm sure it's water weight or whatever, but I have to be down a decent amount even after only 5 days.  

Keep up the good work all!  Even @krista4 and her LOVE of everyone.  

Haven't had a drink since Sunday ( no drinking M-T)  :bowtie:
:hifive:   I did the same. Mostly as a way to kick-off the diet, but partially just to make sure I could still do it. Only weak moment I had was when I opened my ski locker Wednesday and there on the shelf was a beer, just staring at me. I remember leaving it there last year as a treat to future-me. Sometimes past-me can be a real ####.

Under my calories again yesterday and got in a treadmill walk while my dog glared at me.  (Dog doesn't understand why we weren't walking outside in 40 degree light rain.)

Still no booze.  5 days dry so far.  Sleeping so much better.  Feeling better overall.  

Still need to add some additional exercise, but I can already see some noticeable results from just eating better.  I'm sure it's water weight or whatever, but I have to be down a decent amount even after only 5 days.  

Keep up the good work all!  Even @krista4 and her LOVE of everyone.  
Still amazed that the word “love” got filtered.

I wanted to share a very special day that I had yesterday with my beautiful wife. It's been a trying week, both for America as a whole and ourselves as a married couple. On Fridays we try and have a lunch date but that turned into an entire afternoon that became an excursion into Johnathan Dickinson State Park in Hobe Sound, we saw maybe 12-15 horses being fed, nobody around except a nice German couple with 2 lovely small children(barely walk) enjoying the horses as much as we were inside the park. I somehow found a little bier garden they had set up and we found a secluded path and we poured on the PDA then we climbed our way to the top of this look out tower which is a 360 close to the coastline/Jupiter Lighthouse and we have pictures with the ocean behind us one way and the sun setting on the other, what an incredible view and the cost to do all this was just about nothing. 

-I believe when you exercise outside a lot and do things like cycle or play tennis under a full rising moon, you get an appreciation for some things in life and you also discover some internal balance IMHO. 

-We were asleep by 9:00, I slept like a baby. 

Health in marriage and relationships is important. Food cravings can be triggered by emotions. We triggered an ice cream indulgence on the way home last night but I don't think that was a bad thing 😉 

One more good post before I head to the courts this morning and that's going to be what this post is about. 

-When I returned from pandemic break where the Tennis Courts were closed and my social life disrupted, it meant a lot to be able to get back out there and my time away I worked on my weight so when I returned I could get better and become a stronger player. 

-I now run an 8 man Round Robin style Doubles League on Thursday Nights and it has a name...Legends League and there is a waiting list to get in, I'm considering having a once a month invite where we swell to 12 or 16...we throw in a couple bucks to make it interesting and then we all go to the clubhouse 20 feet away for a quick beer or two and break for the night. 

I have a new knick name on the Tennis Court/Club that I am very proud of and I think it's a reflection of some of the work we have done here. Because I am running things and guys just have to show up, I do all the text/emails/rankings, I'm the Commish but everyone calls me "The Mayor" and there are some other stories I could share but I want to keep this post somewhat short and sweet. 

You all have helped me elevate my status in my social group at the Tennis Courts where I was on the bottom and now I am on the top in more ways than just winning a few sets. My group or "Crew" as I like to call them has guys from all walks of life, we got a couple Vietnam Vets who own local businesses in my area, a super cool attorney that always shares the legalities of questions that arise in the group, we have a general contractor, a realtor, a Merril Lynch guy, and the point is this little nucleus is more than I could have ever hoped to be a part of let alone be looked at as the leader in this Motley Fool group. 

Thanks! I could never have done this without staying focused. I drink the beers but I rarely join these guys for food and when I do I usually watch them eat and just have a beer or an ice tea and listen to their stories of where they've been and what they've seen. It's awesome and I get all the stories to file away. 

Cheers!

OK, 35 degrees is about the limit. Maintained an 18:34 pace for three miles, which is not bad for an old, fat guy. This is the third week in a row I've been short of my exercise goal, which is not something I want to groove. But the scale says I lost 2.5 pounds this week, so off I go for pre-game migas.

kevzilla said:
OK, 35 degrees is about the limit. Maintained an 18:34 pace for three miles, which is not bad for an old, fat guy. This is the third week in a row I've been short of my exercise goal, which is not something I want to groove. But the scale says I lost 2.5 pounds this week, so off I go for pre-game migas.
What section of Florida is this? Panhandle or Central?

Stayed off the booze yesterday. Went barely over my calories, but it was Friday. So I said 'LOVE' it. 

Now to get a few chores done and watch some NFL. Hope we still have some of that low cal kettle corn. 

I have a deal with my brother who is being sworn in at the VA up in D.C. as the new Pres is being sworn in, we try to not discuss you know what but...I assume  this has something to do with that painted up viking that got loose in the Capitol up there. 

All jokes aside, I understand how you feel, you have every right to be as angry and more angry. I know you well enough to know that you'll calm down and you're more likely to help the next person you come across than harm them, it's just who you are. 

I just had the most delicious brunch, these hen eggs or blue/brown eggs cost like $9 a dozen, ludicrous expensive BUT they sure beat the hell out of looking at that viking on the cover of every media outlet from here to nantucket if you catch my drift. I'm too busy making memories in 2021 already with my wife and family and I hope in less than 250 hours or close to it that we can all move forward together, it's part of why I've chosen to stay as close as I could to the path we've laid out for me. 

I'm going to have a glass of wine and toast in your honor tonight, I hope you enjoy whatever food and drink you need and also am going to celebrate a little more today and enjoy these NFL games as much as I can without over doing it. 

Cheers to both Kristas

Legs are wicked sore, from a week of skiing. I Love it.

Headed home tomorrow and then it’s off to Jackson hole for another 9 days of shredding the gnar!   :pickle:

Utah is cute. One night, when I was night skiing, I ordered a 9.6% abv beer.  The waitress was concerned that I didn’t have my own entree. :lmao:   Wife and I were sharing and I knew my kid wouldn’t finish her pizza. 

Legs are wicked sore, from a week of skiing. I Love it.

Headed home tomorrow and then it’s off to Jackson hole for another 9 days of shredding the gnar!   :pickle:

Utah is cute. One night, when I was night skiing, I ordered a 9.6% abv beer.  The waitress was concerned that I didn’t have my own entree. :lmao:   Wife and I were sharing and I knew my kid wouldn’t finish her pizza. 
Man I wish I had learned to ski when I was younger.  One of my big regrets in life.

I bought a water rower and love it.  I ordered from a local exercise equipment store and it was delivered within a week of ordering versus direct from the company was going to be 2 months.

I have used both the water rower and concept 2 before and like the feel, function and sound of the water rower over the concept 2.  Love the swooshing of the water. Good luck!
This is super helpful  :thumbup:   I'm looking at both, and in reading comparisons, people are saying that the C2 ergonomics are better for the lower back due to the seat being pitched forward slightly.  I do tend to have lower back pain at times.  Did you not find that with trying both?  Or for you I take it the ergonomics were just fine with the waterrower?  The quietness of the water does appeal to me. 

The workout area at my complex is being rebuilt, removing weather-related issues. It will include a water rower. I'll check it out at some point. 

Me - 42 (too old for an old fart like me to learn something as complicated as skiing?)

Kids - 4 and 6

live in suburbs of Philly
You’re not too old. 6 and 8 would be perfect years for the kids to start.  I am utterly unfamiliar with east coast skiing.  But there’s gotta be some thing close by. 

FYI yoga people, adriene has a new series going called burn. I am not doing them in order but I just did day 6 because I was looking for a core workout and it's interesting. She does a weird breathing exercise at the beginning but it's basically pretend sit-ups. Sit up straight and just flex your abs like you're doing a situp and breathe like you actually did one. Some other exercises ending with boat ups and some stretching. Not bad. 

