What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Patrick Mahomes II, KC (3 Viewers)

Walking Boot said:
Looks like a decent starter normally, but, bench in fantasy for dome games :shrug:
If he can lead us to the FF Championship Game Week 16 it's at Chicago. So glad that game will be played December 22nd at Soldier Field and not in a dome. 

If he can lead us to the FF Championship Game Week 16 it's at Chicago. So glad that game will be played December 22nd at Soldier Field and not in a dome. 
Start praying right now for bad weather

Last edited by a moderator:
Mahomes is without Tyreek Hill and now he will potentially be without Sammy Watkins this weekend against the Colts. It will be interesting to see how he responds.

Remember a few years ago when the Chiefs went an entire season without a TD pass to a wide receiver?
Yeah the system seems to work great once you land the best QB in the league. 

There was one play against the Lions where Mahommes took off running to his right and looked back at the ref, presumably to check if a flag was thrown for holding, while he was running. I've never seen any QB do that before and while it seems like no big deal, it actually highlights how he can process multiple tasks at once while under pressure. Not just walking and chewing gum at the same time. Avoiding a sack, reading the field, checking for a flag, rushing for the first down, and spotting John Candy in the stands all at the same time. He's a special player. 

Patrick Mahomes completed 22-of-39 passes for 321 yards and a touchdown in the Chiefs' Week 5 loss to the Colts.

With Sammy Watkins going down on the first drive, Mahomes was playing without his top two receivers. He also aggravated his ankle injury and was clearly playing at less than 100 percent. This was an obvious letdown against a Colts secondary that was missing two starters, but the good news is Mahomes finished the game without any further setbacks. With Tyreek Hill potentially returning in Week 6, Mahomes should rebound in a matchup with the Texans.

Oct 6, 2019, 11:45 PM ET

VikingFrog said:
What did it take to get him?

I just made an offer as well, but anything I piece together feels like a lowball offer due to what everyone knows mahomes can do.
I guess it was lowball but it worked.  Obviously talking redraft here.  But his WRs were dreadful so I took a shot and it worked.

Brady, McLaurin, and Jarvis Landry for Mahomes plus 2 irrelevants.

He has Jameis too se he can play QB matchups.  He had to get some kind of scoring at WR..he drafted AB and then was very weak after that.

:clyde:

I guess it was lowball but it worked.  Obviously talking redraft here.  But his WRs were dreadful so I took a shot and it worked.

Brady, McLaurin, and Jarvis Landry for Mahomes plus 2 irrelevants.

He has Jameis too se he can play QB matchups.  He had to get some kind of scoring at WR..he drafted AB and then was very weak after that.

:clyde:
Thanks. Yeah. My mahomes owner is dangerously thin at RB with Michel, James White and D Montgomery as his only RBs.

Ive offered Wentz and Gurley to radio silence. Still feels like a lowball to me knowing what mahomes can do, but I’m not sure I have any more pieces to give up to just eradicate my team.

I also own Tyreek and my team is hurting so I salivate if I get him and Hill comes back to do what he does best.

Hard to call Mahomes a buy low candidate, but with two mediocre games the window to buy could be now or never because another blow up game and he’s back to being untouchable.

With my luck this year, I’ll get him and he’ll die and Gurley and Wentz will take off into RB#1 and QB#1 status.

Thanks. Yeah. My mahomes owner is dangerously thin at RB with Michel, James White and D Montgomery as his only RBs.

Ive offered Wentz and Gurley to radio silence. Still feels like a lowball to me knowing what mahomes can do, but I’m not sure I have any more pieces to give up to just eradicate my team.

I also own Tyreek and my team is hurting so I salivate if I get him and Hill comes back to do what he does best.

Hard to call Mahomes a buy low candidate, but with two mediocre games the window to buy could be now or never because another blow up game and he’s back to being untouchable.

With my luck this year, I’ll get him and he’ll die and Gurley and Wentz will take off into RB#1 and QB#1 status.
Yep makes sense.  I just got lucky that the Mahomes owner had a clear need at a given position.

Patrick Mahomes (ankle) is practicing Wednesday.

