What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bitcoin-Explain to me how to buy these things (5 Viewers)

Kind of sucks watching this manic phase and not having more of a stake in it.  I think sometime within the next 6 months we will see another major crash.  Could be tether/bitfinex unraveling, could be a big short by the futures markets, could be regulators cracking down, could be a stock market crash, could be another war, could be any number of things that cause it.  Crypto markets are absolutely booming at ATH and when it crashes, the whole marketcap contracts massively.  I have about 33% of everything sitting in gold for such a scenario.  I feel like things are much more tenuous than market sentiment is letting on.  I absolutely believe most of this dumb money that entered bitcoin will get wiped out.  I mean, are we really buying bitcoin at $17k?  
Gonna need A LOT more volume for that to happen. 

It really depends on which community you side with.  If you're talking about the bitcointalk forums and bitcoin subreddit, dissenting opinions that question development of Blockstream/Core are heavily censored and outright banned.  They banned me too.  It's really not inline with what ought to be a decentralized and open community.  By contrast the btc subreddit supports him but at least you can post what you think there without being censored.  The real question is, what part of his argument do you disagree with?  

Ver has some temperamental issues but he's on the right side of history here.  Ver was the original bitcoin guy.  Still would be today if blockstream hadn't made the formal decision to cripple bitcoin so they could make money off it.  
I'm indifferent on BCH, but i despise the people behind it and their motivations.  Jihan Wu, the guy who basically controls the mining, is truly vile.

https://twitter.com/cadillackiller/status/940586020961099776

Sorry if this has been said after the initial couple posts, didnt wanna read the whole thread,  if i wanted to throw a hundo down  and then a certain amount per pay period whats my best avenue. To clarify i mean what services should i go through. Is coinbase still the casual option?

Specifically btc dont wanna invest in other cryptos atm.

Also whats the deal with btc cash, i have a friend whos an actuary and vp at anpac and hes been talking about btc miners being co-opted by btc cash and i have literally no idea lol 

Last edited by a moderator:
fantasycurse42 said:
Gonna need A LOT more volume for that to happen. 
I'm picturing a scenario where Bitfinex/Tether come under audit and federal investigation.  The SEC needs to "protect investors" from themselves.  Whales in finance who were wise enough to buy in during the China crackdown / Dimon slander seized a golden opportunity to buy low.  Institutional investment and public awareness drive the price way up.  The tv networks join the speculation, talk of bitcoin hitting $100K and $1M, everyone will become millionaires. 

A massive, coordinated sell-off creates a panic.  Soft, fairweather investors jump ship.  The bitcoin network turns dysfunctional, clogs the exits and exacerbates the despair.  Wall Street bros make bank and buy in again.  Is a scenario like that not possible whether or not the volume is there in the futures market?  Pump and dumps like that happen all the time in the market for altcoins.  I don't understand the finance markets well enough to figure how leverage might work but I can easily see this thing turning into a house of cards.  

I'm picturing a scenario where Bitfinex/Tether come under audit and federal investigation.  The SEC needs to "protect investors" from themselves.  Whales in finance who were wise enough to buy in during the China crackdown / Dimon slander seized a golden opportunity to buy low.  Institutional investment and public awareness drive the price way up.  The tv networks join the speculation, talk of bitcoin hitting $100K and $1M, everyone will become millionaires. 

A massive, coordinated sell-off creates a panic.  Soft, fairweather investors jump ship.  The bitcoin network turns dysfunctional, clogs the exits and exacerbates the despair.  Wall Street bros make bank and buy in again.  Is a scenario like that not possible whether or not the volume is there in the futures market?  Pump and dumps like that happen all the time in the market for altcoins.  I don't understand the finance markets well enough to figure how leverage might work but I can easily see this thing turning into a house of cards.  
In terms of futures, I'll use gold as an example:

Each contract is worth 100 troy ounces, which is roughly 3,100 grams. In terms of dollars, per contract you're talking about roughly $125k worth of gold when settled. So far today, about 200k front month contracts have changed hands. 

In terms of Bitcoin, since it launched Sunday night, I think about 2k contracts (maybe less) have changed hands. 

I personally am surprised at the minimal interest so far; while I didn't think it would be anything close to gold upon launch, I did think it would be much more significant.

If it turns out Wall Street really isn't interested in Bitcoin, I think you've got a problem right there (on top of all the other problems). 

Just to add, I'm not positive, but I think for gold the margin requirement is about $5,500 per contract (it's somewhere in this ballpark). So with $5,500, you can expose yourself to $125k worth of gold...

Just to give you an idea of how leveraged futures are. 

ILUVBEER99 said:
I'm indifferent on BCH, but i despise the people behind it and their motivations.  Jihan Wu, the guy who basically controls the mining, is truly vile.

https://twitter.com/cadillackiller/status/940586020961099776
https://twitter.com/JihanWu

He seems like an ok guy to me.  I don't think any of this is possible without Blockstream ####### up everything Bitcoin was supposed to stand for.  You seem to think he is the only person with a financial stake in how Bitcoin operates.  There are a lot of monied interests pulling the strings on Bitcoin now, a Chinese miner with as much a stake as anyone else in seeing crypto succeed is probably not the first place to start.  

I don't really care if his mining company is more profitable due to an "exploit" if it gives people a functional, accessible currency that actually works the way Bitcoin was supposed to.  I just used it the other day to purchase a painting and it was pretty dope.  Bitmain isn't the only company mining BCH, certainly not the only one when it's more profitable to do so.  Miners are governed by profit motive and not much else.  That's how the system was designed.  

Ver and Wu are set for life.  Their whole lives revolved around Bitcoin being successful, unlike the banking industry funding Blockstream.  If you don't think they're ideologically sound enough read up on Peter Falkvinge or numerous other original Bitcoin developers who support BCH now.  

So I 

1. Downloaded coinbase

2. Want to buy some ETH and LTC

3. __________?

4. Profit?

is coinbase the wallet? Will my imaginary stocks be safe there? I know I've asked this before but I'm actually doing it now. 

Sorry if this has been said after the initial couple posts, didnt wanna read the whole thread,  if i wanted to throw a hundo down  and then a certain amount per pay period whats my best avenue. To clarify i mean what services should i go through. Is coinbase still the casual option?

Specifically btc dont wanna invest in other cryptos atm.

Also whats the deal with btc cash, i have a friend whos an actuary and vp at anpac and hes been talking about btc miners being co-opted by btc cash and i have literally no idea lol 
Go to Coinbase or Gdax (2 trusted exchanges, but there are many others... GDAX has lower fees I'm told, but I used Coinbase and it was very easy and intuitive) and sign up, get verified, fund (with bank account or credit card if you so choose) and make your moves. 

BCH (Bitcoin cash) is a separate crypto coin. One of the many other ones out there. Do some research and decide which other(s), if any, you want to invest in, and go forth and conquer. 

Well i got my acct verified and bought some btc as well as the other two. They havent made thier way into my reapective wallets i assume there is a turnaround period.

On coinbase, If you dont want to enter your bank credentials, you can choose other bank and enter the account and routing number instead.  then they will do test deposits and make you verify that way. 

On coinbase, If you dont want to enter your bank credentials, you can choose other bank and enter the account and routing number instead.  then they will do test deposits and make you verify that way. 
Wait...what?

If you don't want to enter your bank credentials, then click other and...proceed to enter your bank credentials?!

Quick note for all you noob Coinbase folk:

Gemini exchange is WAY cheaper for buying BTC and ETH. Much lower fees as well.

The one good thing about coinbase is that you can set a daily/weekly/monthly recurring buy, which I would recommend. That way you won't worry so much about the day-to-day swings.

ETA: Look at me. Been in Crypto for 6 months and I feel like some kind of veteran.

Здравствуйте! теперь я гордый обладатель 2.8 litecoins! Кроме того, россия никогда не подделывала стероиды, и ее спортсмены должны быть допущены на Олимпийских игра!

Quick note for all you noob Coinbase folk:

Gemini exchange is WAY cheaper for buying BTC and ETH. Much lower fees as well.

The one good thing about coinbase is that you can set a daily/weekly/monthly recurring buy, which I would recommend. That way you won't worry so much about the day-to-day swings.

ETA: Look at me. Been in Crypto for 6 months and I feel like some kind of veteran.
well technically you are a vet based on adoption curve.  The amount of people entering in the past 6 months is more than the amount involved before 2017.

Charge it all......then don't pay the CC....after a few months they'll call and you can negotiate a lower settlement.....destroys your credit but you'll be so rich from crypto you'll be paying straight cash.
I'm worried in the event of a crash, you will not be able to pay your wager.

Users who are viewing this thread