What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wanna feel old? (2 Viewers)

Fennis

Footballguy
Wanna feel old? Ralph Macchio is now the same age that Pat Morita was in the first ‘Karate Kid’
We don't mean to cause an existential crisis for any children of the '80s out there, but we felt it was worth noting that Daniel is now as old as Mr. Miyagi was upon the release of "The Karate Kid" (1984).Yeah, a tweet made today by Roadside Attractions pointed out that Ralph Macchio is 51 ... and so was Noriyuki 'Pat' Morita, once upon a time, even though his infinite wit and wisdom made him seem like he was at least a thousand years old.Ralph Macchio is the same age now as Pat Morita was when they shot The Karate Kid.— Roadside Attractions (@roadsidetweets) March 1, 2013"The Karate Kid" followed the adventures of Daniel Larusso (Macchio), the new kid in town whose brutal bullying at the hands (and feet) of tough guy Johnny Kreese (Martin Kove) puts him on the path to be trained in martial arts by the local handyman, Mr. Miyagi (Morita). Macchio was 23 at the time of the film's release, though he certainly passed just fine for a teenager (as did most young actors in '80s movies -- now, if you want a 17-year-old, you just hire a 17-year old).However, Macchio started inspiring comments like "a 'kid,' eh?" when "The Karate Kid Part II" came out just two years later in 1986, and when "The Karate Kid Part III" was released in 1989, it was time for the pushing-30 "kid" to finally leave his combative childhood behind him.Morita played the role of Mr. Miyagi one more time in "The Next Karate Kid" (1994), which featured a young Hilary Swank (actually almost 20 at the time) as his new student, Julie Pierce. It was an impressive film in that it was even worse than "The Karate Kid Part III.""The Karate Kid" was rebooted in 2010 with Jaden Smith (age 11) and Jackie Chan (age 55), though now that Macchio could pass for a sage instructor himself, we think it's time for another sequel to the original series. If the Sony suits didn't want to call it "The Karate Kid Part V" (though why would they?), they could go with something with more gravitas, like "Daniel-san" or even just "Daniel Larusso" (hey, it worked for "Rocky Balboa"). They'd also have to find a way to bring back Elisabeth Shue as Daniel's first squeeze, Ali Mills -- just because it would be awesome. Heck, have Hilary Swank be in it, too -- even Oscar-winning actresses like revisiting the embarrassing "highlights" of their early careers every now and then.One thing that's essential -- the new Karate Kid (who would, like in the reboot, be played by an actual kid) would have to call his teacher "Mr. Larusso," as an ode to Mr. Miyagi. And catch flies with chopsticks.Anyway, as the student has now indeed eclipsed the teacher, we'd like to think that Pat Morita -- who died in November 2005 at the age of 73 -- is somewhere out there taking pride in the early days of "Wax On, Wax Off."

In boyz n the hood, lawerence fishburne played cuba gooding jr's father but is only 6 years older than him in real life.He is 51

I think this makes me feel as old as any of the "man you're getting old" posts ever have.Karate Kid is 51? Johnny Lawrence and the rest of the Kobra Kai can't be far behind.

I created a thread for these, too lazy to search right now. Fennis might have the best one here.The latest feel old thing I saw was Schindler's List having a 20th Anniversary DVD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty much every animal star that was in a movie that is a decade or older is dead. That means Babe, Willy, and all the animals from Homeward Bound have gone the way of the dodo

You guys want to feel really old?

Everybody celebrity that you knew about 25 years ago is....

25 YEARS OLDER NOW! OMG!!!!
For me it has nothing to do with the younger one aging. It is all about the original older character.

It has to do with that fact that 25 years ago, Al Bundy, Uncle Phillip, Mr Miyagi etc all looked very old to us. Now that we are all approaching this age group I think it makes us realize how old we look to people in their teens and early 20's.

It hit me when guys my age or younger started retiring from sports.
That's the first time it hit me too, when I started seeing guys begin and end their careers in my adulthood.

Another one that always gets me; I had this Earl Weaver baseball game for my computer in high school. I loved that thing, and I loved creating players for it. I bought some book on the farm systems of every major league team and starting making entire farm clubs (yeah, I had a lot of dates). Anyway, one of the first players I remember making never made a huge name in the pros, but then one day I saw him managing a club, Eric Wedge. Wow, that made me feel old.

I help my dad coach a U14 girls soccer team. The other day we were at practice and my dad made a Matrix reference, none of the girls had a clue what The Matrix was. And I'm only 27, made me feel old :(

Users who are viewing this thread