What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (16 Viewers)

Honestly haven’t tried.  I was having some minor health issues past couple weeks and so I was laying off the working out.  Trying to ease back into yoga, just haven’t gotten there yet.  But I’ve been walking the dog etc.  But I’ll tell you, during fasts I feel I have MORE energy.  I fully believe it’s because, once you get over the hurdle, your body doesn’t have to constantly burn energy digesting crap, and so you just have more energy.  I’m not suggesting I’d do a lot of strenuous working out while not eating.  But at least for me, and probably for the vast majority of us, the problem is 90% diet.  It’s not the lack of burpees, it’s the box of devil dogs.  

Anyway, I’m going to weave some regular exercise back in—yoga, rowing, walks.  but I really dig the fasts.  

Note, I’m not sure 24 hours is enough.  I think the key is to go a full day and overnight.  Go to bed on an empty stomach, and give your body a chance overnight to do no digesting, and instead just focus on rest and repair.  I find I wake up feeling pretty darn good.

A little bummed I ate tonight, because I was curious to see how I’d feel tomorrow morning after two days, but baby steps. 

Do it!
PS I’m not a doctor and this is not medical advice consult your doctor and all the other Bfred stuff.

225 on the button this morning.  It’s not a terrible weight for me, but I’d still love to try and make some progress to lose another 10 or 20, which would put me in all healthy ranges/metrics.  According to my Wyze scale:

- Body fat at 27.8% (in the yellow, but at least no longer in the red; in the green would be 21%, a ways to go)

- BMI at 27.4 (smack in the middle of the yellow “overweight” range; but at least no longer over 30 (red/obese); under 25 would put me in the green

- Visceral fat is at 11 (in the green; 12 being the threshold into the yellow region)

225ish is basically where I always stall.  Maybe this new regular fasting deal will help propel me there.  I’ve gotta say, I feel a lot better at 225 than I do at 240/245; but man, then I think how much better I’d feel at 210…

This week:  239 lbs       Last week:  245 lbs

Change:  -6 lbs               Loss to date:  42 lbs

------------------------------

Target weight:  207 lbs

March 12:   281 lbs  
March 19:   274 lbs
March 26:   270 lbs
April 2:       265 lbs
April 9:       262 lbs
April 16:     259 lbs
April 23:     256 lbs
April 30:     254 lbs
May 7:       251 lbs
May 14:     249 lbs
May 21:     246 lbs
May 28:     245 lbs
June 4:      239 lbs
Was not expecting 6 pounds. Guess I had some water and other temp weight from last week when I couldn't exercise and indulged in eating a bit after the medical procedure.

Hitting a steak house today for lunch as a reward. Also started physical therapy on my shoulder, so hopefully in a month or two I'll be able to start doing some weight training.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have actually changed friends from eating like trash and drinking believing they can't have fun when out. They always thought you can't have a goal and enjoy yourself at the same time. 

I'm always like, I'll get a really nice nacho app and chicken César salad with multiple beers instead of a cheeseburger and large fires. If I choose the drinks wisely and not just all huge double IPAs, but maybe a big IPA, a pilsner, and a G&T I can get away with a solid balance without crushing the goals.

For me its about education on calories and getting a proper judgement for items. Then, planning the beers and drinks before they happen. 🍻
Knowing how many calories makes such a huge difference.

I was picking a restaurant last night to go to today, and check the nutrition guide for a couple on what I might have. Some of the calorie totals were so far off from what I'd figured they probably were.  Amazing how you can save 500 calories by substituting a different side, for instance. 

Knowing how many calories makes such a huge difference.

I was picking a restaurant last night to go to today, and check the nutrition guide for a couple on what I might have. Some of the calorie totals were so far off from what I'd figured they probably were.  Amazing how you can save 500 calories by substituting a different side, for instance. 
Salads usually have more calories than cheeseburgers or about the same, and fish and chips is usually much worse than chicken fingers and fries.  

Was going to do another 36 hours or more, but Mrs. O on me pretty hard today about being too extreme, why can’t I just eat normally, etc.  Honey, I’m kind of Internet famous for fad diets, have you met me?

(She claims she’s worried about my health and having a heard attack. I think she’s just nervous I’ll get too handsome this way.)

