What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Minnesota Vikings (3 Viewers)

What? I can't give an opinion? 

I hope I'm wrong but Spielmans record on drafting O-Lineman is poor.
Not going to argue with you about his track record, but that doesn't mean you stop trying...

Actually was a good year to not have a first rounder based on their need and how it matched up to the draft.

I am speculating that the Patriots were concerned the Vikings or another team would select Antonio Garcia and maybe the Vikings would have, maybe they wouldn't. But with NE selecting him ahead of them (and them knowing this beforehand) they made a trade with KC as no essential player on our board at this point.

Maybe not. It just seemed like the timing was NE moved up to pick 85 and shortly after that the Vikings traded down with KC.

Depends on talent drop off from 86 to 104.
I think the drop off is minimal, plus they get the extra fourth back so if they really covet someone early tomorrow they have plenty of ammo to go get him...to me anything in the mid third through the fifth is really about the same in talent - just a matter of preference of players, so stockpiling and rolling the dice is the safest bet.

So they turned that third into 2 fourths and two sevenths...that isn't too bad...package a fifth and sevenths to move up sometime tomorrow...good haul. 

Oops, no fifth...oh well...

Last edited by a moderator:
It would have been nice to see another pick today.

I wasn't too disappointed with the players that have been drafted are gone since pick 86 though. 

Here’s a full rundown of all the selections that the Vikings have for the third day in Philadelphia as things stand right now.

Round 4

Round 5

• No picks

Round 6

• Pick 15, #199 overall

Round 7

• Pick 1, #219 overall (from 49ers through Cleveland Browns)
  • Pick 14, #232 overall
  • Pick 27, #245 overall (from Chiefs)
---------------------

I'd expect some wheeling and dealing still, probably in the 4th round as in a trade down, a 4th for a 5th and 7th (ugh)

We still need, in my opinion, 3-technique DT, WLB/MLB type, a Safety, speed WR who can do some returns, TE who first can block, another O-lineman and punter.

Top names on the board, (we currently picking 2nd today) Carl Lawson, DE/OLB, Auburn .... Jake Butt, TE, Michigan ... Dorian Johnson, G, Pittsburgh ... Eddie Jackson, FS, Alabama ... Dede Westbrook, WR, Oklahoma ... Caleb Brantley, DT, Florida ... Carlos Watkins, DT, Clemson ... Isaac Asiata, OG, Utah .... Desmond King, CB/S, Iowa ... - Josh Reynolds, WR, Texas A&M ... Ryan Switzer, WR, North Carolina

Some red flags here in Westbrook and Brantley in particular with some injury concerns with others.  I'd like us to get Butt.

I like Eddie Jackson. He takes bad angles and needs a lot of work as a tackler, but he does a good job of roaming in the back end and has good range to play free safety with plus ball skills. If the Vikings think he tackles well enough, or that they can help him improve in that area, I think he could be a great pick.

There are several guards available that I think would be good additions. Dorian Johnson, Isaac Asiata, I have heard Nico Siragusa is a very physical guard as well, just started watching that team a bit this morning.

I have no idea who might be good at LB to take. Maybe no one?

I think Kittle as a blocker more than Butt.

A player who I think could be a good fit for the Vikings at under tackle is DeMarcus Walker FSU either him or Eddie Jackson would be my choice if they do not trade down again.

What is he good at? 

Johnson was 111 on the consensus board, so based on that decent value for where they selected him. I just thought some other defensive players available could do more.

I want the Vikings to draft Alek Torgersen with one of there 7th rounders.  Has Spielman ever drafted a 7th rounder that has made the team? 

I want the Vikings to draft Alek Torgersen with one of there 7th rounders.  Has Spielman ever drafted a 7th rounder that has made the team? 
He has actually done pretty well in the 7th round the past few years:

• Shamar Stephen
  • Jayron Kearse
  • Stephen Weatherly
  • Jabari Price
  • Edmond Robinson
  • Michael Mauti
  • Audie Cole

Noticed something interesting looking at these trades on the NFL Trade Value Charts posted online in many places. Specifically, those charts clearly do not align with how teams are actually valuing picks. To wit, here are the three main transactions by the Vikings and their supposed trade value:

1. Gave up 4th (128) to move up 7 spots in 2nd to get Dalvin Cook 

2. Gave up 5th (160) to move up 9 spots in the 3rd to get Pat Elflein

3. Gave up 3rd (86) for 4th (109-Johnson), 2 in 5th (170, 180) and 3 in 7th (219, 230, 245)--This was actually a series of trade downs summarized into one.

