What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official MSNBC Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Just a fact.  His policies and removing Obama's regulation policies has more to do with unemployment 
You don't have a good grasp on the difference between facts and your uninformed opinion. How about providing a short list of specific regulations eliminated and the estimated jobs created by the elimination of the specific regulation. Be sure to include links to actual articles by real economists. Nothing from Fox News or Breitbart etc 

This is the most ridiculous conversation, it has nothing to do with what Sharpton said. You and the other fellow raised it but you’re relying on the Breitbart link and you apparently have no clue why Sharpton said what he said.
What do you think the chances are that they read the article Sharpton was talking about?

You don't have a good grasp on the difference between facts and your uninformed opinion. How about providing a short list of specific regulations eliminated and the estimated jobs created by the elimination of the specific regulation. Be sure to include links to actual articles by real economists. Nothing from Fox News or Breitbart etc 
Google is your friend if you want to find out what regulations were removed.  It's not up to me to do the research for you.

Google is your friend if you want to find out what regulations were removed.  It's not up to me to do the research for you.
I haven't made any claims on how regulation elimination affected job creation. You're the one making a claim that deregulation is having a huge effect but you're unwilling to provide any factual backup to your claims. The burden of proof is on you to provide evidence supporting your beliefs. 

Why is this always your default position when anyone asks you (and other conservatives here) to back your claims?

Don't state something as fact and then say "Go look it up" when you can't prove it, as that is simply a deflection and a really lame response.

I

squistion said:
:mellow:

Welfare plantation? African Americans are still the slaves of Democrats?

A horrible stereotypical characterization of both Democrats and black people.
Yet the mainstream view of Trump's GOP

MSNBC Public Relations‏ @MSNBCPR 19h19 hours ago

.@Maddow was the #1 program Thursday night across all cable TV in total viewers.

Five @MSNBC programs made the Top 10 on cable TV in total viewers: @Maddow #1, @TheLastWord @Lawrence #3, @allinwithchris @chrislhayes #6, @hardball @HardballChris #8 & @11thHour #9.

https://twitter.com/MSNBCPR/status/1068619916557852672

:pickle:  

Not only did MSNBC outdraw some of Fox News’ most popular programming, but Maddow also beat Thursday night football.

I am not sure why anyone would be excited about a hack having good ratings.  Fox News shows like Hannity dominated for a long-time, but that was not a good thing.  It would be far more exciting if we lived in a world where excellent journalists who could fairly represent all sides of an issue dominated the ratings. 

I am not sure why anyone would be excited about a hack having good ratings.  Fox News shows like Hannity dominated for a long-time, but that was not a good thing.  It would be far more exciting if we lived in a world where excellent journalists who could fairly represent all sides of an issue dominated the ratings. 
She is not a hack as she has proved again and again with her coverage of the Trump/Russia connection and she was one of first prominent TV journalists to do so, giving it extensive coverage when news about Flynn and his Russia connections first surfaced.

Also a hack by definition is: "A hack writer is a pejorative term for a writer who is paid to write low-quality, rushed articles or books "to order", often with a short deadline." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hack_writer

Maddow has never tailored what she has reported on "to order" (like the late Ed Schultz) as she has been 100% consistent with her liberal/progressive point of view since she was on Air America. And her content is always well researched and thought out, never low quality or rushed to reach a deadline (how often has she made a retraction of what she has reported on?).

Hannity and O'Reilly dominated because for conservative and Republican viewers Fox is the only game in town. MSNBC has competition from CNN and the major networks for those that don't wish to view the Fox propaganda.

And for years conservatives in the forum and before that in the FFA dismissed MSNBC as a joke pointing to the lack of viewership or low ratings compared to Fox and CNN, saying that no one watched the network. Now that MSNBC has been consistently on top the meme is "So what, who cares about ratings?"

What?  Schultz was fired from MSNBC for going offscript.  You think Comcast just lets their news anchors say whatever they want?  

MSNBC Ordered Ed Schultz Not To Cover Bernie Sanders, Then Fired Him
Meh. I don't buy what Cenk says, Schultz had poor ratings at MSNBC, was let go for that, not for going off script about Sanders (where is your evidence besides a YouTube video clip?)

And Shultz was a mercenary hack, went to Russia Today and was 180 degrees from most of the positions he took previously as an MSNBC host, obviously tailoring his view to the Russian propaganda network, praising Putin and always saying positive things about Trump.

