What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bitcoin-Explain to me how to buy these things (6 Viewers)

I'm still relatively new there, but the cryptonerds that I trust all use it.   Holla at me if you're gonna sign up -- I'll give you my referral link.   

Coinbase: Took pictures of DL, Linked Bank Account, Filled out personal info to verify.... yet still:

Additional Account Verification Required

We're verifying your identity. Please wait a couple of minutes.

Couple of minutes my ### :lol:  

Not to sound like a broken record, but I like Uphold a lot as an exchange.  Lower fees, tons more currencies to choose from (BCH, Dash, BAT, many different fiats), ability to swap from crypto to metal, faster verification (for me anyway), much less 'known' -> less susceptible to going offline during heavy traffic, pretty balloon emblem.  

Dan Lambskin said:
Yeah they're in the business of defrauding their customers rather than making huge amounts of money off of transaction fees.  I'd avoid at all costs
Do you even bitcoin? brah

Last edited by a moderator:
I assumed all the business plans surrounding these coins and associated software was defrauding their customers. 
Most of the alt coins are scams.  Best to stick with the main ones like BTC/LTC/ETH.  I'm sure some of the others are legit, but i stick to the ones that coinbase sells as i assume they vet them pretty well before adding them to their exchange.

Thanks, GB. Binance pretty trustworthy? 

Easy to move coins to other wallet, or smart to keep there? 
I used Gatehub until I went cold storage on the Nano S today.  Had no problems with my ripple there.  I got 1000 Iota stuck on binance and can't get them off.  I like binance but going on 3 weeks that my stuff is stuck there.  I could move it by exchange for other crypto but I want my IOTA to be IOTA.

I used Gatehub until I went cold storage on the Nano S today.  Had no problems with my ripple there.  I got 1000 Iota stuck on binance and can't get them off.  I like binance but going on 3 weeks that my stuff is stuck there.  I could move it by exchange for other crypto but I want my IOTA to be IOTA.
stuck, meaning you initiated a sell and it's pending, or what exactly?

I've only been paying attention to this #### for 3 or 4 months but it seems to me people just move money between different coins, pumping them up before they dip but not before establishing new floors/support levels. Today it's XRP's turn. But that sounds too simple so please correct me if I'm wrong. 

A bit late to this thread not sure if anyone else has mentioned it but if anyone is looking to educate themselves on what Bitcoin is and how transformational it is for money and the banking system I highly recommend Andreas Antonopoulos.  He's got a ton of very good videos on youtube and he does a great job of explaining the technology and impact so the average person can understand.  

https://www.youtube.com/user/aantonop

I suggest starting with this "Intro to Bitcoin" video.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1si5ZWLgy0

I also have a number of folks I follow on Twitter that give out very good info as well if anyone's interested.  There's a lot of shilling and misinformation out there so it was hard initially to figure out who the shills were vs the legit voices in crypto.

Peyton Marino said:
Been doing some reading about Ver. This guy is not very well liked in the crypto community. Lots of people think he's shilling for BCH, and it does look like he has a pretty vested interest in it doing well relative to BTC. Lots of contention against some of the stuff he said in that video Ren posted. Not sure where I come out on all of it, just some food for thought. 
I'm not a fan of Ver at all.  He has an agenda he's pushing.  He wants people to believe Bitcoin Cash is the real Bitcoin and purposely tries to confuse people on this.  He gets offended anytime someone refers to Bitcoin Cash as Bcash.  No sane person would take such offense to this (see 1 minute video below) but it's basically because he wants to co-opt the Bitcoin brand.  He also goes out of his way to call it "Bitcoin Core" when in reality it's just Bitcoin. 

If he wants to fork Bitcoin and try to make a better coin more power to him, but he's pushing his agenda and trying to confuse people instead.  Also there were great exaggerations or outright lies in his CNBC interview.   It was basically a commercial for Bitcoin Cash.

• BTC transactions do not take days or weeks
  • BTC transactions do not cost $50-100 regularly (especially if SegWit is used, C'MON Coinbase get Segwit implemented!)
  • He said Core openly says they want bitcoin to have a bad user experience which is an outright lie.  Why would any devs openly say this?  Bitcoin Core Developers are working on off chain scaling solutions like Lightning Network.

1 minute video of Ver flipping out because of the name Bcash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB0mG7wMvM8

Full Intervew here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJT2CbfHTpo

I'm not a fan of Ver at all.  He has an agenda he's pushing.  He wants people to believe Bitcoin Cash is the real Bitcoin and purposely tries to confuse people on this.  He gets offended anytime someone refers to Bitcoin Cash as Bcash.  No sane person would take such offense to this (see 1 minute video below) but it's basically because he wants to co-opt the Bitcoin brand.  He also goes out of his way to call it "Bitcoin Core" when in reality it's just Bitcoin. 

If he wants to fork Bitcoin and try to make a better coin more power to him, but he's pushing his agenda and trying to confuse people instead.  Also there were great exaggerations or outright lies in his CNBC interview.   It was basically a commercial for Bitcoin Cash.

• BTC transactions do not take days or weeks
  • BTC transactions do not cost $50-100 regularly (especially if SegWit is used, C'MON Coinbase get Segwit implemented!)
  • He said Core openly says they want bitcoin to have a bad user experience which is an outright lie.  Why would any devs openly say this?  Bitcoin Core Developers are working on off chain scaling solutions like Lightning Network.

1 minute video of Ver flipping out because of the name Bcash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB0mG7wMvM8

Full Intervew here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJT2CbfHTpo
lol holy #### @ that interview.  I did hear yesterday he likened calling it 'bcash' to using an ethnic slur.

this is basically the same stuff I've been hearing about him.  isn't it also true that BCH's speed and low transaction fees would be tested if they took on the huge volumes that BTC is withstanding right now?  seems a bit obtuse not to acknowledge that.

Let's say you put coins on coinbase.  

Then you want to print out the code and put in a vault.

What stops coinbase from stealing from you?

Explain like I know about half of how this works.

You take them off of coinbase before you get your code.

I work with these young 30 year olds who got into this stuff months or years ago, and either have hundreds of thousands in this stuff or more.  One guy sitting on about 2 million bucks; never put in a penny, started off mining/trading the stuff years ago.

I don't know what I'd do if I had 2 mill in there right now.  Though I guess I understand the logic of "letting it ride," if you're a young guy and don't need the money right now.  You may well see another 5x or 10x over a few years and then cash out with real serious retirement money.

Crazy.  I feel like a total schlub working for an hourly wage.

I work with these young 30 year olds who got into this stuff months or years ago, and either have hundreds of thousands in this stuff or more.  One guy sitting on about 2 million bucks; never put in a penny, started off mining/trading the stuff years ago.

I don't know what I'd do if I had 2 mill in there right now.  Though I guess I understand the logic of "letting it ride," if you're a young guy and don't need the money right now.  You may well see another 5x or 10x over a few years and then cash out with real serious retirement money.

Crazy.  I feel like a total schlub working for an hourly wage.
HODL

If you do not control your private keys then you don't control your coins.  If you leave coins on Coinbase then they control your coins.  

I bought a bunch of BTC and ETH and LTC back in the Spring for $15k.  Sat on it and then things dipped a little, and I needed the cash, so sold for break-even after the fees etc.  Fine.  

Except I'd be sitting on like $60k right now if I'd not done that.

:hot: :ptts:
I got paid out 7 BTC after the Kentucky Derby. I sold it all off little by little over summer / fall. 

Cry me a river 

;)

will likely buy in once there is a dip

commentary on CNBC is still skeptical, I trust those guys know what they're talking about

As somebody who is an expert in the field of cybersecurity, I don't trust the security...which is why I've never been an adopter...but I'm a relatively conservative investor.

will likely buy in once there is a dip

commentary on CNBC is still skeptical, I trust those guys know what they're talking about

As somebody who is an expert in the field of cybersecurity, I don't trust the security...which is why I've never been an adopter...but I'm a relatively conservative investor.
Just curious what is it that you do not trust about the security?

I bought a bunch of BTC and ETH and LTC back in the Spring for $15k.  Sat on it and then things dipped a little, and I needed the cash, so sold for break-even after the fees etc.  Fine.  

Except I'd be sitting on like $60k right now if I'd not done that.

:hot: :ptts:
4 letters.  HODL.  learn it, love it, live it.

Can anyone detail step-by-step how to store couns offline for maximum security? I have about 10 ETH coins on coinbase and not sure how best to securely store them. 

Just curious what is it that you do not trust about the security?
For starters, there have been several bitcoin environment breaches...the last major breach resulted in a significant dip in bitcoin prices...and rightfully so.

Billions of dollars in cyberspace, regardless of technology, is a bad fundamental concept IMHO.  Organized crime and various rogue states will continue to, find ways to steal bitcoins and their derivatives.  

Block chain security and private key fundamentals are hackable, because every type of security mechanism in the history of security mechanisms has proven to be hackable.  There is a saying among cybersecurity "experts", it's not "if" you will be hacked, it's "when."

This may be considered a conservative view, but playing with my money is like playing with my emotions" a great man once said.

Can anyone detail step-by-step how to store couns offline for maximum security? I have about 10 ETH coins on coinbase and not sure how best to securely store them. 
It's all about air gapping your key.   Store the key on a secured/encrypted USB-like device(I'll post a link in a second) and put it in a safety deposit box if the value of your coins warrants it.  Personally, anything over 20K would warrant a safety desposit box/secured media solution IMHO...depends on how much risk you are willing to take.  

That nano S has some concerning reviews. You guys sure that’s the best way to go?
This is the "type of device" you would use...it's not the brand I'm personally endorsing.  Some of these brands could have security vulnerabilities if they have not been properly vetted by security experts.

We evaluate products all the time and more often than not they have flaws/vulnerabilities.

I’m assuming the instructions tell u how to get your couns from coinbase?
When you get your wallet (either cold storage, hot wallet or paper) you will have an address to the wallet (similiar to an email address) where you would send coins from your Coinbase account to your wallet address.

As others have said safest way is a cold storage wallet (I have Trezor, i've heard good things about Nano).  Paper wallets are super simple to use but it's like cash, if you lose the paper wallet or someone steals it then they basically have control of your coins.

Good article on the differences between wallets.

https://www.cryptocompare.com/wallets/guides/how-to-store-bitcoins/

As a reminder, my major concern isn't invidual security of coins, it's mass breaches that have resulted in significant theft and resulting bitcoin price cashes.

This is the biggest threat to bitcoin as an investment.  Trust me when I say organized crime is funding these breaches.  It's not a dude in his mom's basement.

Users who are viewing this thread