What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (11 Viewers)

Poke_4_Life said:
Week 3, day 1 today.  I did 78 pushups on Wednesday.  

I've done the program before but never finished it.  I think my form is better this time, as I'm incorporating some yoga thoughts and trying to keep my spine in alignment with a long neck and my hip bone tucked, all while trying to keep my facial muscles relaxed.  That has really helped.
That's very impressive.  By the end of the 6 weeks, I was only able to complete 84.  You will likely shatter 100.   :thumbup:

I had another bad week after a good week. Went away to our mountain place for a week, snowed in with the kids, snd we both basically ate and drank whatever. In past years this would be the part where we just stop caring and keep doing that till next January. But not today. 

Instead I’m recommitting and doubling down. Sunday I’m joining the wife on a no alcohol stretch. Going to start rowing and doing push ups more regularly. And going to increase my calorie surplus to whatever number gets me to 2.5-3 lbs per week (not the 2 of MFP)—by my math I need to have a further caloric deficit of another 250-500 calories. (Really very easy here, as I was doing that much in 2-3 drinks of alcohol, so replace that with water and tea and flavored seltzer and I’m there already). 

Eight weeks. I am going to do this for eight weeks. At the end of 8 weeks I will have lost over 20lbs, and will basically be at my first goal, a 20-year low, and through a couple of the prior plateaus. I will then reassess.  Honestly, without alcohol for 8 weeks, which Mrs O is pushing me hard to join her on, which will help, this will be very very achievable. 

And it’s 8 weeks. Seriously. Who can’t do something for just 8 weeks. 

Going to stock the fridge with some more low cal frozen meals. They’re not the best food for you I know, but on a night when Mrs O makes spaghetti and meatballs or tacos for the kids and I’m tired and want something quick, pretty easy to nuke one for a light 300-400 cal dinner and they taste pretty good. But I’m largely going to go with the Chop’t salads I’ve been ordering in those situations. 

Looking at the calendar tomorrow. Gonna go buy a big printed one to hang on the wall and do that satisfying X off the boxes each day. 

“It's not about how many times you fall, but how many times you get back up.”

As a diabetic, I live a relatively low-carb lifestyle. Due to no power and water, I've been living on Atkins bars for a week.
Started a diet this week and, although it isn't Atkins level, I'm averaging about 70 net carbs a day.  Looking like the weight loss will be more than I predicted based on just calorie deficit.  I'm thinking, the drop in carbs is making me retain less water.

Started a diet this week and, although it isn't Atkins level, I'm averaging about 70 net carbs a day.  Looking like the weight loss will be more than I predicted based on just calorie deficit.  I'm thinking, the drop in carbs is making me retain less water.
Almost certainly, if you were previously at 200 carbs or more, as is typical. It's nice to get a little jump-start.

Two similar classes, very different styles. Saturday was yoga with adriene, Sunday I did five parks yoga and felt like I was cheating on adriene the whole time. 

Yoga with adriene- yoga for strength vinyasa flow 40 minutes - lots of vinyasa/sun salutations, with repetitive movements that are well explained and paced so you break a good sweat but get rest when you need it

Five parks yoga- yoga for strength and tone 55 minutes - starts out similarly but you are on your own for knowing how to do the poses.  Where Adriene has so many key words she uses to remind you what you're about to do, like "together we'll meet... in downward facing dog... ", Erin just says go to downward dog for three breaths. There's very little transition between poses, almost no explanation and less time in a lot of poses (especially rest poses) but because of that you do get a lot more work in, and I sweated not stop. She almost tipped over a couple times because it was hard. Also a lot of new poses or modifications on poses we've all done before. And no rambling stories or oh look a butterfly. 

All things considered I like both but I think it will depend on how I'm feeling each day. 

Two similar classes, very different styles. Saturday was yoga with adriene, Sunday I did five parks yoga and felt like I was cheating on adriene the whole time. 

