What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL viewership off 11% YOY (3 Viewers)

It used to be like that for me too until this past year. Then Sunday's became my son's flag football/ little league fall ball days and I'm surprised how little i missed my Sunday football day. 
I don't have kids, but Sunday's are pretty much my only day to get certain things done. For years, I was chained to the TV on Sunday's watching football, but I find Sunday's more enjoyable now that I don't watch football much anymore. Sunday Ticket kind of ruined me. I used to set up the living room with 3 TV's showing different games. Once I stopped paying for that, watching one or two games at a time on CBS/FOX became miserable. It's really so much time watching TV without watching any football.

baseball needs some kneelers just to draw some attention.
I personally love baseball, but I get the feeling they may be in real trouble at some point. And I'm not sure what they can do. Maybe some things that can help, but the very nature of the game doesn't seem to be a great fit with today's viewing audience.

I expect it might continue towards more a niche sport status, which is fine. It's got a great streaming product, and it's still a great live experience. MLB may not grip the nation's attention, but a day/night at the ballpark is still pretty awesome.

An absolute blood bath is occurring in NASCAR.  I don't remember ever seeing any US sport shed fans this quickly.    And its not just TV ratings, attendance is off as well.  I don't follow NASCAR, was their a controversy or scandal that caused this?

Look at these numbers for various races:

Race A: down 30% in ratings and 28% in viewership from last year (2.0, 3.2M) and down 42% and 40% respectively from 2016 (2.4, 3.9M).

Race B: down 27% in ratings and 25% in viewership from last year (2.2, 3.6M) and down 30% and 26% respectively from 2016 (2.3, 3.6M). 

Race C: down 18% in ratings and 12% in viewership from last year

Race D: down a tick in ratings and 14% in viewership from last year (1.6, 2.9M) and down 25% in both measures from 2016 (2.0, 3.3M).

Race E: down 25% in ratings and 22% in viewership from last year (1.6, 2.6M) and down 36% and 35% respectively from 2016 (1.9, 3.1M).

Race F: down 19% in ratings and 17% in viewersihp from last year (2.1, 3.4M) and down 32% and 30% respectively from 2016 (2.5, 4.0M).

Race G: down 17% in ratings and 20% in viewership from last year (3.5, 5.9M) and down 28% and 29% respectively from 2016 (4.0, 6.7M).

Race H: down 37% in ratings and 38% in viewership from last year (2.7, 4.5M) and down 37% and 35% respectively from 2016 (2.7, 4.3M)

Race I: down 25% in ratings and 22% in viewership from last year (3.2, 5.2M) and down 40% and 41% respectively from 2016 (4.0, 6.8M).

It just goes on and on....The 4 lowest Daytona 500 ratings in history have come in just the last 5 years.
Jeff Gordon and Dale Earnhardt Jr. retired.

Some where in this thread there was some chatter about participation rates for youth sports.  The National Federation of State High School Associations has released the data from 2017/2018

Lots of stuff to dig through but here are some highlights

* Football remains the largest participant sport

* Football has had the biggest drops in participants for two straight years.  This year was not as big a drop as the previous years though

* Soccer had the largest growth in participants (for boys).  This is interesting due to the fact that many kids playing club soccer are not allowed to play high school soccer.

* For the second year running, the girls sport with the largest growth is competitive cheer-leading.

https://www.nfhs.org/articles/high-school-sports-participation-increases-for-29th-consecutive-year/

Last edited by a moderator:
The number: $2.3 billion.

That's how much Nielsen says a fully mature U.S. sports gambling market could be worth annually to the NFL.

The report, released Wednesday, was commissioned by the American Gaming Association, the trade group that represents the gambling business.

The projections are based on a survey of fans. It assumes that regulated betting across America will boost media rights fees due to increased interest in the game, sponsorship by betting operators of teams and ancillary advertising, as well as the purchasing of official data from the league.

A nationwide, legal sports betting product available to all would affect annual media rights fees by nearly 18 percent, sponsorship by more than 7 percent and ticket sales by more than 6 percent.

Some where in this thread there was some chatter about participation rates for youth sports.  The National Federation of State High School Associations has released the data from 2017/2018

Lots of stuff to dig through but here are some highlights

* Football remains the largest participant sport

* Football has had the biggest drops in participants for two straight years.  This year was not as big a drop as the previous years though

* Soccer had the largest growth in participants (for boys).  This is interesting due to the fact that many kids playing club soccer are not allowed to play high school soccer.

* For the second year running, the girls sport with the largest growth is competitive cheer-leading.

https://www.nfhs.org/articles/high-school-sports-participation-increases-for-29th-consecutive-year/
I mean you could spin this to say there are 4 fewer participants in 11v11 football per high school vs 2016.  

