What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (13 Viewers)

Ran 6 miles at 9:32 pace this afternoon and my foot is holding up. Diet was solid outside the couple cookies I snacked on tonight. Had a couple beers while making dinner but still registered some excellent BP numbers tonight. Also had to tighten my belt another notch today.  :)  

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting - do you drink this?  I'm wondering because I'm not big on sweets, and I definitely do not like sweet drinks at all, so if I were to make it, I'd just have two ingredients.  Does that still taste good?

By the way, to be clear, yesterday notwithstanding, I'm not trying to reduce my alcohol consumption overall. 

It has the consistency of something like tapioca pudding. You can adjust how sweet it is by simply not adding in honey or agave or any type of sweetener. I eat it about every other day and I like how it tastes. The benefit of chia seeds are Omega 3, fiber, protein and magnesium among other things. Try it and find out.

In general it comes down to this - For your long term health, you need to do strength training and compound movements. It's good for your heart, your metabolism, your joints, your mental and emotional state and you have to consider that women as they age tend to be prone to osteoporosis. I'm a good deal older than nearly all of you. This kind of stuff I'm talking about impacts long term quality of life, not just cutting fat or looking good naked.

A while back, I had some serious health concerns. I was always in good shape, ate well, hydrated well and did regular strength training/mobility work. Combined with my resource base ( basically old man FU money), I was able to overcome. Many of you here talk about not being in shape and not eating better and not being as healthy as you like. OK, if you run into a medical issue, how strong will you be then to fight it? Take Otis. IIRC, he has two young daughters. If he's not strong enough to fight some medical situation and then maybe he dies. Who takes care of his kids? My godson's situation was extremely rare. I had a full lifetime of earning before I had to raise him on my own. And I was fully committed to doing so. Everyone here owes it to the people they love and have an obligation towards to be in the best health possible.

To support regular strength training and core work and mobility work and compound movements, your nutrition needs to support that. So that means cutting out alcohol almost completely.

But as I said before, baby steps.

The 30 day challenge I gave you before still stands. Sets of 10 air squats at controlled intervals all day long. Every time you check your phone or your email, do 10 air squats. I guarantee you if you do that consistently for 30 days, you'll see positive results and you'll want more.

But this message at this point is now for everyone. I want everyone here to get a couple of kettlebells. I can give you some basic goals and simple pathways to dramatically improve your health and fitness. The people here can form their own little kettlebell club.  You won't have to leave your house. You won't need to commute. You won't need thousands of dollars in complex space eating type equipment. I don't want your money nor your fealty nor your external validation, I want you all to be there long term for your kids.

Interesting - do you drink this?  I'm wondering because I'm not big on sweets, and I definitely do not like sweet drinks at all, so if I were to make it, I'd just have two ingredients.  Does that still taste good?

By the way, to be clear, yesterday notwithstanding, I'm not trying to reduce my alcohol consumption overall.  I do like to sip drinks throughout the day, so I take in a lot of liquids - iced tea (with or without caffeine depending upon time of day) and sparkling water with lemon or lime, in addition to the wine.  There was a time when I wanted to drink less wine, and I merely drank a lot more water instead.  That's what I do in the evenings, like tonight, when I don't plan to consume any wine.  But this is a nice option with more nutritional value than water, so it's great to have that in my back pocket as an option, too.

Open to any other ideas from anyone as to good non-boozy and non-sweet drinks as well!  Thanks for this.
my wife drinks a version of these.  i find the chia seeds to be one of the most repugnant things i have ever consumed.   hard no for me.

Bad day yesterday. Beautiful day, kids in school, work was slow, so Mrs. O and I went and had lunch.  Couple of beers there and some food that surely had lots of calories, but we didn’t go nuts.  

That part wasn’t the problem.  That was really nice.  The problem was later, when I immediately transitioned into “well, I did that, so at this point, what the hell,” and went completely off the rails last night. Pizza, wine, and basically every snack in the cabinets.  You can’t really appreciate what a hundred grand bar tastes like unless you wash it down with a Milky Way and some cheese doodles, right?  And that was just the entree.  

In any event, I’m going to work to make it up by being moderate this weekend.  Back on MFP this morning. 