Yoga with adriene- yoga for strength vinyasa flow 40 minutes - lots of vinyasa/sun salutations, with repetitive movements that are well explained and paced so you break a good sweat but get rest when you need it
Glad to have this one.  I did no yoga yesterday or today due to (1) having done some on Friday that apparently were harder than I thought, because my abs have been killing me, and (2) pizza.  So I'm looking for something a little longer than my usual workday one for tomorrow.  This will do nicely.

Glad to have this one.  I did no yoga yesterday or today due to (1) having done some on Friday that apparently were harder than I thought, because my abs have been killing me, and (2) pizza.  So I'm looking for something a little longer than my usual workday one for tomorrow.  This will do nicely.
I'm pretty sure we did this one before, she's in front of water but it's not voiced over and you turn around on the mat. I definitely remember doing something like this before. But it's a pretty good one. 

Closed out MFP on about 1100 calories, about 500 less than I was allotted for today. When I closed the diary I got a warning, basically said you need to eat more, we don’t want to condone or encourage this, so we’re not telling you the 5 week result etc. :lmao:  

1 day down. 55 to go. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Closed out MFP on about 1100 calories, about 500 less than I was allotted for today. When I closed the diary I got a warning, basically said you need to eat more, we don’t want to condone or encourage this, so we’re not telling you the 5 week result etc. :lmao:  

1 day down. 55 to go. 
You got the anorexic teen warning.  Don't keep doing it, but I find it quite ironic.  

Five parks yoga- yoga for strength and tone 55 minutes - starts out similarly but you are on your own for knowing how to do the poses.  Where Adriene has so many key words she uses to remind you what you're about to do, like "together we'll meet... in downward facing dog... ", Erin just says go to downward dog for three breaths. There's very little transition between poses, almost no explanation and less time in a lot of poses (especially rest poses) but because of that you do get a lot more work in, and I sweated not stop. She almost tipped over a couple times because it was hard. Also a lot of new poses or modifications on poses we've all done before. And no rambling stories or oh look a butterfly. 

All things considered I like both but I think it will depend on how I'm feeling each day. 
I am in the same lot with feeling like your cheating when you try other workout routines or instructors. I actually feel that way with Adriene after doing Peloton workouts primarily for 10 months.

1 day down. 55 to go. 
Do you eat back your workout calories? 

Good news!  I gave away half of them.

Bad news!  I bought eight boxes.
I love the coconut dreams? I think that is the name.

My MIL buys about 27 billion boxes a year and tries to pawn them off on us. The wife has a gluten allergy and we both have dairy intolerances, so that never happens anymore. One good thing about having to abide by ####ty diet restrictions. Less tempting really when you know the consequences. 

I love the coconut dreams? I think that is the name.

My MIL buys about 27 billion boxes a year and tries to pawn them off on us. The wife has a gluten allergy and we both have dairy intolerances, so that never happens anymore. One good thing about having to abide by ####ty diet restrictions. Less tempting really when you know the consequences. 
They have a gluten-free one (toffee-tastic) that’s actually very good, but I guess with the dairy issues those still wouldn’t work.

Didn't do as much yoga this weekend as planned.  Also probably drank more than I should.  Oh well.  Didn't weigh today.  Think I'll switch my official weigh in to later in the week since I seem to be back on the weekend booze train.  

Adriene day 22 yoga was about 30 mins, lots of thigh work.  Warrior poses, high lunges, that type of stuff.  I enjoyed this one, but for some reason my back started really hurting after...  probably from my ice fall.  Heating pad, NSAID and booze helped.  

Adriene day 23 was 24mins, lots of arm work.  I did this right after doing 93 pushups, so this was a challenge.  Had lots of planks, some half warriors and then side stands at the end.  Pretty intense for only 24 mins.  I wimped out a bit because the pushups didn't let me 'rest' in plank.  I did do the side stands and held on for the full time.  

