What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Cobra Kai" -- The Karate Kid Series sequel (1 Viewer)

That house fight was brutal. Long ### brawl. One minute, these kids are crying over stuff. Next minute, it's like UFC but more brutal with broken bones and blood everywhere. 

Hawk should be the next champ!
This is what I wanted mid-S3, but BOY HOWDY did the writers not earn the face turn. They were building it so nicely and then handwaved Hawk's redemption, instead just making him seem bitter and jealous instead of wanting to change. Disappointing.

Having not read the thread and just now finishing S3, I can imagine the season finale is just a bit polarizing. Last 2 episodes should have been 4. Guess I can't really expect that much from them though when they couldn't find any direction whatsoever for one of their best characters so they just wrote her off entirely.

This is what I wanted mid-S3, but BOY HOWDY did the writers not earn the face turn. They were building it so nicely and then handwaved Hawk's redemption, instead just making him seem bitter and jealous instead of wanting to change. Disappointing.

Having not read the thread and just now finishing S3, I can imagine the season finale is just a bit polarizing. Last 2 episodes should have been 4. Guess I can't really expect that much from them though when they couldn't find any direction whatsoever for one of their best characters so they just wrote her off entirely.
I thought I was alone on that one. I feel like they're going to let Hawk fall back in the pecking order now, when he should actually be elevated to the top! 

Can’t believe it took this long as I loved KK as a young high-schooler...I didn’t realize how connected this would be, especially the old scenes. My wife and I were watching the original last weekend, and in the middle of it we decided to finally start CK. Now thru Season 1 (we have two little kids so that’s a binge for us)...totally in love with it. Looking forward to catching up.

Can’t believe it took this long as I loved KK as a young high-schooler...I didn’t realize how connected this would be, especially the old scenes. My wife and I were watching the original last weekend, and in the middle of it we decided to finally start CK. Now thru Season 1 (we have two little kids so that’s a binge for us)...totally in love with it. Looking forward to catching up.
Just gets better 

Love how Johnny kept asking about how Ali and Daniels relationship ended...and we learn than Daniel (again) jumped to a wild conclusion by assuming she was hooking up with the UCLA football player.

Macchio is older than Thomas Ian Griffith.

Macchio was dreadfully unhappy about having to do III. He felt constrained by the role, that it had cost him any serious consideration for the lead in About Last Night. But he was contractually obligated for a third installment. 

When the film began production he was twenty-seven years old, and had just gotten married. The girl in the film was eleven years younger than him (she was sixteen), which made things so awkward on screen that they re-wrote the script to have her go away halfway through the movie.

And he didn't even get to do any fighting in the final round, just some strange sideways dancing.

I know I have seen it but I must have purged Karate Kid III from my memory. I have no idea who Terry Silver is. I read the plot synopsis for the movie and none of it sounded familiar. :shrug:

Macchio was dreadfully unhappy about having to do III. He felt constrained by the role, that it had cost him any serious consideration for the lead in About Last Night. But he was contractually obligated for a third installment. 

When the film began production he was twenty-seven years old, and had just gotten married. The girl in the film was eleven years younger than him (she was sixteen), which made things so awkward on screen that they re-wrote the script to have her go away halfway through the movie.

And he didn't even get to do any fighting in the final round, just some strange sideways dancing.
Wow. Had no idea. 

III feels weird all around. Now I know why. 

I never knew she was that young.   What in gods name were they thinking casting some one that age when they knew what the script was? 

In the movie it sounds like she owns her own pottery shop so I just mistakenly assumed she was older.

In the wiki for the movie, it says the producers realized they could not do the romantic scenes they intended because of her real age and had to rewrite many of the scenes between the two. 

I know I have seen it but I must have purged Karate Kid III from my memory. I have no idea who Terry Silver is. I read the plot synopsis for the movie and none of it sounded familiar. :shrug:
It was not a great movie and he was not a great villain.  He overdid alot of his scenes and not even in a good cheesy 80's way.  My kids have seen I and II but we skipped III, guess we'll have to watch before the next season starts.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was not a great movie and he was not a great villain.  He overdid alot of his scenes and not even in a good cheesy 80's way.  My kids have seen I and II but we skipped III, guess we'll have to watch before the next season starts.
What?!?  Terry Silver was awesome as a villain. Sure, cartoonishly overdone, but still awesome. But I agree that III was just weird with the romantic/non-romantic relationship and now I know why. Never knew that. Ick. 

eeew.    

WTF were they thinking. 

They are trying way too hard to hit every single character/plot from the subpar sequels.   

IMO they got really lucky with the Chozen scenes last season and should have stopped pushing it. The season before, I thought the old Cobra Kai gang scenes were bad, and I have been liking the Kreese stuff less and less.  The show is great focusing mostly on Johnny and the core kids.  Need to stop before we get to the bowling monks. 

That said, of course I am still in for S4

They are trying way too hard to hit every single character/plot from the subpar sequels.   

IMO they got really lucky with the Chozen scenes last season and should have stopped pushing it. The season before, I thought the old Cobra Kai gang scenes were bad, and I have been liking the Kreese stuff less and less.  The show is great focusing mostly on Johnny and the core kids.  Need to stop before we get to the bowling monks. 

That said, of course I am still in for S4
Next thing you know, they’ll switch to Kung Fu and still call it karate. 

Macchio is an idiot then.  He's a terrible actor - easily the worst major actor in this series, followed closely by the daughter.   He's really lucky to have the Karate Kid franchise.   He would have been horrible in About Last Night.

What a prude.

Sad to say after joking about the Hillary Swank KK, but I try to forget the Jaden Smith version exists.   Very odd choices in that movie. 
I actually thought the Jaden Smith movie was pretty well done and consistent with the franchise. Notwithstanding the fact that there was no karate, it hit the right notes I thought. It’s not like the originals were masterpieces or anything, and there’s a difference seeing a movie for the first time as a kid versus as a 40-something. You just have to forget that Jaden ended up being completely insufferable for a long while after the film. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually thought the Jaden Smith movie was pretty well done and consistent with the franchise. Notwithstanding the fact that there was no karate, it hit the right notes I thought. It’s not like the originals were masterpieces or anything, and there’s a difference seeing a movie for the first time as a kid versus as a 40-something. You just have to forget that Jaden ended up being completely insufferable for a long while after the film. 
I think my problem with the movie was that they aged down the kids a bit more, and seemed to make the bad kid a bit too much of a ####.  just felt weird watching Jackie Chan whoop up on some 13year olds.  plus the move he used at the end to win was :lmao:

I think my problem with the movie was that they aged down the kids a bit more, and seemed to make the bad kid a bit too much of a ####.  just felt weird watching Jackie Chan whoop up on some 13year olds.  plus the move he used at the end to win was :lmao:
While Jaden was doing the Cobra hypnotism move, it would have been great to have the bad guy coach yelling “get the point!” in Chinese. 

Users who are viewing this thread