Anyway, just ordered some Indian food and cracked a beer. I’ll have a meal and couple drinks and then I’ll need to figure out a way going forward to lie about my fasting periods. Because honestly I feel awesome today. Not eating is way better than eating.  And setting aside the feeling great, I’m convinced I’m gonna lose weight this way. 

Maybe I need to do some research and educate her that this is healthy. 

Was going to do another 36 hours or more, but Mrs. O on me pretty hard today about being too extreme, why can’t I just eat normally, etc.  Honey, I’m kind of Internet famous for fad diets, have you met me?

(She claims she’s worried about my health and having a heard attack. I think she’s just nervous I’ll get too handsome this way.)

Anyway, just ordered some Indian food and cracked a beer. I’ll have a meal and couple drinks and then I’ll need to figure out a way going forward to lie about my fasting periods. Because honestly I feel awesome today. Not eating is way better than eating.  And setting aside the feeling great, I’m convinced I’m gonna lose weight this way. 

Maybe I need to do some research and educate her that this is healthy. 
There are a lot of words to describe what you have shared the last week or so, but healthy ain't one of them. 

I have no doubt you think 36 hours of nothing followed by Indian food and beer then repeat is healthy. 
I drank water all day. Super hydrated. Dinner was rice, chicken, vegetable samosa, naan. And yes some alcohol. But civilizations have thrived on that meal. 

Anyway, I would rather have not eaten till tomorrow but wives, ammiright 

Gonna continue with the on/off fasting for a couple more weeks and see where we land. But so far I’m liking it. 

Otis is right.  When I was thinking about regular fastings, the first thought that crossed my mind was “how am I going to hide this from my wife?”.   It would be so much easier if I were single.

I’m just gonna start lying and be like “oh I had a salad already” or “oh I picked at the girls’ dinner, I’m good”. Stuff like that. Because I’m going to bed on a full stomach now and I hate it. Would have much preferred skipping and enjoying some nice meals tomorrow. Ah well. 

fred_1_15301 said:
Otis is right.  When I was thinking about regular fastings, the first thought that crossed my mind was “how am I going to hide this from my wife?”.   It would be so much easier if I were single.
For me the problem is always weekend breakfast. ‘We are going to go get bagels’ - weird to just sit there and eat nothing. Thus my IF usually out the window on weekends. 

I can't relate with any of this - my wife and I support each other in our goals to be healthy. We cheat, plenty - we're spending today sipping manhattans and healthy eating will cease to exist starting in about 2 hours. But there is no such thing as food/drink shaming if one opts out of cheating while the other does. But from my experience there is a strong correlation between this sort of behavior and those that struggle to maintain health. A supportive spouse/environment is a must if one is to be successful in their health goals.

I have good and bad news. First, my pace this morning was 17:34  :shock:

Of course, I stormed around the neighborhood because the scale said I gained 2.2 pounds this week. There was the holiday weekend, I had the blood-sugar episode on Wednesday, I went to the bar last night, yada yada. I'll have a better trip nest week.

I have good and bad news. First, my pace this morning was 17:34  :shock:
Dayum.  Has to be the fastest you've posted, isn't it?

Adriene and I worked on my third chakra today.  Didn't want to do anything because I was, oops, hungover, but I forced myself into 39 minutes.  I was also energized by the annual HOA meeting I attended where there was a successful coup!  I've never attended an HOA meeting anywhere I've lived before, and this one will be a lot to live up to.

bostonfred said:
I'm not a big believer in fasting but I'm not an expert.  I would probably run it by my doctor if I were you.  But you are leaning in to the fact that you are able to put in the work during the week and struggle on the weekends so maybe this actually is the right idea for you.  I worry about muscle loss and getting enough vitamins and fiber and all the good things that you get from food.  I don't know how this works but will of course be rooting for you 
Anything specific here?  There’s some interesting research around longevity and fasting.  I believe we eat too much and too often, generally speaking but I’m no expert either.  I mainly do it for the blood sugar benefits.

ETA - I should say outside what you include in your post.  I think the key thing is making sure your non-fasting time includes healthy food.  