I wish I could get motivated to start working out on the regular again.  I just can’t seem to find it.  I used to love how I felt when I was lifting at the gym regularly, or rowing regularly.  I can’t seem to get out of bed at 5 these days.  Maybe it’s the pandemic doldrums, working from home for an extended period.  I’m just gassed?  I dunno.  Anyway, going to try to solve that next week. 

Some things that help me stay on track each day when I'm dieting

• Coffee with milk but no food
  • Late breakfast/brunch 
  • A late lunch/afternoon snack that leaves me with enough calories for dinner.
  • Trying to leave myself 800ish calories for dinner most days, especially when I'm starting out.  
  • Eating  healthy early so i can have "Cheat meals" like an 800 calorie burrito with black beans/no rice from chipotle
  • No unplanned cheat days. Parcells used to say if you give a man an excuse he will take it
  • One item per meal. A burger and fries. No.  A burger OR fries, sure. 
  • Fiber and protein.  Yes they're healthy but also both super filling.
  • Remembering my goals. Theres a reason I'm doing this and I don't want to f it up. 

Temps down 25 degrees this morning, feels like more with the breeze. It was a little brisk for shorts, but I knew that wouldn't last. Indeed, it felt pretty awesome all the way around, and my pace was 17:47. Also, the scale says I lost 0.5 pounds the last two weeks, which means I was a pretty good boy this week.

I know why I'm doing it. I'm going to have a fairly comfortable retirement...if I get there. And when I get there, I'll want the full complement of feet and eyes with which I entered this world. There are really old dudes, there are really fat dudes. But really old, really fat dudes? Nope.

Ate well and no booze yesterday.  For lunch had an omelette with a couple of eggs, some red and green peppers and a wee bit of cheddar cheese.  OK, I should say instead I had what started as an omelette and ended up as a scramble.  :notacook:  For dinner I fixed some shrimp with zucchini, tomatoes, and chickpeas, in some yummy Middle Eastern spices.  Snacked on grapes and one bag of veggie snaps.  Also did 44 minutes of yoga.

Today will be more challenging.  I'm going to eat the rest of the shrimp dish for lunch, but then I'm going to my mom's house because they got a new pizza oven they want to try out.  Moderation will be key, as you all know pizza is my nemesis.  I'll walk back and forth to their house, which will give me a few miles on big hills.  Actually I need to take some stuff over there so I'll be walking with a heavy pack, too.

Since GordonGekko's posts seem to have a sparked us to remember why we do this, I'll share mine:  I just like to feel strong and fit.  I don't have kids nor do I care how long I live, other than outliving my mom so she won't be sad.  I've lived a big life already and I'm not asking for anything more.  I'm not overweight right now (but need to be conscious of not slipping into that), and all my health indicators are fantastic - my doctor literally said to me at my last visit, "You're going to live forever."  I just feel better when I'm thinner, and I like the strength and fitness that I get from yoga and being more active than I had been recently.

Managed 2 miles at a very moderate pace. No hills. But it’s a start. Ankle still hurts and doesn’t have full range of motion, but it’s time to push it. I’ll ice it later. 

i exercise to feel better and to be healthier. I feel so much better when I work out. Both mentally and physically. I’m not over weight, but since I enjoy all the beers, I could be. 🤪.  I love to ski, and ski hard. That sucks when you’re out of shape. Keep it up people!!

Bad day yesterday. Beautiful day, kids in school, work was slow, so Mrs. O and I went and had lunch.  Couple of beers there and some food that surely had lots of calories, but we didn’t go nuts.  

That part wasn’t the problem.  That was really nice.  The problem was later, when I immediately transitioned into “well, I did that, so at this point, what the hell,” and went completely off the rails last night. Pizza, wine, and basically every snack in the cabinets.  You can’t really appreciate what a hundred grand bar tastes like unless you wash it down with a Milky Way and some cheese doodles, right?  And that was just the entree.  

In any event, I’m going to work to make it up by being moderate this weekend.  Back on MFP this morning. 