After leaving MSNBC Shultz spoke at CPAC. https://newrepublic.com/minutes/140860/ed-schultz-hits-new-low-cpac

Also let's not forget Schultz originally started out as a conservative talk radio host (a la Limbaugh) then switched sides when he thought it would win him a bigger audience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Msnbc also changed its tack, not politically but journalistically. They used to have this Air America vibe to it, even Maddow was more table pounding, claim throwing. They definitely took a turn towards a more news oriented approach. I think it’s fair to say they used to sound like what liberals thought a Fox would sound like if it was liberal, and Schultz and Sharpton were indicative of that, but now they seem to be more in competition with CNN. The guests are better than they used to be, there’s an emphasis on sourcing, and they seem to leverage their own reporting sources much better. The one thing they don’t seem to do is take efforts to bring pro-Trump POVs on to balance, but when you look at CNN with their hacks speaking under NDA’s which are not revealed, you could argue that’s a good thing. 

Hell CNN gave Matt Whittaker his platform and I’d really like to hear an explanation of how that happened.

Msnbc also changed its tack, not politically but journalistically. They used to have this Air America vibe to it, even Maddow was more table pounding, claim throwing. They definitely took a turn towards a more news oriented approach. I think it’s fair to say they used to sound like what liberals thought a Fox would sound like if it was liberal, and Schultz and Sharpton were indicative of that, but now they seem to be more in competition with CNN. The guests are better than they used to be, there’s an emphasis on sourcing, and they seem to leverage their own reporting sources much better. The one thing they don’t seem to do is take efforts to bring pro-Trump POVs on to balance, but when you look at CNN with their hacks speaking under NDA’s which are not revealed, you could argue that’s a good thing. 

Hell CNN gave Matt Whittaker his platform and I’d really like to hear an explanation of how that happened.
Nonsense. I have followed Maddow since her Air America days and she has never been table pounding, she has kept the same even tone in her delivery that I saw in those early days.

Keith Olbermann was a bit over the top and histrionic but the other anchors at the time didn't follow his lead, as I guess only Olbermann can be Olbermann.

Nonsense. I have followed Maddow since her Air America days and she has never been table pounding, she has kept the same even tone in her delivery that I saw in those early days.

Keith Olbermann was a bit over the top and histrionic but the other anchors at the time didn't follow his lead, as I guess only Olbermann can be Olbermann.
Fair point but Olberman was way over the top not a bit. 

I think this is the first time ever that Ari Melber has beaten the Fox competition:

TheBeat w/Ari Melber‏ @TheBeatWithAri 5m5 minutes ago

On Friday night, the biggest news night in Mueller probe...

- More than *2 million* people watched "The Beat" -- 3,000 more than Fox News!

- In the DEMO (25-54) "The Beat" had 42,000 more viewers than Fox News (319,000 to 277,000)

Thanks for watching !

TVNewser‏Verified account @tvnewser 4h4 hours ago

.@MSNBC was the No. 1 cable news network in prime time on Tuesday, with @maddow and @Lawrence winning their respective hours.

https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/scoreboard-tuesday-dec-11/387969 …

:yes:

MSNBC Public Relations‏ @MSNBCPR 13m13 minutes ago

THURSDAY: @MSNBC was the #1 most-watched cable network during prime (8-11pm) & full day (6am-2am) in total viewers. @MSNBC dayside (9am-5pm) was also #1 in total viewers across cable news.

.@MSNBC had 5 programs in the Top 10 across ALL cable Thursday night, including: @Maddow #1, @TheLastWord @Lawrence #2, @AllInWIthChris @ChrisLHayes #7, @Hardball @HardballChris #9 & @11thHour #10.

https://twitter.com/MSNBCPR/status/1081307846451625994 (details at link)

I think this is the first time ever that Ari Melber has beaten the Fox competition:

TheBeat w/Ari Melber‏ @TheBeatWithAri 5m5 minutes ago

On Friday night, the biggest news night in Mueller probe...

- More than *2 million* people watched "The Beat" -- 3,000 more than Fox News!

- In the DEMO (25-54) "The Beat" had 42,000 more viewers than Fox News (319,000 to 277,000)

Thanks for watching !

TVNewser‏Verified account @tvnewser 4h4 hours ago

.@MSNBC was the No. 1 cable news network in prime time on Tuesday, with @maddow and @Lawrence winning their respective hours.

https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/scoreboard-tuesday-dec-11/387969 …

squistion said:

THURSDAY: @MSNBC was the #1 most-watched cable network during prime (8-11pm) & full day (6am-2am) in total viewers. @MSNBC dayside (9am-5pm) was also #1 in total viewers across cable news.