Otis said:
I’m just gonna start lying and be like “oh I had a salad already” or “oh I picked at the girls’ dinner, I’m good”. Stuff like that. Because I’m going to bed on a full stomach now and I hate it. Would have much preferred skipping and enjoying some nice meals tomorrow. Ah well. 
Dr. Longo at USC I think is one of the more renowned longevity experts.  He says to eat a vegan diet with a little fish.  He also says don’t eat within 3 hours of bed time.  YMMV.

No walk today. I had a tremendous cramp in my sleep last night, and my right calf is making it hard to get around the house this morning. I think I'll be able to get out there tomorrow.
Pickle juice and bananas (not together) might help with that.  Pickle juice can apparently stop cramps really quickly for some people.  I watched my dad go from agony to completely fine almost instantly once and he didn't drink much. Bananas are more for avoiding cramps in the first place.  Watch for signs of clotting. I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. 

Just did another HASFIT 45-min resistance band workout.  These people are growing on me.  I did a shorter 30-min version on Friday and a light 30-min down dog yoga session yesterday.  

Didn't eat too poorly over the weekend, except for one cheat meal.  Not really sure it was even worth it as it bothered me most of the next day.  I did drink too much over the weekend, shocking to nobody.  

Keep up the good work!

I have been making some bad food decisions too. I had an epiphany last night about mine but let's start with yours. 

When I try to diet, I track calories in myfitnesspal and plug in my. Urrent weight and age and say I'm sedentary then I add every bit of exercise I do throughout the day and eat back those calories.  That way I reward myself for exercising. I went from walking and jogging a minute or two when I started two years ago, to running 60 miles in the last 12 days, and have also added rowing, push ups, a little weight lifting, yoga and assisted pull ups off and on because I want those extra calories. 

I find it much easier to choose foods I like to eat that are healthy, nutrient dense and low calorie and plan to eat them every day.  For me that's coffee, yogurt/skyr with strawberries, raspberries and blueberries in the morning, a whole microwavable bag of broccoli cauliflower and carrots, and some kind of lean protein like chicken or shrimp. The raspberries in particular are loaded with fiber and the vegetables are good too, and the strawberries and blueberries have a ton of antioxidants and vitamin c among other things, plus it bulks up my breakfast and makes it feel like more food. 

After that I have discretionary spending of like 550 calories. Some days that's some homemade fried rice, or an egg sandwich and some chicken tenders when I make my kid's lunch, or maybe pizza or chick fil a if I want a treat.  If I do more exercise I have more discretionary calories.  It works for me for months in a row before I get fatigued, take a break and start back up again.  I'm currently in one of those breaks but trying to get motivated to start another push.  

The other thing that helps is posting here daily regardless.  I started a separate thread called let's lose some weight because I was posting too much in here and we've had some nice success stories come out of that one especially Corporation.  It helps. 

Good luck dude
Appreciate it but that’s too much work for me. I know my recent posts aren’t off to a good start but I’ve always been able to shed weight fast when I want to.

Eat good, stay away from soda, man made foods and exercise. That’s it. Once I get about two weeks in I get into a zone and it’s routine. 

For me it’s simply about avoiding impulsive decisions early on. Once I go a few days without “ x “ I’m completely fine and adapt.” X “ being weed, sex , food, etc. 

Today I start. 

AM Coffee

Lunch:

strawberries, banana, peanuts 

plans for later

Bike 5 miles

push-ups, pull ups, sit-ups 

Dinner: 

steak, asparagus, rice. 

Optional - midnight- small bowl of cottage cheese with peaches and natural peanut butter. 

Just got off the mat.  40-min down dog session, full practice, core boost.  Man, that was good.  Still a no for me on side crow poses.  Balancing was a little hard today but it's been 5 days since I have done those.  Got better near the end.  

No booze and significantly under calories yesterday.  

Keep up the good work.  

Last night- I was too lazy to make the cottage cheese, peaches, PB concoction.

Today: 

AM coffee

Lunch 

Two steak fillets wrapped in bacon, water. One piece of Hershey’s chocolate. 

Dinner: Chipotle chicken, brown rice, salad. Water.

midnight - three tablespoons of cottage cheese, 2-3 peach slices, one teaspoon natural PB. 

Did another HASFIT workout this morning.  Kinda liking them, but most of their programs are behind a paywall.  Trying to find a new plan (free) now.  