Adriene day 24 was <20 mins of hip stretches.  Pretty gentle, sitting on a towel most of the time.  I even got a few good cracks out of the lower back which may help alleviate some of my hip/back pain from the ice fall.  My hips are oddly flexible, I don't get it.  My forward fold still looks like crap, but I can easily kiss my toe or shin in the hip poses.   :shrug:

Finally nice weather here, so going to hit the pavement in a bit.  Got to walk the dog yesterday for the first time in over a week.  It was a whole new world for him.  

Keep up the good work everyone!

I did this one today.  Whatever the hell I did Friday that killed my abs is still affecting me, so the hardest part of this for me was the cat-cow, which was extremely painful!  Wtf.  I did enjoy this one, and though I don't remember the flows themselves, I remember some of her silly comments so am sure I did it before.  This is one of those that doesn't feel difficult to me (other than crow, which I skipped) but somehow I found myself breaking a sweat anyway.  Definitely a good one to keep in the rotation.  I love standing half splits.

Today begins my road back to a weight and place where I'm comfortable.  This translates to about 25 pounds in weight and, hopefully, less joint pain.  I eat like an express train.  Still, my normal level of activity usually keeps the weight under control.  But, I tend to lose the bubble at times, especially after injuries and inactivity. 

Sorry Otis, not going with a fad diet.   Plan is to eat less, stretch more and work my way back to an exercise program.  Along the way, I plan to cut back on alcohol; try to stay hydrated; focus on natural, minimally processed foods; and only eat when I'm hungry.  In other words, a figurative piece of cake.

Goal is to lose 2 pounds a week, which would get me to target weight by the middle of May.  That would be more gradual weight loss than some of the low carb diets I've done.  Just need 12-13 weeks of consistency and to clear a hurdle or two, such as the Saint Patrick's Day exception.

OK, its documented.  Time to deliver.
One week in and the scale says down 6 pounds.  Based on calories, I think there was a legitimate 3 pound loss and another 3 in water weight, due to the inherent drop in carbs.  Nice start - I'll take it in stride... should help offset any bad weeks.

Not exercising yet but pain in the foot/ankle is lessened.  Hoping that, by this time next week, I can bump the activity level.

Really enjoy eating.  Natural foods have included fruits (banana, orange, berries), chicken, steak, beans, nuts, seeds and a good mix of vegetables that have found their way into salads, omelettes, stir-fry or a homemade soup/chili. Snacks include plain Greek Yogurt with fresh fruit added; rediscovering teas in the evening.  Really not omitting anything from the diet - looking for balance and even had fish and chips on Friday but substituted rice for the fries and saved 1/2 for lunch, when I could have eaten the whole meal out of habit.

Not using an app or counting calories but I did set a rough target of 1,500 a day.  Figured, I would track and adjust, as needed.  Over the first five days, I tracked meticulously and was pretty consistent around the 1,300 level.  Not hungry so that number is fine...  Curiously, protein and fat intake were virtually dead even and "net" carbs were in the 70-80 range.  Not tracking religiously now as think I'm in that same range and I'm not worried about deficit or surplus.  I'll trust the scale.

One week in and the scale says down 6 pounds.  Based on calories, I think there was a legitimate 3 pound loss and another 3 in water weight, due to the inherent drop in carbs.  Nice start - I'll take it in stride... should help offset any bad weeks.

Not exercising yet but pain in the foot/ankle is lessened.  Hoping that, by this time next week, I can bump the activity level.

Really enjoy eating.  Natural foods have included fruits (banana, orange, berries), chicken, steak, beans, nuts, seeds and a good mix of vegetables that have found their way into salads, omelettes, stir-fry or a homemade soup/chili. Snacks include plain Greek Yogurt with fresh fruit added; rediscovering teas in the evening.  Really not omitting anything from the diet - looking for balance and even had fish and chips on Friday but substituted rice for the fries and saved 1/2 for lunch, when I could have eaten the whole meal out of habit.