.@MSNBC had 5 programs in the Top 10 across ALL cable Thursday night, including: @Maddow #1, @TheLastWord @Lawrence #2, @AllInWIthChris @ChrisLHayes #7, @Hardball @HardballChris #9 & @11thHour #10.

Do you have stock in MSNBC or something?

Why news channel ratings make you so happy?

Seems really weird

Seems really weird
I am happy as well.  MSNBC and CNN may have their slant but anything to drive viewers away from FOX who has an agenda not a slant (there are some credible shows on Fox - none in prime time).

So I would think viewership up means the opposition to the ridiculousness is also up.

For years we were told in this and the FFA what a complete ratings failure MSNBC was, that it had no audience and that no one watches it. That was a running joke among conservatives and Republicans here.

The fact that MSNBC has become dominant among cable news/opinion networks shows that the critics were dead wrong and not only is there an audience for progressive/liberal views, it is now more popular than Fox (despite losing some audience to CNN).

Maddow is becoming must watch TV for me.  I love how that show is done.  She doesn't have all those bags of wind #####ing back and forth with each other.

I like how its usually just her explaining wtf is going on in terms that most people can understand. 

Need more of that and less of the other crap.

Get rid of Joy Reid and msnbc can really become a powerhouse 
No need to. MSNBC is already a cable powerhouse. Can't get any better than #1.

Reid covered for Rachel Maddow when she was off a week ago and the ratings were fine. They had her be the moderator for the Pelosi Town Hall last night. MSNBC viewers still love her despite the blog scandal.

Get rid of Joy Reid and msnbc can really become a powerhouse 

Reid covered for Rachel Maddow when she was off a week ago and the ratings were fine. They had her be the moderator for the Pelosi Town Hall last night. MSNBC viewers still love her despite the blog scandal.
I turn off when Reed is on, otherwise it is my go to News channel. 

Why though?  It seems like making up outlandish fabrications to disown her own blog posts should damage her credibility a bit, shouldn’t it? I mean, ratings aside of course.  

Trump's pro-business policies, aggressive deregulation and GOP tax bill are having a direct effect on the economy. Obama regulations were choking the American economy. Trump's swift actions to undo Obama's efforts spurred the economy and encouraged businesses to create jobs.
:goodposting:

Why though?  It seems like making up outlandish fabrications to disown her own blog posts should damage her credibility a bit, shouldn’t it? I mean, ratings aside of course.  
She is probably the best host they have on IMO. Rachel is #1 show but can be tedious to watch as she never seems to have enough content for an hour show and teases out the most important segment that people tuned in for until near the bottom of the first half hour. Case in point, she had Warren on the other night live for her first live interview after announcing the exploratory committee. She starts the show on something with the Mueller Russian injury and says at 6:02 PST that Warren will be on "in a couple minutes" - she then goes back to the Russian story and that lasts until 6:21 PST and which time she says "Warren is coming up next following this commercial break" :rant:

Reid on her own weekend show and when she subbed for Rachel a couple weeks ago has tight 15 minute segments where she makes a lot of cogent points and asks the right questions of her guests, cutting to the chase and calling them on any BS (even those who are on the left).

She apologized for her tweets and the dubious blog hacking claims have been forgotten by her viewers, so that has apparently been forgiven too. I am sure she will eventually have her own weekly show again, hopefully replacing the pretentious and pompous Ali Melber.

She is probably the best host they have on IMO. Rachel is #1 show but can be tedious to listen to as she never seems to have enough content for an hour show and teases out the most important segment that people tuned in for until near the bottom of the first half hour. Case in point, she had Warren on the other night live for her first live interview after announcing the exploratory committee. She starts the show on something with the Mueller Russian injury and says at 6:02 PST that Warren will be on "in a couple minutes" - she then goes back to the Russian story and that lasts until 6:21 PST and which time she says "Warren is coming up next following this commercial break" :rant:

Reid on her own weekend show and when she subbed for Rachel a couple weeks ago has tight 15 minute segments where she makes a lot of cogent points and asks the right questions of her guests, cutting to the chase and calling them on any BS (even those who are on the left).

She apologized for her tweets and the dubious blog hacking claims have been forgotten by her viewers, so that has apparently been forgiven too. I am sure she will eventually have her own weekly show again, hopefully replacing the pretentious and pompous Ali Melber.
I guess I’m just surprised to see the ratings weighted so heavily.  All it really says is that the network is making money. It says nothing about the quality of journalism it is broadcasting.  There have been lots of instances where FOX NEWS is the #1 broadcast; it’s not a very good metric for quality content.  It just means it’s selling.  

