What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Austin Ekeler, WAS (1 Viewer)

So what's the deal with this two week exempt  list possibility?

Possible that Gordon is out not just this week, but week 5 also? I'd take it.

Also hoping that maybe the two sides felt it was best Gordon reported in order to work out a trade.

I traded Ekeler last week for Odell Beckham.  I was asked who I wanted for Ekeler and I said Beckham, thinking he would counter, but he agreed to it right away. 
I was able to get David Johnson straight up for Ekeler in one league, and it was last night and got someone to bite. I wanted another player on another team but got a no. I went fishing and aimed high for other players on other teams but got zip. I know the problems with Zona’s offense (among other things) and I know what could happen if Gordon gets hurt, but DJ as my third RB, I guess I’ll take it after researching a bit. At least DJ is catching the ball/staying active. I hope this works out for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
If his OC and coach change, then yes, he's buy low. Right now, though? Do you really want a guy averaging four targets a game?

I was able to get David Johnson straight up for Ekeler in one league, and it was last night and got someone to bite. I wanted another player on another team but got a no. I went fishing and aimed high for other players on other teams but got zip. I know the problems with Zona’s offense (among other things) and I know what could happen if Gordon gets hurt, but DJ as my third RB, I guess I’ll take it after researching a bit. At least DJ is catching the ball/staying active. I hope this works out for me.
I might have sold low at the time but feeling better about it today.  Sent Ekeler, Hilton and Chark for Davante Adams, Montgomery and Westbrook.  Just need Adams to live up to that 1st round pick and I'll be happy.

I'm not sure I would jump on that in Dynasty. Doesn't Ekeler's value skyrocket if/when Gordon is gone next year?
There is still Jackson and an entire draft and FA period before that.  Personally, I don't think Ekeler is the answer as a bell cow (unless he can add weight to his frame).  

Ekeler certainly has a strong case for a Kamara/Ingram-esk split with Gordon when he gets back. I think some of you are underselling just how good he has been to start the season.

The Ekeler owner just offered him to me for Waller.  Seriously contemplating it since I only have David Johnson, Josh Jacobs, Rex and Duke. 

Ekeler certainly has a strong case for a Kamara/Ingram-esk split with Gordon when he gets back. I think some of you are underselling just how good he has been to start the season.
Ekeler is ranked 8th overall for running back offense according to PFF. He's much lower for a pure running score, much higher for passing work.

He's been a stud in both standard and PPR.  How much he drops off fully depends on your scoring.  PPR he drops from RB1 to RB2.  Standard he drops from RB1 to Flex.

Hairy Snowman said:
There is still Jackson and an entire draft and FA period before that.  Personally, I don't think Ekeler is the answer as a bell cow (unless he can add weight to his frame).  
Whether or not Ekeler is the answer as the Chargers' future bell cow RB, he doesn't need to add weight. He is already well known as being the strongest player on the team pound for pound.

Whether or not Ekeler is the answer as the Chargers' future bell cow RB, he doesn't need to add weight. He is already well known as being the strongest player on the team pound for pound.
Strength isn't why I think he would need to gain weight.  It is being in the role of nail being pounded by 11 hammers 500 times in 16 weeks.  I don't think he has the frame for it.  Not many people do. 

That is not saying he can't be a great player.  May have a great season this season yet.  Football is funny.  But, talent wise, I see him more as a Tevin Coleman/Charlie Garner type player than an Ezekiel Elliot or LeVeon Bell or a Shady McCoy.   

Of course, I could be completely wrong, but that is my first blush opinion. 

I have Gordon and tried to trade James White for Ekeler (non PPR). Got rejected. 

As an Ekeler owner in three leagues I'm a bit bummed that Gordon is coming back, but two of those leagues are PPR and Ekeler should still get 8-12 touches per game even when Gordon is back.  Obviously much less than he was getting, but that should still be enough to be a solid flex option.

Going forward, Ekeler is listed at 5'10" and 200 lbs.  He's also very strong for his size.  I don't think his style fits running him 20-25 times per game, but I think he's shown enough that the Chargers don't necessarily need to go out and get another RB this offseason.

Austin Ekeler had 18 carries for 60 yards and a touchdown and caught five passes for 62 yards and a second score in Week 4 against Miami.

Ekeler was all the Chargers needed in a second-half blowout of Miami. He gave the Chargers the lead with an 18-yard catch and run late in the first half and iced the game with a goal-line plunge in the fourth quarter. Melvin Gordon was active after ending his holdout but didn't play any snaps. Gordon is going to be reinserted as the starter next week, so this is the last of Ekeler's days as workhorse. Ekeler will still have Week 5 standalone value behind Gordon, but he's going to be gameflow dependent.

