What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Munich/Paris/Amsterdam... tips/thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Evilgrin 72

Distributor of Pain
Taking the wife to Europe in September. I've talked about the possibility of this trip here in the past and got some good tips/advice, but since the search function bites, I can't even find that. Tentative plans :

Germany - taking one day at the top (Saturday) when the Fest is likely to be overcrowded and going away from the flow of traffic to Neuschwanstein castle and then up to Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Anyone done Neuschwanstein before? I'm reading more than one person saying the guided tour is a waste of time and that you're better off just parking, walking up to the bridge and taking pictures of the castle and then getting the F out of Dodge. We're going to do the Night Watchman tour in Rothenburg and likely retire early. Day 2, driving back to Munich and ditching the rental car, got a hotel right next to the Viktualienmarkt downtown, so should be walking distance to pretty much everything. I'm guessing the night of Day 2 and most/all of day 3 will be spent that the Theresienweise, so I doubt there's going to be a ton of time to sightsee in Munich. Probably just walk the Marienplatz, see the glockenspiel, maybe pop in at Hofbrauhaus for a mass just to say I've done it (and to see how close the Vegas location is to the original.) Plan to check out the Viktualienmarkt for lunch before flying to Paris on Day 4.

Paris - Rented an apartment on AirBNB in the 1er arrondisement just a few blocks from the Louvre and Notre Dame. First night we're there, I was thinking about booking a Seine river cruise to get oriented and see some of the landmarks from afar at night. We'll have two full days/nights there afterward which I know isn't nearly enough time to see Paris, but it is what it is. I was thinking of spending day 5 heading to the Arc du Triomphe and then winding back through the 8th/7th/6th to check out the Eiffel Tower, Hotel des Invalides, St. Germain, Luxembourg Gardens. Louvre is open until 9:30 that evening, so I was thinking about getting tickets and going in late afternoon when the crowds supposedly die way down. 3-4 hours isn't much time, but I'm not a huge art guy and I figure I can at least see the highlights and zip past some other stuff. Short walk back to the apartment from there. Day 6, I figured I'd go the other way and visit Pere Lachaise cemetary and then check out the 3e, 4e, and 5e - wander through Le Marais, Quartier Latin, Notre Dame, the Iles, etc.

Probably not going to be into the whole 4 star dining experience, planning to stick to the occasional bistro, croque madame, some baguettes and Bordier butter on a park bench, crepes, maybe a steak frites. Casual classics. With that in mind, any recos are welcome.

Amsterdam - rented an apartment just a block off the Rembrandtsplein, so we have a great location. I've been before, so I'm leaving most of the sightseeing/planning up to the wife. Rijksmuseum, Anne Frank House, Vondelpark are all possibilities, but I suspect much of our time will be spent in the coffeehouses. Plan to get a rijstaffel one night and I imagine Febo will creep into the picture, along with some vlaamse frites, but other than that, I don't think there's much of culinary note in Amsterdam, am I wrong? I've always had good meals there, just never really went after traditional Dutch cooking. Pannekoeken is a given, of course.

Also, as a side note, I have a 6 hour layover on the way home in Copenhagen so I was planning on jumping the local train down to Kongens Nytorv for a walk around and maybe a smorrebrod lunch or something. Anyone familiar with the city feel free to chime in.

Just looking for any tips/hints/recommendations for something that may be a must see or must have that I might not have read about. Thanks.

Just got back from Paris w/ the gf. We went for the full on dining experience. Let me look up the food blogger that we used for all of our meals. He definitely did not steer us wrong.

Just got back from Paris w/ the gf. We went for the full on dining experience. Let me look up the food blogger that we used for all of our meals. He definitely did not steer us wrong.
I'm happy to read it, thanks. With the limited time we have, I'm not anticipating a 4-course 3 1/2 hour dining experience being in the plans, I'm looking for quick, tasty, and quintessential more than anything.

I'm happy to read it, thanks. With the limited time we have, I'm not anticipating a 4-course 3 1/2 hour dining experience being in the plans, I'm looking for quick, tasty, and quintessential more than anything.
He reviews all of the above. Although, I highly recommend making time for one great meal.