I wish I could get motivated to start working out on the regular again.  I just can’t seem to find it.  I used to love how I felt when I was lifting at the gym regularly, or rowing regularly.  I can’t seem to get out of bed at 5 these days.  Maybe it’s the pandemic doldrums, working from home for an extended period.  I’m just gassed?  I dunno.  Anyway, going to try to solve that next week. 
:wub:

Some things that help me stay on track each day when I'm dieting

• Coffee with milk but no food
  • Late breakfast/brunch 
  • A late lunch/afternoon snack that leaves me with enough calories for dinner.
  • Trying to leave myself 800ish calories for dinner most days, especially when I'm starting out.  
  • Eating  healthy early so i can have "Cheat meals" like an 800 calorie burrito with black beans/no rice from chipotle
  • No unplanned cheat days. Parcells used to say if you give a man an excuse he will take it
  • One item per meal. A burger and fries. No.  A burger OR fries, sure. 
  • Fiber and protein.  Yes they're healthy but also both super filling.
  • Remembering my goals. Theres a reason I'm doing this and I don't want to f it up. 

It's too complicated to be honest. "Dieting" in a traditional sense and daily calorie counting/weighing is a type of self flogging.

OMAD/IF

One Meal A Day/Intermittent Fasting

You start with a 12/12, then you progress with one more hour of fasting over time. So for example, you fast for 12 hours a day, nothing but water or green tea ( caffeinated or decaf, it's up to you, but nothing else in it, if it's hot weather, you can cold steep it and add ice) Your eating window is then 12 hours.

Then in two weeks, add in another hour. 13/11

Every two weeks you keep adding in another hour of fasting.

Until you get to 20/4.

Then you oscillate between 20/4 and 22/2.

It's always better to have evening dinner as your "One Meal"  Why? Because it allows you to eat dinner with your family and not disrupt your family lifestyle. Not eating breakfast or lunch together in the modern family is not that unusual. Also for someone single like krista4, it allows her to socialize in the evenings with her friends or her fellow criminal conspirators like the human traffickers and not disrupt her cycle.

Getting one big meal allows you to deal with your cravings. You can eat cleaner and should eat cleaner. But if you have cravings and want a double bacon cheeseburger with fries, you can. ( Though it will be the only thing you eat all day because of the calorie load) And if you have that craving for a week, then you can get that craving out of your system. You can have a week of double bacon cheeseburgers with fries as your only food. If krista4 wants the slave labor in her basement, chained to the wall and forced to watch Brie Larson's Oscar winning performance looped on big screen all day, who packs her cocaine shipments and makes her pizza in that 20 thousand dollar industrial pizza oven to make her keto pizza every night, then so be it.

I say oscillate between a 2 and 4 hour eating window because a four hour window is long enough to socialize and eat. No one goes out at night and eats for four hours straight. That's enough time to sit down and have dinner and talk and have some dessert and get it all out of the system. The two hour window is for when you are by yourself, it won't take 4 hours to eat a double bacon cheese burger and fries. ( Will it? )

What are the psychological benefits/coping mechanisms?

You get to deal with your cravings, not try to suppress them. At some point, you will get sick of double bacon cheeseburgers

You stay to a calorie count, to some approximation

You get to have a larger meal that you find satisfying.

A larger meal in the evening will help you calm down and help you sleep

You have something to look forward to at night. "Dieting" is brutal because you don't have anything but the constant cycle of wanting, denying, breaking the willpower and self flogging. If I wanted that kind of happy horse #### for myself all the time, I would have gotten married.

What are the physiological health benefits?

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-health-benefits-of-intermittent-fasting

Doing it in the evening gives you a head start, you sleep at night (probably getting 2-3 hours head start since no one really eats a big meal and then sleeps in the next 15 minutes) which is anywhere from 6-8 hours for most people. You skip breakfast but many people are used to that. And then you skip lunch. The 12/12 is really a two meal a day system to start. You keep a late lunch and a dinner. You transition to One Meal A Day.

What about training?

It's best to do your training right when you get up. For me it's 4am every day. Or in the evening right before your big One Meal where it can also serve as a post recovery meal.

How do you structure the One Meal. Eat a stew to start. Get all your vegetables and macro nutrients inside of you. Stew allows you to hide things that taste horrible on their own. For example, if you want some apple cider vinegar and turmeric for health, you can pour a little in the stew. A vegetable and meat stew is pretty damn healthy for you and won't take a major calorie load to do it. As I mentioned before, I stick to a bean stew. Then eat something you actually will generally enjoy. Have an omelette with cheese and bacon if you want.  Even have some ice cream. The stew to start will give you a simple one pot filling meal that will limit you eating too much junk. Some people have late night cravings. OK, have some more stew. More vegetables, water, spices, chicken or beef and beans isn't going to kill you.

Mostly, it's simple. It's a lot easier because you aren't generally tracking calories down to the letter. I have 2000 calories. Or I have 1800 calories. Or whatever it is, as long as it fits in that big box, you are OK.

Strength training is critical because it's good for long term health. But also if you build up your muscle mass, whatever that will be for that person, you can increase your caloric intake. See those body builders on those videos? Look at what they eat. They eat so much they are actually tired of eating most days. You don't need to train and eat like that, but over a course of the rest of your life, another 200 calories a day in food  that you can take in and maintain a decent body weight because you have the muscle mass to support it is a big deal.

Notice I trend with everything I'm saying in this thread? Simple, inexpensive, a practical logistical pathway to do it, confronting the practical nature of human behavior, dealing with how people functionally live, building a system where you can stack consistency.

Bean stew in an Instant Pot that feeds you all week.

Kettlebell training you can do in your living room each night as you watch your Sopranos.

OMAD/IF so you can actually feel satisfied when you do eat.

I have been OMAD/IF my entire life. Most of it was unintentional. You think they were talking about this in the 80s when I was cruising around in a Porsche 944 Turbo taking down big scores in business while pulling quality and dropping loads?  I was too busy to eat normally. But then again there's nothing normal about raw unfiltered natural dominance.

Simple is better because simple is sustainable. You want to change your lifestyle, not diet. You want to develop positive habits not batter yourself with cravings and self flogging. You can't be me. The world would break if there were unlimited 3000 percent beefeaters running around causing havoc in the world. But you can get moderately close. Getting close is a damn good life.

134g protein

30g fiber

3794mg sodium 

Under calories, no alcohol.  Took my kid mini golfing and we shared an ice cream.  Fun day, and have another planned for tomorrow. Finished with a big dinner, but did one of the yoga for strength sessions and a run and was able to fit it all in. Sodium was high after being low all week, still averaging around 2300mg a day so not worried. 

Managed 2 miles at a very moderate pace. No hills. But it’s a start. Ankle still hurts and doesn’t have full range of motion, but it’s time to push it. I’ll ice it later.

If you are injured, especially in your ankle, why are you walking around? Or hiking. Or jogging. Or biking. Or power walking. Or treadmilling. Or whatever you are doing.

As a geriatric, let me lay this out for you. Injuries that you accumulate when you are young bear compound interest when you get old.

Your body is "talking" to you for a reason. It's saying stop. There's no shame in stopping. You cannot grow without taking risks, that's true, but you need calculated measured risks.

Get a mat and a medicine ball and you could still have a good solid workout without taxing your ankle to this degree.

Do you want to be another really old guy who can barely walk?

This is kind of corny maybe, but this is how I used to feel when I was getting up in the fours. Motivating me to start that again Monday. 

https://youtu.be/yZ-8l5li1tc

After hearing the Rock talk at the above link about “no one will outwork me,” I stumbled on this oldie but goodie from Denzel.  A good reminder for those of us who slipped heading into the weekend. https://youtu.be/0FB9i7P9Zs4.  Fall forward, gang.

Aside: I could watch Denzel read the phone book. 

Also for someone single like krista4, it allows her to socialize in the evenings with her friends or her fellow criminal conspirators like the human traffickers and not disrupt her cycle.

If krista4 wants the slave labor in her basement, chained to the wall and forced to watch Brie Larson's Oscar winning performance looped on big screen all day, who packs her cocaine shipments and makes her pizza in that 20 thousand dollar industrial pizza oven to make her keto pizza every night, then so be it.

:lmao:   Wtf?

Today will be more challenging.  I'm going to eat the rest of the shrimp dish for lunch, but then I'm going to my mom's house because they got a new pizza oven they want to try out.  Moderation will be key, as you all know pizza is my nemesis.  I'll walk back and forth to their house, which will give me a few miles on big hills.  Actually I need to take some stuff over there so I'll be walking with a heavy pack, too.

Let's not talk about yesterday.  :bag:  

I still haven’t figured out if he’s a real guy. I always assumed it was a group account and folks like Zartan and Truck were just passing the keys around. Weird dude.  

176g protein awesome

24g fiber not bad

5873mg sodium oof

Stayed under calories without running.  Got 9500 steps at the zoo with my kid this morning which I didn't count towards my calories, so I'm probably well into the green but I'm probably still burning through the initial bloat. Tomorrow will be day 7 so this should be the tail end of it.  

Sodium was high because I had buffalo chicken breasts and canned black beans with corn for dinner.  Can't do that every day but it was delicious. Will have to look into lower sodium options like cooking dry beans myself or buying reduced sodium canned goods but its so good

Not a great day but not a horrible day either.  Went to an all-day retirement party for my wife's aunt at an Indian restaurant.  The food was delicious and I did not hold back.  I even threw down 1 and a half beers.  A half you ask?  I had planned to only drink 1 but halfway through I got up and when I returned it was gone.  I felt violated so decided to get another out of spite.

I did sneak in a 20 minute body pump in the morning and a 15 minute body combat in the evening.  Will put down 100 pushups tonight while watching the game.  I ended up with a perfect week of burning 600+ calories.  

Not a great day but not a horrible day either.  Went to an all-day retirement party for my wife's aunt at an Indian restaurant.  The food was delicious and I did not hold back.  I even threw down 1 and a half beers.  A half you ask?  I had planned to only drink 1 but halfway through I got up and when I returned it was gone.  I felt violated so decided to get another out of spite.

I did sneak in a 20 minute body pump in the morning and a 15 minute body combat in the evening.  Will put down 100 pushups tonight while watching the game.  I ended up with a perfect week of burning 600+ calories.  
https://youtu.be/pcYYUU5tIxU

Plank pushup challenge i mentioned earlier if you want to try. 

I wasn't too bad this weekend, but also wasn't too good.  

Ate at home all weekend, so food was decent but also drank a decent amount.  Didn't log food consistently in MFP, so no idea if I went over on calories, and I'm sure the booze pushed it over.  I did walk the dog everyday and did the usual suburban weekend tasks in the yard and stuff.  

Lower back has been bothering me a bit, but after a good yoga session this morning (40-min down dog, core focus) my back feels great.  Need to keep on the mat consistently this week.  Will walk the dog in a big, it was just too chilly/dark this morning.  

Glad to see all the activity in here.  Keep up the good work!

No formal workouts this weekend, but I ended up walking 20 miles and burning 1,700 active calories in the process. Was shooting for 4 drinks and I think I ended up having 5, but as of yesterday morning my blood pressure was still fine at 115/75. Probably had too much sodium, but overall my diet was pretty good by weekend standards. 

Ran another 4 easy miles at 9:30 pace this morning and felt great. Still not sure when I'll be able to resume my harder runs though. No idea what's going on with this foot--it's neither getting worse nor getting better. Pain definitely isn't severe, just persistent. At least the easy runs don't seem to aggravate it at all so I don't have to go back to the elliptical yet. :D  Hope everyone else is doing well!

Last edited by a moderator:
I did ok yesterday and found this morning I’d lost 1.6 pounds since Wednesday, so not too bad overall.

I was in the Delta Sky Club this morning and did NOT have a mimosa.  What’s wrong with me?

Now I’m on my flight and in a WINDOW SEAT because some dummies (sorry, Otis) didn’t get seats together and asked if I would switch.  This seat is making me stabby, and I can’t guarantee I won’t have a glass of wine with lunch.

Not a great weekend, but could have been much worse. For a mini-vacation I’ll take it. 

Seems to be common theme in here, but my feet have been killing me so headed to the podiatrist tomorrow to try and get everything squared.

Onward and upward. 
Glad you're going to the podiatrist not just for the pain but the general mobility.  We"re getting to the age where this stuff doesn't just go away.  Get ahead of it. 

I'll start Day 1 tomorrow.  I'm seriously supposed to have Abs like that guy after 4 weeks?   :lmao:  
Did this tonight, finished all 30 without stopping but my shoulder and triceps are feeling it.  Also got on the rower tonight, might do a little more during the game but had to take a break because my kid wanted me to watch him practice drums and he's starting to actually get into it.  

Well I did an hour on the exercise bike but toe (I said foot but it's my ring toe that took the hit and is messed up) started to hurt so I cut the ride off there. Will give it another day or two of rest.

Printer still in one piece, but moved where I won't ram it again.

Users who are viewing this thread