After tweaking it in the Sunday night loss to the Colts last week, Mahomes said he's fine. He should bounce back in a big way this week at home against the Texans with Tyreek Hill (collarbone) possibly rejoining the lineup.

SOURCE: Sam McDowell on Twitter

Oct 9, 2019, 1:41 PM ET

Should the Chiefs sit Patrick Mahomes for a week?

For the second week in a row, Mahomes aggravated the ankle injury he originally suffered in Kansas City's season-opening win over Jacksonville. For the second week in a row, he wasn't anywhere near as effective after taking a hit to the ankle. 

... I went through the Jaguars, Colts and Texans games and charted Mahomes' performance before and after he injured his ankle. (There were two moments when Mahomes seemed to aggravate the ankle in the Colts game; I used the first as my cutoff point.) The numbers can't really be much clearer. In those three games, he has gone from before the ankle flare-up playing like the greatest quarterback who ever lived to looking more like, well, Andy Dalton:

📈 📉 >>>>   CHART QB Patrick Mahomes before and after his ankle injury

There is a report that has suggested Mahomes might be suffering from a high-ankle sprain, which can sideline running backs for weeks but doesn't always keep quarterbacks out of games. Peyton Manning, for one, was able to play through a high ankle sprain during his MVP season in 2013. You don't need me to tell you how different Manning is from Mahomes, of course, and we've repeatedly seen Mahomes sail throws and struggle with his deep accuracy after he injures the ankle. 

...Do I think the Chiefs will sit Mahomes? No. I could certainly see them resting him in the second half if they have a big lead or trail by a significant margin in any of their pre-bye games. If Mahomes is still ailing in Week 11 and the Chiefs have a comfortable divisional lead, they could theoretically rest Mahomes against the Chargers and give him a two-week breather in advance of the final five games of the season. For now, though, the Chiefs will likely continue to run him out there and simply hope their star doesn't injure the ankle any further.

As the nfl always does, the nfl has figured out patrick mahones

You're going to feel dumb for this later in the season imo. There's nothing to figure out, he can hit every square inch of the field from anywhere behind the LOS and he can dissect defenses. He's injured right now and Reid isn't helping him the way he's using the RBs. It's not like we're seeing Mahomes hit a wall. 

You're going to feel dumb for this later in the season imo. There's nothing to figure out, he can hit every square inch of the field from anywhere behind the LOS and he can dissect defenses. He's injured right now and Reid isn't helping him the way he's using the RBs. It's not like we're seeing Mahomes hit a wall. 
That's not what i see in Mahones, I see a guy that can miss a wide open wr by incredible margins and a guy that buys a lot of time in the pocket and whips it down field.  The nfl always catches up...it always does

Plus Andy Reid coached teams always fall apart

And I'm a dynasty owner.

That's not what i see in Mahones, I see a guy that can miss a wide open wr by incredible margins and a guy that buys a lot of time in the pocket and whips it down field.  The nfl always catches up...it always does

Plus Andy Reid coached teams always fall apart

And I'm a dynasty owner.
Okay. We see different things. Not only that, I think given the sample size we have of Mahomes healthy vs. not healthy lately, I think what you say you see is silly. It doesn't really matter to me how poor Andy Reid is at committing to the run, managing the clock, and having post-season success. In fact some of that only adds to Mahomes' value imo, in fantasy.

Okay. We see different things. Not only that, I think given the sample size we have of Mahomes healthy vs. not healthy lately, I think what you say you see is silly. It doesn't really matter to me how poor Andy Reid is at committing to the run, managing the clock, and having post-season success. In fact some of that only adds to Mahomes' value imo, in fantasy.
Agree to disagree

And i thought the same thing last year.  Great qbs don't miss open wr's by 10 yards all the time like he does

20 years ago nobody thought Vick was going to be stopped, and then it was Newton etc...

The nfl always figures out qbs that rely on moving the pocket to be successful.  Successful long term qbs are the guys that can stand in the pocket and make 5 reads in under 3 seconds.

Just going to edit to add that i don't think he is garbage by any means.  I think he is a good qb with great arm strength and obviously phenomenal athleticism.  