Anyone done Neuschwanstein before? I'm reading more than one person saying the guided tour is a waste of time and that you're better off just parking, walking up to the bridge and taking pictures of the castle and then getting the F out of Dodge. .
I went to Neuschwanstein a few years ago when we were there for Oktoberfest. It was pretty cool. We did the guided tour. The tour was interesting, but you do have limited time to do other things if you take the tour. There are several other tours on the grounds, but we ONLY did the main castle one. I liked the tour, just because I wanted to go inside. Truthfully, much of the inside wasn't finished, so you only saw select parts, but those parts were neat. I made a point to go to the bathroom so I could say I took a #### there though.

The views from outside are cool. We never made it up to the bridge, but there's another overlook closer by that has some good vantages too. The walk up is killer. Beware of the horse and buggy carts. They don't stop for anyone and will run you right off the road.

Anyone done Neuschwanstein before? I'm reading more than one person saying the guided tour is a waste of time and that you're better off just parking, walking up to the bridge and taking pictures of the castle and then getting the F out of Dodge. .
I went to Neuschwanstein a few years ago when we were there for Oktoberfest. It was pretty cool. We did the guided tour. The tour was interesting, but you do have limited time to do other things if you take the tour. There are several other tours on the grounds, but we ONLY did the main castle one. I liked the tour, just because I wanted to go inside. Truthfully, much of the inside wasn't finished, so you only saw select parts, but those parts were neat. I made a point to go to the bathroom so I could say I took a #### there though.

The views from outside are cool. We never made it up to the bridge, but there's another overlook closer by that has some good vantages too. The walk up is killer. Beware of the horse and buggy carts. They don't stop for anyone and will run you right off the road.
Right now, we plan to pick up our rental car at the airport sometime between 10-12 and drive out there. I was thinking of just taking an hour or two to hike around and take photos, then get out and make the 2 hr drive up to Rothenburg. I want to try to get to Rothenburg as the tour busses leave, maybe just check into the B&B, take a quick bike ride around, have dinner in a biergarten and do the Nightwatchman tour at 8. I was afraid doing the Neuschwanstein tour might be too time consuming and I've read a lot of blogs talking about it being somewhat anticlimactic due to it being unfinished.

:blackdot: for when I'm not at work... I have spent considerable time/lived in all of the cities on your itinerary...

it sounds like you have similar focus/interests to myself, so I'll dig up some old emails I have sent to people asking similar questions in the past (some are probably posted on this board, but search function sucks)

:blackdot: for when I'm not at work... I have spent considerable time/lived in all of the cities on your itinerary...

it sounds like you have similar focus/interests to myself, so I'll dig up some old emails I have sent to people asking similar questions in the past (some are probably posted on this board, but search function sucks)
That would be the ( o Y o ) - thanks, man.

Never did the tour but always a destination for me (brewery). http://www.andechs.de/en/
I read all about this and would love to go there, but I don't think time will permit it. I'm only going to have about 48 hrs in Munich proper and the Fest is going to take up much of that time, so day trips by train are probably out of the question.

This is more than you need for a quick visit, but it does have some links to good smorrebrod places:

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/681538-copenhagen-what-to-do-there/#entry15564822

Never did the tour but always a destination for me (brewery). http://www.andechs.de/en/
I read all about this and would love to go there, but I don't think time will permit it. I'm only going to have about 48 hrs in Munich proper and the Fest is going to take up much of that time, so day trips by train are probably out of the question.
Fortunately, if you're wanting to try their beer (the dopplebock is great) they have a beer garden around Marienplatz. Or you could go really cheap and buy some in bottles in the underground shops. Make sure to ask for a bag before paying at the shop. ;) And since they were warm and I had no fridge I had to sit them outside my window to chill. So good!

This is more than you need for a quick visit, but it does have some links to good smorrebrod places:

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/681538-copenhagen-what-to-do-there/#entry15564822
Sweet, thanks man. I've heard good things about Told og Snaps and Nyhavns Faergekro - ever been?