Besides RMS I also enjoy Chris Hayes All In. A few months ago he started a podcast called Why is this Happening? It's a little less manic than the breathless "breaking news this just in" schtick they all employ. I like long format news (NPR used to be awesome at this, but I listen to Morning Edition/All Things Considered et al far less now than when I was younger due to scheduling/time constraints.) Good sample in the link below.

http://podcastfeeds.nbcnews.com/drone/api/query/audio/podcast/1.0/why-is-this-happening.xml

Why do you live where you live? Not just the state or the city but the block you walk down and the door you walk through every day. Having a space to call home is packaged as part of the ‘American Dream’ and it has become a full on real estate obsession. If you're like Chris Hayes, you might find yourself binge watching HGTV or scanning house listings in cities you have no plans of living in. But our ability to partake in that dream is far from equal thanks to housing policies that have disenfranchised generations. Despite these forces directly ruling over where we are able to live, talking about housing policy can make the eyes glaze over. Luckily, Giorgio Angelini managed to weave together the intricate history of housing discrimination from New Jersey to California in his visually stunning new documentary, "Owned: A Tale of Two Americas". 

ren hoek said:
I guess I’m just surprised to see the ratings weighted so heavily.  All it really says is that the network is making money. It says nothing about the quality of journalism it is broadcasting.  There have been lots of instances where FOX NEWS is the #1 broadcast; it’s not a very good metric for quality content.  It just means it’s selling.  
Fox News was #1 because it is literally the only game in town for conservatives or Republicans to tell them what they want to hear.

It is amusing to me that for years we were told by the right on this forum (and in the FFA before that) that MSNBC's ratings were low, nobody watched the network because it was poor quality journalism and their reporters were hacks. Now that is #1 in cable, the goal posts have been moved to "High ratings just means MSNBC is making money, not that they are doing quality journalism."

And Maddow is doing high quality journalism, her reporting is meticulously researched and sourced - she  rarely has to correct anything after the fact. Also she won an Emmy last year (or was it 2017) for her Flint water crisis reporting (she was one of the first if not the first national reporters/journalists who covered it).

Squis..how did you miss this?

MSNBC and CNN’s ratings have not recovered from a massive drop after special counsel Robert Mueller concluded his investigation into Russia collusion. CNN delivered its second-lowest rated week of the year in total day and primetime between April 1 to April 7, according to Nielsen Media Research, while MSNBC had its second-lowest rated week of the year.

PRIMETIME RATINGS: 

1.     FNC (2,339,000)

2.     MSNBC (1,642,000)

3.     HOME AND GARDEN TV (1,223,000)

4.     USA NETWORK (1,153,000)

5.     TBS NETWORK (1,033,000)

TOTAL DAY RATINGS: 

1.     FNC (1,345,000)

2.     MSNBC (890,000)

3.     HOME AND GARDEN TV (715,000)

4.     NICKELODEON (702,000)

5.     INVESTIGATION DISCOVERY (698,000)

CNN finished 15th in primetime and 8th in total day, falling to Home and Garden TV (HGTV) and Nickelodeon.

Rachel Maddow’s Ratings Plummet:

MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow was particularly damaged by the finding of no collusion as the majority of her broadcasts focused on the conspiracy. In the span of just one week, Maddow dropped half a million viewers after the conclusion of the Mueller probe. According to last week’s Nielsen numbers, her show is down 17 percent from the most recent March and a whopping 34 percent from last April.

Fox News has continued to dominate the cable news ratings battle, finishing first in both categories with an average of 2.34 million primetime viewers and 1.35 million total day viewers.

Where have all the ratings updates gone?   Here is the latest....

CNN Ratings Continue To Plummet To All-Year LowApril 16th, 2019

CNN had its lowest primetime weekly ratings overall and in the key age demographic last week, according to Nielsen Media Research.

From April 8-12, the network only averaged an audience of 690,000 people and 180,000 in the key 25-54 age demographic. Their coverage last week included three presidential town halls with New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, Washington Gov. Jay Inslee and Former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julián Castro. (Every CNN Presidential Town Hall Finished Behind MSNBC And Fox News In Ratings)

Gillibrand’s town hall only had 507,000 viewers, compared to Inslee’s 549,000 and Castro’s 654,000.

Comparatively, last week, MSNBC’s prime time lineup averaged 1,600,000 viewers with 249,000 in the key demo. Fox News managed to beat CNN and MSNBC combined, with a total viewership of 2,438,000 and 394,000 in the age range.

Users who are viewing this thread