But even with that the demise of 11v11 is maybe exaggerate d a bit. 

I mean you could spin this to say there are 4 fewer participants in 11v11 football per high school vs 2016.  
What does the above bold mean? 

Here is some data from the article on 11v11.  Looks to be ~48,000 less participants from two years ago.

===========

*Despite remaining the top participatory sport for boys, 11-player football dropped for the second consecutive year.

*The decline in numbers, however, was not as high as 2016

*In 2017, participation in 11-player football was 1,036,842, a two-percent decline of 20,565 from the previous year.

*The decline from 2015 to 2016 was 27,865, or 2.5 percent.

What does the above bold mean? 

Here is some data from the article on 11v11.  Looks to be ~48,000 less participants from two years ago.

===========

*Despite remaining the top participatory sport for boys, 11-player football dropped for the second consecutive year.

*The decline in numbers, however, was not as high as 2016

*In 2017, participation in 11-player football was 1,036,842, a two-percent decline of 20,565 from the previous year.

*The decline from 2015 to 2016 was 27,865, or 2.5 percent.
If you look at it on a per school basis there are 4 fewer kids playing 11v11 across every high school, since prior to 2016 (I guess 2015 then depending on how you count it).

This is really somewhat compounded with the fact that it's not a straight decline across all sports, in fact quite the opposite implying that nationwide the market share is really collapsing more than the straight participation figures.

That number seems a little more shock value than a % decline.  Given how the media likes to cherry pick the most eye popping stat, that is how I would have phrased it.

Still, that number seems a lot lower than I would have thought.  If you ask around people talk like high school football is on the way to RIP.

Scoring is up and ratings are going up...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/18/media/nfl-ratings-offense/index.html

New York (CNN Business)The NFL's sluggish ratings were one of the biggest stories in TV for the past two years. The falling numbers weren't blamed on just one thing: There were concerns over concussions, star players getting hurt nearly every week and, of course, President Trumpattacking the league over players kneeling during the National Anthem.

But the ratings are up this year. So what's going on? Well, again, it's possible that there are a few different explanations, but there's likely one reason above all the rest: The NFL is fun to watch again.

Fifty four games this season have been decided by just one score, according to the NFL. That's tied for the most in league history through week six. Scoring is also on a record pace, with NFL teams having scored 504 touchdowns and 4,489 points, both records this far into a season.

Twenty one of the NFL's 32 teams are currently in first place or within one game of it, and at least one game has gone to overtime in each of the first six weeks. That's the first time that's happened since the league instituted the regular season overtime rule in 1974.

NFL television ratings rose by 5 percent in 2018.  

Of the top 50 telecasts since the start of the 2018 season, 46 were NFL games.

Average streaming viewership rose 86 percent.

Is it the scoring? or could it be that I haven't heard a single peep about players kneeling since the summer and more people are coming back?

The 15 people that maybe skipped the noon game of week 8 are back?!? 
I think a lot more people stopped watching the NFL because of the kneeling issue than many people would like to admit. I personally know a lot of people who did so and returned this year but I do live in a very pro Trump borough of NYC.

Is it the scoring? or could it be that I haven't heard a single peep about players kneeling since the summer and more people are coming back?
It was a very good year for the NFL in terms of marketability.  First, the parity was almost surreal. A solid 2/3rds of the league had reason to consider itself a contender at some point in the season.  The frigging Redskins were 6-3 with a 1.5 game lead in the division in mid-November, for chrissakes. 

Second, this was the first season in memory that featured elite, fun-to-watch QB talent under the age of 30.  Probably the first one since Aaron Rodgers was under 30, honestly.  Last year Carson Wentz was the most exciting young QB in the league, and no offense to Wentz but he ain't exactly Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, DeShaun Watson or even Baker Mayfield. At best he's North Dakota Jared Goff.

It was a very good year for the NFL in terms of marketability.  First, the parity was almost surreal. A solid 2/3rds of the league had reason to consider itself a contender at some point in the season.  The frigging Redskins were 6-3 with a 1.5 game lead in the division in mid-November, for chrissakes. 

Second, this was the first season in memory that featured elite, fun-to-watch QB talent under the age of 30.  Probably the first one since Aaron Rodgers was under 30, honestly.  Last year Carson Wentz was the most exciting young QB in the league, and no offense to Wentz but he ain't exactly Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, DeShaun Watson or even Baker Mayfield. At best he's North Dakota Jared Goff.
Having KC in the mix helps.   Their fanbase is really broad and strong.  I mean I can't remember the last time that team was truly relevant.  

Also, and I've always thought there was some truth to this, if you can keep the confederate teams out of the mix  (Jax, Mia, Car, Atl, TB) the interest level from the rest of the US has more upside.  That part of the world just cares more about NCAA and there is limited hype they can have for the NFL over what they would normally give as a baseline.  

Having KC in the mix helps.   Their fanbase is really broad and strong.  I mean I can't remember the last time that team was truly relevant.  

Also, and I've always thought there was some truth to this, if you can keep the confederate teams out of the mix  (Jax, Mia, Car, Atl, TB) the interest level from the rest of the US has more upside.  That part of the world just cares more about NCAA and there is limited hype they can have for the NFL over what they would normally give as a baseline.  
I can't speak to the nuances of different fan bases, but Mahomes was the first NFL player in ages who has gotten me to watch regular season non-Red Zone NFL action that doesn't involve my own team. 

this is what the owners have to be most excited about. 

I think a lot more people stopped watching the NFL because of the kneeling issue than many people would like to admit. I personally know a lot of people who did so and returned this year but I do live in a very pro Trump borough of NYC.
I'd say it was more of a "Trump thing" then a knelling thing..
My Father in-law, who is a full fledged Trump Supporter, stopped watching last year when Trump made his statement.. The week after Trump made his statement he asked me "You are still watching games?" ..
I  asked two simple questions.. "Did you watch last year?" and ... "Were you watching this year until Trumps statement?" .. and got a :mellow:   response..
Then he went off on a small rant about how disrespectful the knelling was and he would Never  watch another game until the NFL banned it...

He still won't admit he watches games, but at family gatherings he sure knows what happened in the previous weeks Packer game.. hmmmmm

My Father in-law, who is a full fledged Trump Supporter, stopped watching last year when Trump made his statement.. The week after Trump made his statement he asked me "You are still watching games?" ..
I  asked two simple questions.. "Did you watch last year?" and ... "Were you watching this year until Trumps statement?" .. and got a :mellow:   response..
Then he went off on a small rant about how disrespectful the knelling was and he would Never  watch another game until the NFL banned it...

He still won't admit he watches games, but at family gatherings he sure knows what happened in the previous weeks Packer game.. hmmmmm
The two are pretty much connected at this point, no?

You're 5-10 years too early.  This is the return of people who thought football couldn't exist if you didn't let receivers get blown up in the head.

The two are pretty much connected at this point, no?
:yes: Now they are..
My point to my Father in-law and my post was...  Kaepernick's first protest was August of 2016.. Many, including my Father in-law, continued to watch NFL Games through all of 2016 and the beginning of the 2017 season..

Then Trump made his statement late September 2017 of "Fire anyone that protests, and don't watch the games until they do so" and people like my Father in-law all of a sudden were up in arms over the issue, refused to watch the games and thought others that did watch were wrong to do so.

Excited about losing 95% of their revenue?  99%?  Streaming brings in money to twitch streamers and camgirls with vibrators that are tuned to tips, not pro sports teams.  
From BizJournal in November:

The NFL struck its first DirecTV package in 1994, allowing the satellite broadcaster to offer all games to subscribers in addition to the ones shown on broadcast in their markets. In 2014, the NFL agreed to extend the satellite deal for another eight years at $1.5 billion annually through 2022, a 50 percent increase from the previous 2009 renewal. The option allows the league to slice the last three years off the current deal. That means if the NFL exercises the option, next season is the last under the current deal.
Networks will continue to pay what they have. It's the viability and maturation of the digital market that has greater value to them. They hold the cards especially with Amazon and now Roku offering subscription services to premium channels.

culdeus said:
Excited about losing 95% of their revenue?  99%?  Streaming brings in money to twitch streamers and camgirls with vibrators that are tuned to tips, not pro sports teams.  
Good point Blockbuster.  Er, I mean, culdeus.

The streaming rights are still far less than TV rights, sure.  Fox is paying about $55m per TNF game over five years, while Amazon is paying like $6m per game over two years.   But that $6m is 30% higher than what Amazon paid for it last season.  If streaming sustains that kind of growth and other streaming platforms get involved in the bidding, could be a pretty sizable chunk of change.

Even if TV networks are not willing to pay as much down the road they could come out ahead.  And given how the NFL grew this year even though I imagine (without checking) that TV viewership probably continued to decline, the NFL may be even more important to TV networks as a mechanism for selling their shows.

Not to mention those networks are starting up their own streaming services which could up things further.

Good point Blockbuster.  Er, I mean, culdeus.

The streaming rights are still far less than TV rights, sure.  Fox is paying about $55m per TNF game over five years, while Amazon is paying like $6m per game over two years.   But that $6m is 30% higher than what Amazon paid for it last season.  If streaming sustains that kind of growth and other streaming platforms get involved in the bidding, could be a pretty sizable chunk of change.

Even if TV networks are not willing to pay as much down the road they could come out ahead.  And given how the NFL grew this year even though I imagine (without checking) that TV viewership probably continued to decline, the NFL may be even more important to TV networks as a mechanism for selling their shows.

Not to mention those networks are starting up their own streaming services which could up things further.
Did you see Bezos in the box with Goodell?  Thought that was interesting. They probably helped the poor afterwards. 

Jobber said:
Super Bowl viewership at the lowest level in 10 years.

Link

I know for me, I only hate watched in the hope that New England would lose.
I watched but didn't have the excitement I normally have going in..

Throughout the Playoffs I wanted a KC vs. NO Super Bowl as I felt that would be the most exciting match-up..

Disliked how the Rams got in..

Although in 15 years we are going to look back at the run Brady and Belichick have had and :jawdrop:   ....  at this point I've had enough.. 

An ultra low scoring game and Maroon5 to look forward to at halftime? How in the world could anyone not continue to watch?

I thought the game was good.  I like good defense way more than an offensive shootout.

Well done by the Pats keeping that team to 3 points.  Brady/Belichek tandem continues to be a monster and Edelman was great last night.

I thought the game was good.  I like good defense way more than an offensive shootout.
I am surprised that the NFL did not make rule changes during halftime to make scoring even easier.

I am kind of glad the Pats won with old fashioned defense and running.   I like scoring when there is a balance but when every rule change favors the offense, you get Arena Football and I don't find constant scoring that fun to watch.  I know the casual viewers love it though and that is in the end who they cater too.

I heard this morning that the LA market had the second lowest Nielsen rating of any market with a team in the Superbowl. But, but, but, St. Louis can't support an NFL team the way LA can. :rolleyes:
The NFL is pooping down their own neck. They have managed to turn a product that everyone wanted into something that people are starting to despise. 

The NFL is pooping down their own neck. They have managed to turn a product that everyone wanted into something that people are starting to despise. 
Yep. I didn't watch the Superbowl for the first time in about 30 years. Still haven't seen a highlight or a commercial (although, I might go check out the commercials on YouTube). They pretty much alienate three markets (SD, Oakland and StL) cram two teams into LA, a city that can't support one team, and at the same time diminish the product on the field with the way penalties are called and reviews are performed. They keep trying to increase scoring to offset but that is increasing the crazy calls (particularly when hitting QB's). I am now craving college football on a weekly basis and I don't have any players going in my FFB league which added to the interest in the NFL. 

Yep. I didn't watch the Superbowl for the first time in about 30 years. Still haven't seen a highlight or a commercial (although, I might go check out the commercials on YouTube). They pretty much alienate three markets (SD, Oakland and StL) cram two teams into LA, a city that can't support one team, and at the same time diminish the product on the field with the way penalties are called and reviews are performed. They keep trying to increase scoring to offset but that is increasing the crazy calls (particularly when hitting QB's). I am now craving college football on a weekly basis and I don't have any players going in my FFB league which added to the interest in the NFL. 
Sounds just like me.  Fist time that I too didn't watch at least some of the SB in 30 years.  I haven't seen any highlights or even listened to ant newscasts concerning the game. The NFL is fading from my life and the SB matchup was the least interesting that I can remember.   It was easy to skip watching two boring teams.  

Ratings were up 5% for the year. An average of 16 million people watched every game. 

So still down 6% from 2 years ago. Got it. 
16.5M in 2016 to 15.9 last year. And that’s tv. Streaming is up 830% and the league is going to hit 25 billion in revenue this year. If you think the league is struggling then I really don’t know what to tell you. That’s just not based in reality. 🤷‍♂️

AAF gettin some things right. No tv timeouts and challenges are excellent. No running to the sideline AND you can hear the replay official tell the field ref what’s up.  Listen up, NFL.
NFL can’t do NO TV timeouts due to  Derek Carr’s salary but maybe there can be a middle ground.

NFL television ratings rose this season by 5% compared with 2018, the league announced Friday. The increase is part of a two-year surge that has partially reversed viewership losses the league suffered in the middle of the previous decade.

The average NFL game was watched by 16.5 million viewers, the highest total since the 2016 season. It averaged 15.8 million in 2018 and 14.9 million in 2017. Meanwhile, digital viewership increased 51% compared to the 2018 season. According to the league, an average of 487,000 viewers streamed each game in 2019.

The NFL has been one of the few success stories amid a drop in television ratings for all shows. All of the top 10 broadcasts in 2019 were NFL games. NFL games also occupied 28 of the top 30 and 47 of the top 50 ratings slots.

Users who are viewing this thread