Fortunately, if you're wanting to try their beer (the dopplebock is great) they have a beer garden around Marienplatz. Or you could go really cheap and buy some in bottles in the underground shops. Make sure to ask for a bag before paying at the shop. ;) And since they were warm and I had no fridge I had to sit them outside my window to chill. So good!
Niiiiiiice. :addedtolist:

Sweet, thanks man. I've heard good things about Told og Snaps and Nyhavns Faergekro - ever been?
Yes and yes, and they are good. I would still go back to the classic places mentioned in the linked post if I base it on the food alone. They've been around for a long time, for a reason. That said, both of your's are in Nyhavn, which is a plus in itself if the weather is nice even more so.

If you like herring, Nyhavns Faergekro has a great lunch buffet.

Evilgrin 72 said:
Fat Nick said:
Evilgrin 72 said:

Right now, we plan to pick up our rental car at the airport sometime between 10-12 and drive out there. I was thinking of just taking an hour or two to hike around and take photos, then get out and make the 2 hr drive up to Rothenburg. I want to try to get to Rothenburg as the tour busses leave, maybe just check into the B&B, take a quick bike ride around, have dinner in a biergarten and do the Nightwatchman tour at 8. I was afraid doing the Neuschwanstein tour might be too time consuming and I've read a lot of blogs talking about it being somewhat anticlimactic due to it being unfinished.
I guess it just depends on what you're expecting. The outside of the castle and the setting is the highlight, but I didn't mind the tour.

The busses that get you up there (we took the train from Munich) were a pain. LONG lines to get back to the train station. Not sure if you avoid that by driving or not.

Yes and yes, and they are good. I would still go back to the classic places mentioned in the linked post if I base it on the food alone. They've been around for a long time, for a reason. That said, both of your's are in Nyhavn, which is a plus in itself if the weather is nice even more so.

Yeah, my time there is limited, just a 5h 35m layover. Luckily the train into town is apparently fast, frequent, and relatively inexpensive. I lay over a few hours in Oslo on the way into Europe and for 2 people to take the train to town and back from the airport is around $100 USD. F that noise. I paid extra for Fast Pass check in for my flight from Copenhagen to Orlando but even with that, customs and passport control is going to warrant my being back at the airport a couple hours before my flight, so it only gives me roughly 3 1/2 hours to de-plane from Amsterdam, find luggage storage and stash my bags, get to the train, travel into town, have lunch and walk around, and get back to the airport. As a result, I figured I probably only had time to see one small area of the city and everything I read pointed me to Nyhavn.

I read about the herring buffet too, but I'm not the biggest herring (or even fish) guy so while it sounds highly intriguing, I don't know if I have the stones to do it. Especially when it may be my only meal in Denmark for my entire life.

Evilgrin 72 said:
Fat Nick said:
Evilgrin 72 said:

I guess it just depends on what you're expecting. The outside of the castle and the setting is the highlight, but I didn't mind the tour.

The busses that get you up there (we took the train from Munich) were a pain. LONG lines to get back to the train station. Not sure if you avoid that by driving or not.
I'm going to look for ways to do that. From what I've read, you can park in Fussen and then you have the choice to bus up the hill, do the horse-drawn carriage, or hike.

Yeah, my time there is limited, just a 5h 35m layover. Luckily the train into town is apparently fast, frequent, and relatively inexpensive. I lay over a few hours in Oslo on the way into Europe and for 2 people to take the train to town and back from the airport is around $100 USD. F that noise. I paid extra for Fast Pass check in for my flight from Copenhagen to Orlando but even with that, customs and passport control is going to warrant my being back at the airport a couple hours before my flight, so it only gives me roughly 3 1/2 hours to de-plane from Amsterdam, find luggage storage and stash my bags, get to the train, travel into town, have lunch and walk around, and get back to the airport. As a result, I figured I probably only had time to see one small area of the city and everything I read pointed me to Nyhavn.

