What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Late Round Rookie Prospects (1 Viewer)

For everyone is Superflex/2QBs, is Chad Kelly being taken much? Seems like he has a bit of potential and there isn't and super stars in front of him on the depth chart. 
My drafts haven't happened yet, but personally I have Kelly as unranked among my 40 ranked (10 team league).  He's on my watch list otherwise and maybe I'll pick him up as a free agent, but I can't imagine someone drafting him unless we hear news of a Siemian or Lynch injury.  

My drafts haven't happened yet, but personally I have Kelly as unranked among my 40 ranked (10 team league).  He's on my watch list otherwise and maybe I'll pick him up as a free agent, but I can't imagine someone drafting him unless we hear news of a Siemian or Lynch injury.
Kelly has stupid hype right now. It's fashionable on dynasty podcasts or wherever to say he "might be the best QB in this class" when it's all said and done - an easy thing to say, you won't get proven wrong or right for a few years. If you are right, you can pat yourself on the back and say "he was my guy" or "I liked him coming out" and if you are wrong it was just a long shot and no one will remember. Most of it is just people repeating what they heard somewhere else, from Waldman maybe. I wonder how many of those people claiming he's a sleeper have actually watched him play.

Too often people think they are smarter than NFL teams with picks like this - he was drafted with the last pick in the draft for a reason and there's a very small chance he will ever do anything of note in the NFL. Just seems like a roster clogger to me, even in 2QB leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kelly has stupid hype right now. It's fashionable on dynasty podcasts or wherever to say he "might be the best QB in this class" when it's all said and done - an easy thing to say, you won't get proven wrong or right for a few years. If you are right, you can pat yourself on the back and say "he was my guy" or "I liked him coming out" and if you are wrong it was just a long shot and no one will remember. Most of it is just people repeating what they heard somewhere else, from Waldman maybe. I wonder how many of those people claiming he's a sleeper have actually watched him play.

Too often people think they are smarter than NFL teams with picks like this - he was drafted with the last pick in the draft for a reason and there's a very small chance he will ever do anything of note in the NFL. Just seems like a roster clogger to me, even in 2QB leagues.

Well, Kelly outplayed Watson in 2015, and Watson was better in 2015 than he was in 2016.  Kelly stepped on his own **** both on the field and off last year.  If Elway can get his head on straight he has enough game to be a quality starter in the NFL.

Yes, I've seen him play enough that he sure passes the eye test when he's playing within himself.

ETA - I have no idea what Waldman said about him.  I don't subscribe to him.  And NFL brain trusts let one of the best QBs in NFL history slip until the 6th round before NE finally drafted him.

Well, Kelly outplayed Watson in 2015, and Watson was better in 2015 than he was in 2016.  Kelly stepped on his own **** both on the field and off last year.  If Elway can get his head on straight he has enough game to be a quality starter in the NFL.

Yes, I've seen him play enough that he sure passes the eye test when he's playing within himself.

ETA - I have no idea what Waldman said about him.  I don't subscribe to him.  And NFL brain trusts let one of the best QBs in NFL history slip until the 6th round before NE finally drafted him.
I wasn't talking about you specifically - apologies if it came across that way.

I'm not saying it's wrong to like Kelly or to think he might have a future in the NFL (even if I don't agree) - I was just reacting to the lazy 'analysis' that tends to happen in dynasty content in particular - not just in relation to Kelly, but I think he's a good example of many people just following the herd with a 'hot take' on the Broncos QB situation. Just my opinion of course.

I think a lot of people have seen Chad Kelly if they spent much time watching Evan Engram or Laquan Treadwell. Funny thing for me is I didn't even really pay attention to who the QB was throwing to these guys. There certainly were some good throws at times, but it wasn't enough to make me ask who is this guy I guess.  :shrug:

He certainly had some nice weapons to work with, I just can't really say I have watched cuts ups where I was focusing on Chad Kellys play specifically. Didn't even realize Chad Kelly was the QB throwing to these guys until recently.

Related to Jim Kelly is an interesting bit of trivia and the bloodlines mean something in the NFLs cronyism. The QB situation in Denver isn't really settled, so decent chance he gets a shot at some point if the other two QB they have are not good. I guess you would start there, is Chad Kelly a better QB than Paxton Lynch or Trever Simien?

I suppose I will have to watch him now. I don't consider myself that good at evaluating QB play. The NFL is pretty bad at it too. I think it is pretty hard. Hats off to the guys who do have a good understanding of QB play. I think Eric Stoner and Cian Fahey have done some nice work evaluating QBs that I have been able to learn a bit from. I know some things about it from watching football all these years, but stuff like footwork, arm placement, throwing motion mechanics, I don't really know how to evaluate details like that.