No booze yesterday.  Was well under my calories until I found a 480-cal cookie that I forgot over the weekend.  That damn cookie put me basically at my daily allotment.  Damn it.  

Keep up the good work.  

Weighed myself (before lunch) yesterday and was at 189.8. (-11.2 lbs) Dropped some water weight apparently, though te bubblegut still shows when I wear a t-shirt. 

AM Coffee 

Lunch - steak and spinach, one piece of Hersey chocolate 

Post work- workout-

Dig holes for and plant 8 trees out front. Maybe ride my bike for a few miles if I’m up to it. 

dinner- Raw oysters, 1-2 beers.

midnight - three tablespoons of cottage cheese, 2-3 peach slices, one teaspoon natural PB. 

I’m reading a pretty great book on fasting by Dr. Fung. I haven’t fasted this week yet, mind you, but it’s been one of those weeks. But I am looking forward to my next one. Perhaps tomorrow into Friday evening dinner. 

Just got off the mat.  40-min down dog yoga session, full practice with flexibility focus.  I was feeling stiff/sore from yesterday's workout and this fixed that.  

Right at my calories yesterday because of some bourbon last night.  

Keep up the good work.

I have a thing. My right foot hurts, right on top, right in the middle. Last night I had a pronounced limp, and I felt today's walk was in jeopardy. This morning, the pain was still there, but it was a little better, so I went. I had some discomfort, but my pace was 18:46, so it wasn't a big impediment.

I just got up and walked around, and I can barely feel it. I'm old. And weird. And old.

Did a 30-min HIIT session today.  My down dog subscription includes their HIIT app, so I tried that.  It was fine.  I think I like circuits better, or just aerobic band/dumbbell sessions.  

Was under my calories a significant amount yesterday and off the booze.  

Hoping to have a moderately behaved weekend.  (Have to set expectations, it is summertime.)

Keep up the good work.

Haven’t been in the thread in a while.  Great to see all the success.   

My structured MFP and 4 day/week healthy living program got me down to 194 or 195 a few weeks ago.   Those days are gone since horse show season started a month ago.   I quit tracking calories and the workouts happen when they can.  Some weeks it is only 2 workouts but I am crazy active pretty much every day.  I was 194.4 today.  It is so easy to keep the weight under control when you are moving around a ton and don’t have much time to eat.  

This week:  235 lbs       Last week:  239 lbs

Change:  -4 lbs               Loss to date:  46 lbs

------------------------------

Target weight:  207 lbs

March 12:   281 lbs  
March 19:   274 lbs
March 26:   270 lbs
April 2:       265 lbs
April 9:       262 lbs
April 16:     259 lbs
April 23:     256 lbs
April 30:     254 lbs
May 7:       251 lbs
May 14:     249 lbs
May 21:     246 lbs
May 28:     245 lbs
June 4:      239 lbs
June 11:    235 lbs
Lost a bit more than expected, 2 weeks in a row. Going to bump my calories a little higher to try to stay near 2-3 lbs a week. I've got extra exercise in the rehab but I don't really think it's all that many calories so I'm not quite sure why I dropped so fast.  Skipped my evening ride last night and went and had some Italian, and today is my rest day. I'll have a few extra calories to burn off after this. 

Rehab on my shoulder is going well, seems to have more range of motion without pain.  Hoping to get to the point I can do some weight lifting. 

That's amazing Greg 

I'll mention again that when you lose a lot of weight fast, you are more likely to end up with loose skin that you can't get rid of except surgically. What I've read suggests that pausing and letting your skin tighten and adjust to your new weight gives you a chance to build a little muscle, fill out your flesh costume and then get back to business.  I've been doing this gradually and have gone from 284.6 to the low 200s with some ups and downs during that time, and have apparently avoided that so far although I don't know what I'll look like when I eventually hit my target weight.  Is it worth it to you to hit the pause button soon, now that you're down almost 50 lbs/over 15 percent of your starting weight?

Adriene had a new session available on Monday.  I didn't note it, because I didn't find the practice all that compelling, but as the week has gone on I feel like I need to mention...I'm really worried about her houseplants.  (I don't know how to link to a specific spot in the video, but the sick ones on the left are particularly visible around seven minutes in.)  How can I address this?

Users who are viewing this thread