Sep 29, 2019, 4:35 PM ET

Per Bill Barnwell on Twitter:

Austin Ekeler finished his month as a starter with 490 yards from scrimmage and six touchdowns. Melvin Gordon didn’t top those figures over a four-week span once during his first three seasons as a pro.

Per Bill Barnwell on Twitter:

Austin Ekeler finished his month as a starter with 490 yards from scrimmage and six touchdowns. Melvin Gordon didn’t top those figures over a four-week span once during his first three seasons as a pro.
I don't think anyone questioned whether Ekeler could do it over a few games.  People were questioning whether he could do it over an entire season.  Ekeler did a nice job but the Chargers are much better off with Gordon back and yes I believe Ekeler still plays a huge role in this offense.  Off course his touches take a hit but that's a good thing for the success of the Chargers. 

Well, based on the state of the Chargers offense right now,  Ekeler may see even more snaps with Gordon back. He's likely going to be their slot WR, and still mix in for 6-8 carries, and probably some jet sweep action. I think 7-40 rushing and 7-70 receiving is a good over/under for Ekeler this week, with decent TD chances. Say 40%? 

Could be the Chargers version of Percy Harvin these next couple weeks. Only downgrade is TD's, but possible catches could go up.

Well, based on the state of the Chargers offense right now,  Ekeler may see even more snaps with Gordon back. He's likely going to be their slot WR, and still mix in for 6-8 carries, and probably some jet sweep action. I think 7-40 rushing and 7-70 receiving is a good over/under for Ekeler this week, with decent TD chances. Say 40%? 

Could be the Chargers version of Percy Harvin these next couple weeks. Only downgrade is TD's, but possible catches could go up.
those are the numbers I'm hoping for.  I think 6 for 35 and 7 catches for 65 is more likely though.  I'll take 100 yards all day though. 

ESPN's Eric Williams reports the Chargers will split carries between Melvin Gordon and Austin Ekeler.

Coach Anthony Lynn stated, "Whenever (Gordon) is ready to go, he will be the No. 1 guy and get the bulk of the snaps. But obviously he's not there right now." Gordon himself said when asked about his role, "I don't really know, but I'm eager to find out ... I think it will be a lot of me and Austin flipping -- me going in, and then him going in -- flip-flopping. We'll be splitting the ball a lot." Fire up both Gordon and Ekeler as RB2s this week.

SOURCE: Eric Williams on Twitter.

Oct 4, 2019, 5:04 PM ET

Are you hearing this from somewhere or is this just speculation?

Are you hearing this from somewhere or is this just speculation?
A Chargers beat writer suggested it could happen, but that was when it looked like Williams and Benjamin were both unlikely to play. They both seem like game-time decisions now, so who knows?

The numbers I threw out were speculation on my part, if that scenario comes to fruition. 

PPR cheatcode. 

I'm sure Gordon will slowly steal back more and more of this work to become startable himself...but it seems starting both will be viable. And Ekeler alone will remain viable for the non-Gordon owners. 

Austin Ekeler caught 15-of-16 targets for 86 receiving yards and rushed three times for seven yards in the Chargers' Week 5 loss to the Broncos.

It looked like the Chargers were going to use Melvin Gordon more if game script allowed -- MGIII played early and had nine more carries than Ekeler -- but Ekeler took advantage of the Chargers trailing. In fact, he essentially became the entire offense, especially since Philip Rivers was willing to take what was given to him underneath. It resulted in a Chargers franchise-record 15 receptions. Moving forward, it looks like Ekeler and Gordon will take on very different roles, though this was Gordon's first game of the season so things could change. Ekeler is an RB1/2 in PPR leagues against the Steelers at home next week.

Oct 6, 2019, 7:09 PM ET

Austin Ekeler rushed five times for 14 yards in the Chargers' Week 6 loss to the Steelers, adding three receptions for 14 additional yards.

There wasn’t much room for either of the Chargers’ RBs to get going Sunday night. Overall, they converted 14 carries into 32 scoreless yards. Ekeler displayed some strong tackle-breaking ability on a few of his touches, but was ultimately out-snapped 37-to-28 by Melvin Gordon. The larger concern with the RB usage for Ekeler was Gordon’s identical target share, as it appears Ekeler will still have to share the load moving forward even with negative game script. Treat Ekeler as more of a boom-or-bust RB3 in Week 7 at the Titans.

The coaching staff made a huge mistake by switching so many snaps to Gordon. The offense has been terrible the past 2 weeks, perfectly coinciding with Gordon's return. The OL is terrible and getting worse seemingly every week. Ekeler is much more likely to be productive behind that OL.