I did learn some things from watching the 2014 QB class (when my favorite team was in the hunt for a QB and I had more motivation to watch QBs). I know I value traits like accuracy, touch and ball placement. That is more what I am looking for. Also pocket presence, which is a combination of traits that are pretty important. A QB needs to be fearless and have a sixth sense for the blind side pass rush. They need to be comfortable navigating in chaos and understanding where they can go if they need to. I don't value arm strength that much. It does provide some advantages on throws like the out route and also fitting the ball in tight windows. Still more important to be accurate than to be able to put heat on the throws. Some QB throw too hard and never seem to develop good touch on the ball.

For everyone is Superflex/2QBs, is Chad Kelly being taken much? Seems like he has a bit of potential and there isn't and super stars in front of him on the depth chart. 

He has been drafted in every one of my 1 QB leagues.  Early. 

12 man - 89, QB6
16 man - 56, QB5
16 man - 67, QB5
16 man - 102, QB7

edit:  All are full IDP leagues so 4.11 is a quality pick to spend on the guy.

I wasn't talking about you specifically - apologies if it came across that way.

I'm not saying it's wrong to like Kelly or to think he might have a future in the NFL (even if I don't agree) - I was just reacting to the lazy 'analysis' that tends to happen in dynasty content in particular - not just in relation to Kelly, but I think he's a good example of many people just following the herd with a 'hot take' on the Broncos QB situation. Just my opinion of course.

I didn't take it personally.  Thanks for the explanation.

I tend to shy away from trying to evaluate QB's myself and generally am lower than consensus on most of them unless they really catch my eye (I chalk this up to my leagues being 10 team so QB value is slightly lower than most 2QB leagues).  But even in 2QB leagues (although 10 teams), I only have 3 QB's ranked in my top40.  One of which is in the top10.  That being said this year is a horrible year for QB's and if you give it 5 years, I tend to believe 1 name from 2017 is going to be a lasting one in the NFL.  Who that name is I have my guess, but my guess is as good as a chimp.  

Kelly strikes me as comparable to the Cardale Jones situation, who went in the 4th round of 3 of my dynasty leagues last year.  Upside?  Sure there's plenty of and I understand the flier, because most of their issues stem from maturity and "buying in".  

Devante Mays is my guy this year. Think he can push Williams and Jones for the primary backup spot in GB if he's healthy.

I do like Williams a bit as well, but he's a lot more expensive in rookie drafts whereas Mays is free.

Devante Mays is my guy this year. Think he can push Williams and Jones for the primary backup spot in GB if he's healthy.

I do like Williams a bit as well, but he's a lot more expensive in rookie drafts whereas Mays is free.
Same here.  Grabbed Mays late in every draft.  He's a lot more athletic than given credit for, and is arguably the greatest bruiser in this draft class.  I'm very anxious to see him in preseason games.  

Just picked up Mack Hollins at 7.13 in a 14 team full IDP draft.

This is the kind of kid I love getting late in drafts.  All the physical tools and a great attitude (ST captain and played on all 4 kick teams) but very unpolished.  He's in a great spot in Philly being able to learn how to run the full route tree and put polish on his game while learning from Jeffery and Torrey Smith, and after those 2 there's not much else there to challenge him at WR.  Jeffery is on a 1 year deal and Smith has a 3 year prove-it deal, so there is no long term committment to either by PHI.  Solid young QB to work with for the next few years.

He may end up being a NFL WR3 or career STer, but he could end up being a legit starting outside WR.  If he does, his upside is massive given his size, athletic ability, and mentality.

Mack Hollins - WR -  Eagles

Adam Caplan reports the Eagles are "high" on fourth-round WR Mack Hollins.

Caplan added Philly's confidence in Hollins, as well as second-year UDFA Marcus Johnson, allowed them to cut Dorial Green-Beckham. Hollins is unlikely to make an impact this year behind Alshon Jeffery, Jordan Matthews, and Torrey Smith, but both Jeffery and Matthews are scheduled to be free agents after the season while Smith is on a year-to-year deal. If he proves himself this year, Hollins could find himself in a much bigger role as a sophomore. He is a good flier in rookie drafts.

Just picked up Mack Hollins at 7.13 in a 14 team full IDP draft.

This is the kind of kid I love getting late in drafts.  All the physical tools and a great attitude (ST captain and played on all 4 kick teams) but very unpolished.  He's in a great spot in Philly being able to learn how to run the full route tree and put polish on his game while learning from Jeffery and Torrey Smith, and after those 2 there's not much else there to challenge him at WR.  Jeffery is on a 1 year deal and Smith has a 3 year prove-it deal, so there is no long term committment to either by PHI.  Solid young QB to work with for the next few years.

He may end up being a NFL WR3 or career STer, but he could end up being a legit starting outside WR.  If he does, his upside is massive given his size, athletic ability, and mentality.

Nice stiff arm for the TD

Glad it was in preseason againt GB.

Users who are viewing this thread