I read about the herring buffet too, but I'm not the biggest herring (or even fish) guy so while it sounds highly intriguing, I don't know if I have the stones to do it. Especially when it may be my only meal in Denmark for my entire life.
Yeah, with that short of a time frame I would do Nyhavn, and either of those places work well. If you aren't a big fish guy, skip the herring, and get 1 or 2 smorrebrod with some sampler snaps instead.

Yeah, with that short of a time frame I would do Nyhavn, and either of those places work well. If you aren't a big fish guy, skip the herring, and get 1 or 2 smorrebrod with some sampler snaps instead.
I was leaning towards doing exactly this. Glad to have the seal of approval from someone in the know then, a lot of my plans are based solely on second-hand, non-interactive discussion so I want to make sure I don't make any horrendous missteps. :lol:

LOL, I have had plenty to drink in Nyhavn. Tough to go wrong there...

Is there a specific reason for Neuschwanstein? You seem to be in a time crunch, and I would honestly skip it and go to Heidelberg instead...

Evilgrin 72 said:
Taking the wife to Europe in September. I've talked about the possibility of this trip here in the past and got some good tips/advice, but since the search function bites, I can't even find that. Tentative plans :

Paris - Rented an apartment on AirBNB in the 1er arrondisement just a few blocks from the Louvre and Notre Dame. First night we're there, I was thinking about booking a Seine river cruise to get oriented and see some of the landmarks from afar at night. We'll have two full days/nights there afterward which I know isn't nearly enough time to see Paris, but it is what it is. I was thinking of spending day 5 heading to the Arc du Triomphe and then winding back through the 8th/7th/6th to check out the Eiffel Tower, Hotel des Invalides, St. Germain, Luxembourg Gardens. Louvre is open until 9:30 that evening, so I was thinking about getting tickets and going in late afternoon when the crowds supposedly die way down. 3-4 hours isn't much time, but I'm not a huge art guy and I figure I can at least see the highlights and zip past some other stuff. Short walk back to the apartment from there. Day 6, I figured I'd go the other way and visit Pere Lachaise cemetary and then check out the 3e, 4e, and 5e - wander through Le Marais, Quartier Latin, Notre Dame, the Iles, etc.

Just looking for any tips/hints/recommendations for something that may be a must see or must have that I might not have read about. Thanks.
Watch Anthony Bourdain's layover special for Paris. We hit a couple of these places and it worked out great during our visit last month. You should try and get to the top of Montmarte and walk around the top where the church is (Secre-Coeur). It's the highest point in the city and offers one of the best views (and free!). Take a bottle of wine up there and hang out on the hillside. Can't recommend this enough.

edit to add:

We stayed right across the street from the Pompidou Center. This shouldn't be too far from where you are staying. Good little area for people watching and to stop for a crepe and bottle of wine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evilgrin 72 said:
Fat Nick said:
Evilgrin 72 said:

I'm going to look for ways to do that. From what I've read, you can park in Fussen and then you have the choice to bus up the hill, do the horse-drawn carriage, or hike.
We hiked...it wasn't horrible, but it was a long walk up hill. The carriage things looked cool, but not sure what they ran price wise.

Evilgrin 72 said:

Watch Anthony Bourdain's layover special for Paris. We hit a couple of these places and it worked out great during our visit last month. You should try and get to the top of Montmarte and walk around the top where the church is (Secre-Coeur). It's the highest point in the city and offers one of the best views (and free!). Take a bottle of wine up there and hang out on the hillside. Can't recommend this enough.

edit to add:

We stayed right across the street from the Pompidou Center. This shouldn't be too far from where you are staying. Good little area for people watching and to stop for a crepe and bottle of wine.
Oh and if you want to look good to your wife. Theres a company called parispicnic.com

They deliver to whichever park you choose. We did it underneath the eiffel tower with a bottle of champagne. It was worth the $70 to not have to deal with grabbing all the supplies. We just showed up at 1pm and the guy was waiting for us.

With a six hour layover you may be a little pressed for time in CPH depending on how many beers you plan to have in Nyhavn ;) .