Not using an app or counting calories but I did set a rough target of 1,500 a day.  Figured, I would track and adjust, as needed.  Over the first five days, I tracked meticulously and was pretty consistent around the 1,300 level.  Not hungry so that number is fine...  Curiously, protein and fat intake were virtually dead even and "net" carbs were in the 70-80 range.  Not tracking religiously now as think I'm in that same range and I'm not worried about deficit or surplus.  I'll trust the scale.
Congrats!  This is fantastic work.

Although it's glorious today, I'm not walking. I just got hot water for the first time in a week and a half. Some things are more important than exercise, and hygiene is one of them.

After today, it's gonna rain for a week. LOL. I'll try to find holes in the weather.

I did 100 pushups today.  Personal record.  The 6-week program keeps going, so I will too.  This is the end of week 3 for me.  

Then I did day 26 yoga.  It was 'earth' based and mostly involved on the ground poses/stretches for 23 mins.  Pretty easy.

Yesterday's yoga was day 25 was dancing warrior, it was around 30mins long and involved warrior into high lunge moves.  It was a good one.  

Been good about tracking my calories and staying off the booze this week.  Feeling like I'm mostly over my ice fall, just have a few little aches/pains that I can generally work out in the yoga sessions. 

It's a nice plus that at this point in the 30-day she gives a lot of flexibility so I can take care of my lower back pain at those times.  However, long term I think I want something different.  I prefer yoga that is more move here, breathe, move here, breathe, and less 'do what feels right'.  I also tend to prefer the moves/sessions focused on strength and flexibility and less on the meditation/breathing.  If nothing else these sessions have helped me learn what I like and don't like and will help me find a better 'practice' long-term.  

So glad the weather has turned here (and I never lost power/water/etc.), been out walking the dog every day this week.  I'm getting spring fever and it's been 60+ most of the week.  It's also noticeably staying light so much later in the evenings.  

Keep up the good work!

I did 100 pushups today.  Personal record.  The 6-week program keeps going, so I will too.  This is the end of week 3 for me.  

Then I did day 26 yoga.  It was 'earth' based and mostly involved on the ground poses/stretches for 23 mins.  Pretty easy.

Yesterday's yoga was day 25 was dancing warrior, it was around 30mins long and involved warrior into high lunge moves.  It was a good one.  

Been good about tracking my calories and staying off the booze this week.  Feeling like I'm mostly over my ice fall, just have a few little aches/pains that I can generally work out in the yoga sessions. 

It's a nice plus that at this point in the 30-day she gives a lot of flexibility so I can take care of my lower back pain at those times.  However, long term I think I want something different.  I prefer yoga that is more move here, breathe, move here, breathe, and less 'do what feels right'.  I also tend to prefer the moves/sessions focused on strength and flexibility and less on the meditation/breathing.  If nothing else these sessions have helped me learn what I like and don't like and will help me find a better 'practice' long-term.  

So glad the weather has turned here (and I never lost power/water/etc.), been out walking the dog every day this week.  I'm getting spring fever and it's been 60+ most of the week.  It's also noticeably staying light so much later in the evenings.  

Keep up the good work!
Damn, congrats on the 100 pushups!  That seems amazingly quick to get to that level.

I did three short Adrienes this morning, none of them worth posting about.  I'm happy to get some time in, even though they weren't my favorites.

Doing well on eating and not drinking...today.  Last night there were spontaneous margaritas and queso dip with my mom.  Then there were cookies.  So many cookies.  This weekend I'm renting a beach house with a couple of friends I haven't seen in a year, so we'd might as well say right now that Monday will be yet another restart for me.  :(  

Keep posting on Fred’s thread instead of this obviously superior one. 

Despite some cheat days and even a couple full weeks off the rails, down 16lbs on the year in less than two months. And it hasn’t been hard. Just tracking on MFP but letting loose at times when it makes sense. It’s freakin working. And I haven’t even exercised much other than walking the dog (literal).

Having some wine tonight. Enjoying life. Let’s go everyone. You really CAN have it all. 

