What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (10 Viewers)

He's a big tall striker. Could be an interesting look up front for the US. Obviously he can finish, so let's hope his first touch and movement are also quality. 

Watching Bremen.... Pee-yew. They are just awful. Any time they're in attack they commit a whopping one guy to support it. It's a mess. Sargent doesn't have a chance to put up numbers there.

Watching Bremen.... Pee-yew. They are just awful. Any time they're in attack they commit a whopping one guy to support it. It's a mess. Sargent doesn't have a chance to put up numbers there.
Doh.  So many Americans I got lost on who was where.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what they said at Schalke too, but no one ever scores there.
I don't remember that being a problem when swag was there. Tbh, haven't watched them at all this year. 

WB, otoh, I've been watching since sarge started playing. Just no ability or commitment to attack. For two seasons now. MF, forwards...just a mess. Entirely set up to defend deep and hope for the best. The worst counters I've seen, again because they don't even try to get any numbers forward when they break.

But yeah, sarge never seemed like a guy who's going to creat goals on his own.

Watching the highlights for Hoppe's goals...all with him on a slight diagonal straight down the middle, top of the box. His third goal is the best of them imo- cheeky chip as he's sent in on the gk. 

I have no idea what Haaland is going to be sold for but I feel safe in saying it won't be enough.  This guy is a goal scoring machine.  Look at his great foot work before he eventually scores later in the play

https://streamwo.com/b549c6c2

Scored two today and had the key play in a 3rd (hockey assist).  he has 20 goals in just 17 games this season.

I have no idea what Haaland is going to be sold for but I feel safe in saying it won't be enough.  This guy is a goal scoring machine.  Look at his great foot work before he eventually scores later in the play

Scored two today and had the key play in a 3rd (hockey assist).  he has 20 goals in just 17 games this season.
I don't think there's another player I'd want over him at this point to build a team around or to have come to my team. Not even Mbappe. He is an absolute beastly goal magnet.

He's amazing.  That footwork was as good as any "dribbling expert" out there could've managed and that ability to get in front of the defender for the header is rare, even among strikers.  He looked like Messi and Lewandowski on the same play.  Unreal.

Dortmund is gonna get $200M+ for him this summer.

He's amazing.  That footwork was as good as any "dribbling expert" out there could've managed and that ability to get in front of the defender for the header is rare, even among strikers.  He looked like Messi and Lewandowski on the same play.  Unreal.

Dortmund is gonna get $200M+ for him this summer.
The announcer said it all at the end of that dribble... "Oohf". Pure filth.

11:55 ESPN+  Marine v. Tottenham

:thumbup:

Semi-pro team v. PL team.  

Sadly no fans in the stadium.  But, fans from both Marine, and Spurs, combined to buy 20,000 virtual tickets to help Marine make up for the lost in-stadium revenue.  (I love it when fans of the big clubs do things like that)

Spurs to their credit are taking a full team - only 1 U18 player will be in the squad.  So, the chance of a lifetime for the part-timers at Marine to go up against a true PL club.

Sinn Fein said:
11:55 ESPN+  Marine v. Tottenham

:thumbup:

Semi-pro team v. PL team.  

Sadly no fans in the stadium.  But, fans from both Marine, and Spurs, combined to buy 20,000 virtual tickets to help Marine make up for the lost in-stadium revenue.  (I love it when fans of the big clubs do things like that)

Spurs to their credit are taking a full team - only 1 U18 player will be in the squad.  So, the chance of a lifetime for the part-timers at Marine to go up against a true PL club.
🙄

Saw something about the numbers posted on the fence is so the stewards know which house to go to when the ball goes in someone's backyard.  Simply awesome.
I would love to have a local semi-pro team to support.  

On the other hand, I'm not a very good supporter of our metro USL team.  So...

Poke_4_Life said:

There's something amazing about the English clubs that are smack dab in the middle of their towns/cities so people can just walk over to the game. 

I'd love to support the RBs more...but hopping two subways to the world trade center so I can hop the PATH train into NJ (and then redo the trip to come home) has never been fun. And it's not even that terrible a trip. One subway ride to Yankee stadium is much better. But #### that place.

And I say it every year, but that Marine Spurs game is why I love the FA Cup. Hard.
Setting aside Spurs winning - I loved every aspect of that game.  Spurs using the stadium bar as a dressing room, supporters in the back yards, airhorns going off, old fat guys running around, pitch that was not level - just looked like a neighborhood park. 

Joe Hart working on his positioning

Stadium right in the middle of the neighborhood

It was just really fun experience to take in - add in the fact they ended up selling 30,000 virtual tickets - and Marine probably made close to $500k including the TV revenue - which is probably enough to fund them for 10 years.

Poke_4_Life said:

I live close to Galaxy's stadium and could go to LAFC's as well. 

But I dont

I also live close to OCSC and have been to a few of their games. Its fun to watch as well. OCSC has a better stadium then Marine did.  

"Orange County Soccer Club is an American soccer team based in the Orange County, California suburb of Irvine. Founded in 2010 as the Los Angeles Blues, the team currently plays in the second tier USL Championship. The team plays its home games at Championship Soccer Stadium, located inside Great Park in Irvine."

WTF just happened?  

Shaw got the ball, thats not a foul.

Burnley did not get the ball and denied a clear goal scoring opp.

Ref takes the yellow away from Burnley and gives a free kick to them?

Gives Shaw a yellow?

Did VAR rules change again?

Shaw wins the ball in his half, follow through gets the player.  Ball gets played down field, Burnley takes out Cavani. Foul is called and Burnley booked.  VAR comes in to check if it should be a red.  Looks at the foul on Cavani then goes all the way back to Shaw. Ref even looks at the monitor. Rescinds the Yellow for Burnley, gives a foul and a yellow to Shaw.

1) It wasn't a red or in the box so how can they give a foul and book Shaw?  VAR is for PKs and red cards.

2) Since it was neither a red nor a PK and they can't then call a random foul by rule, why is the yellow taken from Burnely and it not looked at for denying a clear goal scoring opp?

Ok so the talking heads have said that in reviewing the possible red/deny goal scoring opp, they can go back and check the buildup for something.  Thats new to me and makes it even worse.  Let me go find something so I don't have to red card this guy?

Not to mention Shaw played the ball and it wasn't a foul.

But anyway, Pogba with a nice goal and United gets the win.  Huge match with Liverpool on Sunday

B Maverick said:
Ok so the talking heads have said that in reviewing the possible red/deny goal scoring opp, they can go back and check the buildup for something.  Thats new to me and makes it even worse.  Let me go find something so I don't have to red card this guy?

Not to mention Shaw played the ball and it wasn't a foul.

But anyway, Pogba with a nice goal and United gets the win.  Huge match with Liverpool on Sunday
The only argument I could see is that Shaw kicked out after it went off the player.  I don’t think that happened because it happened too fast for that but that was the only thing I could think of that warranted a foul and a yellow.

And I say it every year, but that Marine Spurs game is why I love the FA Cup. Hard.
Saw that Spurs supporters bought a bunch of virtual tickets so that Marine would get some of the financial help they'd normally get from a game like that.   That's pretty cool.

The only argument I could see is that Shaw kicked out after it went off the player.  I don’t think that happened because it happened too fast for that but that was the only thing I could think of that warranted a foul and a yellow.
He did catch the player as they came together after he played the ball but that is to be expected when you follow through.  He didn't kick out or go in wildly.  

My question is more about how they can review that play when it wasn't a red or a PK?  Did they change that (they seem to change things as they feel like it).

Nice call by Jose today to sit and counter, granted Son hit the side post but there was really not much else in the second half for the spurs. Nice point for fulham

watching the supercopa on espn deportes, I have no idea what the commentators are saying but there has been plenty of yelling during these pk's. The woodwork has been put to the test so far, and on que Griezman went wondo and launched his pk into space

Last edited by a moderator:
watching the supercopa on espn deportes, I have no idea what the commentators are saying but there has been plenty of yelling during these pk's. The woodwork has been put to the test so far, and on que Griezman went wondo and launched his pk into space
Sounds magesterial 

So Bayern Munich have more defeats in two weeks than they did in all of 2020 and Poch has more trophies than Spurs have in like 40 years 

Kiel scores with the last shot to equalize against Bayern in the DFB Pokal.  
Extra time in the snow. 
Wow w the result. I assume it was a b/c team?
Bayern started Neuer, Süle, Gnabry, Kimmich, Sane, Tolisso, Davies, Costa and Müller.  All normal starters.
Sarr and Musiala were the only two out of the norm.  It was the 7th start for each, out of 25 matches.
The two big names that didn't start were Alaba and Lewandowski, who were both subbed in.

Kiel played a solid defense against a constant attack, and countered against Bayern's typical high back line.
Also, Bayern's first goal was offside, but no VRA at this stage of the Pokal, so it counted.

Neuer is a great keeper, but not against penalties.  Oliver Kahn, now he could stop some penalties.

Good lord it’s hard to watch an Arsenal match, they just move up and down the wings and no creativity in the middle 

Users who are viewing this thread