Agree to disagree

And i thought the same thing last year.  Great qbs don't miss open wr's by 10 yards all the time like he does

20 years ago nobody thought Vick was going to be stopped, and then it was Newton etc...

The nfl always figures out qbs that rely on moving the pocket to be successful.  Successful long term qbs are the guys that can stand in the pocket and make 5 reads in under 3 seconds.

Just going to edit to add that i don't think he is garbage by any means.  I think he is a good qb with great arm strength and obviously phenomenal athleticism.  
you said you were a dynasty owner....you should probably trade him then if thats the way you feel........no better time than right now right?....before everybody else agrees and sees that the NFL has figured him out..... :lmao:

He's got good feet and maneuvers behind the LOS well...but the fact you equate him and his success to Vick and Newton AT ALL pretty much ends this conversation before it can begin. The way Mahomes moves around inside the pocket has much more in common with Roethlisberger, and outside the pocket much more like Rodgers, and that has aged fine. He's not a running QB by any means and he's still a young guy learning he's not invincible when he extends the play. That's why he's getting hurt. Vick and Cam have zero to do with Mahomes and his long term success, totally different skill-sets. Your comments about his downfield accuracy are downright fantasy malpractice imo. 

He's got good feet and maneuvers behind the LOS well...but the fact you equate him and his success to Vick and Newton AT ALL pretty much ends this conversation before it can begin. The way Mahomes moves around inside the pocket has much more in common with Roethlisberger, and outside the pocket much more like Rodgers, and that has aged fine. He's not a running QB by any means and he's still a young guy learning he's not invincible when he extends the play. That's why he's getting hurt. Vick and Cam have zero to do with Mahomes and his long term success, totally different skill-sets. Your comments about his downfield accuracy are downright fantasy malpractice imo. 
while I agree with 99% of this post....he is actually getting hurt when he stays in the pocket.....and it collapses on him....

you said you were a dynasty owner....you should probably trade him then if thats the way you feel........no better time than right now right?....before everybody else agrees and sees that the NFL has figured him out..... :lmao:
No reason to be a jerk

We will see I guess

He may be a great passer one day but i don't see that yet and the nfl is done with him having 8 seconds to pass downfield

No reason to be a jerk

We will see I guess

He may be a great passer one day but i don't see that yet and the nfl is done with him having 8 seconds to pass downfield
wasn't really being a jerk....just reinforcing what you were saying and offering a suggestion for you to back up the smack you were spewing.....you say all those things but the fact is they would probably have to pry Mahomes out of your cold dead hands before you would deal him.....which makes many of the things above that you said nothing but noise....if you really feel the NFL has figured him out....the ONLY play right now is to deal him....

wasn't really being a jerk....just reinforcing what you were saying and offering a suggestion for you to back up the smack you were spewing.....you say all those things but the fact is they would probably have to pry Mahomes out of your cold dead hands before you would deal him.....which makes many of the things above that you said nothing but noise....if you really feel the NFL has figured him out....the ONLY play right now is to deal him....
Being a jerk and you cant read

Great personality traits

Buck Bradcanon said:
He's a beast, and we are starting him, but this Thursday definitely feels like a floor game in Denver. 
while I agree it doesn't look real good heading in....if KC can find a way to slow down the DEN running game and make them punt just a few times, I think KC will be ok fantasy wise.....Denver just came out of a game where they and the Titans set some kind of record for most punts in a game....like (19) or something...IIRC the Texans didn't even punt once and had like 6-7 (10+) play drives that just drained the clock.....I don't think Flacco will have as much success as Watson did converting third down with his legs and arm....KC also has to minimize turnovers and produce on almost every possession.....the greedy fumble at the end of the first half didn't help obviously...

I think if the DPI that was called and then not called on the defender that was guarding Kelce...(and then the pass was picked off)....would have been called defensive holding (which it should have been) and KC gets an automatic first down at like the HOU 23 yard line....I think the outcome of that game is completely different and the narrative about the demise and figuring out of Mahomes and the Chiefs would be completely different......KC would have probably gone up 23-9....instead it becomes 17-16....

but anyway....DEN defense is playing better than they did earlier in the year, although I watched every snap of the LAC/DEN and TEN/DEN game and I am not sure those two teams could have played any worse on offense.....Rivers was terrible and Mariotta was worse....

no turnovers and a couple stops and KC and Mahomes should put up plenty of points to win....and help in fantasy...

killface said:
Being a jerk and you cant read

Great personality traits
I never said one bad thing about you.....you are the one calling names and getting personal....

and it's not being a jerk if I say..... if you REALLY believe the things you are saying you should trade him immediately.....

I never said one bad thing about you.....you are the one calling names and getting personal....

and it's not being a jerk if I say..... if you REALLY believe the things you are saying you should trade him immediately.....
so the shaking the head and laughing emoticon is a sign of a friendly conversation?

this is what makes modern day discussions so difficult

instead of coming in and saying 'i don't see it that way, when i watch mahones i see this...and i think it will improve', you don't say anything about the conversation and instead attack the messenger.

so the shaking the head and laughing emoticon is a sign of a friendly conversation?

this is what makes modern day discussions so difficult

instead of coming in and saying 'i don't see it that way, when i watch mahones i see this...and i think it will improve', you don't say anything about the conversation and instead attack the messenger.
lol....there is a reason they make that emoticon....its okay to use...but anyway....since about page four I have probably posted more in this thread than anybody but maybe Faust.....I didn't attack anyone....was I being sarcastic :sarcasm: you bet, because I think you are out of your mind and will call you out to trade him if you really believe what you typed....(hope it was ok to use that emoticon).....my view on Mahomes is well documented in this thread....so it should be pretty clear to see why I disagree with your point of view....sorry to call you out.....its what happens on a FF message board when you make such proclamations....my bad....but seriously trade him if you feel the way you do....you will have plenty of buyers....take em to the cleaners....

clearly the NFL has caught up to Mahomes, and it pretty much started with the way Matt Patricia man-handled him in the Det-KC game. before that game, 

PM avg'd 72.3 comp %, , 3.3 TD/gm, 398.3 yards/gm, 10.54 y/a, 12.29 avg yard/attempt, 135.46 QB Rate

since detroit game:

55.9 comp %, 1.33 TD/gm, 303 yards/gm, 7.84 y/a, 8.15 AY/a, 89.8 QB Rate

you can wrap it up and put a bow on it, call it what  you want, but those are significantly worse #'s than the first 3 games. coincidentally, he's done considerably more rushing the past 3 games than the first 3.why? is he being flushed out of the pocket more frequently now? 

On the season, he's tied at 29th place  in comp % for QBs ( tied with MInshew). just a slight tick above Eli.

This 'generational QB' talk has to stop. I've never heard anyone ever say that when talking about guys like Steve Young, Randall Cunningham, Aaron Rodgers, etc. .If you never saw Cunningham or Steve Young play, you missed out.they were doing Mahomes' stuff back in the 90s.

what does generational QB even mean, anyways? that a guy like Mahomes is a once in a 20 year player? LOL. Deshaun Watson was Mahomes before Mahomes was Mahomes. cmon now. as Troy Aikman says 'call me when Mahomes wins a championship". he's a good player.but the best qb in the past 20 years? hmm, Brady, 2 Mannings , Brees, Rodgers ALL disagree.

if you really want to call someone a generational QB, look no further than Russell Wilson, a certified HOF'er someday. he's going to be in the conversation for this years' MVP if he's not already. what a player. I'll bet the farm that Deshaun Watson wins a SB before Mahomes, and he goes to the HOF someday while Mahomes is remembered as a kid who had a great couple of years. Mark Rypien killed it for the Redskins for a 3-4 year stretch. so did Doug Williams. Hostetler had his fun in Oaktown and with the G-men, winning a SB. Rich Gannon had a cup of coffee as the 2002 NFL MVP,  Cam Newton won the NFL MVP in 2015, and hasn't done much since. Mahomes is closer to these guys than he is to a hall of famer like Russell Wilson. 

Reid is on very thin ice - lost 2 games at home, has lost playoff home field advantage ( 2 games back of NE but might not even be the 2nd best AFC team. might fail to get a playoff bye, could be an 11-5 team, having to travel in the postseason - ya never know).so who becomes Mahomes' new OC and HC in 2020? someone much less likely to  pass as much, probably a run-first offense, leaving Mahomes' stats at the door. .people get so wrapped up in catchy phrases like 'generational QB', its comical.

Reid should be fired for hiring an incompetent coach like Spags in the first place.

clearly the NFL has caught up to Mahomes, and it pretty much started with the way Matt Patricia man-handled him in the Det-KC game. before that game, 

PM avg'd 72.3 comp %, , 3.3 TD/gm, 398.3 yards/gm, 10.54 y/a, 12.29 avg yard/attempt, 135.46 QB Rate

since detroit game:

you can wrap it up and put a bow on it, call it what  you want, but those are significantly worse #'s than the first 3 games. coincidentally, he's done considerably more rushing the past 3 games than the first 3.why? is he being flushed out of the pocket more frequently now? 

On the season, he's tied at 29th place  in comp % for QBs ( tied with MInshew). just a slight tick above Eli.

This 'generational QB' talk has to stop. I've never heard anyone ever say that when talking about guys like Steve Young, Randall Cunningham, Aaron Rodgers, etc. .If you never saw Cunningham or Steve Young play, you missed out.they were doing Mahomes' stuff back in the 90s.

what does generational QB even mean, anyways? that a guy like Mahomes is a once in a 20 year player? LOL. Deshaun Watson was Mahomes before Mahomes was Mahomes. cmon now. as Troy Aikman says 'call me when Mahomes wins a championship". he's a good player.but the best qb in the past 20 years? hmm, Brady, 2 Mannings , Brees, Rodgers ALL disagree.

if you really want to call someone a generational QB, look no further than Russell Wilson, a certified HOF'er someday. he's going to be in the conversation for this years' MVP if he's not already. what a player. I'll bet the farm that Deshaun Watson wins a SB before Mahomes, and he goes to the HOF someday while Mahomes is remembered as a kid who had a great couple of years. Mark Rypien killed it for the Redskins for a 3-4 year stretch. so did Doug Williams. Hostetler had his fun in Oaktown and with the G-men, winning a SB. Rich Gannon had a cup of coffee as the 2002 NFL MVP,  Cam Newton won the NFL MVP in 2015, and hasn't done much since. Mahomes is closer to these guys than he is to a hall of famer like Russell Wilson. 

Reid is on very thin ice - lost 2 games at home, has lost playoff home field advantage ( 2 games back of NE but might not even be the 2nd best AFC team. might fail to get a playoff bye, could be an 11-5 team, having to travel in the postseason - ya never know).so who becomes Mahomes' new OC and HC in 2020? someone much less likely to  pass as much, probably a run-first offense, leaving Mahomes' stats at the door. .people get so wrapped up in catchy phrases like 'generational QB', its comical.

Reid should be fired for hiring an incompetent coach like Spags in the first place.
I don’t think the league has figured out anything. Mahommes is playing through a sprained ankle. 

its hindered his mobility & hurt his ability to throw on the run.

that effects him in man more because that’s more where he’s needed to buy time improvising until someone shakes coverage - without the mobility & accuracy throwing on the run, he’s struggled. 

that said, a struggling Mahomes has still been better than a lot of QBs. A gimpy Mahomes still found Tyreek for a 46 yard TD, then hit him for a 2nd score. I think most NFL teams would love to have a “figured out” QB like that. 

Maybe when he’s healthy again you can make some sort of definitive statement like that. For now it’s TBD.

Dude’s playing hurt. I’m impressed by what he’s been able to do on one leg. Thursday night is a quick turnaround, so he may well still be hindered. I’d say if he’s not back to his normal self after a 10 day break between week 7-8 then you can re-up this theory. 

for now I’m calling :bs:

since detroit game:

how many acres do you have....do you own livestock....how many houses on the farm....do you get wifi.....because I may take you up on that bet...

since detroit game:

How do you know Reid is on thin ice? Do you work for the Chiefs organization? Do you have insider information? Please share.

TIA

Users who are viewing this thread