Trade 1 above suggests a net gain of 26 value points (moving up from 48 to 41 worth 70 points; pick 128 worth 44 points)

Trade 2 above suggests a net gain of 18 value points (moving up from 79 to 70 worth 45 points; pick 160 worth 27 points) 

Trade 3 (actually many trades) suggests a net loss of 33.4 value points (pick 86 valued at 160 points; picks 109, 170, 180, 219, 230, 245 combine for 126.6)

Given that every trade above suggests the teams that trade up gained value (and teams trading down lost value), I think the "real" draft pick values used by teams must consistently give more value to late/extra picks than the NFL Trade Value Charts suggest. Someone ought to put all of the real trades executed over the last few years in as data points to infer the real pick values being used. An update is clearly needed.

Noticed something interesting looking at these trades on the NFL Trade Value Charts posted online in many places. Specifically, those charts clearly do not align with how teams are actually valuing picks. To wit, here are the three main transactions by the Vikings and their supposed trade value:

1. Gave up 4th (128) to move up 7 spots in 2nd to get Dalvin Cook 

2. Gave up 5th (160) to move up 9 spots in the 3rd to get Pat Elflein

3. Gave up 3rd (86) for 4th (109-Johnson), 2 in 5th (170, 180) and 3 in 7th (219, 230, 245)--This was actually a series of trade downs summarized into one.

Trade 1 above suggests a net gain of 26 value points (moving up from 48 to 41 worth 70 points; pick 128 worth 44 points)

Trade 2 above suggests a net gain of 18 value points (moving up from 79 to 70 worth 45 points; pick 160 worth 27 points) 

Trade 3 (actually many trades) suggests a net loss of 33.4 value points (pick 86 valued at 160 points; picks 109, 170, 180, 219, 230, 245 combine for 126.6)

Given that every trade above suggests the teams that trade up gained value (and teams trading down lost value), I think the "real" draft pick values used by teams must consistently give more value to late/extra picks than the NFL Trade Value Charts suggest. Someone ought to put all of the real trades executed over the last few years in as data points to infer the real pick values being used. An update is clearly needed.
Chase Stewart has done this before I am not sure about recently.

Like all markets things are always changing, and so the values of trade charts change as new trades are added to the model for the trade value chart.

I will see if I can dig that up.

Introducing the NFL Draft Pick Value Calculator

Here

This is five years old so things like the CBA and now this year being able to trade compensatory picks have likely changed these values somewhat. 

Here's some notes I managed to dig up on some of the players we drafted.........

Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State - Vikings trade up for PFF’s highest-graded running back. Health and off-field concerns dropped Cook to Day 2, but the Vikings felt they couldn’t risk waiting for him any longer and traded up with the Bengals for the former Seminole. Cook led the FBS in elusive rating, as he broke 99 total tackles last season. One major issue with his game is his ball security, as he fumbled 14 times in 763 career touches in college, but if he can maintain his health and stay focused on football, he could be a significant steal for the Vikings. --- Vikings traded up to select Florida State RB Dalvin Cook with the No. 41 overall pick in the 2017 NFL draft. - Cook (5’10/210) broke Warrick Dunn’s FSU rushing record in just three seasons, piling up 4,464 yards on 687 carries (6.50 YPC) with 46 TDs and 79 catches. While known best for his big-play runs, Cook showed workhorse ability with 17 games of 20-plus carries and shined as a receiver, averaging 11.8 career yards per catch. Extremely difficult to tackle in space, Cook finished No. 1 in PFF College’s 2016 Elusive Rating. Cook confirmed his long speed (4.49) in Indy, but struggled in agility drills. Cook’s biggest drawbacks are his injury history after three career shoulder surgeries and ball security after he fumbled 14 times on 763 touches, including six fumbles in 2016. Still, Cook projects as an early-career lead back with three-down potential. Rotoworld draft analyst Josh Norris has compared him to DeAngelo Williams. In Minnesota, Cook becomes the likely Week 1 starter ahead of Latavius Murray and Jerick McKinnon.
-
Pat Elflein, C/G, Ohio State - Vikings get versatile interior offensive linemen.  Pat Elflein can play either guard or center, so that positional versatility is very valuable in the third round. Elflein is at his best as a run blocker, and his 90.2 percent run-block success rate ranks 19th among centers in the draft class. Vikings selected Ohio State C/G Pat Elflein with the No. 70 overall pick of the 2017 NFL draft. --- Elflein (6’3/303) made 40 starts on the Buckeyes’ line, manning guard as a sophomore and junior before shifting to pivot as a senior, where he earned the Rimington Award as the nation’s top center. Elflein was a first-team All-Big Ten pick in each of his final three years. A decorated high school wrestler, Elflein’s work ethic and leadership were roundly applauded in Columbus, and his run-blocking prowess stands out on tape. Very much on the Jeff Uhlenhake-LeCharles Bentley-Nick Mangold Buckeye center career path, Elflein is pro ready with long-term starter potential. - Ohio State C Pat Elflein is scheduled to visit the Vikings this week, according to beat writer Darren Wolfson. Elflein is viewed as the second best center on the board, depending on where Forrest Lamp is projected. Elflein is a longtime starter at both guard and center, displaying outstanding tape against a number of top Big Ten defensive linemen.
-
Jaleel Johnson - DL - Vikings - Vikings selected Iowa DT Jaleel Johnson with the No. 109 overall pick in the 2017 NFL draft. - Johnson (6’3/316) was a two-year starter on the Hawkeyes’ defensive line, recording 18 career tackles for loss and 12 sacks and earning first-team All-Big Ten from the conference’s coaches as a senior. He proceeded to bomb the Combine, testing as a fifth-percentile athlete. A heavyweight wrestler in high school, Johnson won with relentless effort, interior bull rush, and technically-sound hand usage on college tape. Not quite powerful enough to play nose tackle or explosive enough for three technique, Johnson profiles as a No. 2/3 defensive tackle capable of providing 15-25 useful snaps per game.  --- Johnson is a reliable interior run defender. With a diverse pass-rushing skill-set — illustrated by his pass-rushing productivity mark of 10.4 (eighth in the class) — Johnson represents a defensive tackle with starting potential. - Johnson (6’3/316) was a two-year starter on the Hawkeyes’ defensive line, recording 18 career tackles for loss and 12 sacks and earning first-team All-Big Ten from the conference’s coaches as a senior. He proceeded to bomb the Combine, testing as a fifth-percentile athlete. A heavyweight wrestler in high school, Johnson won with relentless effort, interior bull rush, and technically-sound hand usage on college tape. Not quite powerful enough to play nose tackle or explosive enough for three technique, Johnson profiles as a No. 2/3 defensive tackle capable of providing 15-25 useful snaps per game.
-
Ben Gedeon - LB - Vikings - Vikings selected Michigan LB Ben Gedeon with the No. 120 overall pick in the 2017 NFL draft. - Gedeon (6’2/244) made only 14 starts at Michigan, logging 21 career tackles for loss and 6.5 sacks and earning second-team All-Big Ten as a senior. He did exhibit above-average athleticism at the Combine, testing as a 64th-percentile athlete with 4.75 speed and an impressive 6.98 three-cone time. A similar prospect to ex-college teammate Packers ILB Jake Ryan, Gedeon played special teams all four years in Ann Arbor and should open his career there before eventually pushing for defensive snaps. He’s a high-floor pick with a low-end starter’s ceiling. --- Ben Gedeon is an instinctive run defender, but is unlikely to offer significant support on pass plays due to playing-speed deficiencies. He gave up just 1.98 yards per tackle, the seventh-best mark in the class.
-
Rodney Adams - WR - Vikings - Vikings selected USF WR Rodney Adams with the No. 170 overall pick in the 2017 NFL draft. Adams (6’1/189) made 29 starts for the Bulls after transferring from Toledo, needing only three seasons to finish second in USF history in career catches (135), receiving yards (1,967), and receiving TDs (16). He earned second-team All-American Athletic Conference as a junior and senior, also returning kickoffs. While Adams is slippery after the catch with 4.44 speed, his slight build and poor ball security are big concerns after Adams dropped far too many passes in college and fumbled five times as a senior. He’ll likely have to carve out special teams value to last in the pros. --- Adams is an explosive receiver who is at his best when in the slot and can get into space. He ran over 80 percent of his routes from the slot in 2016. His 9.8 yards after the catch average was the second-highest mark among all FBS wide receivers with at least 50 receptions.
-
Danny Isidora - G - Vikings - Vikings selected Miami G Danny Isidora with the No. 180 overall pick in the 2017 NFL draft. - Isidora (6’3/306) made 39 starts at right guard for the Hurricanes, earning second-team All-ACC from the conference’s coaches as a senior. Isidora all but bombed the Combine, posting 17th-percentile SPARQ results including brutal marks in the broad jump (7’10") and three-cone drill (8.13). Neither a powerful mauler nor athletic enough to consistently hold up in pass protection, Isidora will likely have a hard time keeping a roster spot in the NFL. --- Danny Isidora was the No. 5 guard on PFF’s draft board. Isidora’s third-down pass-blocking efficiency rating of 99.4 ranks second among all guards in the class.
-
Bucky Hodges - TE - Vikings - Vikings selected Virginia Tech WR/TE Bucky Hodges with the No. 201 overall pick in the 2017 NFL draft. - Hodges (6’6/257) turned pro as a redshirt junior after starting 37 games at Virginia Tech, amassing a career 133-1,747-20 (13.1 YPR) receiving line. Recruited as a quarterback, Hodges has caught passes for only three years. He is a freaky athlete, compiling a 21-89-1 (4.2 YPC) rushing line in college and posting 95th-percentile SPARQ results at the Combine with 4.57 speed and incredible vertical (39") and broad (11’2") jumps. More wideout than traditional tight end, Hodges has a long way to go as an in-line player. Still learning the position, Hodges will struggle to earn early NFL snaps. --- Bucky Hodges is not a traditional in-line tight end, as he lined up on the line of scrimmage for just 17 out of 915 snaps last season. However, his production since 2014 is unmatched by the rest of the tight end class, as he led in snaps in route (1,112), targets (238), receptions (133), and yards (1,755). - Virginia Tech TE/WR Bucky Hodges led all tight ends at the NFL Combine with a 39-inch inch vertical jump.
Not only did he pace the TE field, but Hodges became only the second player measuring 6-foot-6 or taller to post a 39-inch-or-better jump at the Combine since 2006, falling just below Mario Williams' 40.5-inch leap. For some context on Hodges' jump, consider that the 6-foot-6 Jimmy Graham posted a 38.5-inch vertical at the 2010 Combine. - NFL Media's Lance Zierlein compares Virginia Tech TE Bucky Hodges to Devin Funchess.
At 6-foot-6, 257 pounds, Hodges placed in the 94th percentile as an athlete at the NFL Combine, but he remains more athlete than football player due to his mediocre routes and inconsistent hands. "He can line up inside or outside while his size and ability to work all three levels of the field should be appealing to teams looking for pass catching options," Zierlein wrote. "The competitive nature of the NFL could bring out more consistent toughness in him as a blocker. He has the tools to be a long-time starter and touchdown-maker in the league."
-
Stacy Coley - WR - Vikings - Vikings selected Miami WR Stacy Coley with the No. 219 overall pick in the 2017 NFL draft. - Coley (6’0/195) made 31 starts at The U, tallying a career 166-2,128-20 (13.4 YPR) receiving line with two return scores. He was only selected third-team All-ACC as a senior. While Coley had a largely successful Hurricanes career – his 166 catches are second most in school history – Coley’s character and passion for the game were questioned by scouts, and he wasn’t a dominant collegiate. A middling athlete, Coley looks like a low-floor prospect in the Markus Wheaton mold. --- Stacy Coley hears his name soon after his college quarterback is selected. Although there is some inconsistency in his game, Coley is an elusive and versatile wideout capable of manning the slot (75.7 percent catch rate was 11th in the class) or the perimeter. He caught nine touchdowns (also breaking nine tackles) on his 63 receptions in 2016.
-
Ifeadi Odenigbo - DL - Vikings - Vikings selected Northwestern DE Ifeadi Odeanigbo with the No. 220 overall pick in the 2017 NFL draft. - Odenigbo (6’3/258) spent his first two college seasons as a nickel rusher and started the final two, leading the Big Ten in sacks (10.0) as a senior and graduating with the second most sacks (23.5) in school history. Big Ten coaches voted him first-team all-conference last year. At the Combine, Odenigbo ran 4.72 and showed explosion with a 10-foot-7 broad jump. Odenigbo has a chance to be a useful special teamer and sub-package rusher in the pros. --- Ifeadi Odenigbo was a strong pass-rusher in 2016 for Northwestern. His 84.1 pass-rush grade ranked fifth among Big Ten edge defenders, and his overall pass-rushing productivity mark ranked fourth in the conference. He had possibly the best stretch of back-to-back games in the country as far as edge production in 2016, as he racked up a total of six sacks and 10 hurries against Iowa and Michigan State in Week 5 and 7. 
-
Elijah Lee - LB - Vikings - Vikings selected Kansas State OLB Elijah Lee with the No. 232 overall pick in the 2017 NFL draft. - Lee (6’3/229) turned pro after starting 2-of-3 seasons at K-State, tallying 18.5 career tackles for loss with 11 sacks, five interceptions, and three forced fumbles. Snubbed for a Combine invite, Lee shined at the Wildcats’ Pro Day with a 4.72 forty, 38-inch vertical, and 7.05 three-cone time. On college tape, Lee popped on passing downs as an explosive pursuit player and flashed high-end pass-coverage chops. He deserved more buzz during the pre-draft phase. --- The Vikings have waded into Big 12 waters for a linebacker in the seventh round. Kansas State’s Elijah Lee notched 44 total stops in 2016, which ranked third among all linebackers in the conference. While he struggled in coverage, he added 10 sacks and nine QB hits in the past three seasons for the Wildcats.
-
Jack Tocho - DB - Vikings - Vikings selected NC State CB Jack Tocho with the No. 245 overall pick in the 2017 NFL draft. - A team captain in 2016, Tocho bounced back from missed time in 2015 and produced a solid final season. Thanks to his height Tocho projects best as a press corner, and we know Mike Zimmer loves those. Tocho tested in the 55th percentile in terms of athleticism. --- The Vikings got strong value with this pick, as Tocho ranked 176th on our big board. His speed and size allowed him to break up seven passes while also intercepting two, and he only allowed a completion percentage of 50.0 on throws into his coverage last year. -- NFL Media's Lance Zierlein notes that NC State CB Jack Tocho's "inability to carry speed down the field could limit his scheme fits." "The football intelligence and instincts are good enough but he has to prove he can run," Zierlein writes. That question was answered in part at the NFL Scouting Combine, where the 6-foot, 202-pounder ran a fine-if-unspectacular 4.54-second 40-yard dash. During his final season at NC State, Tocho recorded 37 tackles (2.0 for loss), two picks and nine passes defended.

I thought the Vikings had the best draft of any team in the NFL. I don't think they had a single reach, and had at least 4 major steals in Cook, Elflein, Johnson and Hodges. 

I am not familiar enough with the players the Vikings selected on the 3rd day yet. They were not guys I was looking at. Well except for Hodges.

I love the Cook and Elflien picks. 

Here is a small list of undrafted players the Vikings signed so far.........

Tommy Armstrong, QB, Nebraska (Tryout, likely moving to WR)

Tashawn Bower, DE/OLB, Louisiana State

Dylan Bradley, DE, Southern Mississippi

Aviante Collins, OL, Texas Christian

Derrick Griffin, WR, Texas Southern (Tryout)

Caleb Kidder, DE, Montana

Wes Lunt, QB, Illinois

Jack Nelson, QB, Winona State (Tryout)

Terrell Newby, RB, Nebraska

Josiah Price, TE, Michigan State

Horace Richardson, CB, Southern Methodist

Richie Sampson, S, Coastal Carolina

R.J. Shelton, WR, Michigan State

Austin Tennessee, DB, Stevenson

Eric Wilson, LB, Cincinnati

My cousin and I watched Jaleel Johnson a couple times against Penn State. He is getting blown off the line so much. We decided the Vikings would be better off drafting the guard who keeps pushing him around for the majority of this game.  :(

I thought the Vikings had the best draft of any team in the NFL. I don't think they had a single reach, and had at least 4 major steals in Cook, Elflein, Johnson and Hodges. 
Spoken like a true vikes fan! I hope Cook is as elusive as they say, because he has no one to block. 

Spoken like a true vikes fan! I hope Cook is as elusive as they say, because he has no one to block. 
Not sure I've ever been called a Vikings fan before. I'm a Bears fan who would have happily traded front offices with Minnesota.

Reiff-Boone-Berger-Elflein-Remmers is one hell of an upgrade from last season, Clemmings is a much more useful swing tackle than starting left tackle.

That Murray signing looks pretty rough right now, he's a much more expensive Asiata at this point. I'm expecting Cook to start, and McKinnon to stay in his change of pace 3rd down role. That leaves short yardage for Murray and backing up Cook. 

Not sure I've ever been called a Vikings fan before. I'm a Bears fan who would have happily traded front offices with Minnesota.

Reiff-Boone-Berger-Elflein-Remmers is one hell of an upgrade from last season, Clemmings is a much more useful swing tackle than starting left tackle.

That Murray signing looks pretty rough right now, he's a much more expensive Asiata at this point. I'm expecting Cook to start, and McKinnon to stay in his change of pace 3rd down role. That leaves short yardage for Murray and backing up Cook. 
A lot of Vikings fans are pretty die hard, go 3-13 and keep right on talking smack, so I figured "best draft of any team" was par for the course. A grand opinion from a rival, feel good vikes fans!

I would have liked to see the Vikings spend one of those 4th round picks on another linemen. Preferably a tackle. I think Antonio Garcia might have been on their board, but the Patriots traded up a spot ahead of them and drafted him. Then the Vikings traded down.

I am worried about Clemmings having to play again if Reif or Remmers are injured. Clemmings one of the worst offensive linemen I have seen, because players doing that poorly usually get benched sooner than he did. 

Here's some more info on the street free agents that the Vikings signed.......

Tashawn Bower, DE, LSU: The Vikings gave the LSU defensive end a $15,000 signing bonus, and guaranteed $30,000 of his base salary for 2017. General manager Rick Spielman talked about making a stronger commitment to undrafted free agents, and Bower caught the Vikings' eye as a pass-rusher they could mold. He needs to use his hands more effectively, but defensive line coach Andre Patterson has coaxed quick progress out of young linemen like Bower in the past.

Dylan Bradley, DE, Southern Mississippi: The 6-foot-1 defensive end had 8 1/2 sacks last season, including 1 1/2 in the New Orleans Bowl. His uncle is former Cowboys and Redskins defensive end Jason Hatcher, who was drafted by the Cowboys in 2006, when Mike Zimmer was the defensive coordinator in Dallas. The Vikings gave Bradley a $15,000 signing bonus and a $25,000 base salary guarantee for 2017.

Aviante Collins, T, TCU: Collins stood out with eye-popping workout numbers at the combine, and he comes from rich athletic stock; his father, Bill, was a legendary sprinter at TCU who later became a mentor for James Cooper, Adrian Peterson's trainer. The younger Collins ran a 4.81-second 40-yard dash at the combine, and put up 34 reps at 225 pounds in the bench press. He'll get a chance to make the roster after the Vikings decided not to draft a tackle.

Nick Fett, T, Iowa State: The Vikings will take a look at the 6-foot-7 Fett, who became a starter for the first time in 2016 and helped the Cyclones average 421.6 offensive yards per game, which was the fifth-highest total in school history. The former walk-on was a second-team all-conference pick by Big 12 coaches.

Caleb Kidder, DE, Montana: The 6-foot-5 Kidder figures to work as a defensive end who can move inside in passing situations; he told The Missoulian that he'd connected with Patterson, who played at Montana in the 1980s, and picked the Vikings over the Ravens, Bears and Buccaneers. "It just felt right, kind of felt like home to call myself a Viking," he told the paper.

Wes Lunt, QB, Illinois: The former Illini quarterback sustained a fractured fibula in 2014, and missed four games because of injury last season. He completed only 56 percent of his passes his last two years at Illinois. He'll get a look as a developmental quarterback, fighting for snaps behind Sam Bradford, Case Keenum and Taylor Heinicke.

Sam McCaskill, DE, Boise State: McCaskill posted 6 1/2 sacks for the Broncos last season, earning All-Mountain West honors last season as he posted 50 tackles, including 14 for loss. He finished his career at Boise State with 10 1/2 sacks and 20 1/2 tackles for loss.

Terrell Newby, RB, Nebraska: The 5-foot-10 running back posted 879 yards on 190 carries last season, scoring seven rushing touchdowns in his best season for the Cornhuskers.

Josiah Price, TE, Michigan State: Price -- who stands 6-foot-4 and weighs 248 pounds -- caught 38 passes for 387 yards last season, though he figures to fit more as a blocking tight end than as a receiving option. The Vikings gave the Greentown, Indiana, native a $5,000 signing bonus.

Horace Richardson, DB, SMU: The Vikings gave Richardson a $5,000 signing bonus and a $15,000 base salary guarantee as they signed the defensive back who returned from two ACL injuries to post an impressive senior year. Richardson intercepted six passes for the Mustangs, breaking up another 14 while recording 32 tackles.

R.J. Shelton, WR, Michigan State: The 5-foot-11 wide receiver played running back as well, and was a dynamic kick returner who finished second in Spartans history with 1,855 return yards. He posted more than 1,000 all-purpose yards three times in his career, rushing for a career-high 549 yards in 2016.

Shaan Washington, LB, Texas A&M: Washington posted 104 combined tackles as a senior, forcing two fumbles and registering 2 1/2 sacks. The 6-foot-3 linebacker had 20 career tackles for loss with the Aggies.

Eric Wilson, LB, Cincinnati: After transferring from Northwestern, Wilson fashioned an impressive career for the Bearcats, making 129 tackles and posting three sacks as a senior. He's 6 foot 2 and is a converted safety, but Mike Zimmer has shown an interest in safety/linebacker hybrid types, and it's possible the Vikings will look at Wilson in that capacity.

I am speculating that the Patriots were concerned the Vikings or another team would select Antonio Garcia and maybe the Vikings would have, maybe they wouldn't. But with NE selecting him ahead of them (and them knowing this beforehand) they made a trade with KC as no essential player on our board at this point.

Maybe not. It just seemed like the timing was NE moved up to pick 85 and shortly after that the Vikings traded down with KC.
I think I rather have the team draft Garcia than Cook.  PFF graded the Reiff signing as a "D" and yet we are paying him like a franchise tackle.  

We signed Smith and Boone for big money last season and apparently all our protection problems were solved.  How did that work out?  So I am not buying that Reiff and Remmers are the answer this season.  I would like a plan B but Spielman  is the king of wishful thinking.  I can't believe the only  tackle he choose to add was an undrafted free agent.

I think I rather have the team draft Garcia than Cook.
Why? Garcia is not a better football player than Dalvin Cook. Remember how Peterson would make the offensive line look better than it actually was? Cook can do that too. 

PFF graded the Reiff signing as a "D" and yet we are paying him like a franchise tackle. 
Reiff did not play well as a RT last yeah with the Lions. According to PFF he has been declining in their grades for a few years now IIRC. I believe we discussed this earlier in the thread.

As far as the money goes, that is what it costs for a starting tackle in 2017. Not saying Reiff is good. I hope he plays better at LT than he did at RT. He doesn't have to be that good to be better than Kalil who using the same PFF source was worse than Reiff who was average as a LT in 2015.

The good folks at Pro Football Focus graded out Reiff as the 16th-best left tackle in the NFL in 2015, and 28th overall tackle out of 76 qualifiers. Go back a year and he was 17th at left tackle, out of 38 qualifiers who started at least 4 games on the left side. Granted some of those below in either year didn’t play full seasons, and some are just wretched (hello ex-Lion Jason Fox!). Also, his overall +1.4 grade in 2015 shows a very real dichotomy between run blocking (6th for left tackles) and pass protection (19th at his position). LINK
Left tackle Matt Kalil (47.1) has been largely a disappointment since his wonderful rookie year of 2012, bottoming out in 2014, where his 55 pressures allowed were the second-most in the league among tackles. He improved slightly in 2015, where his 44 pressures allowed were just 18th in the league. Nonetheless, the Vikings are getting below-average production from their former top-five draft pick at a very important position in the development of quarterback Teddy Bridgewater (77.4).
Please note that both Reiff and Remmers graded better in 2016 (above 60) than Kalil in 2015 (47). So it is an improvement from Kalil. It is a HUGE improvement from TJ Clemmings (37) who makes Kalil look good.

We signed Smith and Boone for big money last season and apparently all our protection problems were solved.  
What? Who thought this? You are funny.Smith got injured and barely played. Boone wasn't great but he is ok. 2nd best lineman the Vikings had healthy in 2016 after Berger.

So I am not buying that Reiff and Remmers are the answer this season.  I would like a plan B but Spielman  is the king of wishful thinking.  I can't believe the only  tackle he choose to add was an undrafted free agent.
What is the question they are supposed to answer?

They are better than what the Vikings had and two of the top 8 tackle players available in free agency. 

I agree with you that I would have liked the Vikings to draft a tackle to hopefully replace Clemmings, The Vikings more committed to the players that they have even though they were not good enough last year for them to bench Clemmings. Thats not good. So I am not happy about it either. That said the only tackles left after Garcia was picked by NE were long term projects too, like Clemmings. Garcia was the last guy on my list at that point that I really wanted at tackle. 

Looking at the draft there were 30 picks after Garcia before another lineman was selected, and that player was guard.Dorian Johnson (who I like but does not play tackle). 44 picks before the next Tackle David Sharpe was selected. So all of the teams passed on tackles for quite awhile after Garcia was drafted.

:shrug:  Donny..... aka Mr Negative

I do have concerns with the O-line as I'm sure we'll probably go after an offensive linemen very early next year, but we'll be a huge improvement from last year's brutal issues there.  We lost FIVE offensive Tackles....and considering the replacements we used down the stretch, we still managed a pretty good passing game.  To me this group is the key for us going to an 11-5 type of record or 8-8ish.

Minnesota Vikings leave depth chart clues at linebacker, but no answers

There has been plenty of speculation as to how the Vikings linebackers will be lined up with the retirement of Greenway and the opening of a starting spot for a weakside linebacker in the Vikings’ base 4-3 setup. Atop that speculation has been that Kendricks might move outside and Brothers would be in contention to fight for the starting middle linebacker spot.
Brothers seems more of a 2 down MLB than a weak side LB. 

Been hoping Edmond Robinson could push Greenway for a couple years now but that hasn't happened. Both he and Elijah Lee have the athleticism for traditional WLB role.

Ben Gedeon has been listed as a inside LB, so if he were to win a starting job in the 4-3 perhaps that would be Kendricks moving outside in that package?

Considering we'll be facing Rodgers and Stafford twice plus Brees and Ben and other teams who will probably use some form of a 3-WR set, the 3rd linebacker, whomever wins it, won't play that much in my opinion.  I also was hoping Edmunds would steal time last year from Chad........ :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread