What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

As-tu été à Montréal? (1 Viewer)

WampusCat43

Footballguy
The missus and I are heading to Montreal this weekend for the first time (4 nights).  Looking for any recommendations, things to avoid, people to do, things to see, etc.  Already got the bike tour and a day trip to Quebec City on the schedule.  Tam Tams?  Reubens?  Hoping some of the menu prices I'm seeing are in Canadian dollars :cheapskate:

The missus and I are heading to Montreal this weekend for the first time (4 nights).  Looking for any recommendations, things to avoid, people to do, things to see, etc.  Already got the bike tour and a day trip to Quebec City on the schedule.  Tam Tams?  Reubens?  Hoping some of the menu prices I'm seeing are in Canadian dollars :cheapskate:
there is a thread on this already in here.

fantastic city. yes, everything is in canadian dollars... it is Canada. 

joe beef, au pied de cochon and garde de manger.

book your dinners there for 3 nights, and thank me later. and visit dieu du ciel, brasserie. best beer on eatrh, perhaps 

book your dinners there for 3 nights, and thank me later. and visit dieu du ciel, brasserie. best beer on eatrh, perhaps 
Merci.  I thought there was a thread here, but God knows Search won't find it for me.  

I've been wanting to go here for years, and it looks like the weather's going to be ideal.

There are other places to go for MTL smoked meat besides Schwartz's. Going there is an experience, so I still recommend it but if lines are long, Pete's and The Main are much better tasting/juicier and Reuben's is a viable alternative with a similar atmosphere/feel and IMO better meat than Schwartz's.

I'm in Montreal again for a week (for work) in mid-June. Can't wait.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ooh au pied de cochon and Dieu du ciel are also a block away in each direction!

I see a lot of the high points have been hit in here, but I'll just throw in that I really enjoyed a walking tour of Old Montreal, if you're into the "walking tours of old historical buildings and architecture sights" thing.  My wife had found a guide online, there were maybe 8-10 people total on the tour over the course of a few hours one morning before lunch.  Pretty neat stuff.

Had a life-altering amazing burger there at La Paryse, but I think they're closed.  Haven't been to Montreal in probably like 7 years now, need to get back out there.

:thumbup:

Walk up Mont Royal, for a pretty nice view of the city... and to work up an appetite for Au Pied de Cochon.

Going next weekend for the bachelor party! Reservations made for Au Pied De Cochon and also booked a cabana at Beachclub. Those are the only made plans so far.

nice! you guys going to hit a spa* and do some fine dining*?

BOOBS!
Really not sure if that's in my brother's plans. I'm sure someone will mention it. Quite honestly I'm not a strip club guy. Just not worth the $$ IMO. Id rather gawk at the girls at Beachclub without tipping them.

Really not sure if that's in my brother's plans. I'm sure someone will mention it. Quite honestly I'm not a strip club guy. Just not worth the $$ IMO. Id rather gawk at the girls at Beachclub without tipping them.
I'm not a strip club guy myself.

But the "bang" for the buck you get with them 18 year old French canadiens?

Ooh la la!

Some suggestions - mind you it's been a few years, but most of these places should still be solid, and somehow the one club I'll recommend still gets rave reviews, so I'll list it even though usually clubs have a shorter lifespan:

DUNN'S - It's a deli/diner with a few locations and some of the best montreal smoked meat you'll find.  It's very similar to pastrami, and dare I say I prefer it to any deli in NY :shame: Awesome late night after / during drinking spot.

Muzique- A club with two rooms / dance floors.  Was awesome when I went, my friends recently went back and said it's still hopping. Had like a Hip Hop room and an EDM room, though that may depend on the night.  Mad talent (long story short, but got permission from Mrs. Koya to motorboat this freakin slammin hot chick there, after I complained since they motorboated each other, then a full on make out session... one of those places). Think it's just up St. Laurent from you.

Joe Beef - Sounds as if you may be set for the "big dinner" - but this is a pretty awesome steakhouse that should serve the bill, if needed

Qing Hua - Kinda random, and may be out of the way as it';s in Ville Marie (close to Crescent and the Mont, but may not be close to you).  It's a plain, almost but not quite dive looking place that, honestly, serves the best TRULY authentic Chinese Food i've ever had.  Totally random, totally worth it. Great hangover food.

Shady, you may know this, but some of the basics:

Old Montreal is beautiful, historic, quaint - you feel as if you are in an old midevil French city. The restaurants play off that, you have your touristy boutiques and some great arts and museums... plus a pretty cool public square at the northern edge that is like a grand blvd in Paris with bistro type dining on both sides and a feet active public space.

Rue St Laurent runs north from there and has traditionally been one of the centres of activity with a bunch of restaurants clubs a lounges. Bit upscale, mix of students (when in session) and the beautiful people. But the right kind of ugly counts as beauty in Montreal so you should be fine :boxing:  

Take that north and maybe a little east of there are some old school true neighbourhoods. Trying to find the name of a place where I had one of my greatest dishes (Rabbit two ways), in a modern but still feeling of country french restaurant. Too small and not appropriate for a Bach party though. 

Rue Crescent is to your east and a major Center of clubs and bars... double edged sword as this is where you find your 18/19 and older clubs. Expect a bunch of drunk young American s... um new rules... sultry and wanting girls and women acting as such. There are a couple decent bars/lounges there also with patios And some decent Irish pubs as well. This bleeds into the neighbouring streets Rue Peel, Rue Stanley etc

St Catherine is the major binding agent and connective issues that runs east west from old Montreal and St Laurent to Crescent and that area. Tons of shopping from boutiques to a high end urban mall and everything in between.

Shady, you may know this, but some of the basics:

Old Montreal is beautiful, historic, quaint - you feel as if you are in an old midevil French city. The restaurants play off that, you have your touristy boutiques and some great arts and museums... plus a pretty cool public square at the northern edge that is like a grand blvd in Paris with bistro type dining on both sides and a feet active public space.

Rue St Laurent runs north from there and has traditionally been one of the centres of activity with a bunch of restaurants clubs a lounges. Bit upscale, mix of students (when in session) and the beautiful people. But the right kind of ugly counts as beauty in Montreal so you should be fine :boxing:  

Take that north and maybe a little east of there are some old school true neighbourhoods. Trying to find the name of a place where I had one of my greatest dishes (Rabbit two ways), in a modern but still feeling of country french restaurant. Too small and not appropriate for a Bach party though. 

Rue Crescent is to your east and a major Center of clubs and bars... double edged sword as this is where you find your 18/19 and older clubs. Expect a bunch of drunk young American s... um new rules... sultry and wanting girls and women acting as such. There are a couple decent bars/lounges there also with patios And some decent Irish pubs as well. This bleeds into the neighbouring streets Rue Peel, Rue Stanley etc

St Catherine is the major binding agent and connective issues that runs east west from old Montreal and St Laurent to Crescent and that area. Tons of shopping from boutiques to a high end urban mall and everything in between.
No I don't. I'm going in a bit blind because although I am a planner, my brother is not and wants to play everything by ear and he's the bachelor so I do things his way. The bold is where we are staying.

I am there Fri-Sun. I'm driving early Fri morning so should get there around 2-3. Friday night is our big dinner. Saturday is the beach club. Saturday night who knows. And then we leave Sunday (trying to get late check out). Hopefully I can walk around on Sunday before leaving. I feel like there's not enough time :(

No I don't. I'm going in a bit blind because although I am a planner, my brother is not and wants to play everything by ear and he's the bachelor so I do things his way. The bold is where we are staying.

I am there Fri-Sun. I'm driving early Fri morning so should get there around 2-3. Friday night is our big dinner. Saturday is the beach club. Saturday night who knows. And then we leave Sunday (trying to get late check out). Hopefully I can walk around on Sunday before leaving. I feel like there's not enough time :(
It's a perfect city to appease both your desires. 

waking up and down crescent or st Laurent will provide plenty of options to yelp as you go or walk into a place or whatever. Plan on hitting an "area" look up a couple spots that you might want to hit then play it by ear from there. 

Maybe Friday night dinner and then hit crescent, Mack on some 18 year olds :homer:  and you can even split as a crew some doing cheesy club others doing bar/pub.

saturday maybe rest after beach and hit a bit more upscale spots or plan to hit a club closer to your home base on St Laurent.

If anyone wants a massage... this place is awesome! Not a "happy-ending" place though, sorry.

Two questions about Canada itself (Ive never been). My buddy who has said its better to take out money at ATM in Canada for best exchange rate. Also, buy the alcohol at duty free shop at border because its much more expensive in Canada. Are both those true?

Any advice for visitors with young kids (3 and 6)? Trying to plan a week long road trip from WNY. We’d like to visit Quebec City as well. TIA.

Any advice for visitors with young kids (3 and 6)? Trying to plan a week long road trip from WNY. We’d like to visit Quebec City as well. TIA.
Plenty to do for kids, but since I dont have any, I wouldnt know what. 

Biodome/science centre/planetarium is cool for everyone... Climb to the top of Mont Royal...

Quebec City is beautiful, but no idea what to do w kids there.

Montreal is basically... If New York was somewhere in Europe, without the filth. Best way to describe it. You're going to a big city. 

Quick question first...

Will you be able to leave your kids with the parents, or is the other option a babysitter.

:whistle:  

Plenty to do for kids, but since I dont have any, I wouldnt know what. 

Biodome/science centre/planetarium is cool for everyone... Climb to the top of Mont Royal...

Quebec City is beautiful, but no idea what to do w kids there.

Montreal is basically... If New York was somewhere in Europe, without the filth. Best way to describe it. You're going to a big city. 
 Less filth but somehow even ruder people than new Yorkers

Less filth but somehow even ruder people than new Yorkers
I hear this a LOT, but have never experienced it.

Speak english almost exclusively unless I get a vibe of "speak french"... Maybe that's why?

I dunno. 95% of mtl is english speaking

Users who are viewing this thread