FYI yoga people, adriene has a new series going called burn. I am not doing them in order but I just did day 6 because I was looking for a core workout and it's interesting. She does a weird breathing exercise at the beginning but it's basically pretend sit-ups. Sit up straight and just flex your abs like you're doing a situp and breathe like you actually did one. Some other exercises ending with boat ups and some stretching. Not bad. 
I'm doing this one.  The program is actually called "Breath"; "Burn" was just the name of Day 6.  As seems to be usual for her set programs, Day 6 was much harder than the rest so far!  I was a little skeptical of the month since it is focused on breathing, but it's been excellent.  I've learned I think three new types of breathing, but there's been a decent amount of sweat, too, and some new moves I hadn't done in her other programs.  Not looking forward to when she gets to alternate-nostril breathing, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is super helpful  :thumbup:   I'm looking at both, and in reading comparisons, people are saying that the C2 ergonomics are better for the lower back due to the seat being pitched forward slightly.  I do tend to have lower back pain at times.  Did you not find that with trying both?  Or for you I take it the ergonomics were just fine with the waterrower?  The quietness of the water does appeal to me. 
To me the WaterRower just seemed like a little better overall quality compared to the concept 2.

The biggest issue I have with rowing for long times is my right foot going numb.  The more I have rowed the less this has been an issue.  I can go a good almost 20 without having any foot issues whereas before it was much shorter.  I try to stop after first 15 min then maybe every 10 min after for a quick adjustment of my feet.

im also not going all out rowing now.  Usually going at a pace of 2:15 min per 500M.  Versus before on both rowers I was using as part of a HIIT and going for shorter distances are much higher intensity.  When I would do at  a high intensity many times my form would be scarified for speed and I did have some back issues on both when I did that.  I’m doing  about 40,000 meters per week and haven’t had any back issues yet in past 3 months

I'm doing this one.  The program is actually called "Breath"; "Burn" was just the name of Day 6.  As seems to be usual for her set programs, Day 6 was much harder than the rest so far!  I was a little skeptical of the month since it is focused on breathing, but it's been excellent so far.  I've learned I think three new types of breathing so far, but there's been a decent amount of sweat, too, and some new moves I hadn't done in her other programs.  Not looking forward to when she gets to alternate-nostril breathing, though.
That makes more sense. 

I could do better with my breathing in general but I don't know how much I want to learn different techniques for it, so I guess I'm a skeptic too. But if you say it's good I'll give it a shot off and on.  Hurt my toe recently so I'm doing my planks with a bolster under my ankles and I've been rowing instead of running, but I am almost better and would love to add some more yoga in. 

I'm using magnetic resistance (sunny health and fitness rower) and it's also very quiet. Padded seat and I'm not getting back pain but I do get some soreness in my abs/back after a longer row. Good price point and folds up smaller if that's a concern. 

That makes more sense. 

I could do better with my breathing in general but I don't know how much I want to learn different techniques for it, so I guess I'm a skeptic too. But if you say it's good I'll give it a shot off and on.  Hurt my toe recently so I'm doing my planks with a bolster under my ankles and I've been rowing instead of running, but I am almost better and would love to add some more yoga in. 
I liked the Ujjayi breath that she taught in Day 3 of this ("Anchor").  Day 7 and I think Day 5 were ones I liked, too.

Ill give it a whirl on monday. Gotta keep the juices flowing in between Utah and Wyoming 

Toe felt better but not good enough to run so I went back to an old standby yoga, abs arms and attitude. Kicked my butt today for some reason. I'm not sure what my body is trying to tell me but I'm hearing "lie down and watch playoff football". 

Finished off the weekend strong.  Just walking for exercise both days but also did some leaf raking and other yard work both days and ended up with over 10k steps both days.  8 days of no booze.  

Scale said I lost 8lb in my first week back at it.  I must have been really bloated and full of crap (literally) at that first weigh in, because there's no LOVING way I lost 8lb in a week.  

Keep it up!

Somehow despite going completely off the rails for five days, I still lost 0.6 lbs.  Not what one would hope for the first week of losing, but considering I basically gave up a few days in, I'll take it.

So now I'm just going to reset and restart.  To get back to my low weight last year, I need to lose 12 lbs.  Starting again today.  Be back with hopefully a better report next Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread