What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR JuJu Smith-Schuster, NE (1 Viewer)

I'm really scared he's going to have a down-week this week. Idk why but it feels like a logical place for a dip in his production on such a short week. 
Historically, Thursday night has been low scoring. That said, there is support for a Big Ben bounceback since he's had 6 road games, and 3 home games against 3 of the top pass defenses. It's possible he plays his best game of the season tonight, but the short week might work against him, and therefore Juju. Also, that one Tenn CB is a ballhawk.

I'm so torn. Grabbed him a few weeks ago and now I have to think of benching Evans or Hopkins for him. Seems nuts on paper but he's been hot and has a better qb situation...

I'm so torn. Grabbed him a few weeks ago and now I have to think of benching Evans or Hopkins for him. Seems nuts on paper but he's been hot and has a better qb situation...
Maybe Evans. Don't know what kinda target share he'll get with his new QB. Hopkins though? Never...

Maybe Evans. Don't know what kinda target share he'll get with his new QB. Hopkins though? Never...
Arizona employs the shadow coverage and he’ll be shadowed by Patrick. Peterson has shut everyone down that he’s faced. A. Jeffery has been the most successful with 2 catches on 2 targets for 26 yds in week 1 he allowed Marvin Jones Jr. to catch his only target for 6yds and a TD meanwhile he’s shutdown Hilton, Dez, Evans, Garçon, Goodwin and Watson.

Hopkins say hello to the bench, bench meet Hopkins get acquainted with each other because you’re going to be buddies this week.

Tex

In my office league, which is fairly shallow rosters, he's available but I'd have to drop DeVante Parker to get him which I'm hesitant to do considering I'd likely be starting Hill, Diggs, and Thomas anyhow.  DeVante has been pretty consistent when healthy but doesn't have quite the upside due to the crappiness of that Phins offense.

Arizona employs the shadow coverage and he’ll be shadowed by Patrick. Peterson has shut everyone down that he’s faced. A. Jeffery has been the most successful with 2 catches on 2 targets for 26 yds in week 1 he allowed Marvin Jones Jr. to catch his only target for 6yds and a TD meanwhile he’s shutdown Hilton, Dez, Evans, Garçon, Goodwin and Watson.

Hopkins say hello to the bench, bench meet Hopkins get acquainted with each other because you’re going to be buddies this week.

Tex
Tbf, none of those guys have been as consistent as Nuk on the season (and with a subpar QB no less). I expect Nuk to be showered with targets regardless (especially with Fuller injured now). He may not even pass 50 yards but dude is money in PPR and will have double-digit targets and has the kinda hands that vacuum the ball. I'm expecting a floor of 12 in PPR and I'll be okay with that. 

Edit: I'm seeing Evans with 3 catches for 95 yards and a TD vs Arizona. Maybe that wasn't with PP shadowing at all times but that certainly bodes well for Hopkins finding some success out there as well. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit: I'm seeing Evans with 3 catches for 95 yards and a TD vs Arizona. Maybe that wasn't with PP shadowing at all times but that certainly bodes well for Hopkins finding some success out there as well. 
Evans caught the TD while PP was on the sidelines (I actually lost my game that week due to that play  :rant: ).  To that point Evans had done nothing.

Tbf, none of those guys have been as consistent as Nuk on the season (and with a subpar QB no less). I expect Nuk to be showered with targets regardless (especially with Fuller injured now). He may not even pass 50 yards but dude is money in PPR and will have double-digit targets and has the kinda hands that vacuum the ball. I'm expecting a floor of 12 in PPR and I'll be okay with that. 

Evans had 4 targets with zero catches with Patrick on him. I’m just giving you information not trying to convince you are anyone else to sit Hopkins. I’m sitting him based on the information I have today, he’ll be shadow by Patrick and he’s a shutdown machine.

ETA: I misplaced that data but yeah he didn’t cover him the entire game. Patrick came out of the game several times and Tampa began to throw to him a bit but don’t be fooled by that stat line.

Good luck,

Tex

Well, my league is standard scoring. I have to decide. I can't see sitting a guy that's RED HOT at home with a better qb situation than either Evans or Hopkins. And to the dude with Parker--what are you waiting for?! This time of year give me the guy on team bound for a deep playoff run rather than the guy on a dumpster fire. Gase = Kelly 2.0

Tex
Yes Peterson has shut down everyone he's faced, but teams have only thrown his way 32 times all season. Hopkins could get targeted 16 times in this game alone and has what it takes to win at least a few of those battles. I expect a lot of penalty flags. 

Yes Peterson has shut down everyone he's faced, but teams have only thrown his way 32 times all season. Hopkins could get targeted 16 times in this game alone and has what it takes to win at least a few of those battles. I expect a lot of penalty flags. 
Why would teams not throw at Peterson? Because he’s a hawk. If Hopkins gets 16 targets which I just don’t see happening PP will have at least one pick six and another Int to go along with it.

Hopkins just might have a good game but if PP is on him I don’t see it. I’m a Hopkins fan and I’m not taking that chance this week.

Tex

Why would teams not throw at Peterson? Because he’s a hawk. If Hopkins gets 16 targets which I just don’t see happening PP will have at least one pick six and another Int to go along with it.

Hopkins just might have a good game but if PP is on him I don’t see it. I’m a Hopkins fan and I’m not taking that chance this week.

Tex
The Texans last faced the Cards in 2013. Hopkins was a rookie. And PP was covering Andre Johnson and he caught 2 TDs. 

Also Peterson has one pick six in his entire career. It was against the Rams with Austin Davis at QB. So maybe he'll double that against the Texans. 

Nice that a down game for him is still over 8 points in PPR. He had some targets in/near the end zone and could have had another couple decent gains if he wasn’t interfered with. 

TwinTurbo said:
The Texans last faced the Cards in 2013. Hopkins was a rookie. And PP was covering Andre Johnson and he caught 2 TDs. 

Also Peterson has one pick six in his entire career. It was against the Rams with Austin Davis at QB. So maybe he'll double that against the Texans. 
Not sure what 2013 has to with 2017 but AGAIN it’s your team do what you wish Hell you might be right Hopkins may get 16 targets and blow up but I’m not taking that chance against a more experienced 2017 PP.

Tex

BigTex said:
AB has a great matchup he should blow up!

Tex
You called it. Juju was still looked at a fair amount, but he definitely a focus of the defense. They ended up letting AB get loose more as a result.  Wouldn't be surprised if next week flip flopped, and the D focuses a lot on AB letting Juju and Leveon get free more.

You called it. Juju was still looked at a fair amount, but he definitely a focus of the defense. They ended up letting AB get loose more as a result.  Wouldn't be surprised if next week flip flopped, and the D focuses a lot on AB letting Juju and Leveon get free more.
Steelers play the Packers next week. Both Brown and Juju should go bananas. Green Bay pass defense is truly horrible again this season. 

Watched most of the game, and while it was frustrating, I don't think there's a ton to be concerned of.  Target share remains healthy, had another end zone target, lost two potential catches and about 25 yards on two passes he was blatantly interfered with (and properly called).  Steelers' passing game was pretty safe for the majority of the second half with the lead in hand.  Felt like normal variability that is going to come with any WR2.

Watched most of the game, and while it was frustrating, I don't think there's a ton to be concerned of.  Target share remains healthy, had another end zone target, lost two potential catches and about 25 yards on two passes he was blatantly interfered with (and properly called).  Steelers' passing game was pretty safe for the majority of the second half with the lead in hand.  Felt like normal variability that is going to come with any WR2.
Not concerned at all, I just knew this had all the makings of a down-game for Juju. Still happy to have him in my flex. 

AB had Sims lined up against him last night. Sims has allowed 24 catches on 30 targets, with two touchdowns going into last nights game. AB blowing up on this kid was a given.

Tex

Not concerned at all, I just knew this had all the makings of a down-game for Juju. Still happy to have him in my flex. 
I sat JuJu he was going up against Logan and I just didn’t like the setup on that one. JuJu had a few opportunities but I had to bench him. Logan is a decent DB plus JuJu has been so hot I figured he might get some extra coverage.

Tex

This doesn't really have anything to do with fantasy, but one thing I found somewhat interesting about last night - the endzone celebrations.  Yes, I know they are corny and all.  I bring it up because Juju was a part of all of them, Bryant wasn't.  The whole manikin thing from AB, the "keep away" game, the bowing down to AB after his third TD, doing squats with AB on his back.....he was a part of each and every one of them.  Tells me the offense is viewing him as "one of the guys", not some 20 year old kid.  I think the Steelers organization as a whole is really liking this kid.  And he was blocking his butt of the entire game from what I could see.  Giving full effort on every play.  Yeah, the fantasy numbers weren't there last night, but this is a guy to be buying in dynasty. 

This doesn't really have anything to do with fantasy, but one thing I found somewhat interesting about last night - the endzone celebrations.  Yes, I know they are corny and all.  I bring it up because Juju was a part of all of them, Bryant wasn't.  The whole manikin thing from AB, the "keep away" game, the bowing down to AB after his third TD, doing squats with AB on his back.....we was a part of each and every one of them.  Tells me the offense is viewing him as "one of the guys", not some 20 year old kid.  I think the Steelers organization as a whole is really liking this kid.  And he was blocking his butt of the entire game from what I could see.  Giving full effort on every play.  Yeah, the fantasy numbers weren't there last night, but this is a guy to be buying in dynasty. 
It's weird I though the same thing this morning that Bryan didn't even hi-five any one :unsure:

It's weird I though the same thing this morning that Bryan didn't even hi-five any one :unsure:
That makes three of us but I don’t remember him being part of any celebrations. I was him a few weeks ago congratulating someone on their TD but I don’t remember who it was. But it seems as if they are going out of their way to tell MB they they’ll be fine without him.

Tex

That makes three of us but I don’t remember him being part of any celebrations. I was him a few weeks ago congratulating someone on their TD but I don’t remember who it was. But it seems as if they are going out of their way to tell MB they they’ll be fine without him.

Tex
Feeling the same, and maybe I'm reading too much in between the lines.  The entire team, especially AB, really seems to like this kid.  I hope that plays out with more targets and such. 

This doesn't really have anything to do with fantasy, but one thing I found somewhat interesting about last night - the endzone celebrations.  Yes, I know they are corny and all.  I bring it up because Juju was a part of all of them, Bryant wasn't.  The whole manikin thing from AB, the "keep away" game, the bowing down to AB after his third TD, doing squats with AB on his back.....we was a part of each and every one of them.  Tells me the offense is viewing him as "one of the guys", not some 20 year old kid.  I think the Steelers organization as a whole is really liking this kid.  And he was blocking his butt of the entire game from what I could see.  Giving full effort on every play.  Yeah, the fantasy numbers weren't there last night, but this is a guy to be buying in dynasty. 
I mentioned this in one of the WW threads earlier in the year but I noticed that when Funchess was scoring TDs, KB wasn't celebrating - hell he looked bummed out. Lo and behold he was traded a month later. I guess TD celebrations will be factored in my analyses moving forward.

I kind of wonder if this is the week Martavis gets a deep ball or two. The Packers secondary is vulnerable to the deep ball, and if JuJu is limited, Bryant may get more opportunities.
Bryant gets a couple every game and does nothing with it, he’s terrible!!!!

I realize a hamstring injury has no bearing on one's ability to type but if Juju was dealing with something serious I doubt he'd be Tweeting up a storm the way he has been this week. I'd be shocked if that went over well with Tomlin. So my guess is that barring a late-week issue Juju is locked in again with high WR2 upside in a dream matchup.

As for the new injury on the report, Tomlin mentioned rookie wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster suffered a “small” hamstring injury which could limit him early in the week of preparation. Tomlin would go on to say that, for a rookie who needs as many physical repetitions as possible, his ability to practice will be instrumental to him playing on Sunday night.

As for the new injury on the report, Tomlin mentioned rookie wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster suffered a “small” hamstring injury which could limit him early in the week of preparation. Tomlin would go on to say that, for a rookie who needs as many physical repetitions as possible, his ability to practice will be instrumental to him playing on Sunday night.
As my only weekend option not named Devonta Freeman, I'll probably end up having to bench Juju for Dez or Alfred Morris, so as not risk leaving a big fat goose egg in my flex if neither Freeman or Juju can go.

It pains me greatly, as I expected him to have a pretty decent night on Sunday. I fully expect him to suit up and play on Sunday, but it's now a little too risky to go into the weekend without a back up option.

I realize a hamstring injury has no bearing on one's ability to type but if Juju was dealing with something serious I doubt he'd be Tweeting up a storm the way he has been this week. I'd be shocked if that went over well with Tomlin. So my guess is that barring a late-week issue Juju is locked in again with high WR2 upside in a dream matchup.
Yeah, tweeting on your birthday is instadoghouse

Happy 21st JuJu!  ?  ? 

On mobile, so I can't link, but Juju did not practice today. When asked if he would play this weekend, he said "That's up to Coach Tomlin."

Edit: Twitter Source

if it really is up to coach tomlin, then he's ####### playing.  if he is healthy, he is playing.  if he's hurt, he won't

This kid looks the part...it's early but where do people think he'll be ranked going into 2018...
Depends entirely on Big Ben and what the Steelers do with the QB position. If he's got Landry Jones throwing him the ball, I'm going to fade him hard.

Users who are viewing this thread