Taking the metro to Kongens Nytorv will be about 20 mins, one leaves every 4 minutes, five minutes walk max straight ahead from the exit from customs. Yu can buy a ticket at the platform, three zones if memory serves.

From the Kongens Nytorv metro station it is a short walk to Nyhavn (cross the street to the right as you exit the stairs). Plenty of restaurants there although not too many smørrebrød places IIRC.

I used to work in the neighborhood (on the other side of Amalienborg) and the we used three smørrebrød restaurants nearby, some fifteen minutes walk from Nyhavn; Lumskebugten (on Esplanaden across from my old employer - excellent place), Cafe Peterbborg, on the corner of Bredgade and Esplanaden - bit of a local place, the waitress is a card, her schtick for the past 40 years is being rude to the customers without being over the top and there is also another place in the basement in Amaliegade 11 called Amalie, they have Nøddehorn (a dessert) to die for - and I am not a dessert guy. I believe this last one has a bib gourmand.

You could easily take a taxi to either of these restaurants from the metro and walk back to the metro through the Amalienborg and Nyhavn if the weather is nice. It's a pretty straight line, otherwise google is your friend if you are spatially challenged ;)

Remember to leave time for going through security. Not too big an issue I've never spent more than 30 mins waiting in line. So leave the restaurant no later than two hours before your flight. You can take a taxi straight from the restaurant but it will cost close to USD 50 and may not be faster depending on the time of day.

Restaurant Amalie

Lumskebugten

Cafe Petersborg

Adding the joint the Maersk people always used to hang out at for beers after work

Nyhavn 17

An alternative in Munich is to go to Dachau, which although a sobering experience is not too graphic as I recall. Mind you I have not been in almost 30 years so it may have changed.

LOL, I have had plenty to drink in Nyhavn. Tough to go wrong there...

Is there a specific reason for Neuschwanstein? You seem to be in a time crunch, and I would honestly skip it and go to Heidelberg instead...
Wife wants to see it - Heidelberg looks fantastic, but she wanted to see a castle and felt like Heidelberg and Rothenberg would be somewhat redundant. No idea if this is true or not, but I figured an hour or two at Neuschwanstein would satisfy her, she's into photography and it's certainly a good photo op.

Evilgrin 72 said:

edit to add:

1/2 mile from the Pompidou Center. I actually just watched that episode of the Layover recently, I believe - that's the one with the mime trauma and the seafood tower at le Dome, right? He got me revved up to try Pain et des Idees, which I planned to do en route to/from Pere Lachaise. Maybe I can squeeze Montmartre in there as well.

Evilgrin 72 said:
Fat Nick said:
Evilgrin 72 said:

We hiked...it wasn't horrible, but it was a long walk up hill. The carriage things looked cool, but not sure what they ran price wise.
I think I read recently that it's 6 EUR pp uphill and 4 EUR pp downhill.

Evilgrin 72 said:

edit to add:

Oh and if you want to look good to your wife. Theres a company called parispicnic.com

They deliver to whichever park you choose. We did it underneath the eiffel tower with a bottle of champagne. It was worth the $70 to not have to deal with grabbing all the supplies. We just showed up at 1pm and the guy was waiting for us.
:noted:

This is the kind of stuff you can only get in the FFA. Thanks again, brah.

With a six hour layover you may be a little pressed for time in CPH depending on how many beers you plan to have in Nyhavn ;) .

Taking the metro to Kongens Nytorv will be about 20 mins, one leaves every 4 minutes, five minutes walk max straight ahead from the exit from customs. Yu can buy a ticket at the platform, three zones if memory serves.

From the Kongens Nytorv metro station it is a short walk to Nyhavn (cross the street to the right as you exit the stairs). Plenty of restaurants there although not too many smørrebrød places IIRC.

