What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** A dynasty begins... (22 Viewers)

WOW, didn't think they'd move that quickly.  I'll admit I have my concerns, 1 year OC, 1/2 year play calling, does he have the experience both directing the offense by himself and running a football team, but I guess we'll see.  Interested to see where it goes and hopefully it brings some great stuff to us.

Hopefully he can start talking to Fangio today to see if we can keep him to run the defense.

Really didn't think they'd be one of the first team's to announce a new HC.

WOW, didn't think they'd move that quickly.  I'll admit I have my concerns, 1 year OC, 1/2 year play calling, does he have the experience both directing the offense by himself and running a football team, but I guess we'll see.  Interested to see where it goes and hopefully it brings some great stuff to us.

Hopefully he can start talking to Fangio today to see if we can keep him to run the defense.

Really didn't think they'd be one of the first team's to announce a new HC.
After being up 21-3 and not grinding the ball, I'll have to question his play calling ability. Hunt only having 11 carries in that Wild Card game should be ammo for termination not getting a head coaching gig.

After being up 21-3 and not grinding the ball, I'll have to question his play calling ability. Hunt only having 11 carries in that Wild Card game should be ammo for termination not getting a head coaching gig.
Reid says he did quite a bit of the playcalling in the 2nd half. Perhaps he's just covering Nagy's ### to help him land a HC job, but that debacle did seem like vintage Andy Reid.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/1/8/16863070/the-chiefs-playcalling-mystery-continues

This is straight "guy sitting on his couch at home" talk.   Chiefs balling out since he took over. Lit it up in first half and then lost Kelce. Bad 2nd half.  He needs to be terminated! Puhleease

Reid says he did quite a bit of the playcalling in the 2nd half. Perhaps he's just covering Nagy's ### to help him land a HC job, but that debacle did seem like vintage Andy Reid.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/1/8/16863070/the-chiefs-playcalling-mystery-continues
There were TV shots of Reid definitely calling plays.

• Smile
Reactions: -X-
This is straight "guy sitting on his couch at home" talk.   Chiefs balling out since he took over. Lit it up in first half and then lost Kelce. Bad 2nd half.  He needs to be terminated! Puhleease
No its not. Its Football 101 and you refuting it just shows how remedial you are when it comes to this sport. Running the ball and burning clock is why teams don't normally lose with 18 point leads.

Up 18 points at half and he flat out panicked after Tennessee's first drive ate up 1/2 of the 3rd quarter by passing the first two plays. If ever there was a a time to grind out a drive it was then. Get your D off the field, let them catch their breath and burn as much clock as possible while doing it.

And you're talking about 6 games of play calling. 6. This is what you're basing your 'good hire' decision on? JFC

No its not. Its Football 101 and you refuting it just shows how remedial you are when it comes to this sport. Running the ball and burning clock is why teams don't normally lose with 18 point leads.

Up 18 points at half and he flat out panicked after Tennessee's first drive ate up 1/2 of the 3rd quarter by passing the first two plays. If ever there was a a time to grind out a drive it was then. Get your D off the field, let them catch their breath and burn as much clock as possible while doing it.

And you're talking about 6 games of play calling. 6. This is what you're basing your 'good hire' decision on? JFC
I usually just lurk but wanted to pop in since there seems to be a lot of similarities to this hire and when we got Pederson.  At the time, Andy said something similar about Doug in that he let Doug call plays in the second half of games over the course of the season.  Because of this Doug also took a lot of crap for the poor clock management at the end of the NE game that year in the playoffs.

Nagy is going to have to do what Doug did and get a good staff around him and Tribusky, that's going to be huge.  Any word on who the OC will be?

This move reeks of the Minn and NE interviews being a trainwreck, probably because of the My Two Dad's vibe those two clowns Phillips and McCaskey brought to the table.

Thus, we're stuck with

'This is the guy we know we can get'

instead of

'This is our guy, let's hope he comes here'

This move reeks of the Minn and NE interviews being a trainwreck, probably because of the My Two Dad's vibe those two clowns Phillips and McCaskey brought to the table.

Thus, we're stuck with

instead of

Again...very similar to what we had here with "They really wanted Gase and had to settle for Doug because no one else wanted him"

If you're a believer in the Reid coaching tree ( I am ) there's a good chance you got a very good coach with this guy.

Nagy didn't call plays the entire game according to reports.  Nagy only helped with the early game plan and that was it.

Thus, we're stuck with

instead of

What's Josh McDaniel's done other than ride the coat tails of Brady and Belichick?  He's already failed in a HC gig with Denver, so I'm fine with the Bears passing on him.  He seems to be a product of the NE system but not the brains behind it to make it work outside of that organization.  

Shurmur wants to take Case Keenum with him, so that already doesn't work out for the Bears.  