Despite some cheat days and even a couple full weeks off the rails, down 16lbs on the year in less than two months. And it hasn’t been hard. Just tracking on MFP but letting loose at times when it makes sense. It’s freakin working. And I haven’t even exercised much other than walking the dog (literal).

Having some wine tonight. Enjoying life. Let’s go everyone. You really CAN have it all. 
Good stuff.  Yup I agree that it’s not that hard when you simply just track what goes in.  I don’t really even get that hungry anymore.  But as you said, you can still enjoy all the good stuff (just in moderation).

Good stuff.  Yup I agree that it’s not that hard when you simply just track what goes in.  I don’t really even get that hungry anymore.  But as you said, you can still enjoy all the good stuff (just in moderation).
It’s so true. And here’s the thing, in short bursts, you can even enjoy the good stuff NOT in moderation. You can go totally bananas for a day. Or several days. Or a week.  It’s a long term game. It helps us to track calories daily, but really it’s calories weekly or even monthly that make us look how we look. 

So live your life, enjoy some stuff, just don’t be stupid. God this is so damn easy when you have clarity. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My Saturday morning ritual is usually to do a 55 minute, 650 calorie burning body combat session.  But I turn 43 tomorrow so decided to do it today and take it easy tomorrow.  I have a colonoscopy on Tuesday so my birthday present for tomorrow is to get a Covid test.  Yay!

Skipping pushups today so I’ll do 200 tomorrow and complete 3 straight months of 100 pushups a day.   💪

Alright I’m back and going to use this thread for accountability. Tipped back up at 245 (bout a week and a half ago, likely worse now - shall check tomorrow AM) and that’s not where I want to be. 

Threw away the sweet treats that have been largely fueling this run this morning. Procured some fizzy water to try to fill in some of the ‘I just want something’ gaps. Not going to go too hardcore on the diet at first, but will be much more reasonable than things have been of late (I’m looking at you 4 cookies last night).

Hit the peloton for 30 minutes and then did some push ups. 

Plan is going to be peloton / row at least 5 out of 7 days then hit push ups / ab ripper 3x a week each.

Back to 235 is goal #1. 

This is awesome. 

Not to get ahead of myself and start prematurely doling out advice, but here are three lessons I took too long to learn, for anyone else who may be following this thread and struggling to lose weight and get healthy:

1. Cardio is Key.  I used to think it was stupid and bad on my joints and I hated cardio. As a high school basketball player cardio was punishment--when you did something wrong, you had to run.  Turns out making space for that extra 500-1000 calories each day goes a long way in the calorie balance; it also gives you energy and strengthens your heart and other muscles. That’s not to say you absolutely need cardio to do it. But I’ve learned that it’s a whole lot easier to do it in a sustained way with cardio. And if you’re like me and your knees suck or you hate one type of cardio, find another. For me it’s rowing which is low impact and easy on my knees and it seems to be working, and I don’t absolutely hate it. Heck, I almost look forward to it. But just find something that lets you get your heart rate up and burn 500-1000 calories in 30-60 minutes almost every day (at least 3-4 times a week, but more is better for a variety of reasons). 

2. Alcohol is Poison.  Lots of us grew up and live and work in a culture of alcohol abuse—where it’s totally accepted.  And even though it never really made me do any alcoholic-y things like lose a job, and I still don’t and wouldn’t qualify myself as an alcoholic, the multiple or several bottles of wine Mrs. O and I ripped through on a nightly basis for years is just so awful for you.  That’s hundreds upon hundreds of extra calories every day, and what’s worse, it makes you feel like crap in the morning, which means you’re less likely to make a good decision and exercise in the morning, you’re going to feel crappy, and you’re more likely to make lots of bad eating decisions all day.  It’s a death spiral, quite literally. Do this over a sustained period of years and I don’t see how one could possibly be in good physical, or hell, mental shape.  I’m not quitting alcohol—I’ll still have a beer on occasion, or a scotch or two at the end of a long week.  I may still tear it up with a few drinks at a big event like a wedding.  But gone are the days of daily and habitual alcohol abuse.  All these years I thought that question on the form at the doctor’s office was laughable and didn’t apply to me (2 drinks a week, or 4, or 6+?  How about per night???).  Turns out them doctor folk actually know when they’re talking about when it comes to doctory stuff.  

3. Don’t Diet.  Everyone has told me this for a while but I never really understood it.  I always imagine I had to be sitting there with an apron at my counter every night dicing tomatoes and arugula or whatever, which is never happening.  But it turns out there’s a moderate way to eat. Instead of the bad sugary snacks, why not have some peanuts?  Some cheese?  A piece of thin whole grain bread with avocado?  It’s actual food. You can have a Chips Ahoy on occasion when you’re really hankering, but just one, not a whole sleeve.  Drinks lots of water instead of alcohol, or get saucy and stick up some flavored seltzers in your fridge to mix it up.  This isn’t a diet. I’m not counting calories. I’m not only eating one type of food. I eat sensible meals, with proteins and some veggies; I work some salads in when I can.  And I cut the really bad stuff and the excess.  Could I eat better than I do currently?  Absolutely, and I’d like to keep improving on it. But for now I just eat like a normal human should eat.  No wacky restrictions, not staring at a piece of lettuce for dinner and thinking “man just two more weeks and then I’ll hit my goal and go back to eating what I like to eat!”  Just find a real way of eating real food that works for you, and do that. Like, forever. And keep the sugary snacks to a minimum, because I’m convinced that, after alcohol, they’re the second worst thing for you.  Again - a cookie is cool on occasion, a little chunk of dark chocolate is cool, but that’s it.  Maybe a piece of cake after a Sunday dinner at a family party.  All acceptable. It’s not about taking things off the menu entirely; it’s just about making the menu mostly about the good stuff the vast majority of the time. 

I’ve come to figure out that, at least for me, it can’t be about weight loss.  That’s the wrong way to think about it, sets up some perverse incentives, and just wasn’t sustainable.  Instead for me it was about finding a lifestyle that makes me feel good and be fit and healthy, and the weight loss just follows all on its own.  But it isn’t the driver.

Not preaching, because I ain’t quite there yet, but I feel like I’m sort of almost there. And maybe I just needed a decade or so to figure this all out for myself. It’s pretty simple stuff and yet was pretty enlightening for me. 
fun reread

yoga with adriene total body yoga deep stretch 45 minutes of good deep stretching which i very much needed recently. I won't even complain about the misandry of the cow legs pose.  🐄 🦵 
Saving this one, too.

I've had no yoga since Thursday.

I went to a beach house with friends and did nothing but eat and drink from Friday afternoon until today.  Well, I did get up earlier than the others yesterday and walked on the beach for a few miles.

Then I got home and found ex-Mr. krista here making lasagna.

Tomorrow is a new day!  Accountability, seriously this time.*

*I do have a massive special dinner on Lumen Field (Seahawks/Sounders field) on Thursday night, but that's my only exception.

Alright I’m back and going to use this thread for accountability. Tipped back up at 245 (bout a week and a half ago, likely worse now - shall check tomorrow AM) and that’s not where I want to be. 

Threw away the sweet treats that have been largely fueling this run this morning. Procured some fizzy water to try to fill in some of the ‘I just want something’ gaps. Not going to go too hardcore on the diet at first, but will be much more reasonable than things have been of late (I’m looking at you 4 cookies last night).

Plan is going to be peloton / row at least 5 out of 7 days then hit push ups / ab ripper 3x a week each.

Back to 235 is goal #1. 
Happy to do some rowing with you GB.  It’ll earn me a bunch of calories each day.  Let’s do it. 

Back to 235 is goal #1. 
244.4. Game on. 

Nice to have eagan and rowtis back at it.  I actually had a question for you two... When you guys do MAF on the rower how are you seeing your heart rate? Does the concept2 have a sensor or are you checking a separate hr monitor or ?

Users who are viewing this thread