I used to work in the neighborhood (on the other side of Amalienborg) and the we used three smørrebrød restaurants nearby, some fifteen minutes walk from Nyhavn; Lumskebugten (on Esplanaden across from my old employer - excellent place), Cafe Peterbborg, on the corner of Bredgade and Esplanaden - bit of a local place, the waitress is a card, her schtick for the past 40 years is being rude to the customers without being over the top and there is also another place in the basement in Amaliegade 11 called Amalie, they have Nøddehorn (a dessert) to die for - and I am not a dessert guy. I believe this last one has a bib gourmand.

You could easily take a taxi to either of these restaurants from the metro and walk back to the metro through the Amalienborg and Nyhavn if the weather is nice. It's a pretty straight line, otherwise google is your friend if you are spatially challenged ;)

Remember to leave time for going through security. Not too big an issue I've never spent more than 30 mins waiting in line. So leave the restaurant no later than two hours before your flight. You can take a taxi straight from the restaurant but it will cost close to USD 50 and may not be faster depending on the time of day.

Restaurant Amalie

Lumskebugten

Cafe Petersborg

Adding the joint the Maersk people always used to hang out at for beers after work

Nyhavn 17
Sensational. Copy/pasting this into my research materials. Thanks so much - local knowledge is priceless.

An alternative in Munich is to go to Dachau, which although a sobering experience is not too graphic as I recall. Mind you I have not been in almost 30 years so it may have changed.
I don't think a day trip is in the cards but I mentioned this possibility to the wife and she seemed nonplussed. Might be TOO sobering for a vacation for her. I'd like to see it myself, though.

Restaurant Amalie

Lumskebugten

Cafe Petersborg

Nyhavn 17
Sensational. Copy/pasting this into my research materials. Thanks so much - local knowledge is priceless.
Luggage storage is to the left coming out of customs. Just before 7-eleven IIRC. 8 bucks per suitcase, something like that. Only used it once so I might be off.

ETA: Hard left the second you exit the doors. That way you also avoid the greeting crowds.

Restaurant Amalie

Lumskebugten

Cafe Petersborg

Nyhavn 17
Luggage storage is to the left coming out of customs. Just before 7-eleven IIRC. 8 bucks per suitcase, something like that. Only used it once so I might be off.

ETA: Hard left the second you exit the doors. That way you also avoid the greeting crowds.
Terrific info - thanks a million !

How much would a trip like this cost?
I'm guessing once all is said and done, it'll probably run me about $7,500-$8,000 soup to nuts but that's only because I got an absolutely insane deal on airfare. Less than $700pp round trip. Yeah, having afternoon-long layovers in intermediate cities is a bit of a pain, but the difference in price was preposterous. Most major airlines were quoting me over $3,000 total just to get to Europe and back to FL; I paid under $1,700 all in for travel and that includes flying from Munich to Paris, the Thalys from Paris to Amsterdam and a flight from Amsterdam to Copenhagen to get my trans-Atlantic flight home.

The Thalys is nice. Best if you buy upgrade to first class obviously. It can be a bit of a mess at the station at CDG.at least it was when I was using the Paris- Antwerp run relatively frequently about ten years ago

Bucky86 said:
im headed to paris in a few weeks

any tips and advice

thx

Bucky86 said:
im headed to paris in a few weeks

any tips and advice

thx
I posted a link to the guys blog that we followed at the top.

We both really enjoyed his recommendations on:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187147-d2407173-Reviews-Le_Kigawa-Paris_Ile_de_France.html Do the Chefs menu.

and

http://www.lescomptoirsdumedoc.com Definitely recommend the chefs menu if you go here.

We also ate dinner here and loved it

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187147-d719235-Reviews-Le_Reminet-Paris_Ile_de_France.html

The Thalys is nice. Best if you buy upgrade to first class obviously. It can be a bit of a mess at the station at CDG.at least it was when I was using the Paris- Antwerp run relatively frequently about ten years ago
I'm flying into CDG from Munich and will have to do battle with taking the RER-B from there to Chatelet/Les Halles at rush hour with luggage, which ought to be fun. Thalys to Amsterdam runs from Gare du Nord to Amsterdam Centraal.

Users who are viewing this thread