Matt Nagy isn't the flashy hire, but he's already on board with Trubisky being the future, and that was a big part of the Bears search. You can't hire a coach that's not completely on board with him, even if it's a flashy name. Hopefully Nagy can bring in some other talented coaches around him to finally start overhauling our system and get back to winning football.  

• Smile
What's Josh McDaniel's done other than ride the coat tails of Brady and Belichick?  He's already failed in a HC gig with Denver, so I'm fine with the Bears passing on him.  He seems to be a product of the NE system but not the brains behind it to make it work outside of that organization.  

Shurmur wants to take Case Keenum with him, so that already doesn't work out for the Bears.  

Matt Nagy isn't the flashy hire, but he's already on board with Trubisky being the future, and that was a big part of the Bears search. You can't hire a coach that's not completely on board with him, even if it's a flashy name. Hopefully Nagy can bring in some other talented coaches around him to finally start overhauling our system and get back to winning football.  
You know who else failed in his first HC gig? Belicheck

I usually just lurk but wanted to pop in since there seems to be a lot of similarities to this hire and when we got Pederson.  At the time, Andy said something similar about Doug in that he let Doug call plays in the second half of games over the course of the season.  Because of this Doug also took a lot of crap for the poor clock management at the end of the NE game that year in the playoffs.

Nagy is going to have to do what Doug did and get a good staff around him and Tribusky, that's going to be huge.  Any word on who the OC will be?
Heck? 

My take:

1) Coaching hires are like draft picks, unless you arent totally off the reservation, there is no way to tell if it was a good pick until a least a couple years in. Nagy is on everybodys list, this wasnt a reach.

2) I like how decisively this went down. Shows this isnt the Bears franchise were used to agonizing over decisions until all the best guys are gone. Pace new what he wanted and he went and executed. We'll find out if it was the right guy, but much like the Trubisky pick, he pushed his chips in without hesitation, and thats what you want. If its wrong, its wrong and he'll be fired. But he isnt playing it safe and worrying about covering his ###.

3)Nagy is the right kind of coach the Bears desperately need.  I dont know if he's the right guy, and nobody does. We will find out. But the Bears needed a younger guy with new ideas, familiar with how offenses are evolving in this league. A guy whos fortunes you can tie to Trubiskys makes a ton of sense. If you went defense, or someone just older and less cutting edge, sure you could try to get a hotshot OC to take up the slack, but then you have to hit on both the HC and OC, and if they OC is successful he'll get hired as an HC somewhere else and you are back to square one. Continuity wise, this makes sense. We saw how many coaches and offenses Jay went through over the years, it was ridiculous.

4)If Nagy hits, and if Trubisky hits, and if Pace does a good job, you have the ingredients for greatness, no question. Imo, thats how you build championships, by taking measured risks and building on the successes while not holding on to the fails for dear life. I have no idea if this crew will succeed, but if they do, it will be special. Thats what you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
My take:

1) Coaching hires are like draft picks, unless you arent totally off the reservation, there is no way to tell if it was a good pick until a least a couple years in. Nagy is on everybodys list, this wasnt a reach.

2) I like how decisively this went down. Shows this isnt the Bears franchise were used to agonizing over decisions until all the best guys are gone. Pace new what he wanted and he went and executed. We'll find out if it was the right guy, but much like the Trubisky pick, he pushed his chips in without hesitation, and thats what you want. If its wrong, its wrong and he'll be fired. But he isnt playing it safe and worrying about covering his ###.

3)Nagy is the right kind of coach the Bears desperately need.  I dont know if he's the right guy, and nobody does. We will find out. But the Bears needed a younger guy with new ideas, familiar with how offenses are evolving in this league. A guy whos fortunes you can tie to Trubiskys makes a ton of sense. If you went defense, or someone just older and less cutting edge, sure you could try to get a hotshot OC to take up the slack, but then you have to hit on both the HC and OC, and if they OC is successful he'll get hired as an HC somewhere else and you are back to square one. Continuity wise, this makes sense. We saw how many coaches and offenses Jay went through over the years, it was ridiculous.

4)If Nagy hits, and if Trubisky hits, and if Pace does a good job, you have the ingredients for greatness, no question. Imo, thats how you build championships, by taking measured risks and building on the successes while not holding on to the fails for dear life. I have no idea if this crew will succeed, but if they do, it will be special. Thats what you want.
Well said 

Nagy has been with Reid for 10 years. Intern, coaching assistant, offensive quality control, qb coach for 3 years, OC for one. He came up under one of the great coaching mentors in recent memory. Also played qb in college and arena league. College teammates with the current Chiefs GM who recommended him to Reid at the beginning. He's ready. 

Thus, we're stuck with

instead of

Yeah man like big boy said, give it a chance. Last year many of us were like "what the F!" After loading out on MacCadoo and Gase. And now look. Course having Wentz sure helps but your team looks like it has some really building blocks. Look at Reid like a parent. I don't know if you have kids but I think every parent decides to take some things that worked well as they were raised and for damn sure does some things 100% different. Every coach from Reid gets grilled on the clock and game management issues before they even call their first game. It's unfair but is what it is. You might be really happy in a year or two. Or not.... ;)

I like them being aggressive and getting Nagy instead of waiting for the rest of the playoffs to unfold.

McDaniels' experience with the Broncos was a huge turnoff and I was hoping he'd fail.

Rather have seen DeFilippo, but for me Nagy was a close second.

Bear down.

From one of local guys:

Source tells me the Indianapolis Colts were all in on hiring Matt Nagy. Uncertainty on health of Andrew Luck vs Mitchell Trubisky + Nagy’s belief the Bears roster is much better made decision for him. “Pace landed him by convincing him sunny days are ahead for the Bears.”

It's been said that it may be a year too early for Nagy but waiting a year may be too late to get him.  It's better to be early than late on something like hiring a coach.

For years Bear's fans have been putting up with the same crap year after year.  I feel like Nebraska fans constantly trying to relive the good old days but it's time to let it go.  They will never be the 85' Bears again and I can't stand Nebraska so it's time to let go of the past.  This is the first regime that feels like it's trying to go a different direction for once.  No more of the conservative, hard nosed, defense first type team that has proven not to work.  It's time to be aggressive.

If anyone thinks this is just another typical hire for the Bears I think you're very wrong.  Pace is running things now and it seems he's gone all in with his idea which I respect.  It may fail but at least they are trying to do something different to get out of the funk they've been in.

Fortune favors the bold.  The Bear's are being bold right now so lets see if it leads to fortune.

From one of local guys:

Source tells me the Indianapolis Colts were all in on hiring Matt Nagy. Uncertainty on health of Andrew Luck vs Mitchell Trubisky + Nagy’s belief the Bears roster is much better made decision for him. “Pace landed him by convincing him sunny days are ahead for the Bears.”
Also, I'd rather live on the Gold Coast or similar in Chicago than anywhere in Indianapolis

Any more rumors on the OC/DC front?  I think they need to offer Fangio top 3 DC money for 4 years to just lock down that side of the ball, most of the staff can stay the same and hopefully we won't lose any momentum on that side of the ball.  Be a serious F-ing shame if the Packers can steal him away and we have to start over on the defensive side as well.

• Smile
Any more rumors on the OC/DC front?  I think they need to offer Fangio top 3 DC money for 4 years to just lock down that side of the ball, most of the staff can stay the same and hopefully we won't lose any momentum on that side of the ball.  Be a serious F-ing shame if the Packers can steal him away and we have to start over on the defensive side as well.
Pretty sure they were already paying him top 3 money. Will come down to where Vic wants to be.  Could try for the guy from Arizona if Vic leaves so not the end of the world. 

Nagy has been with Reid for 10 years. Intern, coaching assistant, offensive quality control, qb coach for 3 years, OC for one. He came up under one of the great coaching mentors in recent memory. Also played qb in college and arena league. College teammates with the current Chiefs GM who recommended him to Reid at the beginning. He's ready. 
I like the thought of having a guy that knows how things work from the ground up.

Really hope Vic stays as DC, but if he leaves I REALLY hope he doesn't go to the Packers.

I hope Fangio sticks around, the D was pretty decent considering the amount of injuries they had and I think Vic might a key cog in that. 

Happy with Nagy, so happy Foxxy is gone!!

This team isn't that far away folks, I mean please be close for all of us poor Bears fans out there. 

• Smile
Hawkeye21 said:
It's been said that it may be a year too early for Nagy but waiting a year may be too late to get him.  It's better to be early than late on something like hiring a coach.

For years Bear's fans have been putting up with the same crap year after year.  I feel like Nebraska fans constantly trying to relive the good old days but it's time to let it go.  They will never be the 85' Bears again and I can't stand Nebraska so it's time to let go of the past.  This is the first regime that feels like it's trying to go a different direction for once.  No more of the conservative, hard nosed, defense first type team that has proven not to work.  It's time to be aggressive.

If anyone thinks this is just another typical hire for the Bears I think you're very wrong.  Pace is running things now and it seems he's gone all in with his idea which I respect.  It may fail but at least they are trying to do something different to get out of the funk they've been in.

Fortune favors the bold.  The Bear's are being bold right now so lets see if it leads to fortune.
You know why all of Nebraska's trees lean to the East?

Because Iowa sucks!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile

Users who are viewing this thread