The coaching staff made a huge mistake by switching so many snaps to Gordon. The offense has been terrible the past 2 weeks, perfectly coinciding with Gordon's return. The OL is terrible and getting worse seemingly every week. Ekeler is much more likely to be productive behind that OL.
The running back situation is not a huge positive, nor a negative for the Chargers.  Discussing that position for the team in relation to them winning or losing games is almost immaterial.

Awful. Is the ride over or did everything just go wrong? Same question for Gordon too I guess
I think the ride is over if you were counting on Ekeler being a solid RB2, or Gordon being a passable RB1. This is a pass 1st offense(by necessity) and has enough weapons that the RB's will often be left in the cold if they don't get in the end zone.

I think some of Ekeler's production, was due to Williams, Henry, and Gordon all being out, or very limited. Its effected Allen too.

The Chargers offense will be better, probably as soon as this week against the Titans, but weeks 1-3 are very much in the rearview.

The running back situation is not a huge positive, nor a negative for the Chargers.  Discussing that position for the team in relation to them winning or losing games is almost immaterial.
Week 1 - RBs had 219 YFS and 3 TDs in OT win

Week 2 - RBs had 200 YFS and 1 TD in 3 point loss... Chargers missed 2 FGs and had 60 yard and 22 yard TDs by the RBs called back on questionable calls... Chargers should have won this game

Week 3 - RBs had 110 YFS and 0 TDs in 7 point loss

Week 4 - RBs had 187 YFS and 3 TDs in 20 point win

-- Gordon returns --

Week 5 - RBs had 139 YFS and 0 TDs in 7 point loss

Week 6 - RBs had 76 YFS and 0 TDs in 7 point loss, but the game wasn't nearly as close as score indicates

I don't think this data supports your stance on this.

- Gordon returns --

Week 5 - RBs had 139 YFS and 0 TDs in 7 point loss

Week 6 - RBs had 76 YFS and 0 TDs in 7 point loss, but the game wasn't nearly as close as score indicates

I don't think this data supports your stance on this.
The return of Henry and gamescript are large factors I think you're being willfully ignorant on as far as lat night goes.

The return of Henry and gamescript are large factors I think you're being willfully ignorant on as far as lat night goes.
I disagree. This tangent started by me posting that the coaching staff made a huge mistake shifting so many snaps from Ekeler to Gordon the past 2 weeks. I don't think Henry's return has any bearing on that stance, and the game script last night evolved in part because of that bad coaching decision.

I disagree. This tangent started by me posting that the coaching staff made a huge mistake shifting so many snaps from Ekeler to Gordon the past 2 weeks. I don't think Henry's return has any bearing on that stance, and the game script last night evolved in part because of that bad coaching decision.
So your position here is that having Melvin Gordon back actually makes the Chargers worse.

I mean sure you can say that. But I don't think it's the fault of Gordon that caused Rivers to overthrow him on a screen and then throw a pick to Bush (granted off a tip) in the first 6 minutes of the game to go down 14-0.

davearm said:
So your position here is that having Melvin Gordon back actually makes the Chargers worse.
Having Gordon back and forcing snaps and touches to him over Ekeler in his first two games back has made the Chargers worse. There is really no disputing that, it is fact. It's not really Gordon's fault, it is the fault of the coaching staff.

ShamrockPride said:
I mean sure you can say that. But I don't think it's the fault of Gordon that caused Rivers to overthrow him on a screen and then throw a pick to Bush (granted off a tip) in the first 6 minutes of the game to go down 14-0.
Drive #1: Gordon had 2 carries for 1 yard, putting the Chargers in 3rd and 9, and Benjamin dropped the 3rd down pass. Drive over.

Drive #2: Gordon was the target on the lateral that was overthrown and returned for a TD. It is possible that occurred at least partly due to lack of chemistry between Rivers and Gordon, and possible that it wouldn't have happened if Ekeler was on the field instead of Gordon.

Drive #3: Gordon had 1 carry for 7 yards that put the Chargers in 3rd and 4, and they converted. Then the tipped pass was intercepted, ending the drive.

Drive #4: Gordon had 3 carries for 5 yards, which contributed to the drive stalling.

By this time, the first quarter was essentially over, and the Chargers were trailing 21-0. The usage of Gordon was absolutely a contributing factor.

The current Chargers OL cannot block well enough for Gordon to be effective. Gordon is a RB who, for the most part, gets what is blocked. He lacks vision. This is very well known among Chargers fans. The team would be much better off giving snaps and touches to Ekeler and Jackson (when healthy) given the state of the OL.

The coaching staff apparently feels differently, but they are being proven wrong on the field so far.

Users who are viewing this thread