What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

OFFICIAL: The Orville TV Show Thread (1 Viewer)

(HULK)

(Smash)
So, I had really low expectations.  However 4 episodes in I'm finding that this show is more Star Trek than the actual new Star Trek is.  The 2 most recent episodes in particular.  Sure, there is a bit of irreverent humor in every episode, but this show is not a parody like I expected.  What it is, is strangely so much better.

If you've been ignoring this in favor of Star Trek Discovery, time to stop.

I like it. I think if you are a Trek fan, you'd probably like it. 

Its not amazing, but its enjoyable.

I was in when I saw Palicki was going to be one of the leads. But I was a bit worried since MacFarlane has been a bit hit and miss, trending toward stoner humor, which isn't my thing. 

I will say I'm really enjoying this show, though. It's not a farce or spoof, but it does have a good dose of comedy. It's a bit like MCU movies in that way, and works well. 

McFarlane is a huge Star trek nerd. Next generation in particular. He's been saying for the last decade how he wants to make the next great Star Trek-like series but with more comedy.  

I have them recorded and plan on watching them. The pilot isn't the best so far though. I might just jump to episode 2 since there is a lot of setup dialogue for all the aliens that leads to some stale jokes. 

I am definitely enjoying this so far and confused as to why they are taking a show so highly promoted like this and throwing it up against football. Sunday night and then Thursday night? Aren't most sci-fi geeks men? I get many sci-fi people might not be the biggest sports fans, but why position a new show in such a poor way?

Watched the premiere, have a special liking for both the leads and, while i'm the opposite of a space wonk, had no problem with the premise (Galaxy Quest would have been better, though). Except.......EXCEPT i found the battling exes thing incrrrredibly hacky. The Vietnam show occupied my last two Sundays, but i've made no special effort to see their other airings and its behind even the rest of that stoopit Jessica Beal show on my small list from among the limited # of binge options my provider offers.

It has potential but they need to stop with the big Family Guy style sight gags and stick with the more off-the-cuff humor. But even with that, I don't know how successful "Star Trek TNG With Jokes" can be on a major network.

And most of the cast works so far, except for the two standard issue slackers on the bridge. They feel like a holdover from an earlier version of the show.

The Big Guy said:
I am definitely enjoying this so far and confused as to why they are taking a show so highly promoted like this and throwing it up against football. Sunday night and then Thursday night? Aren't most sci-fi geeks men? I get many sci-fi people might not be the biggest sports fans, but why position a new show in such a poor way?
Cause it's Fox. They've consistently misunderstood sci-fi audiences for years. Cancelled shows like Firefly and Almost human by running epsiodes out of order and on terrible time slots. Then complain that they don't get ratings.

The only difference here is that McFarlane has made the network a #### ton of money of the years. So he'll probably get a bit of leeway for the show to catch on.

It has potential but they need to stop with the big Family Guy style sight gags and stick with the more off-the-cuff humor. But even with that, I don't know how successful "Star Trek TNG With Jokes" can be on a major network.

And most of the cast works so far, except for the two standard issue slackers on the bridge. They feel like a holdover from an earlier version of the show.
I like the bridge guys. It makes it feel more like a real work environment when you have a couple of people who are capable but not necessarily the most professional or easy to work with. It also reinforces the idea that this isn't a crew made up of the best of the best. These are average people working together to do the job. 

I like the bridge guys. It makes it feel more like a real work environment when you have a couple of people who are capable but not necessarily the most professional or easy to work with. It also reinforces the idea that this isn't a crew made up of the best of the best. These are average people working together to do the job. 
That seems to be the high level premise. We've seen the best ships in "Starfleet" before. What about the regular schlubs just going to work in "Starfleet?"

aka "The Lower Decks" episode
No, those were low ranking officers, but they still were the best of their ranks. You had to be Starfleet elite to get a posting on the Enterprise. Top scores at the Academy, glowing recommendations from Co's, etc. 

These are the people who are able to do their jobs, but not exceptionally well. The pilot is the one possible exception, but he's hampered by his disdain for authority, complete unprofessionalism, and the fact he's apparently an idiot. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair enough.

Liking this show, and I agree that it has more of what I like about the Star Trek franchise than the new Star Trek. They marketed this as a comedy which doesn't do it justice. It does have some funny parts, but it is a solid sci fi. Seth did a good job.

This is one of the best shows on TV right now.  Really reminds me of Star Trek TNG with a funnier bent. 

Finally binged this after dvr'ing all episodes. Really liking it overall, especially the off the wall stuff like swearing, sexual innuendo and that it doesn't take itself too seriously.

Also love Palicki and Halston Sage.  :wub:

So "Majority Rule" was kind of, exactly like, Black Mirror's "Nosedive" episode. Still like this show, but thought this episode was a little too "serious". 

Made it through 20 minutes before turning the channel. Fan of the show. But seriously, the best plot line they could come up with was "Oh look, an Earth-like planet with an Earth-like problem"? Weak. You have a whole galaxy to play with. Come up with something original.

Made it through 20 minutes before turning the channel. Fan of the show. But seriously, the best plot line they could come up with was "Oh look, an Earth-like planet with an Earth-like problem"? Weak. You have a whole galaxy to play with. Come up with something original.
They seem to be going to Star Trek original series thought process of trying to make social commentary within the future sci fi show.  Look at what they have addressed so far:  Gay marriage and gender swapping with the baby, social media controlling the law/media/opinions, the enemy is a seriously religious zealot race with zero regard for anyone not of their belief, the race of people who place lower life forms into their zoo.

I have no problem with them doing this, as long as they do it in an entertaining and funny way, which is exactly what I expect from Seth McFarland.

Still pretty good IMO. And now the critics are on board as the scores match what the fans scores are on RT.

Love the show. But Halston Sage leaving sucks. Hopefully it’s just a hiatus while she’s filming other projects. 
Really liked her character.  Curious where this goes.  Not a big fan of her "interim" replacement with the two esophagus'.  

I've seen every episode. It's just so... weird... 

It doesn't feel right for some reason. It's just off somehow. I can't really explain it. The tone isn't really right? The sets are too cavernous and big. The themes are too simple for an hour-long show... there's a lot of "air" in it... Dunno. I watch, sure, but I don't quite get it yet.
It's far from perfect but I like where it's heading. 

I'm a fan and am still watching, although I don't watch TV so I am catching it on Hulu, which I think gets the episodes about a week after it airs on TV.

It doesn't feel right for some reason. It's just off somehow. I can't really explain it. The tone isn't really right? The sets are too cavernous and big. The themes are too simple for an hour-long show... there's a lot of "air" in it... Dunno. I watch, sure, but I don't quite get it yet.
That could be a product of what McFarlane was pitching vs what his real vision for the show is. Seth obviously had to pitch it as a comedy to get Fox to approve. Slowly he has been making the adjustments to what he really wants for the show. A drama similar to TNG but with a bit more humor than TNG. As he got the third season go ahead, I think he'll allow the writers to really open it up for themes and story arcs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope they do more weird planets (instead of most being earth-like), more sex, more edge. 

It’s no The Expanse but I still like it. 

She is so good looking. Wow.

Also - I like the show.
Me too on both. She looked fantastic in her non-uniform bad ### at the end of the season.

I’ll be honest that I can’t stand the Mocklyn or however you spell it story line. The whole ripped from the news sexual identity stuff was so beaten over our heads. I was a bit worried about the falling in love with a robot story line but that was necessary given what followed (tied it all in perfectly) and I enjoyed the season. It’s still funny but it was good this season.

I watched season one and I got the same vibe. The show felt very awkward. DVRd season two then never watched it. I'm not overly excited about it but maybe I'll catch up before season three kicks off.

This show is a true throwback to Star Trek TOS in the sense that they do try to show social injustice and needed change within the storylines, while telling a good story. Look at a couple of the things that they did in that vein:

Moclan gender issues

Social media "likes" planet 

This show is a true throwback to Star Trek TOS in the sense that they do try to show social injustice and needed change within the storylines, while telling a good story. Look at a couple of the things that they did in that vein:

Moclan gender issues

Social media "likes" planet 
I liked the social media one and even the robot love (once the moved the arc on) but didn’t like the gender one. If it was one episode, sure but it’s come up so many times and of course they have to do a rip off of Black Panther at the end of it. It just was a forced story line to start and to just continue to beat a dead horse made those episodes not as good.

Users who are viewing this thread